HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official Oscar Klefbom thread: Does he make the team out of camp?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2013, 10:19 AM
  #101
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya, can you imagine if Marincin and Gernat fill out like Klefa and Musil?
Nurse too.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:51 AM
  #102
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,714
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Nurse too.
Yep. I'm not too worried about Nurse filling out though with how much he works out

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He shrunk though he was 6'3.
Hockey measurements at their finest eh. I don't get how there's so much variance. I'm 6'3.5 no matter how many different times I'm measured

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  #103
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Klefbom was reported to be an offensive dman in some of the early scouting reports. But it sure sounds like he has been pretty much a shutdown derfender in the SEL. He had that role as well on Swedish WJHC team.
Ya, the SEL is always a mystery when it comes to how offensive a Dman can be. Given the big Ice offensive Dmen basically just don't exists. Young Dmen esspecially are just told to play D and not worry about rushing. It is just such a differnt game. ANy way, I wouldn't doubt that he still has lots of offensive upside, really you just have to wait untill you see him play on smaller ice, see how he reads the plays and jumps up. I think he could still have a high end offensive game. I wouldn't be surprised if you see Schultz and Klefbom on the powerplay.

ps. why I really wanted to see him at the WJC this year, shame he missed it. I think he he would have been a beast.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:43 PM
  #104
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра
 
Comrade Blunderbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: КПЗ
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Hockey measurements at their finest eh. I don't get how there's so much variance. I'm 6'3.5 no matter how many different times I'm measured
i've been measured anywhere between 190 cm (6'3) to 196 cm (6'5) over last 5 years, results may vary greatly because of daytime (you may be up to an inch taller when you get up opposed to when you go to sleep), also many other things may kick in.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:57 PM
  #105
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, the SEL is always a mystery when it comes to how offensive a Dman can be. Given the big Ice offensive Dmen basically just don't exists. Young Dmen esspecially are just told to play D and not worry about rushing. It is just such a differnt game. ANy way, I wouldn't doubt that he still has lots of offensive upside, really you just have to wait untill you see him play on smaller ice, see how he reads the plays and jumps up. I think he could still have a high end offensive game. I wouldn't be surprised if you see Schultz and Klefbom on the powerplay.

ps. why I really wanted to see him at the WJC this year, shame he missed it. I think he he would have been a beast.
True, the only d-man who really tore up SHL (SEL, time to get used to the new name!) was Rundblad, and he hasn't done so well over here (yet).

Klefbom was above 0.25 last season though, although the sample was only 11 games. That's really good for a defenseman in SHL.



That said, last year in juniors Klefbom was basically PPG... He slowed down a lot when he was moved up to SHL at 17 y.o. but I see that as a good sign (as I've been on about before). He is a defenseman, his no 1 duty is defense and I think you will see that he handles that part of the game extremely well. Add to that that he is an excellent skater, technical and with a good shot and you know that it will only be matter of time until he is decent, or good, offensively whilst being solid defensively.


I hope I am not exaggerating but I really don't see anything warning signals in terms of his ability and performance so far. The sky is the limit for this kid imo.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:13 PM
  #106
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
True, the only d-man who really tore up SHL (SEL, time to get used to the new name!) was Rundblad, and he hasn't done so well over here (yet).

Klefbom was above 0.25 last season though, although the sample was only 11 games. That's really good for a defenseman in SHL.



That said, last year in juniors Klefbom was basically PPG... He slowed down a lot when he was moved up to SHL at 17 y.o. but I see that as a good sign (as I've been on about before). He is a defenseman, his no 1 duty is defense and I think you will see that he handles that part of the game extremely well. Add to that that he is an excellent skater, technical and with a good shot and you know that it will only be matter of time until he is decent, or good, offensively whilst being solid defensively.


I hope I am not exaggerating but I really don't see anything warning signals in terms of his ability and performance so far. The sky is the limit for this kid imo.
I'm not sure if you would've seen these guys play or not, but how would you compare Klefa to previous Swedish dmen like Mattias Ohlund and Kenny Jonsson?

When I look at Klefbom, he makes me think of a young Ohlund myself. Maybe that's overly optimistic?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:33 PM
  #107
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I'm not sure if you would've seen these guys play or not, but how would you compare Klefa to previous Swedish dmen like Mattias Ohlund and Kenny Jonsson?

When I look at Klefbom, he makes me think of a young Ohlund myself. Maybe that's overly optimistic?
I didn't see so much of Ohlund at the age of Klefbom but I can say that Klefbom is a better skater, has better hands and a higher hockey IQ but he is behind Ohlund in offense (Ohlund was quite good/promising offensively at a young age) and I think that he is less physical than Ohlund was.

I do like the Jonsson comparison though. First time I've seen it but they definitely have things in common when it comes to IQ (decision making, calm, leadership).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:21 PM
  #108
McNutty780
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Pardon my Ignorance but is klefbom comparable to OEL at all?

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:48 PM
  #109
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post
Pardon my Ignorance but is klefbom comparable to OEL at all?
No. OEL much more refined and intelligent with the puck

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:12 PM
  #110
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,580
vCash: 6964
Bumped to include Oscar's scrimmage shifts at Oiler Development Camp 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC92iDBC_jo

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
  #111
Musashi
Registered User
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
gotta love the kbomb cam

thanks!

Musashi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:36 PM
  #112
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Bumped to include Oscar's scrimmage shifts at Oiler Development Camp 2013.

]
Thanks for doing that. I will embed your vid in this reply.

His shift where he scores starts at 13:18

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:16 PM
  #113
No Good Names Left
Registered User
 
No Good Names Left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
If he is sound defensively and can move the puck out of our zone to our forwards in motion, I will be happy.

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:38 PM
  #114
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Thanks for doing that. I will embed your vid in this reply.

His shift where he scores starts at 13:18
Decent puck skills - not the most elite in that category like we've seen in Schultz.

Solid defensive and offensive zone positioning - some rookie lapses where he over-commits to the forward and gets taken advantage of on what's essentially a 2-on-1 play - but OEL was making similar mistakes in his rookie campaign as well. His decision-making is sublime though. Always seems to make the right play.

Skating is great to see, good mobility and agility. Solid speed for his size. Obviously very big compared to the kids he's playing with.

Wouldn't mind seeing him get 10-20 games in the AHL. I don't think it'll take long into the season for the Oil to identify who of that long list of one-way contract Dmen isn't up to par. Belov, Potter, and Larsen are yet to prove themselves to the coaching staff.

Overall a very high quality player - but still a work in progress. Unless he's mind-blowingly good in TC he should start with OKC.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
  #115
SouthSwe
Registered User
 
SouthSwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
People i talked to in Sweden in the hockey world speaks about him as the next Swedish superstar and almost everyone thinks hes gonna be better then Brodin, and these guys works in Sel teams(not Farjestad)!
The next Swedish Superstar yes but I've never heard anyone saying he's gonna be better than Brodin.
Brodin has always been the better player and the bigger talent up until the WJC when Sweden won the gold, that's when Klefa finally took a solid spot in Färjestads roster. It was as if he realised how good he actually is and since then the Klefa/Brodin been about 50/50 regarding who's the bigger talent.

Brodin then had his success with the national team in the WC and yet again were the player with the brightest future of the two, with all kind of praise from coaches and players.

When Bacon left for Minnesota Klefbom stayed in Färjestad for another year, bulking up and getting a bigger role in the defense.
Up until his injury in the 13th game, he was by far Färjestads best player and SEL's best Dman, not only by my opionion but almost all journalist and such.

He probably wud have been even better if he had been able to play the whole season but there is no doubt at all that he still is ready to play NHL hockey this season.

Still I've never heard anyone(players, coaches, fans, journalists) say he's gonna be better than Brodin, they have always been very equal with Brodin always abit ahead due to performance, but at the same time I don't know who u've been talking to.

SouthSwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
  #116
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
The next Swedish Superstar yes but I've never heard anyone saying he's gonna be better than Brodin.
Brodin has always been the better player and the bigger talent up until the WJC when Sweden won the gold, that's when Klefa finally took a solid spot in Färjestads roster. It was as if he realised how good he actually is and since then the Klefa/Brodin been about 50/50 regarding who's the bigger talent.

Brodin then had his success with the national team in the WC and yet again were the player with the brightest future of the two, with all kind of praise from coaches and players.

When Bacon left for Minnesota Klefbom stayed in Färjestad for another year, bulking up and getting a bigger role in the defense.
Up until his injury in the 13th game, he was by far Färjestads best player and SEL's best Dman, not only by my opionion but almost all journalist and such.

He probably wud have been even better if he had been able to play the whole season but there is no doubt at all that he still is ready to play NHL hockey this season.

Still I've never heard anyone(players, coaches, fans, journalists) say he's gonna be better than Brodin, they have always been very equal with Brodin always abit ahead due to performance, but at the same time I don't know who u've been talking to.
As a fellow Swede I approve of this post .

Maybe I am wrong but I think that most of the Klefbom > Brodin talk has been simple speculation on boards like these.

I obviously hope he'll be become the better player, but that's just hope and not really based on anything else.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:55 PM
  #117
azashi
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
As a fellow Swede I approve of this post .

Maybe I am wrong but I think that most of the Klefbom > Brodin talk has been simple speculation on boards like these.

I obviously hope he'll be become the better player, but that's just hope and not really based on anything else.
How does Larsson figure into these equations?

azashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
  #118
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Looking like yes, but I hope they aren't afraid to pull him back and give him a better view of the ice if he starts to get eaten up a bit by the most physically demanding season of his life. Dougie Hamilton is a good example of this in Boston, it's always good to have vets on standby that will know what the grind is like as these young players get acclimated to their new playing environment.

I wish Tambo had something like that in place for J Schultz last year but instead he was just tossed in the deep end without a lifejacket. He treaded water admirably for the most part but the season just got too long and he was drowning by the end. It has nothing to do with the players' skills but the new environment... I hope the team is ready to deal with the bumps and aren't depending on Klefbom to be a saviour of any sort - any net positive contributions by him should simply be viewed as icing on the cake. For any rookie defenseman it's about surviving the season and learning what being a pro is all about. Showing progress from the beginning to the end is what is important - it should be expected there will be notable fluctuations throughout the year.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
  #119
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
The next Swedish Superstar yes but I've never heard anyone saying he's gonna be better than Brodin.
Brodin has always been the better player and the bigger talent up until the WJC when Sweden won the gold, that's when Klefa finally took a solid spot in Färjestads roster. It was as if he realised how good he actually is and since then the Klefa/Brodin been about 50/50 regarding who's the bigger talent.

Brodin then had his success with the national team in the WC and yet again were the player with the brightest future of the two, with all kind of praise from coaches and players.

When Bacon left for Minnesota Klefbom stayed in Färjestad for another year, bulking up and getting a bigger role in the defense.
Up until his injury in the 13th game, he was by far Färjestads best player and SEL's best Dman, not only by my opionion but almost all journalist and such.

He probably wud have been even better if he had been able to play the whole season but there is no doubt at all that he still is ready to play NHL hockey this season.

Still I've never heard anyone(players, coaches, fans, journalists) say he's gonna be better than Brodin, they have always been very equal with Brodin always abit ahead due to performance, but at the same time I don't know who u've been talking to.
Autocorrect?

The insight is much appreciated, thanks very much.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
  #120
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Autocorrect?

The insight is much appreciated, thanks very much.
That's his awesome nickname actually

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:13 AM
  #121
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,617
vCash: 500
Swedish posters ... I'm wondering for those of you who have watched Klefa play (I really only got to see him at the WJC here in Edmonton/Calgary) does he normally play left side or right side?

He looked to be playing right side at the development camp judging from the video that one poster uploaded to youtube.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:30 AM
  #122
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Swedish posters ... I'm wondering for those of you who have watched Klefa play (I really only got to see him at the WJC here in Edmonton/Calgary) does he normally play left side or right side?

He looked to be playing right side at the development camp judging from the video that one poster uploaded to youtube.
So whats the deal with Klefa? is that is name, Oscar just a english name. is his name Klefa Klefbom?

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:34 AM
  #123
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,617
vCash: 500
Klefa is just a nickname, play on his last name.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:13 PM
  #124
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 177
I'm really looking forward to watching him play, making smart decisions on the ice and being in good position.

If he scores a goal in the first 10 games, I'll be absolutely surprised.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:26 PM
  #125
B A T M A N*
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Sucks that he would probably have been even better had he not missed a year of development..

B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.