HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts on ESPN Radio 98.7 at 4PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2013, 10:31 PM
  #51
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You think one or a dozen more assistants means that much?
Actually, I for one do.

There's a reason that, in the NFL for instance, you don't see the most successful teams having their coaches have total control over offense or defense anymore. Even the best minds need the smallest amount of help.

It's just too much & was silly that Torts had only 1 full-time assistant with him not just with the Rangers but dating back to his post-lockout stint in Tampa.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:05 AM
  #52
The Mouth
Registered User
 
The Mouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
I heard the interview, all the same old Torts B.S offseason pleasantries , before he turns into the monster once the games start. He still just cant say he apologizes for all the NY media nonsense. Like Slattipuss said this guy is beyond stubborn. I suspect he hasn't learned one damn thing about his media problems.

This guy took the joy out of everything, even when they did win. But like a previous poster said,he is dead and gone. Time to move on to age of enlightenment now that the Dark Ages are over.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:02 AM
  #53
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
I'm not going to jump into the pissing contest, people who know me know how I feel about Torts. I'll just leave it at this: I'm going to miss him as our coach, and I think his contributions to this franchise were, on the whole, outstanding.

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:26 AM
  #54
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Um, did this clown not get fired and run outta town? Let bygones be bygones, close the thread cuz he deserves no more recognition or own threads on this website, let him now feel the heat in a hockeycrazed place like Vancouver, and btw nobody that loves the Rangers gives a damm about that schmuck anyways...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:07 AM
  #55
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,262
vCash: 500
Hahaha, this is the problem with Torts. He was the joke of the league before getting fired. Everyone outside NY tore him apart. We played like **** in all areas of the game.

But no, all he wants to do is come up with excuses. Trash Kreider. Point at Boston being better.

What does Boston have to do with teams like Montreal, the Islanders and Ottwaa playing 10x as good hockey as we did (save for hank)?

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:38 AM
  #56
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,505
vCash: 500
Torts wants to "cultivate" a relationship with the media. Just answer the questions. Don't try to be their buddy. Torts isn't going to change. The Vancouver media will look to push his buttons. A 3 game losing streak and Torts will be back to answering questions with "yes" and "no".

Quote:
Even with defenceman Keith Ballard off the books, the Vancouver Canucks face a salary-cap conundrum that figures to prevent the team from making any kind of splash in the free agent pool.

Ballard's compliance buyout, which will be completed on Thursday, frees up $4.2 million of cap space for the Canucks. But that only leaves Vancouver with $7.497 million of cap space with seven roster spots left to fill to complete its 23-man roster.

So barring a trade of a veteran core player and most of them have no-movement clauses the Canucks figure to be simply trying to fill out their roster with players making $1 million or less.

When you factor defenceman Chris Tanev into the equation, the Canucks' cap crunch becomes even more severe. Tanev is a restricted free agent and is pencilled in to be the team's No. 5 defenceman. He figures to more than double last season's salary of $900,000.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz2Y4lAxwkf

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:59 AM
  #57
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts wants to "cultivate" a relationship with the media. Just answer the questions. Don't try to be their buddy. Torts isn't going to change. The Vancouver media will look to push his buttons. A 3 game losing streak and Torts will be back to answering questions with "yes" and "no".



Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz2Y4lAxwkf
Sounds like a team could really put the screws to VC with some well timed offer sheets

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:06 AM
  #58
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
I think it does matter that Torts has 2 assistants and only wanted 1 here. It was obvious that both Torts and Sully couldnt adjust/adapt as well as some teams, and it may be because they took on too much themselves. I also put part of the blame on Rangers management, after all its their ultimate decision on what really goes on with the team and coaching staff. Sure, they were coming off a conference finals appearance, but with the way their PP was failing, they needed help, any kind of help from a different voice. That may have been a move that couldve made a difference, when 2 or 3 more PP goals (to approach a normal percentage) in the playoffs could've really made an impact. Thats just my opinion.

But like others have said, he's gone. Time to move on.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:50 AM
  #59
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,540
vCash: 500
I understand why we're still talking about Torts, but I really wish we weren't. I think the fact that we are so polarized over this guy can be boiled down to what you think about the following cliche:

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game."

You cannot argue with the results the man had here. They were great, especially by NYR standards. You can argue about whether or not the method by which those results were achieved were similarly great. Even if you take the argument over whether or not the "system" maximized the potential of the roster off the table, I will still argue that this team was just not playing the game the right way. The analogy to "positive" soccer is a great one. This team has not been playing a "positive" game, and I'm actually kind of glad they didn't win it all because it may have had a negative impact on the entire league given coach's copycat tendencies.

All of this media relations crap is irrelevant.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:07 AM
  #60
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I heard the interview, all the same old Torts B.S offseason pleasantries , before he turns into the monster once the games start. He still just cant say he apologizes for all the NY media nonsense. Like Slattipuss said this guy is beyond stubborn. I suspect he hasn't learned one damn thing about his media problems.

This guy took the joy out of everything, even when they did win. But like a previous poster said,he is dead and gone. Time to move on to age of enlightenment now that the Dark Ages are over.
Excellent point.

I know there is a large contingent that will say "just win, I don't care if each side gets 3 shots per period and then the game is decided 1-0 in the SO." But I didn't start following hockey because I wanted to watch my city prove its metaphorical dominance over other areas of North America by eking out victories on sporting fields by whatever means necessary; I started watching hockey because, when played well, it is one of the most exciting, interesting and even beautiful spectacles to watch. It's supposed to be FUN.

Torts - and before him, Renney - eliminated that from the Rangers. Which is ironic, because when he first came here, I grudgingly accepted his douchebaggery, due to the fact that I was promised "safe is death." And then instead I got "collapse in front, chip it up the walls and dump in." SOOOO painful. Then add his ******* nature when discussing the game and even the interviews became unenjoyable.

In Renney's case, it was at least forgivable as he was in over his head, had limited resources and was clinging on for dear life. (Note that this doesn't mean it wasn't time to go.) Torts, on the other hand, had plenty of resources, but was on a permanent power trip - it was always about him controlling the game himself, rather than enabling his players.

I am optimistically hopeful that AV will be a breath of fresh air.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:14 AM
  #61
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 500
Pretty obvious that most posters didn't even listen to the interview and are just making the typical arguments about Torts.

Anyway, having listened to the interview, not surprised at all to hear that him and Slats clashed all the time. Both are stubborn and arrogant. However, we all know that Sather's decision-making is not the best so it may not be a bad thing for a coach to push back a bit. I hope AV doesn't hesitate to speak up if he feels that Sather is about to do something stupid.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
  #62
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
This drives me nuts on here people are so opinionated and nasty to other posters yet they have no idea miller was injured and couldn't play.. Watch the team then have a opinion that is all
Oh, come on man. Pot meet kettle. You just called a guy a Torts lover because he presented facts that went against your argument. If you are going to do stuff like that be prepared to get some nasty responses.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:46 AM
  #63
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,799
vCash: 500
Torts had 2 assistant coaches his entire tenure here.

He only had 1 on the bench with him.

Schoenfeld was an assistant.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  #64
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Torts had 2 assistant coaches his entire tenure here.

He only had 1 on the bench with him.

Schoenfeld was an assistant.
Technically he had 3 with Allaire.

Schoenfeld is also an assistant GM for the Rangers.

Nobody fully believes that he knows every inner workings of everything with the team either in the way that Gorton does.

For all real intents & purposes, Torts had 1 full-time assistant.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:29 PM
  #65
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
You are nuts .. Doctor Tom did so much more for this franchise then torts ever did.
You're an imbecile if you think that Tom Renny is a better coach than Torts! That gum chewing fool never held one player accountable during the time he was here. Time to wake up and smell the coffee!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:22 PM
  #66
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
The Vancouver canucks just announced a trade. a 1st in the next two drafts and a 2nd in this draft for Chris Kreider

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:23 PM
  #67
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You're an imbecile if you think that Tom Renny is a better coach than Torts! That gum chewing fool never held one player accountable during the time he was here. Time to wake up and smell the coffee!
Hey sure let's not rationally debate why Torts was better let's just call him an imbecile! Awesome! I understand why the other dude insulted goon but I don't get why you would. It's going to start another personal attack fest. I don't love having my time utterly wasted reading this stuff.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:27 PM
  #68
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I understand why we're still talking about Torts, but I really wish we weren't. I think the fact that we are so polarized over this guy can be boiled down to what you think about the following cliche:

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game."

You cannot argue with the results the man had here. They were great, especially by NYR standards. You can argue about whether or not the method by which those results were achieved were similarly great. Even if you take the argument over whether or not the "system" maximized the potential of the roster off the table, I will still argue that this team was just not playing the game the right way. The analogy to "positive" soccer is a great one. This team has not been playing a "positive" game, and I'm actually kind of glad they didn't win it all because it may have had a negative impact on the entire league given coach's copycat tendencies.

All of this media relations crap is irrelevant.
I always preferred "It doesn't matter whether you win or lose as long as you have fun." This holds triple as a fan

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:28 PM
  #69
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Hey sure let's not rationally debate why Torts was better let's just call him an imbecile! Awesome! I understand why the other dude insulted goon but I don't get why you would. It's going to start another personal attack fest. I don't love having my time utterly wasted reading this stuff.
If he can say I'm nuts than I can refer to him and his ridiculously baseless comments as an imbecile.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:58 PM
  #70
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,252
vCash: 50
People making fun of other people and then getting mad at people for making fun of them because they made fun of people.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:07 PM
  #71
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Three One Dash View Post
People making fun of other people and then getting mad at people for making fun of them because they made fun of people.
HF Boards in a nutshell. You have people who are perfectly capable of dishing it out but when it comes their way for a change they can't take it.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:56 PM
  #72
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Three One Dash View Post
People making fun of other people and then getting mad at people for making fun of them because they made fun of people.
#TheInternet

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
  #73
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
HF Boards in a nutshell. You have people who are perfectly capable of dishing it out but when it comes their way for a change they can't take it.
Nice post! That's pretty much the m.o.on here in a nutshell.

Oh yeah, I have a few more comments on torts et al; while we have all moved on from his coaching reign(including myself), fans like Dagoon who in his divine wisdom believes "Dr Tom" (who will be a lifer as an assistant coach going forward) did a better job than Torts and that other scatterbrained fan who stated a few weeks ago,"Tort's would never get another coaching job again" really need to wake up to reality! Perhaps actually watching the games would be a good start.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:16 PM
  #74
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,741
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
I agree 100%. Its funny most wanted him gone when he was here now that he is gone people seem to miss him lol
I find it hilarious as well. People were ready to lynch him 2 months ago now the same posters are praising Torts on the Canucks page.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:22 PM
  #75
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,741
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Excellent point.

I know there is a large contingent that will say "just win, I don't care if each side gets 3 shots per period and then the game is decided 1-0 in the SO." But I didn't start following hockey because I wanted to watch my city prove its metaphorical dominance over other areas of North America by eking out victories on sporting fields by whatever means necessary; I started watching hockey because, when played well, it is one of the most exciting, interesting and even beautiful spectacles to watch. It's supposed to be FUN.

Torts - and before him, Renney - eliminated that from the Rangers. Which is ironic, because when he first came here, I grudgingly accepted his douchebaggery, due to the fact that I was promised "safe is death." And then instead I got "collapse in front, chip it up the walls and dump in." SOOOO painful. Then add his ******* nature when discussing the game and even the interviews became unenjoyable.

In Renney's case, it was at least forgivable as he was in over his head, had limited resources and was clinging on for dear life. (Note that this doesn't mean it wasn't time to go.) Torts, on the other hand, had plenty of resources, but was on a permanent power trip - it was always about him controlling the game himself, rather than enabling his players.

I am optimistically hopeful that AV will be a breath of fresh air.
I was heard spouting this exact same thing at the Garden all season long. I was really getting sick of watching the rangers play this style of hockey. I am really hoping to watch some exciting hockey this season, played by the Rangers.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.