HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thinks Nathan Horton will end up signing in a 'non traditional' hockey market.

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Dharvey33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Quebecers won't come home to play hockey because they probably don't enjoy being scrutinized on page one of the newspaper after every game they play. No matter the profession, I know that a great many people choose professions based on how laid back the work environment is. It doesn't mean these people don't want to work as hard to excel at their job...they just don't want some armchair know it all whose never spent a day of their life working in the same profession, taking it to them everytime they feel expectations aren't being met.

I know getting paid millions and being an athlete comes with expectations...but some people like a circus, and some don't.
I understand the media is dumb but anyway no one speaks french on the team so it's really such a big deal as people think. The big deal is getting recognized everywhere you go and being picked on by the morons in the streets. That must be tough for the confidence.

But still 90% of the habs fans are regular guys just passionate about the sport but sadly it's the 10 % morons that shows the most.

Anyway i personnaly don't care about no having quebecers free agents coming one way to solve it draft them so they can't go anywhere.

Some players are in it for the glory and some others just take it as a regular job.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Random thoughts.

1) John Elway once said that he'd trade every dollar he ever made in his NFL career to have the chance to go just one day without being recognized. He couldn't grab a coffee and bagel in the morning, go to a movie, or have dinner on the town with his wife or with his family without being swarmed. Clearly this means that John Elway was not a competitive individual, and that he only cared about...well, I'm not sure what.

2) Why wouldn't a player want to play in a "traditional" market? Because a couple years back, that was the difference between "Hey, we need to talk to you about someone you were associated with" and "THIS IS THE DARKEST DAY IN MONTREAL CANADIENS HISTORY!!!!" Does no one remember the rumors that were flying around? Everything from players being directly involved in a crime syndicate, to players being involved in drugging and ****** someone at a party, to being investigated in connection with everything but the Kennedy assassination?

3) Nathan Horton has played the last few years in a "traditional" market. He's been on both sides, being in Florida and being in Boston. He's also married and has kids, and I can imagine that the attention out in public can get to be a bit much and certainly nowhere as appealing as it was when he was younger.

4) Celebrity chef Alton Brown, who has a dedicated following mostly of nerds (I speak as a fan of Brown), issued his "fanifesto" a couple years back that involve dealing with the general public. No one has been able to accuse Brown of being anything but accessible and gracious, and yet even he felt compelled to lay out some ground rules as a result of some "unique" interactions. People don't just pull this stuff from nowhere, you know.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

vCash: 50
I understand the "I want to play in a non-traditional market" "Play in peace, go unnoticed on my off time"

Need to remember that Horton can comfortably retire in 6-8 more years of work doing something that most people call a hobby.

If he is seriously saying or thinking like that, it's ridiculous. All the power to him if he wants to play for a team like Columbus - but if he is doing it so he can rest his 27 year old body from the stresses of hockey? oh man, what a competitor and someone I want around the room!

Old
07-04-2013, 10:06 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Would look awesome in a preds sweater.
him or his bride

Old
07-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Horton said he wanted to play in a warm climate, And sorry Columbus does'nt fill that bill.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
v00d00daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Random thoughts.

1) John Elway once said that he'd trade every dollar he ever made in his NFL career to have the chance to go just one day without being recognized. He couldn't grab a coffee and bagel in the morning, go to a movie, or have dinner on the town with his wife or with his family without being swarmed. Clearly this means that John Elway was not a competitive individual, and that he only cared about...well, I'm not sure what.
Not what it means at all. What it means is that you're taking something he said that was pure hyperbole and treating it like fact.

John Elway was just conveying that he didn't like being recognized. Easy thing to say when you're already a star and filthy rich.

Go back in time and ask him if he'd have done it when he was 20 years old. I think not. LOL

Its like people complaining that Winter is too long and then complaining (on the first warm day of the year) that it's too muggy or humid out. LOL

They're athletes. They should compete and not try and hide. Otherwise, take the criticism and flip people the bird and move on with your life. Just don't be surprised when someone questions your dedication and fear of pressure.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
Not what it means at all. What it means is that you're taking something he said that was pure hyperbole and treating it like fact.

John Elway was just conveying that he didn't like being recognized. Easy thing to say when you're already a star and filthy rich.

Go back in time and ask him if he'd have done it when he was 20 years old. I think not. LOL

Its like people complaining that Winter is too long and then complaining (on the first warm day of the year) that it's too muggy or humid out. LOL

They're athletes. They should compete and not try and hide. Otherwise, take the criticism and flip people the bird and move on with your life. Just don't be surprised when someone questions your dedication and fear of pressure.
Just as John Elway was not 20 years old when he had this realization, neither is Nathan Horton. He's married and has a family.

Second, you erroneously conclude that "criticism" from media and fans is justified and not at all obnoxious. Ask any Flyer what it's like dealing with their media; look at one of their guys just a week ago who, angry that Ilya Bryzgalov didn't want to talk to him, took to Twitter to basically provide "evidence" that Bryzgalov was a horrible person, player, and teammate. Let's ask some Rangers how much they enjoy dealing with certain members of their media, or Senators how much they enjoy answering to Bruce Garrioch. Not one person can say with a straight face that what any of what they do is "criticism", instead of routinely lurching over into tabloidism.

Perhaps if you'd read the rest of my post, you'd already know this.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:22 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Horton said he wanted to play in a warm climate, And sorry Columbus does'nt fill that bill.
Thank you for recognizing that, not everyone realizes we're not a "sunbelt" franchise!

Old
07-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Horton haven't said that himself I think?, some reporter did though.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
v00d00daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Just as John Elway was not 20 years old when he had this realization, neither is Nathan Horton. He's married and has a family.

Second, you erroneously conclude that "criticism" from media and fans is justified and not at all obnoxious. Ask any Flyer what it's like dealing with their media; look at one of their guys just a week ago who, angry that Ilya Bryzgalov didn't want to talk to him, took to Twitter to basically provide "evidence" that Bryzgalov was a horrible person, player, and teammate. Let's ask some Rangers how much they enjoy dealing with certain members of their media, or Senators how much they enjoy answering to Bruce Garrioch. Not one person can say with a straight face that what any of what they do is "criticism", instead of routinely lurching over into tabloidism.

Perhaps if you'd read the rest of my post, you'd already know this.
I did read the rest of your post. I just didn't respond to it because I think it's a case of being overly sensitive.

First let me respond to the "he's married and has a family". He certainly does. And he's well within his rights to make decisions based on that. I just don't like the idea of a player specifically avoiding a big market because they don't like the attention. He picked the wrong career if he didn't want attention. And if he wants to be discreet in a small market that's his choice. I just don't see why anyone would be upset if he was criticized for it. It shows that he wants to compete, but be subject to less accountability.

As for Elway at 20...hindsight is always 20/20. It's easy to bust out the bravado and say "I'd give up all the money etc." but it's a flat out lie. He had ample opportunity to retire and move somewhere he wouldn't be recognized. He didn't.

As for tabloidism in the hockey media in big markets. I agree with you. It's gone way overboard and way beyond appropriate "criticism".

Still, that doesn't mean that a pro athlete can come out and say he wants to avoid it without expecting some criticism. Here in Toronto the media is notoriously negative and hard on the players and coaches.....and I hate the media for it, but that doesn't mean I'd be okay with Phil Kessel coming out and saying "I wanna leave Toronto because the media is too much". Suck it up. Ignore the members of the media that bother you. Give them garbage generic answers and call them out when they're wrong. There are options. Hiding in a city where nobody knows who you are and nobody covers the team is not a resolution that screams determination or a high level of motivation.

Be a big fish in a small pond or a big fish in a big pond. The choice you make has a little something to say about your character as a player. imo

That doesn't mean he's a coward or anything ridiculous like that. It just means that he's making a hockey decision based on non hockey matters. That sounds like a guy in the home stretch of a career, who's main motivation is not winning games.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
premadonna

NHL - a league where lack of popularity is a major asset for clubs.

Let's not forget that these annoying fans and large hockey markets are the reason why these players are making millions upon millions playing a game. It's a free world, but I do understand the frustration of Canadian fans.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:09 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
I understand the "I want to play in a non-traditional market" "Play in peace, go unnoticed on my off time"

Need to remember that Horton can comfortably retire in 6-8 more years of work doing something that most people call a hobby.

If he is seriously saying or thinking like that, it's ridiculous. All the power to him if he wants to play for a team like Columbus - but if he is doing it so he can rest his 27 year old body from the stresses of hockey? oh man, what a competitor and someone I want around the room!
Yes. He plans to sign with an NHL team so he can take a break from the stresses of hockey...

This is about quality of life, not laziness or needing rest. How people are missing that is beyond me. Some people get to a point where having more privacy while still working and earning money to support their family takes precedent over being a celebrity every time they go out. The limelight grows old.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:16 AM
v00d00daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Yes. He plans to sign with an NHL team so he can take a break from the stresses of hockey...

This is about quality of life, not laziness or needing rest. How people are missing that is beyond me. Some people get to a point where having more privacy while still working and earning money to support their family takes precedent over being a celebrity every time they go out. The limelight grows old.

Sorry, but he's in the wrong line of work if the limelight has grown old.

Will he be playing for the league minimum or will he be commanding 5 million like people are speculating?

Because making 5 million dollars a year to play hockey kind of eliminates your ability to remain anonymous without expecting to be called out for it.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:22 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Will he be playing for the league minimum or will he be commanding 5 million like people are speculating?

Because making 5 million dollars a year to play hockey kind of eliminates your ability to remain anonymous without expecting to be called out for it.
There's a spectrum from "anonymity" through "celebrity" to "unable to go out in public without being hassled by idiots." Some places may be a bit closer to the center than others.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:34 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

So a player who makes beyond a certain amount should not minimize the amount of publicity he gets outside of the arena? Or the amount of publicity his kids get at school? Or the amount his wife gets at the grocery store? These arguments are all grasping at straws trying to prove why players should want to go to big markets, and dragging them through mud if they choose not to. It isn't your life or mine. It is his. He can choose to live it how he wants, and it doesn't make him lazy or less of a competitor. Wait until you see his play to judge that. If you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't mean anything more than you don't like it. And it is based on your own personal reasons no matter how much you try to attach it to flaws in someone else.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:46 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
This thread is a good reason for Nathan Horton to sign with a nontraditional hockey market.
No kidding

"Nathan Horton didn't break up with me, I broke up with HIM!"

It's been a while since I've encountered a place on the Internet so full of strawman arguments and superiority complexes, and that's really saying something.

anyway horton scores 25 in Columbus next year bye

Old
07-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Vic Vinegar

Why are people acting like non-traditional markets have suddenly become magnets for big name UFAs? You people do realize that guys like Horton are in the minority, right? Teams like New York and Philly tend to attract the free agents. Not exactly non-traditional markets if you ask me.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
NHL - a league where lack of popularity is a major asset for clubs.

Let's not forget that these annoying fans and large hockey markets are the reason why these players are making millions upon millions playing a game. It's a free world, but I do understand the frustration of Canadian fans.
Oh, I understand it just fine. I'm a Buckeyes fan in Columbus, after all.

I just have no pity for or empathy with it.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-05-2013, 12:27 AM
harisH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
You have the choice - either your league is in general more competitve or you face teh same situation like in world football (soccer). The big clubs just dominate everything. The big difference, with the way American Major Sports Franchises work you can not run that system. Winnig means money! A lot more diversity of SC winners came with the CAP.
Of course that comparison is not at all accurate. Euro Soccer has no draft, no team rights for players (ELC, RFA) and many other things that I won't go into, its comparing apples to oranges.

Revenue sharing and narrow-cap gap doesn't work well in the NHL because its a market that spans 2 country's; where one is the national sport and front page news, while the other is 5/6th sport in most places, buried down in the newspaper. NHL isn't the NFL, where the market is homogeneous, and the case of NFL, I wont argue, works well for such a situation.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Habsrback

He does show up big time in the playoffs and would surely help many teams. If his statement is true, then I guess a return to the Panthers is realistic..

Old
07-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Horton haven't said that himself I think?, some reporter did though.
I know pure speculation, I guess the Hortons still maintain a home in Southern Florida, Supossingly his wife wants to be in a warmer climate they were saying.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Thank you for recognizing that, not everyone realizes we're not a "sunbelt" franchise!
Not me just reporters speculating, Though i could see him possibly going back to Florida. A young up and coming team he would give them valueable leadership.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:43 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
(Can't say anything about other countries educational system), but American educational systems need work...

Old
07-05-2013, 05:59 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
(Can't say anything about other countries educational system), but American educational systems need work...
It's usually not Americans who don't know where Columbus is located (but that doesn't alter the truth of your statement).

Old
07-05-2013, 06:08 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post

Up until this past year the Leafs were on pretty equal footing competitiveness-wise as Columbus. Did you ever speak ill of any free agent signings in Toronto while the team was sucking ass? Or were they golden boys coming home trying to fix their childhood favorite team.

That is to say nothing, of course, that perhaps Horton really respects Jarmo and John Davidson and believes in what they are trying to build. He, as a late 20-something player is still young enough to build with that team as it gets better and becomes so competitive that they actually make the playoffs (finally) like your dear Leafs finally managed to do this year.

Closed Thread