HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[NYR/MTL] Christian Thomas for Danny Kristo

Old
07-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
shatty is american and brass is canadian...
Yeah, a complete and total reading comprehension failure on my part. I missed where he made the jump from talking about Kristo to talking about Brassard and then failed to pickup that he couldn't have been talking about Kristo's relationship with Arniel.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Well, it's clear what identity the Rangers are going for. "Big kid who can skate" sound familiar to anyone else?

Kristo's the more complete player and probably safer bet. Thomas could very easily end up the better goal scorer, though.
Is there ANY WAY we could get a couple: "Kid who can put the G-DAMN puck in the net"?!!!

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Is there ANY WAY we could get a couple: "Kid who can put the G-DAMN puck in the net"?!!!
Kristo is very good at that. So is Kreider when he is playing well.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Sather also said of newly acquired forward Danny Kristo from Montreal: “He was a good college player. He played good on the U.S. teams. He’s got speed, and he’s got some bite to him.”

The Rangers traded AHL forward Christian Thomas on Tuesday for Kristo, and while Sather wouldn’t comment on whether Kristo had a shot to make the team out of camp, he indicated the young right wing has promise.

“I mean I’ve never seen him play,” he admitted. “Our scouts have seen him play and they like him. That’s why we did it. Christian Thomas is a good goal scorer, but he doesn’t bring a lot of the other stuff that this guy brings. So we’ll find out.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ront-office-be

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Before people jump all over that one, lol, I would just like to point out that most GMs most likely operate that way.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Before people jump all over that one, lol, I would just like to point out that most GMs most likely operate that way.
Yeah not unusual for a GM to NOT watch prospects play, especially outside of their own system. That's what you have scouts for.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Yeah not unusual for a GM to NOT watch prospects play, especially outside of their own system. That's what you have scouts for.
Good thing, too. Not that Sather is God's Gift to GM's but you don't want a Jerry Jones situation with overstepping your role. Let Clark figure out the talent evaluation part. Sather can figure out the logistics and negotiations.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
It is unusual for the folks who questioned whether Kristo was a forward capable of playing at the NHL level every night, and there were many of them. And it was silly.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
It is unusual for the folks who questioned whether Kristo was a forward capable of playing at the NHL level every night, and there were many of them. And it was silly.
Sometimes I look at the Rangers FB page just for the laughs, other times it makes me feel sad for humanity and the Rangers fans who actually know hockey.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:29 PM
mike14

I'm somewhat surprised that Slats hasn't seen Kristo play. Not because I expect GMs to be scouting players, but with both Kreider and Stepan playing with him in the same tournament I thought he might have made a quick trip over to the WJC in order to catch up with his scouting staff and see a few of the orgs top prospects.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Pizza

Quote:
It's why you have Gorton, Clark and the rest of the scouting staff.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:14 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I'm always amazed how a guy can be intelligent enough to be a GM of a major pro sports but not know that good is an adjective NOT an adverb. This is like 3rd grade grammar.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Possibly through Kris Russell, who was with Columbus at that time, and was recently with the Blues.
They both played with guys who played with Kevin Bacon

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Danny Kristo was sitting by a lake next to friends T.J. Oshie and Evan Trupp on Tuesday afternoon, oblivious to the fact that his future had been re-arranged.

His agent tried to reach him. So did Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin and New York Rangers GM Glen Sather.
Kristo and Oshie were never teammates at North Dakota. Oshie grew up in Minnesota and played high school hockey there. Trupp was a teammate of Kristo and Oshie at North Dakota.

Quote:
Then, the former UND star called his new boss, Sather. Their conversation made Kristo eager for the upcoming season.

“He sounded really excited and he said he was really fired up. He said they had been trying to get me for a little bit. That was awesome to hear.”
http://www.grandforksherald.com/even.../group/Sports/

Old
07-04-2013, 07:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Kristo's sophomore year

Quote:
After tallying just five points in his first 17 games of the year, Kristo has 23 points in the last 16 games. He's scored a goal in three of four playoff games and has become a reliable player in all areas of the game.

"I think the emphasis coming into the year was to become better defensively," Kristo said. "I think I've done that a little bit better. I still have a lot to work on, a lot of stuff in the D-zone, but I feel I've made some strides there."

Sioux coach Dave Hakstol agrees.

"His game is improving and rounding out in terms of being a two-way player," Hakstol said. "Danny is a very competitive player. It has never been out of a lack of wanting to be a good defensive player, but a matter of maturing as a player and maturing in a two-way role."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...a-kristo_N.htm

Old
07-04-2013, 07:39 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm always amazed how a guy can be intelligent enough to be a GM of a major pro sports but not know that good is an adjective NOT an adverb. This is like 3rd grade grammar.
It's a common mistake. 99% of the people on this forum don't know the difference between "then" and "than".

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:58 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It's a common mistake. 99% of the people on this forum don't know the difference between "then" and "than".
Then and than can be just a typo though. Good and well not so much. I expect better from a GM of a pro sports team.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:46 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Then and than can be just a typo though. Good and well not so much. I expect better from a GM of a pro sports team.
I can only imagine how crazy you'd go if you were sitting in a room listening to Daryl Sutter talk.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:48 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Their/there/they're is my favorite. What's sad is how these sports role models teach terrible habits to the kids who look up to them.

Back on topic, I'm warming up to this trade more and more. Like everyone else, I hated Kristo on the WJC team. Leaving that aside, however, I love the reports about his improvement from year to year, both in terms of playmaking and defense, as well as the progression in his stats - that's exactly what you want to see from a prospect post draft. Also, in watching the highlights (and dusting off my memories of having watched him play live), I was particularly impressed with how active he was.

I've seen a couple folks mention Cally as a comparable, but I'm not sure if that's quite the right comp. I see it as more:
1% chance he becomes Pat Kane
33% chance he becomes Brad Marchand
33% chance he becomes Sean Avery (playing style, not necessarily the other antics)
33% chance he becomes Kris Newbury

Whereas Christian Thomas:
5% chance he becomes MSL
35% chance he becomes MZA
60% chance he becomes Nigel Dawes.

Sure, the second profile includes a higher (albeit still very small) chance of being a superstar, but I'd much rather have the first.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I'm not sure what kind of grammar you expect from a guy who didn't go to college and played junior hockey in the 50s and 60s.

Considering that most people make that mistake to begin with, I think it's more than ridiculous to expect our GM to be any better. Besides, good is fast becoming a colloquial adverb, so what does it matter? Language changes.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I'm not sure what kind of grammar you expect from a guy who didn't go to college and played junior hockey in the 50s and 60s.

Considering that most people make that mistake to begin with, I think it's more than ridiculous to expect our GM to be any better. Besides, good is fast becoming a colloquial adverb, so what does it matter? Language changes.
Was this on purpose?

And agree, don't see how it matters. Sather has many more important problems other than grammar.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Was this on purpose?
What do you mean? "Fast becoming" is accepted grammar.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
What do you mean? "Fast becoming" is accepted grammar.
Technically, it's "quickly becoming."

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Technically, it's "quickly becoming."
No, technically, it isn't. Fast is an adverb as well as an adjective. Hell, that usage is in the Oxford dictionary. Look at definition 2. http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionar...tionary/fast_2