HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THW Column: Kings draft analyzed & graded

Old
07-03-2013, 01:48 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
THW Column: Kings draft analyzed & graded

I recently published a column on the hockeywriters analyzing the drafts of the teams in "Conference A", which of course includes LA:

http://thehockeywriters.com/grading-...-conference-a/

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

StevenToddIves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Reclamation Project
#BeatLA

vCash: 592
Great read! My favorite line...

Quote:
...it is hard to fathom Zykov not blossoming into a 30+ goal first liner at the NHL level.
I'm so pumped at this pick. Dean, once again, did a remarkable job.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:21 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Loving the Guppies grade...HAHA.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Conference A mother*****es!

#whatstheplanhannibal

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenToddIves View Post
I recently published a column on the hockeywriters analyzing the drafts of the teams in "Conference A", which of course includes LA:

http://thehockeywriters.com/grading-...-conference-a/

I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Just a minor thing, I think the Oil fans believe that Hall and Eberle's styles don't mesh well and thus are always on different lines.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

They earned it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKingFan View Post
Loving the Guppies grade...HAHA.
Out of all 30 teams, I only gave one grade lower than a C-, but the Sharks earned it.

They could have had Shinkaruk/Zykov, Heatherington, Bowey and Hayden/Lodge had they stood pat and had one of the top drafts in the NHL.

Instead they have a checking line forward (Kennedy), a second-pairing d-man no better than Heatherington or Bowey (Mueller), and a longshot project forward without first line upside (Paquin-Boudreau).

Not just bad, but embarrassing.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Out of all 30 teams, I only gave one grade lower than a C-, but the Sharks earned it.

They could have had Shinkaruk/Zykov, Heatherington, Bowey and Hayden/Lodge had they stood pat and had one of the top drafts in the NHL.

Instead they have a checking line forward (Kennedy), a second-pairing d-man no better than Heatherington or Bowey (Mueller), and a longshot project forward without first line upside (Paquin-Boudreau).

You. I like you.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Reclamation Project
#BeatLA

vCash: 592
Quote:

Music to my ears! Just beautiful!

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Not bad at all. No mention of the Czech goalie the Kings picked up?

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Good read...

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:38 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
I 100% agree. The draft is my favorite day of the year and this one didn't disappoint. We got a guy who hits seriously every ****ing check mark imaginable for our team in Zykov. I was honestly shocked Fasching was still there and extremely happy that he was. Remeber Prokhorkin? Same style of pick. Decent name going in, slipped, and will be a steal for us if everything turns out like it should. The one thing I wish you talked about was Bartosak. Him, along with the other two mentioned, are what Kings fans should REALLY be excited about. Bartosak has a lot of skills that can't be taught. What does need work on him CAN be taught. Even if he ends up a career backup, it's a great pick. Obviously it's hard to work without a first and your first pick being at 57 but Dean, Futa, Yannetti, and the rest of the scouting staff has once again done a great job.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:45 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I 100% agree. The draft is my favorite day of the year and this one didn't disappoint. We got a guy who hits seriously every ****ing check mark imaginable for our team in Zykov. I was honestly shocked Fasching was still there and extremely happy that he was. Remeber Prokhorkin? Same style of pick. Decent name going in, slipped, and will be a steal for us if everything turns out like it should. The one thing I wish you talked about was Bartosak. Him, along with the other two mentioned, are what Kings fans should REALLY be excited about. Bartosak has a lot of skills that can't be taught. What does need work on him CAN be taught. Even if he ends up a career backup, it's a great pick. Obviously it's hard to work without a first and your first pick being at 57 but Dean, Futa, Yannetti, and the rest of the scouting staff has once again done a great job.
This ^.

I have my notes on Barto.

He is a stand up goalie who tracks the puck at an elite prospect level. He has all the solid lateral movement that you can ask for. He can skate very well. His rebound control is way above average. He needs time and work both to get his game working the same in every aspect but he also needs time to develop his confidence. He can get rattled and when he does it takes him time to get his game back.

The same can be said about every young goalie but with Barto it is a bigger issue. When he is on his game he is dead solid and is a great young goalie and that is most of the time. He is 3yrs from pro 5 from NHL (give or take a year) but he is definitely an NHL caliber prospect.

I had him as a 3rd rounder but am happy to be wrong.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:48 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Patrik Bartosak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Not bad at all. No mention of the Czech goalie the Kings picked up?
I like his upside, but I didn't have enough bandwidth to discuss every draft pick by every team in detail so I did the best I could.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:50 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

It's good to be liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
You. I like you.
You can always read my stuff at thehockeywriters and follow me on Twitter: @StIves72

Old
07-03-2013, 05:51 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

What's with this letter grade stuff?

I gave it a 10!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipQisc68dQ

Last edited by KINGS17: 07-03-2013 at 05:56 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
I like his upside, but I didn't have enough bandwidth to discuss every draft pick by every team in detail so I did the best I could.
Understood. Think he was the WHL goalie of the year no? Or was it CHL?

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:43 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
This ^.

I have my notes on Barto.

He is a stand up goalie who tracks the puck at an elite prospect level. He has all the solid lateral movement that you can ask for. He can skate very well. His rebound control is way above average. He needs time and work both to get his game working the same in every aspect but he also needs time to develop his confidence. He can get rattled and when he does it takes him time to get his game back.

The same can be said about every young goalie but with Barto it is a bigger issue. When he is on his game he is dead solid and is a great young goalie and that is most of the time. He is 3yrs from pro 5 from NHL (give or take a year) but he is definitely an NHL caliber prospect.

I had him as a 3rd rounder but am happy to be wrong.
Isn't he 20? And if so he should be turning pro possibly next season. Maybe splitting time in Ontario?

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:44 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
Isn't he 20? And if so he should be turning pro possibly next season. Maybe splitting time in Ontario?
He can go back for an overage season, which I think he would do. Jones/Neiderberg or other AHL backup in Manchester and Berube full time in Ontario.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:51 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
He can go back for an overage season, which I think he would do. Jones/Neiderberg or other AHL backup in Manchester and Berube full time in Ontario.
Well most prospects drafted usually leave junior after they turn 20. I guess he could stay but based on what I've read he may be ready for the next step/challenge. IMO him and Berube could be solid tandem in Ontario. Wouldn't surprise me if he actually eventually outplayed Berube

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I read somewhere that the Kings were hoping to place another goalie prospect with the Ontario Reign.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
Well most prospects drafted usually leave junior after they turn 20. I guess he could stay but based on what I've read he may be ready for the next step/challenge. IMO him and Berube could be solid tandem in Ontario. Wouldn't surprise me if he actually eventually outplayed Berube
Your right. He could bump up to the E next season but I would rather see him take a very slow and steady approach to the NHL. I feel that we have done a bit of juggling with Jones and JF and while it isn't a bad thing I think that we might have learned a bit about how we want to bring our kids along from the process.

That doesn't mean that putting him in Ont would be bad, only that I would let him play another dominate year as an over ager and then move him to the E where he can cut his teeth. Give him two seasons there and one in MCH then cup O tea with the Kings then move Jones and make him our back up. If everything wen't perfectly that is.

I am a big JFB fan and think he will end up being an NHL caliber goalie and m-a-y-b-e even a starter in time but I also think that Barto is the better of the two.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:09 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Your right. He could bump up to the E next season but I would rather see him take a very slow and steady approach to the NHL. I feel that we have done a bit of juggling with Jones and JF and while it isn't a bad thing I think that we might have learned a bit about how we want to bring our kids along from the process.

That doesn't mean that putting him in Ont would be bad, only that I would let him play another dominate year as an over ager and then move him to the E where he can cut his teeth. Give him two seasons there and one in MCH then cup O tea with the Kings then move Jones and make him our back up. If everything wen't perfectly that is.

I am a big JFB fan and think he will end up being an NHL caliber goalie and m-a-y-b-e even a starter in time but I also think that Barto is the better of the two.
This. We have zero need to rush him. Send him back to Red Deer and let him take his time. He can work with his goalie coach there, play under Darrly's brother Brent, and continue to progress. I also am a fan of Berube. A lot of people really underestimate him because they see his numbers and the fact that he's in the ECHL and don't realize the path this kid has taken. Was behind Jake Allen in juniors for a long time and then had to deal with a lot of injuries. He's coming along for sure and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see him in the NHL in the future. The best thing for JF is that he's in an organization that is in no rush to get him to the NHL level.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:22 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Boy howdy was this ever a terrific, well-informed read. Bravo.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:31 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
The most glaring forward to slip out of the first round was without a doubt Valentin Zykov.
Quote:
Far be it from me to say, but if, say, Winnipeg took this kid at #13 I would’ve have said, “Great pick!”
Quote:
Kings Grade: B+

Difficult to give a team with no first rounder an A
We may not have had a first rounder but we drafted a first rounder, wheres our A

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:44 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
We may not have had a first rounder but we drafted a first rounder, wheres our A
Kinda what I'm thinking....shouldn't you be graded on what you did with what you had? Especially since we in essence turned our 2013 first rounder into a Stanley Cup win in the Jeff Carter trade? A+++++++ if you ask me!

Nonetheless, really good article!

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote