HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 01:47 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 500
Yall hating on Bergevin but IMO Timmins wanted Thomas
His dad was a player, facts dont lie

Old
07-03-2013, 01:48 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
habs next tough guy

Pretty good at protecting himself in a fight.

He blocked most of those punches with his face.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I want my money back!!!!!!!!!! I was a member of the North Dakota website for the past 3 years, paying to watch mostly Kristo play. Then came MacMillan but Kristo was my main focus.
Really? How much it has cost you?

Old
07-03-2013, 02:06 PM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
First, I responded to never dominated in College. Which isn't true. He did. NCAA is obviously not tougher than in the AHL. But you have better teamates in the AHL than in the NCAA even if my beloved Corban Knight was playing on his line. And you keep talking about dominating....did Thomas dominate the AHL last year? He did good for a rookie but didn't dominate as well. And dominating is a really strange beast. Patrice Bergeron didn't dominate the Q and yet he dominates the NHL. Tons of players who didn't dominate their lower leagues, do so in the higher one.

Thomas did have 3 points in his first 7 games in the AHL. Yet for the whole month of January, which is not the start of his AHL career, he ended up with 2 points in 11 games. Again, NOT to diminuish what Thomas did, again, I like the kid. But just that tough stretches happens. And Kristo had it tougher when he joined the Dogs. Yet, while he looked lost, and since we seems to be talking solely about points here....Kristo had 3 points in his 9 games. Thomas had 5 points in his first 9 games. Hudon who we all love and adore and who played better had....3 points in 9 games. Vail 4 points in 12, Archambault 2 points in 10. Yet, they are all younger than him...but being older does not give you this additional power that it's automatically easier to adapt to anything even by playing on the worst AHL team. So Kristo had more trouble than I thought to....maybe a bad stretch? We'll see as soon as next year. I hope I'm wrong, actually I kinda don't as it will mean that I saw something that was never there....but I suspect that he'll do good. Thing is...Thomas will do great too. That's the only good news of letting Kristo go is that we got something valuable in return.
Whitesnake. i never used the word dominate. You did. i responded to your initial post where you said there is a chance that Kristo can dominate. I said I don't know why you would expect him to dominate when he hasn't till now. He scored 26 goals as a 22 year old in the NCAA. That's not dominating. Crosby dominated. Stamkos. Shea Weber. Hell Locke dominated the O. Kristo scoring 26 goals in his final college year is not dominating - especially when he plays 9 games in the A and does squat.

As for those other players

Thomas was 20, Hudon & Vail were 19. Kristo was 22. Is presently 23 and if he goes for a stint in the A will be 24 if & when he makes it to the NHL.

I'd be very surprised if he plays more than 20 games in the NHL this year.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:10 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
exactly, Detroit has so many little guys but they can play.

another note, we shouldn't compare Mcdonagh to Kristo, its like apples and oranges,
McD didn't dominate in college but he was superb in the NHL. Kristo I see his career along the line of Blake Geoffrion. Both dominate college but have harder time with pro.
how many 5`9" 170 pounders does Detroit have on thier team ?

Old
07-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Youpi ki yay

Old
07-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Maitz
Pachy-Gally-Collby

I'm not against the trade, Thomas seems to be on a good development way right now, can't really say the same about Kristo right now. I think Kristo is the most talented player but I trust Bergy for that trade. Maybe he thought that Thomas brings more leadership and grit than Kristo.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:51 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youpi ki yay View Post
Sounds about right!

Old
07-03-2013, 04:30 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Sad how accurate that is.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
I love how they all end with Fire Bergy ! AHAHAH

Old
07-03-2013, 04:40 PM
KoZed

• Thomas is 2 years younger
  • Thomas has 2 yrs left on his contract
  • Thomas is a lower cap hit
  • Thomas is already more acclimated to the AHL/pros
  • Thomas doesn't battle chronic lapses of judgment.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Kristo pulls a D'Agostini and scores 20 goals somewhere else. But I'm not sad to see him replaced by a kid who probably won't harass Leblanc into doing stupid stuff for the sake of reliving the "good times back in Omaha".

Old
07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I will admit I don't know much about Thomas, but I've watched a lot of Kristo over the years. Very disappointed he wasn't even given a chance here. I mean I know he's done some dumb things (while being young ), but that's why the new management went out and get all these people to help these youngsters grow. Now instead of giving him a chance, we simply take the easy way out and trade him. If the Rangers or any other team were that interested, they would have waited for November/December for a trade but at least give the kid a shot
Rangers fan here, i dont know if you could call one player better or not at this time because of their different routes. In Thomas you're getting a classy kid with a first rate work ethic and commitment. Obviously, theres the size thing but ive read that he already has one of the best snap shots at the NHL level. He's more quick in traffic than speedy and can evade hits alright. I view him as a bit of a 1 trick pony but could develop and lets face it if scoring goals is your trick, its not a horrible thing. To me the trade was about line up flexibility for the Rangers. Kristo if he gets his head on straight can prob be thrown onto any line whereas with Thomas, its the whole where does he fit, top 6 or bottom 6. Also, Thomas it appeared kinda had to be matched with a puck dist. C and big LW which can hand cuff a lineup. I hope he makes it, he's a good egg and wont embarrass on or off the ice. My 2 cents.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:15 PM
nyr199435

Another Rangers fan here. They say that the only fair negotiation is one where both sides walk away unhappy.

A word about Christian Thomas: he's got an unbelievable shot. Like, the book on him is Stamkos-level shooting ability, rest of the game is lacking. Seems to have a good understanding of where to be at the right time...in other words, he'll be in place for one timers.

Decent skater, obviously undersized. He'll have trouble hanging on to the puck and beating defenders at the NHL level. Where he might be very valuable is set up along the boards on the PP for one-timers, or even as a pointman.

Long story short, if he can improve his skating to above-average you could be looking at a second-line sniper. A lot of Rangers fans were very high on him. He might get bashed around or out-muscled at first, but if he can build up his strength and adjust to the pace he may very yet be a valuable, 30 goal 50-60 point guy. Obviously a lot of this is a bunch of "ifs," and depends on several things happening, but suffice to say that I wouldn't fire Bergevin over this one.

Kristo's further in his development now, but two years down the road this might be a lateral swap, or even lopsided in the Habs' favor.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:26 PM
habsfanatics

Meh, I don't care about this trade at all. I'm stoked we didn't get vinny though.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:43 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Old
07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
btallett

not impressed we traded him away . Kristo is more talented more nhl ready and isn't 5'9. Guess Habs Management saw no future for him here

Old
07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseOllini View Post
He doesn't like to work out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Christian Thomas has Cammalleri-like potential, now if he's going to reach his ceiling is another story... Althought I feel he's more NHL-ready than Kristo which could be a good thing in the short-term, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up next year.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:43 PM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
He doesn't like to work out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seriously though what the hell was that machine?

treadmill with a chest platform?

Old
07-03-2013, 09:49 PM
InglewoodJack

Saddened to see Kristo go. I've been following him for what seems like forever. Though I don't think he's lived up to what we expected he would (so far), it is sad to see someone who's been a "good prospect" for a really long time get traded. Happy trails.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:53 PM
bigdan87

I didn't saw them play very often, but based on their stats I'm kind of happy about this trade. I think Kristo would be useful on a third line role with 2nd line potentiel, but i think Thomas is the one with the higher potentiel (but also the higher risk of bust).

You cannot score 56 goals in the OHL as an 18 years old without having exceptional talent. An average of .50 ppg in the AHL as a 20 yrs old rookie in a bad team is also very IMO. (Chris Kreider has the same ppg average this season in Connecticut).

If this guy was in the NCAA at the age of 22 he would have outscored Kristo big time.

Maybe i'm a little bit optimistic but I'm very hyped on this trade, we got the talent + the attitude but we lost 2 inches and 15 pounds

Old
07-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by btallett View Post
not impressed we traded him away . Kristo is more talented more nhl ready and isn't 5'9. Guess Habs Management saw no future for him here
Thomas has more experience at the pro level and has even played an NHL game. This all at two years younger than Kristo. How is Kristo more NHL ready?

Old
07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Shaby23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Thomas has more experience at the pro level and has even played an NHL game. This all at two years younger than Kristo. How is Kristo more NHL ready?
How do you know that he's not?? It's all speculation at this point and we won't know until we see him on the ice.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Kirk Muller

I love the nature of over hyped prospects on HFboards.

99.9% of posters here likely have not seen both Kristo or Thomas enough to make any form of informed decision yet they act like they are experts on the situation.

For people, outside of a very few, have zero clue who Thomas is and just as few likely even saw Kristo play enough to have an informed opinion on him in spite of being a habs fan.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZed View Post
  • Thomas is 2 years younger
  • Thomas has 2 yrs left on his contract
  • Thomas is a lower cap hit
  • Thomas is already more acclimated to the AHL/pros
  • Thomas doesn't battle chronic lapses of judgment.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Kristo pulls a D'Agostini and scores 20 goals somewhere else. But I'm not sad to see him replaced by a kid who probably won't harass Leblanc into doing stupid stuff for the sake of reliving the "good times back in Omaha".
Funny, Sather was just raving about the trade on NHL radio today. Saying they wanted a player with more size, grit and character than what they had, so giving up Thomas was a no brainer for a player like Kristo. So it looks like NY did their homework on Kristo, or they just really disliked Thomas... I guess we will all find out soon.

Closed Thread