HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do UFAs avoid Montréal? If so, why?

Old
07-03-2013, 05:36 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Team culture.

If you were a talented forward UFA, would you really want to come to Montreal after watching the fiasco in Ottawa?

NHL players watch the playoff games just like we do. They saw Gallagher pounded shift after shift without anyone stepping up to stop it. Eller was dropped and nothing happened. Therrien whined to the media and embarrassed himself and this organization with his performance.

To attract big names, you have to have a complete change in hockey philosophy as reflected on the ice. Until then, we will watch the Lecavalier's of the NHL go to other teams where they need to only focus on playing hockey.

We will see what Bergevin does in the next week or so to address this issue.........if he does anything at all.
Which is why teams like Boston for example, with their pristine team culture, can attract the likes of Jagr.

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Mrb1p

You mean Cammalleri, Gionta, Cole, Prust, Hamrlik are all 13th forward or 7th Dman?

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Jaromir Jagr said openly last year that Montreal was the team he wanted to sign for, that he didn't consider offers from other teams until he knew that the Canadiens weren't interested and that he was disappointed that he didn't get to play here, so evidently some players do want to sign there.

People get too worked up about things like this, it's really not that different from when you get rejected by some girl you fancy, it's her loss, not yours. If some players don't want to become a part of the greatest hockey organisation that has ever been then that's their loss. So Lecavalier preferred to play for the Flyers instead of being treated like a god in Montreal, big deal. If he (or anyone else) doesn't want to be with us, why would we want them?

Last edited by Franck: 07-03-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Jaromir Jagr said openly last year that Montreal was the team he wanted to sign for, that he didn't consider offers from other teams until he knew that the Canadiens weren't interested and that he was disappointed that he didn't get to play here, so evidently some players do want to sign there.
Yes. Old ones with nothing in the tank want to do a retirement lap.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Because some other idiot GMs are ready to dish out a ridiculous amount of money to bribe the players and sign them for awfully long lenght contract.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Team culture.

If you were a talented forward UFA, would you really want to come to Montreal after watching the fiasco in Ottawa?

NHL players watch the playoff games just like we do. They saw Gallagher pounded shift after shift without anyone stepping up to stop it. Eller was dropped and nothing happened. Therrien whined to the media and embarrassed himself and this organization with his performance.

To attract big names, you have to have a complete change in hockey philosophy as reflected on the ice. Until then, we will watch the Lecavalier's of the NHL go to other teams where they need to only focus on playing hockey.

We will see what Bergevin does in the next week or so to address this issue.........if he does anything at all.
I think he is trying but its gonna take years to undo the years of incompetent management. Give him time, its a process that doesnt happen overnight.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
You can't go out to dinner in Montréal.
media frenzy, taxes, weather. language, more media

you cant walk the streets without someone breaking your chops

why would anyone come here unless its gross overpayment , guy is on his last legs of his career , or doesnt mind being abused

Last edited by onemorecup*: 07-03-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: typing
onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:

Honestly, MB scares me and I don't trust him:

1. Extending the smurf DD for 2 more years was insane

2. Extending Moan the pacifist now

3. Extending Cube when we have 4 young guys bigger and ready

4. Extending Drew - see #3

5. Signing Colby last year. Are you kidding me?

6. Thinking about Briere????????? not sure this is true

Good thing no UFA wants to play here.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:01 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
media frenzy, taxes, weather. language, more media

you cant walk the streets without someone breaking your chops

why would anyone come here unless its gross overpayment , guy is on his last legs of his career , or doesnt mind being abused
I think that those are excuses.

Sidney Crosby has the same issues in Pittsburgh. And its not limited to hockey.

If you look at the successful Green Bay Packers in the NFL, they play in a smaller, but still an extremely football crazy market. Everyone in Green Bay knows all of the players and the players are subject to intense scrutiny. Yet Green Bay does not have a problem with getting big names to play there. Its the culture of the Packers that drives players to want to play there.

It hurts my heart to say this being a fan of the Habs for decades.....the culture and pride of the Canadiens of old is gone. Sure we have the most Cups, but its all in the distant past.

Bergevin does have his work cut out for him to change this.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Talks to Goalposts

UFA's don't avoid Montreal, MTL has added more talent by that route than most teams in recent years.

They just don't particularly want to come there, which is an entirely different matter.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:10 PM
sharks9

No they don't

http://www.playerspoll.ca/results/20...ike-to-play-on

http://www.playerspoll.ca/results/20...ink-to-play-in

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:15 PM
SouthernHab

I guess management has been looking at the wrong 94% of players in the NHL.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Team culture.

