HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lebrun: "Habs may circle back on Daniel Briere, had already shown interest.."

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Imagine Bourque-Plekanec-Briere !! I would be totally fine with Briere. We need a talented RH forward. Playing a full schedule with pleky and him, Bourque could easily hit 30. We need his Clutch-ness his cockiness, his skill. I'm in.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:48 PM
ClasslessGuy

We need brière sex appeal on tv!

Old
07-03-2013, 01:52 PM
dzd ncnfzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
Seriously are they going to beat this dead horse again? He snubbed this organization once **** him.
Guys, this snubbing business is a bit foolish and girly, after all if the "snub" factor is important didn't we snub him first by not picking him up on waivers when we could have oh so many years ago?
He would be a good addition on a short cheapish (all relative) contract but unlikely he would consider a Canadian team due to tax reasons - no point risking losing more of the buy out money than he could earn on a cheap contract and I wouldn't blame him.

As for Bergevin lets give him time. DD's contract, the only thing I would querie him on is not that disastrous, I'm an Anglo but I also would appreciate more French Canadians on the team even if only in supporting roles. (The Begin's and Dandeneault's of this world - and I loved Lapierre) I do wish the media wouldn't put so much pressure on them though.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Unless you can flip Desharnais somewhere for solid assets(at least a good pick or prospect), I don't see adding Briere as a solution to anything. Pass.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:33 PM
simplysincere*

Might as well call us the Montreal Midgets.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:37 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

While Briere is likely an upgrade over Gio. I would pass on him unless it wasn't a long term deal and we could get rid of Gio. Otherwise I don't want him

Old
07-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Habs

Now if we could just get a time machine, we could get a version of Briere that would actually mean something to this team.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
While Briere is likely an upgrade over Gio. I would pass on him unless it wasn't a long term deal and we could get rid of Gio. Otherwise I don't want him
Except that he's not. Briere is awful. Gionta, while undoubtedly on his downswing, is still twice the player briere is.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
He isn't. Gionta can match the offense and is more gritty and better defensively.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Now if we could just get a time machine, we could get a version of Briere that would actually mean something to this team.
Well said. While we're at it, it applies to Randy McKay and to a lesser extent Doug Gilmour.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He isn't. Gionta can match the offense and is more gritty and better defensively.
Ole wrist shot from the outside and can't win a puck battle on the boards Gionta? Same guy?

I'm not saying Briere is any better, but lets call a spade a spade, Gionta is nearly done and with another bicep tear I'd be shocked if he does much of anything next year.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:53 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Yes, he absolutely IS better than Gionta.

Gionta is supposed to be a character guy who stands up in important games and in the playoffs. He absolutely didn't for the last two years.

Briere actually stands up whenever the game is on the line. I'd take him before Gionta 10 times out of 10. Hell, if we could just take the contract off, and give the remaining year at 5M to Briere instead of Gionta, I'd do it.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Ole wrist shot from the outside and can't win a puck battle on the boards Gionta? Same guy?

I'm not saying Briere is any better, but lets call a spade a spade, Gionta is nearly done and with another bicep tear I'd be shocked if he does much of anything next year.
People need to start separating their perception of how a player appears to play from how effective he actually is. You can say that gionta takes a ton of stupid shots from all over, but he does so and is still a much more valuable player than Briere is. He still produces against higher competition than Briere has faced in ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post

Gionta is supposed to be a character guy who stands up in important games and in the playoffs. He absolutely didn't for the last two years.

Briere actually stands up whenever the game is on the line. I'd take him before Gionta 10 times out of 10. Hell, if we could just take the contract off, and give the remaining year at 5M to Briere instead of Gionta, I'd do it.
And we'd be a far worse team for it. Congrats.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Well said. While we're at it, it applies to Randy McKay and to a lesser extent Doug Gilmour.
MB is most certainly one of those guys with money, that likes to shop at the flea market on the weekends.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
People need to start separating their perception of how a player appears to play from how effective he actually is. You can say that gionta takes a ton of stupid shots from all over, but he does so and is still a much more valuable player than Briere is. He still produces against higher competition than Briere has faced in ages.

no we would not. Briere is a much, much better player than Gionta. You guys once again are overrating our own players. This guy is maybe the best playoffs performer in this league.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:

Gionta's play from last year and the previous year is night and day. I'm not saying he can't be a good player for this club but if last years version shows up in 2013/2014 I'd much rather him go away.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

The problem is that Briere also gets lit up when it counts. The guy is awful defensively and is a case where the stereotypes about small offensive players is actually true. He does need to be insulated by two-way players and guys that can get the puck back, provides nothing but offense and needs to be heavily sheltered.

Gionta on the other hand is the team's best defensive winger than can score at a reasonable pace. He's way better as a 5 on 5 player than Briere who is a black hole defensively.

Sure Briere scored a bunch in his recent playoffs, but he also got lit up while facing the opposition's depth players. He's been negative value 5 on 5 in his last two post-seasons despite scoring at a PPG pace. He's good for a playoff highlight reel, not for playoff performance.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Gionta's play from last year and the previous year is night and day. I'm not saying he can't be a good player for this club but if last years version shows up in 2013/2014 I'd much rather him go away.
With an extra torn bicep... The guy is falling into pieces. Might as well replace him asap.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
no we would not. Briere is a much, much better player than Gionta. You guys once again are overrating our own players. This guy is maybe the best playoffs performer in this league.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...s-clutchiness/

http://thehockeyguys.net/danny-brier...ward-position/

Old
07-03-2013, 03:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Except that he really isn't. Someone will provide a link eventually, but there was a statistical breakdown done of Briere's playoff heroics. The verdict? That yeah, he scores a lot in the playoffs, and it still doesn't make up for how bad he is in the other direction. Briere is THAT bad. He's awful and would be the softest player on a team everyone on this forum keeps telling me is the softest in the league. Do not want.

Whether we debate how gionta comes back next year from that injury is another question

Old
07-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Except that he really isn't. Someone will provide a link eventually, but there was a statistical breakdown done of Briere's playoff heroics. The verdict? That yeah, he scores a lot in the playoffs, and it still doesn't make up for how bad he is in the other direction. Briere is THAT bad. He's awful and would be the softest player on a team everyone on this forum keeps telling me is the softest in the league. Do not want.

Whether we debate how gionta comes back next year from that injury is another question
See above your post for said link(s).

Old
07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Well thank you, sir.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The problem is that Briere also gets lit up when it counts. The guy is awful defensively and is a case where the stereotypes about small offensive players is actually true. He does need to be insulated by two-way players and guys that can get the puck back, provides nothing but offense and needs to be heavily sheltered.

Gionta on the other hand is the team's best defensive winger than can score at a reasonable pace. He's way better as a 5 on 5 player than Briere who is a black hole defensively.

Sure Briere scored a bunch in his recent playoffs, but he also got lit up while facing the opposition's depth players. He's been negative value 5 on 5 in his last two post-seasons despite scoring at a PPG pace. He's good for a playoff highlight reel, not for playoff performance.
For all the "good defensive play" from Gionta in his years with the Habs, Briere and his "pathetic two-way game" still led the Flyers to many more playoffs wins Gionta has ever done.

We have PLENTY of players who are goodwithout the puck, and not enough who actually know what to do with it, OR how to retrieve it.

Gionta has prevented about twice as many goals for as goals against with his stupid slappers 50 feet away from the net when there was a breakout.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Hugo Sham

i would gladly take briere BUT only if bergevin is planing on dealing one of DD or Gionta - otherwise makes 0 sense

Old
07-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
For all the "good defensive play" from Gionta in his years with the Habs, Briere and his "pathetic two-way game" still led the Flyers to many more playoffs wins Gionta has ever done.

We have PLENTY of players who are goodwithout the puck, and not enough who actually know what to do with it, OR how to retrieve it.

Gionta has prevented about twice as many goals for as goals against with his stupid slappers 50 feet away from the net when there was a breakout.
Do you understand that players do not play in bubbles, and inserting Briere here and replacing Gionta with him would result in a net negative if you examine the metrics? Briere was much, much, much better surrounded during his playoff heroics in Philly than he would be here.

Context is everything, and you are conveniently ignoring it.

Quote:
Well thank you, sir.
Quite welcome, good sir.

Closed Thread