HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft - Pick #80 - Anthony Duclair - Signs ELC with NYR - 1/2/14

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
  #76
district9
Registered User
 
district9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
The Simmonds comparison doesn't make any sense, the players are completely different and it bums me out to think that people see the skin color and have to compare the players. I think Grabner is the most realistic comparison that I've seen. I'm a huge fan of this pic and two friends of mine who are Ramparts fans have told me the Rangers got a complete steal of a player in the 3rd round with Duclair. I'm hopeful he can fill out a little, but I do like the kid to potentially compete for an NHL spot

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:59 PM
  #77
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
The Simmonds comparison doesn't make any sense, the players are completely different and it bums me out to think that people see the skin color and have to compare the players. I think Grabner is the most realistic comparison that I've seen. I'm a huge fan of this pic and two friends of mine who are Ramparts fans have told me the Rangers got a complete steal of a player in the 3rd round with Duclair. I'm hopeful he can fill out a little, but I do like the kid to potentially compete for an NHL spot
Agree and I think that's the easy way out a lot of sites take, it's either E. Kane or Simmonds, but I don't see Simmonds at all, think Duclair has more pure skill.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:40 AM
  #78
hockey365
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North of MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Agree and I think that's the easy way out a lot of sites take, it's either E. Kane or Simmonds, but I don't see Simmonds at all, think Duclair has more pure skill.
From what I've read, he is in the process of filling up. He entered the league at 16 weighing 159lbs, showed up the next year at 180lbs. Like Constantin stated on this subject, Duclair's objective is to show up at the pro-camp next Sept at 190lbs.

I don't like either comparisons, not the E. Kane and especially not the Simmonds. Duclair is a way better skater then both and plays a skills game (if comparing to Simmonds) He also is a shifty skater, way more than Kane.

I've seen him at 16 before his injury, he was swift, fast, fluid and very shifty.

hockey365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:54 AM
  #79
hockey365
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North of MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
LOL, if he will have Bure's skating and Sakic's shot he'll be one of the greatest players of all time.
Check out his video clips at 16...... The potential is there..... He needs to figure out how to make everything work together and when best to utilize his tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pj4bYgrsUs
http://hockeyprospect.com/tag/Anthony-Duclair

This is not me saying this, but those who do scouting for a living.
- Best skater of this draft
- Speed and agility
- Great shot at high speed
- Shiftiness and beats defenders consistantly

Isn't it what you read about him?

Now, he needs to figure out how to make all these things work together and be consistant. If he does...... the potential is off the wall.

Here's others thinking similar thoughts http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/...thony-duclair/

hockey365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:56 AM
  #80
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,175
vCash: 500
From his highlights, Duclair reminds me of Grabner.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:13 AM
  #81
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
The Simmonds comparison doesn't make any sense, the players are completely different and it bums me out to think that people see the skin color and have to compare the players. I think Grabner is the most realistic comparison that I've seen. I'm a huge fan of this pic and two friends of mine who are Ramparts fans have told me the Rangers got a complete steal of a player in the 3rd round with Duclair. I'm hopeful he can fill out a little, but I do like the kid to potentially compete for an NHL spot
If this was directed at me, I wasn't talking about how he played, just his body type. He's lanky, like Simmonds is. He isn't filled in and thick like Kane has become. I'm not sure he is ever going to be able to get his weight over 185.

Grabner is what, 6'0 180? I'd say that's about what Duclair will stay at. I know the sites all talk about how he must add strength, I'm just not sure he will add much if any.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:50 AM
  #82
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,117
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
If this was directed at me, I wasn't talking about how he played, just his body type. He's lanky, like Simmonds is. He isn't filled in and thick like Kane has become. I'm not sure he is ever going to be able to get his weight over 185.

Grabner is what, 6'0 180? I'd say that's about what Duclair will stay at. I know the sites all talk about how he must add strength, I'm just not sure he will add much if any.
I don't agree. A 16 yo being able to gain 22 lbs in one summer is probably going to keep on growing at 17 and 18. Physically, he has a lot of potential.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:55 AM
  #83
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I don't agree. A 16 yo being able to gain 22 lbs in one summer is probably going to keep on growing at 17 and 18. Physically, he has a lot of potential.
If he does get up to 190-200 it's most likely going to impact his speed and agility. Going from 150-175 is much easier than going from 175-200.

And I agree he has lots of physical potential, but it wont be because he's 200 pounds. He is a high speed shifty type guy, and those guys are almost always a bit on the smaller side weight wise. Just like Hags.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:37 PM
  #84
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,690
vCash: 500
Tony D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
  #85
hockey365
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North of MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
If he does get up to 190-200 it's most likely going to impact his speed and agility. Going from 150-175 is much easier than going from 175-200.

And I agree he has lots of physical potential, but it wont be because he's 200 pounds. He is a high speed shifty type guy, and those guys are almost always a bit on the smaller side weight wise. Just like Hags.
You have a very good point, but allow me to disagree. If you read French, I encourage you to read some of the articles in the Quebec newspapers on Duclair and the type of training he did last summer.

He moved to Toronto and trained with his uncle, who was a fullback in the CFL. They trained for power, speed and agility. The type of training they do is based on what football players have done for decades. They focus on getting the speedy muscles stronger and faster in order to support the added muscles.

Therefore, if football players can be over 220lbs and still be speedy/shifty, why not hockey players?

What Constantin reported on this board, is that Duclair wants to reach 210lbs in a couple of yrs. I believe Constantin since he's been following the Remparts for a while and I believe Duclair will do it, as he's proved it last summer by gaining 20 lbs.

But you are correct, going from 180 upwards is more difficult...... but can be done.

hockey365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:24 PM
  #86
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 500
He reminds me of Hagelin with his speed and "dog chasing a bone" puck retrieval skills.

He might be a little bit better of a finisher though?

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:36 PM
  #87
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,248
vCash: 500
Very good finisher, some clips actually remind me of a young Gaborik as far as popping into the play at the right time.

I think I like the Grabner comparison best myself.

I've been watching the videos from the prospect camp and especially watching Duclair and he's definitely willing to go to the dirty areas, has some really slick hands and very good agility. He's one of those players who the puck always finds in traffic because he's able to get his stick/skate on it without getting off balance.

At 17 he looks like a very good prospect. I think given all the variables this is the Rangers best pick in the draft. Reason being is he was already motivated regardless what team drafted him, but the fact it was the Rangers and his dad is a big fan, probably makes him that much more motivated, seems like a tight knit family.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:14 PM
  #88
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
You have a very good point, but allow me to disagree. If you read French, I encourage you to read some of the articles in the Quebec newspapers on Duclair and the type of training he did last summer.

He moved to Toronto and trained with his uncle, who was a fullback in the CFL. They trained for power, speed and agility. The type of training they do is based on what football players have done for decades. They focus on getting the speedy muscles stronger and faster in order to support the added muscles.

Therefore, if football players can be over 220lbs and still be speedy/shifty, why not hockey players?

What Constantin reported on this board, is that Duclair wants to reach 210lbs in a couple of yrs. I believe Constantin since he's been following the Remparts for a while and I believe Duclair will do it, as he's proved it last summer by gaining 20 lbs.

But you are correct, going from 180 upwards is more difficult...... but can be done.
Well it's the same for football players, the smaller in size, the more shifty they are (overall anyway, there are always a couple flukes). That's why you see such clear separation in size by position in football. Corners are roughly 190-200, safety's 200-220, linebackers 220-250, etc.

And from watching guys bulk up in football, it's rare they gain significant weight (depends on their frame, but 20+ pounds on a 5'11 player is very significant) and maintain the athleticism they had at a lower size

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:45 PM
  #89
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Well it's the same for football players, the smaller in size, the more shifty they are (overall anyway, there are always a couple flukes). That's why you see such clear separation in size by position in football. Corners are roughly 190-200, safety's 200-220, linebackers 220-250, etc.

And from watching guys bulk up in football, it's rare they gain significant weight (depends on their frame, but 20+ pounds on a 5'11 player is very significant) and maintain the athleticism they had at a lower size
I agree for the most part, but to gain 20 lbs in the summer from 16-17 years old is pretty good, even if he get's half that this summer he'll be on track.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:47 AM
  #90
JeffMangum
I'm v
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,906
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Tony D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES. ****ing sick nick name.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:53 PM
  #91
hockey365
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North of MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Well it's the same for football players, the smaller in size, the more shifty they are (overall anyway, there are always a couple flukes). That's why you see such clear separation in size by position in football. Corners are roughly 190-200, safety's 200-220, linebackers 220-250, etc.

And from watching guys bulk up in football, it's rare they gain significant weight (depends on their frame, but 20+ pounds on a 5'11 player is very significant) and maintain the athleticism they had at a lower size
FYI, Duclair, himself speaks about gaining weight
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/36...r-coming-to-ny

hockey365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:58 PM
  #92
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,248
vCash: 500
Scored a really nice goal in the scrimmage today and another nice one on a breakaway.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:07 PM
  #93
Leetch3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
don't think these were posted

New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers 5 Jul
INSTAVID: #NYR @aduclair10 does it again, this time on a penalty shot after taking a big hit. http://instagram.com/p/bY3CKAPdEw/
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers 5 Jul
INSTAVID: Sweet shootout move by @aduclair10 at #NYR Prospect Camp. http://instagram.com/p/bYyorBPdOA/
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:36 PM
  #94
Revo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Very good finisher, some clips actually remind me of a young Gaborik as far as popping into the play at the right time.

I think I like the Grabner comparison best myself.

I've been watching the videos from the prospect camp and especially watching Duclair and he's definitely willing to go to the dirty areas, has some really slick hands and very good agility. He's one of those players who the puck always finds in traffic because he's able to get his stick/skate on it without getting off balance.

At 17 he looks like a very good prospect. I think given all the variables this is the Rangers best pick in the draft. Reason being is he was already motivated regardless what team drafted him, but the fact it was the Rangers and his dad is a big fan, probably makes him that much more motivated, seems like a tight knit family.
For the bolded: Yes and no, I find that was his main flaw to end the year. He got better on pretty much all aspects after the «near-suspension wake up call», but he couldn't finish... although a decent part of it was bad luck, because he got goals stolen away from him (more than proportionnal) and not much fluke goals going his way.

I described him near the beginning of the year, but alot happened meanwhile, so I'll give it another shot... as bad as it can be. If you're not happy with it, whatever.


Skating is a strong point, he was arguably as fast as MacKinnon in his first year (still a bit less acceleration), but slowed down a bit in his second season. Still a very good skater, and the early injury + getting used to more weight can explain it without a problem.

Wrist shot is pretty good, I don't know if it's elite, but in any case, it's not a drawback. Slapshot seems to be in the same range, but he doesn't use it much at all.

Puck handling skills are very good, the more impressive part, and possibly his best asset is, on top of his game he can dangle very well at high speed. That's not given to everyone, even career danglers.

Physicality is an interesting point... he has gained a nice amount of weight between 16 and 17, which shows he can progress, but he's not there yet. He's not a hit machine by any stretch, and more should be expected of him most of the time, but he seems like a legitimate «just let him fill out» player. After all, he has shown a mean streak at times, and I don't think it's a question of being afraid. It's not like some other prospects for which projecting a more physical game seems like a big stretch. On the plus side, before his injury, he crashed the net all the time... he started doing that again later in the season, certainly a point to watch for next season.

For the more «controversial» part: I believe his playmaking is underrated. Some of his best plays (alot of them actually) were passes. On the downside, and that was one of his biggest flaws this past season... he had too much of a tendency to pass rather than shoot, even at times when shooting was obviously the better option.

For the most controversial part: I believe his defensive game is underrated. It's not orthodox. It's not a «block shots and eat dirt» player. But he somehow makes it work more often than one could expect. As anecdotical evidence (not what I'm basing myself on, just a bonus) a number of his best highlights are of stealing the puck at his own blue line and getting the puck to be a threat in the other zone surprisingly fast. Also, has been one of the tops on the team for ± in both his years with the Remparts.

Finishing skills were a bit underwhelming to finish the year, I thought... having a breakout year or not relies on that, in his case. Was it bad luck? Was it a lost of confidence? Of instinct? Who knows. He can make people regret (in the perspective of prospect pools, not actual NHL play, obviously) not taking him early, as soon as next season, if he can finish plays.


Could have forgotten stuff... we'll see.

Revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:02 PM
  #95
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
For the bolded: Yes and no, I find that was his main flaw to end the year. He got better on pretty much all aspects after the «near-suspension wake up call», but he couldn't finish... although a decent part of it was bad luck, because he got goals stolen away from him (more than proportionnal) and not much fluke goals going his way.

I described him near the beginning of the year, but alot happened meanwhile, so I'll give it another shot... as bad as it can be. If you're not happy with it, whatever.


Skating is a strong point, he was arguably as fast as MacKinnon in his first year (still a bit less acceleration), but slowed down a bit in his second season. Still a very good skater, and the early injury + getting used to more weight can explain it without a problem.

Wrist shot is pretty good, I don't know if it's elite, but in any case, it's not a drawback. Slapshot seems to be in the same range, but he doesn't use it much at all.

Puck handling skills are very good, the more impressive part, and possibly his best asset is, on top of his game he can dangle very well at high speed. That's not given to everyone, even career danglers.

Physicality is an interesting point... he has gained a nice amount of weight between 16 and 17, which shows he can progress, but he's not there yet. He's not a hit machine by any stretch, and more should be expected of him most of the time, but he seems like a legitimate «just let him fill out» player. After all, he has shown a mean streak at times, and I don't think it's a question of being afraid. It's not like some other prospects for which projecting a more physical game seems like a big stretch. On the plus side, before his injury, he crashed the net all the time... he started doing that again later in the season, certainly a point to watch for next season.

For the more «controversial» part: I believe his playmaking is underrated. Some of his best plays (alot of them actually) were passes. On the downside, and that was one of his biggest flaws this past season... he had too much of a tendency to pass rather than shoot, even at times when shooting was obviously the better option.

For the most controversial part: I believe his defensive game is underrated. It's not orthodox. It's not a «block shots and eat dirt» player. But he somehow makes it work more often than one could expect. As anecdotical evidence (not what I'm basing myself on, just a bonus) a number of his best highlights are of stealing the puck at his own blue line and getting the puck to be a threat in the other zone surprisingly fast. Also, has been one of the tops on the team for ± in both his years with the Remparts.

Finishing skills were a bit underwhelming to finish the year, I thought... having a breakout year or not relies on that, in his case. Was it bad luck? Was it a lost of confidence? Of instinct? Who knows. He can make people regret (in the perspective of prospect pools, not actual NHL play, obviously) not taking him early, as soon as next season, if he can finish plays.


Could have forgotten stuff... we'll see.
Pretty fair assessment IMO. He needs to improve in some areas but he seems to be aware of those weaknesses and making a conscious effort to improve on them. You've most likely seen a lot more of him than I have, but I was certainly impressed with what I saw in his clips from prospect camp this week, as well as the other stuff I've seen on him.

It's good to know he doesn't shy away, while maybe not the most effective player physically right now at least he has it in him. Much easier to get him to do it consistently and effectively than to get a player who doesn't do it to start doing it.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:44 AM
  #96
DoobeeDoobeeDoo
The Doobster
 
DoobeeDoobeeDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
I have always been a fan of Duclair's game, if he were draft eligible last year he probably would've gone in the 1st round. He might be undersized but I think it's a good pick at #80 for sure.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:32 AM
  #97
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobeeDoobeeDoo View Post
I have always been a fan of Duclair's game, if he were draft eligible last year he probably would've gone in the 1st round. He might be undersized but I think it's a good pick at #80 for sure.
Probably would have went mid to late first maybe early second this year if not for the injury. Which wasn't major, but did change his game for a stretch.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
  #98
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: the alps
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Well it's the same for football players, the smaller in size, the more shifty they are (overall anyway, there are always a couple flukes). That's why you see such clear separation in size by position in football. Corners are roughly 190-200, safety's 200-220, linebackers 220-250, etc.

And from watching guys bulk up in football, it's rare they gain significant weight (depends on their frame, but 20+ pounds on a 5'11 player is very significant) and maintain the athleticism they had at a lower size
Football players are also a couple of years older when going pro.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:03 PM
  #99
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobeeDoobeeDoo View Post
I have always been a fan of Duclair's game, if he were draft eligible last year he probably would've gone in the 1st round. He might be undersized but I think it's a good pick at #80 for sure.
strongly doubt it.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:48 PM
  #100
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
strongly doubt it.
Well he was projected as a 1st rounder after last year so it's not extremely doubtful.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.