This will be interesting. The beat downs need to stop. Bergevin already brought Prust but it would be nice to get a heavy too and some other middleweights.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:25 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
This will be interesting. The beat downs need to stop. Bergevin already brought Prust but it would be nice to get a heavy too and some other middleweights.
Ogglethorpe or McCracken?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You mean Cammalleri, Gionta, Cole, Prust, Hamrlik are all 13th forward or 7th Dman?
Their contracts all had something in common.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Bieber fever

Why is nobody actually want to be recogized everywhere ? Pretty sure a lot of hockey players are narcissic as ****....I would beleive they are some player that would like to play for montreal just to walk around the city like a god

Brb from a 3rd liner nobody in columbus to a famous star in montreal

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
These guys have been pampered a huge part of their lives. Even the Quebecers, they're not like normal folks that grew up in Quebec, they are different than you and me, they lived the high life and their heads is somewhere else. I know a guy that plays College hockey, he looks good, gets all the women he wants and I don't think he's ever paid for a diner. And that's someone who's never even played in the Q. So can you imagine NHL players? It's that + a hundred times. That's why hockey players are so dumb, they never had to force themselves to do anything other than the physical stuff. Everything is handed to them. And they play a game for a living. The days of the heart and soul types like Maurice Richard, working all day, moving his brother-in-law at night and playing hockey all bruised up are over.
True, most new NHLers are pampered primadonnas. It's not uncommon to see CHL draftees (16 years old) report to their Jr team in luxury cars. Thankfully its still possible to find gems like PK Subban or Plekanec.

I wish i could go back in time and watch the rocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Why is nobody actually want to be recogized everywhere ? Pretty sure a lot of hockey players are narcissic as ****....I would beleive they are some player that would like to play for montreal just to walk around the city like a god

Brb from a 3rd liner nobody in columbus to a famous star in montreal
Well i dont think we have any problem getting 3rd liners. I think the fishbowl excuse is a myth or an easy way out(nobody will say well the team is not good enough). Players want to be in the spotlight.

I remember Kovalchuk saying he had to wait in restaurants in Atlanta and other players saying they dont like to play in a half-empty arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Their contracts all had something in common.
Yes, all overpaid, like most UFA's. Bottom line is you have to show the money if you want players.

And in MTL, add a few extra $100,000 to make up for the taxes.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
True, most new NHLers are pampered primadonnas. It's not uncommon to see CHL draftees (16 years old) report to their Jr team in luxury cars. Thankfully its still possible to find gems like PK Subban or Plekanec.

Well i dont think we have any problem getting 3rd liners. I think the fishbowl excuse is a myth or an easy way out(nobody will say well the team is not good enough). Players want to be in the spotlight.

I remember Kovalchuk saying he had to wait in restaurants in Atlanta and other players saying they dont like to play in a half-empty arena.

Yes, all overpaid, like most UFA's. Bottom line is you have to show the money if you want players.

And in MTL, add a few extra $100,000 to make up for the taxes.
What would be nice is for the NHL to make it an even playing field across all teams. Im sure the NHLPA wouldnt mind considering that all of their players will literally make the same. In fact why not put an addendum saying all current contracts will be honored as is and all future contracts will be signed with this system in place. Your contract times X, the X being the "Tax Factor" that is brought up by your federal/provincial/state government.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:24 PM
googlymoogly

It's kind of BS that there is revenue sharing between teams so some of those crappy southern teams get financial support but they also have favored tax status for players. Why should a high tax city like Montreal be handicapped twice by having to pay more wages to attract players then also kick in money to bail out the lower teams.

Revenue sharing should also include player tax offsets if that's going to be the case.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Lions999

I also think its toughness we don't have any and players notice things like that. They see guys like Spacek, Pyatt, Gallagher and theres a lot more that have to fight their own battles. Its always there in the back of their minds they might to fight back cause we don't have anyone.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Fantastic picture!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
It's kind of BS that there is revenue sharing between teams so some of those crappy southern teams get financial support but they also have favored tax status for players. Why should a high tax city like Montreal be handicapped twice by having to pay more wages to attract players then also kick in money to bail out the lower teams.

Revenue sharing should also include player tax offsets if that's going to be the case.
Big revenues cities in Canada like the Leafs and Habs help the weak markets and in turn the weak market teams get all the UFAs.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:

[/IMG]
The guy in red in the fourth / fifth row far right REALLY wanted to stand out in that crowd of gray and grey-ish blue And the guy in pink on the left too.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Hugo Sham

UFA's didn't want to sign here because of lack of winning culture and incompetent management. for every guy that claims he doesn't want to be in a fishbowl, there is another who wants to play in a hockey environment for an historic franchise.

Bergevin and his crew are changing the culture. The team will start to win again. Guys don't want to play in the cold? well ****, hockey is a winter ****ing sport AND montreal is not alaska or edmonton or winnipeg -weather-wise.

The taxes are not great, but many other places have taxes that are not that far off.

guys like letang and Vinny may whine, but they sure as hell LOVE living here, training here, raising their kids here from June through September.

One thing about francophone quebec - it has its own star system- and it might seem overwhelming to guys who weren't developed in habs system. So the francophone players that might consider signing here, are nervous. Letang's comment should be taken with a grain of salt. Based on what the dude is tweeting - he's out on the town training and eating and taking in shows. sure doesn't look like he's inconvenienced lol

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Cammalleri - Was over payed and apparently went to Toronto who wouldn't pay him a lesser contract.

Gionta - Overpaid

Cole - Got an extra year and money, went back to Carolina. Had Carolina matched, he would have went back there.

Prust - Habs offered him a contract, went back to New York, they didn't match/offer enough. Signed here.

Hamrlik - Signed on the 2nd day of free agency. Overpaid.

So, we have to over pay to sign anyone. Sometimes, even when we over pay they choose less some where else.

Reasons to no play here ?

Media
Taxes
Fans.

People apparently don't understand that hockey players don't want to be bothered every 5 seconds when they go out in public.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote