HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Stephen Weiss or Mike Riberio?

Old
07-03-2013, 03:06 PM
BBSuns

vCash: 500
Stephen Weiss or Mike Riberio?

http://thehockeywriters.com/stephen-...much-per-year/

Kind of shocked Weiss wants that much per year but I guess that's market value..

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
I like Weiss but he is not worth 5 million a season. IMO Vinny was the only free agent center worth 5 million a season. I am perfectly fine not getting a free agent center as their prices seem crazy for their level of talent.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:12 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Not surprising that's what he's going for, but anyone we get will be at 4.5 or less. I could see 4.75 being our absolute max since that is what Backes is actually paid.

My bet is we end up with Cullen. Weiss is coming off a season where he struggled and had a major wrist injury. Ribeiro is a less than ideal fit, but would be productive.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:18 PM
BBSuns

Blues may very well be better off waiting until next year's FA period to grab a top-tier centerman

Old
07-03-2013, 03:30 PM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSuns View Post
Blues may very well be better off waiting until next year's FA period to grab a top-tier centerman
And thats why we are considered the Cubs of hockey. Wait until next year.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:49 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Free agency is always the same, it really doesn't matter what year it is.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Waiting til next year isn't going to do much except likely cost us a good chance at the Cup this coming season.

Who is supposed to be available in free agency next year? A bunch of centers that almost certainly will be re-signed just like every other year?

I see Thornton, Bergeron, Sedin, Stastny and Pavelski as great options. Sedin will be re-signed. Bergeron is about to be re-signed. Stastny will be traded and then likely re-signed. Maybe one of Thornton or Pavelski is a free agent...and paid 5.5-7 million. Perhaps the one they don't re-sign during the season is traded for a need.

I guess waiting is the best bet...but until the deadline when we have to land Stastny or roll with what we have...which isn't great. Can we even get Stastny now that we are in the same division???

BTW, I'm not saying go for Stephen Weiss. He seems like more of the same. A solid 2nd line player but an inconsistent, non game-changer. I'm just voicing my frustrations about our search for an improvement at center. It's a bad situation.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Kasparov

perron+ for statsny! we reunite him with stewie, get rid of perron, and add that great center to the line up we desperately need. win win win.

Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy73 View Post
And thats why we are considered the Cubs of hockey. Wait until next year.
Which is truly unfair to the Cubs...they have at least won a championship.

Multimoodia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:18 PM
BlueDream

There is an extreme problem with the people that always want to wait until the next summer to sign someone. What they don't realize is the majority of the players who are set to be UFA's in 2014 will be signed before then, so that's a completely terrible strategy that is luckily not considered by an actual GM.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:07 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
There is an extreme problem with the people that always want to wait until the next summer to sign someone. What they don't realize is the majority of the players who are set to be UFA's in 2014 will be signed before then, so that's a completely terrible strategy that is luckily not considered by an actual GM.
We can't make moves that are not there. We are going to be really close to the cap after signing Pietrangelo and Stewart. So what do you suggest we do? Who is available for trade that we can work into out budget?

Paying one of the free agent centers this year 5 million 5 year contract will be a bad contract. We may not even have 5 million available to spend. Look at the number the available players that fit in out salary structure. It's not as easy as people are acting to get a center.

Also the people who were against the Leopold signing part of the reasoning is that the .5 to 1 million difference in salary between the 2 players could be all the difference between getting a center and us not getting a center. I personally don't think on the 3rd pairing there is much difference between the two players. But using money on a very minor upgrade if any could cost us an upgrade at center.

Another thing with the trade Perron crowd to who for who? Are any of the free agent centers really better players then Perron to pay them more money then Perron makes by a decent amount.

Trade Halak for room? Again to who? Philly is starting to look like a team that just can't afford the cap hit of him. What teams want him have the space to fit him?

It's nice to say we should do something. But we need logical solutions on what we should do. None of use know what's available on the market or what assets it will cost us. Armstrong waited for the right time to get J-Bow for a fair price. He is most likely going to do the same thing with a center. It's a hell of a lot easier to say we need to make a move. It's a lot harder to actually make a move that makes the team better.

Last edited by HooliganX2: 07-03-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old
07-03-2013, 06:28 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
We can't make moves that are not there. We are going to be really close to the cap after signing Pietrangelo and Stewart. So what do you suggest we do? Who is available for trade that we can work into out budget?

Paying one of the free agent centers this year 5 million 5 year contract will be a bad contract. We may not even have 5 million available to spend. Look at the number the available players that fit in out salary structure. It's not as easy as people are acting to get a center.

Also the people who were against the Leopold signing part of the reasoning is that the .5 to 1 million difference in salary between the 2 players could be all the difference between getting a center and us not getting a center. I personally don't think on the 3rd pairing there is much difference between the two players. But using money on a very minor upgrade if any could cost us an upgrade at center.
Sounds like Blues and Stewart might be headed to arbitration too which could handcuff them in negotiations with UFA's. That being said, it could hurt them even more if they sign a UFA, go to arbitration with Stewart and he gets paid more than expected. Blues will be at the mercy of other teams in trade talks when trying to unload cap>aka wont be able to get as good a value in a trade because teams would recognize the situation the Blues would be in (over/close to the cap and needing to clear space).

Old
07-03-2013, 07:03 PM
BlueDream

Quote:

Another thing with the trade Perron crowd to who for who? Are any of the free agent centers really better players then Perron to pay them more money then Perron makes by a decent amount.

Trade Halak for room? Again to who? Philly is starting to look like a team that just can't afford the cap hit of him. What teams want him have the space to fit him?

It's nice to say we should do something. But we need logical solutions on what we should do. None of use know what's available on the market or what assets it will cost us. Armstrong waited for the right time to get J-Bow for a fair price. He is most likely going to do the same thing with a center. It's a hell of a lot easier to say we need to make a move. It's a lot harder to actually make a move that makes the team better.
I don't think you understood my post at all so there's no point in going in depth in response to this.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:06 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I don't think you understood my post at all so there's no point in going in depth in response to this.
I do agree with your point that most UFAs get locked up and will not be available next season. I just thought you were implying that we needed to do something now because of it.

As I stated I really wont be upset if we don't lock up one of the UFA centers or if we don't make a trade before the season starts. I am pretty confident Armstrong will be looking for the move that makes the most sense for this team. If he doesn't make a move it will be that there was not one there that made sense for the team.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Would be ecstatic if we could bring in Ribeiro

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Quaz

How much would you be willing to add to Perron to get Plekanec from Montreal? The Blues are most likely going to have to look for an Eastern Conference team to trade with for a center.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz View Post
How much would you be willing to add to Perron to get Plekanec from Montreal? The Blues are most likely going to have to look for an Eastern Conference team to trade with for a center.
I wouldn't add more than a 3rd rounder or value similar. That's just me.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:04 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz View Post
Not much of anything significant.

Plekanec is better defensively and plays the more important position, but he's also on the downside of his career. Perron's significantly younger, significantly cheaper, and at least as talented offensively (with room still to grow).

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:44 PM
diehardbluesfan

I may be in the minority, but I don't want to trade Perron yet unless we are getting a significant upgrade skill wise and that player is a center. I have a feeling if the Blues trade Perron, he will go on to be a 30 goal scorer and we'll regret it.

Get Perron a playmaking center and I think he'll really strive. Just my .02 though.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Which is truly unfair to the Cubs...they have at least won a championship.
Yeah, a hundred years ago... the Blues have a couple of championship-less generations yet to go before they can be considered "the Cubs of hockey."

Enough with the freakin' hyperbole already, folks.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:54 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

There will be a bidding war for both and neither will sign here.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:26 AM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Not much of anything significant.

Plekanec is better defensively and plays the more important position, but he's also on the downside of his career. Perron's significantly younger, significantly cheaper, and at least as talented offensively (with room still to grow).
Dont agree with the fact hes on the downside of his career but Perron is defiantly more offensively gifted player>Plekanec isnt a guy to be targeting

Old
07-04-2013, 03:33 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
I may be in the minority, but I don't want to trade Perron yet unless we are getting a significant upgrade skill wise and that player is a center. I have a feeling if the Blues trade Perron, he will go on to be a 30 goal scorer and we'll regret it.

Get Perron a playmaking center and I think he'll really strive. Just my .02 though.
I think you can say this about the entire team, really.

That said, between Ribs and Weiss, give me Ribeiro. I've heard things about his attitude though, so it makes you wonder just how long things would hold before a blow-up with Hitch.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:34 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
I do agree with your point that most UFAs get locked up and will not be available next season. I just thought you were implying that we needed to do something now because of it.

As I stated I really wont be upset if we don't lock up one of the UFA centers or if we don't make a trade before the season starts. I am pretty confident Armstrong will be looking for the move that makes the most sense for this team. If he doesn't make a move it will be that there was not one there that made sense for the team.
Oh no, I agree. Wasn't trying to make it sound like "we have to do something!!!" just that they should try instead of just say "well let's just wait for Stastny". That's all.

Re: a poster bringing up Ribeiro's attitude concerns...I don't know much about that, but he did seem to do quite well under Tippett in Dallas.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Alklha

Ribeiro has calmed down a lot over the last couple of years, I don't think there are really any ongoing attitude concerns with him anymore.

I suspect that some are going to be disappointed by the FA centres that we are targeting.

Guys like Ribeiro and Weiss are looking for big money and long term, to the point where we would almost certainly need to move a contract to get under the cap. We would be better off using the player we are moving to target a centre that we aren't going to have to overpay financially and give a longer term than what we're comfortable with.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote