HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob on Bryz: Philly is a 'severe city' for goalies

Old
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
What is the chance that we can stop talking about Bryzgalov within the next year?
We are talking about Philadelphia as a tough city to be a goaltender..that is the main context of the thread. Seriously, what are the chances of you ending your attempt at censorship on anything related to this topic? If Mason craps out and we continue to have a goalie carousel then are you going to lament the same thing and say we should move on? Again to what? More uncertainty in net?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:27 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
We are talking about Philadelphia as a tough city to be a goaltender..that is the main context of the thread. Seriously, what are the chances of you ending your attempt at censorship on anything related to this topic? If Mason craps out and we continue to have a goalie carousel then are you going to lament the same thing and say we should move on? Again to what? More uncertainty in net?
No man, calm down. I just don't understand why he keeps getting brought up as some ******** still hurting our team. If Mason craps the bed next year, there won't be as big a backlash because Mason is signed to a 1 year deal. It's really an easy fix.

Philly is a tough city to be a goalie, a tough city to be a QB, a tough city to be a starting pitcher, etc. It's tough everywhere, but these positions are put under a ridiculous microscope by the media and fans alike. My only beef with this topic is that rather than talking about how tough it is to play here, the topic, it becomes an immediate character assassination on Bryzgalov. I am glad he's gone, but I want him to be gone in all facets. It's over!

07-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Appleyard

Half the comments on here back him up on what he purportedly 'said' more than a page full of stats, about the media stirring, and fans believing/being flipped at the turn of a switch!

An off the cuff comment to a Russian hockey writer/mainly blogger, (who looks about 12 and lives in Riga seemingly) not published in a magazine or reputable website, but posted on twitter, which the Philly media somehow trawls out, picks up, and is the only media outlet running with it!

If that is not major 'seagulls following the trawler' I do not know what is.

Within a minute people go from 'hey, Bob was an awesome, hard working guy who we should have kept' to 'Bob is ANTICHRIST!'

Not saying Bob didn't say this, but one line from a blogger/twitterer, what was the context etc, and why did CSN run it in the first place/ not the whole thing!

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Guess I'm just tired of seeing CSN Philly putting out articles about a guy who is no longer part of the team. Also, when I say articles, I mean stuff that is non-news, tabloid spew that I could read in the Enquirer if I wanted to. Who the hell cares what Sergei Bobrovsky said? Chris nailed it in an earlier post. No one jumped on Bryzgalov until his play started to falter greatly.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
No man, calm down. I just don't understand why he keeps getting brought up as some ******** still hurting our team. If Mason craps the bed next year, there won't be as big a backlash because Mason is signed to a 1 year deal. It's really an easy fix.

Philly is a tough city to be a goalie, a tough city to be a QB, a tough city to be a starting pitcher, etc. It's tough everywhere, but these positions are put under a ridiculous microscope by the media and fans alike. My only beef with this topic is that rather than talking about how tough it is to play here, the topic, it becomes an immediate character assassination on Bryzgalov. I am glad he's gone, but I want him to be gone in all facets. It's over!
Because as Snider and Holmgren admitted he was a "mistake" and a big mistake that we are trying to still correct. It's only logical that there is a correlation between Bryz and Philadelphia goalie hell since he was the most recent mistake. As far as the character assassination that is just something that can't be controlled but again it's only a natural manifestation.

Yeah Mason could be a smaller mistake but if we continue down this path of goalie uncertaintly you can't just chalk it up as occurring in some vacuum. There has to be context. I mean how long do we continue to mishandle the goaltending situation before somebody pays the price (namely Holmgren)?

No matter how it's framed..with Bryz brought up or not (which I don't know how he can't be) we have a goaltending problem in this city and it needs to get resolved one way or another and I'm not talking about panicking and not doing our homework like we did when we acquired Bryz...

Old
07-03-2013, 03:41 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Because as Snider and Holmgren admitted he was a "mistake" and a big mistake that we are trying to still correct. It's only logical that there is a correlation between Bryz and Philadelphia goalie hell since he was the most recent mistake. As far as the character assassination that is just something that can't be controlled but again it's only a natural manifestation.

Yeah Mason could be a smaller mistake but if we continue down this path of goalie uncertaintly you can't just chalk it up as occurring in some vacuum. There has to be context. I mean how long do we continue to mishandle the goaltending situation before somebody pays the price (namely Holmgren)?

No matter how it's framed..with Bryz brought up or not (which I don't know how he can't be) we have a goaltending problem in this city and it needs to get resolved one way or another and I'm not talking about panicking and not doing our homework like we did when we acquired Bryz...
I agree with what you're saying and totally agree with your development & homework point. I honestly can't figure it out, though. So many teams at least get lucky with a goalie they draft or sign, seems like any goalie the Flyers draft doesn't pan out. Boucher was the last one I think, and he didn't really pan out in the way we would hope to see. Ouellet didn't really get a chance but he never became anything special. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of guys. DeSerres, Kovar, Hovinen, Backlund, I admit I'm just naming guys I can remember who may not have had lofty expectations, but it seems like they can't even make it through the minors to get here. Is it a problem with our system as a whole?

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Garbage Goal

I mean, the entire first page of this topic is an example of what Bob and others have referenced. Bob gives a slightly vague, harmless criticism of a fan-base that's notorious for giving lots of criticism to it's players and suddenly Bob goes from someone we wish we didn't move or we all loved to "**** you Bob".

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Is it a problem with our system as a whole?
I think so....there is something fundamentally adrift with respect to how we draft and develop goalies and D men. I mean luck plays into it but like they say you make your own luck too. If the Flyers don't figure this out from an organizational standpoint then they have to look internally at their organizational philosophy. I think they are looking harder now but they have to remain patient as well...I honestly don't think Holmgren and Snider are patient and measured people though. Heck many Flyers fans are not either..although not winning a cup since the mid 1970's kind of defaults fans to being patient since Flyers fans are among the most loyal.

The Sixers GM on the other hand seems to be patient but what choice does he have? However, with Hinkie at least you can say he has a plan and sort of understand what he is trying to do. With the Flyers they tend to be all over the board. Look at NJ..Lou Lam is one of the best GM's because he follows a philosophy (derived originally from Montreal) and sticks to it. This is the same with the LA GM who was originally influential in making SJ competitive in short order and then getting LA a cup.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Bob can talk??

Dirty but Good is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I don't have the person who tweeted it, but severe was the incorrect translation.

Bob said it was a difficult/tough place to play. Kind of weakens the blow a bit.

Sniped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I don't have the person who tweeted it, but severe was the incorrect translation.

Bob said it was a difficult/tough place to play. Kind of weakens the blow a bit.
Yeah kind of suspected that word was improperly used. I don't disagree with what Bob said from the "goalie hell" perspective but he is kind of apologizing for Bryz which I don't necessarily agree with. Will have to see the full transcript and the context to gauge better but I think most people get the gist..and I don't think Bob deserves an FU over it though.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Guess I'm just tired of seeing CSN Philly putting out articles about a guy who is no longer part of the team. Also, when I say articles, I mean stuff that is non-news, tabloid spew that I could read in the Enquirer if I wanted to. Who the hell cares what Sergei Bobrovsky said? Chris nailed it in an earlier post. No one jumped on Bryzgalov until his play started to falter greatly.
Since Bob won the Vezina the season after being dumped by the Flyers, I believe what he has to say is pretty relevant. Like it or not, that's how he feels about playing in Philly.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote