HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2013, 11:38 AM
  #901
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
With Erat and Sk gone, along with missing one of the top 3 forwards in the draft, Poile has to sign at least one forward, probably two. Look for him to overpay one of the UFAs, and/or overpay via a trade. Probably offering Brier substantially more than NJ and MTL. He can't open the season without filling the void left by Erat and SK. Discounting last season, these two accounted for a significant amount of our offensive production.
Well, no, he can. We will just be drafting McDavid at next year's draft

Roman Yoshi is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:39 AM
  #902
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Does Grabo make this team better? Can he be a #1 center. I keep hearing he was misused in Toronto...
He will put up 50 points. Another Legwand but it would allow us to really roll 3 lines of offense and allow one of Legwand or Wilson to go to wing. Grabo also doesn't have that bad of a contract.

Roman Yoshi is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:39 AM
  #903
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Grabovski on unconditional waivers.
He should clear, then we should go hard at him. It would be the perfect move.This is the type of value pick up that Poile thrives on.

braindead is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:42 AM
  #904
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Seems like a decent enough player, but with the whole fighting with teammates, getting arrested, and then biting incidents does the management want him?
If true, no way the Preds take this guy. The organization is all about integrity.

WartracePred is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:43 AM
  #905
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
He should clear, then we should go hard at him. It would be the perfect move.This is the type of value pick up that Poile thrives on.
Absolutely agree. But I agree, I don't foresee us taking a chance on Grabo, even though he is exactly the kind of player we need up front at center. It's a tough call. He is slightly overpaid but this gives us a 1b center without giving anything up.

Roman Yoshi is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:44 AM
  #906
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
No reason to let him clear if he is wanted. From a little research the guy is a warrior and was misused in Toronto. Also getting married tomorrow..Lol talk about a wedding crasher...
If Poile wants him he better claim him. I doubt we would win a battle with all the teams that will be in on him.

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:45 AM
  #907
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
If Nashville isn't a "warm climate" then what would you classify it as?

Here, it's classified as a humid subtropical climate, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

That sounds like a warm climate to me.

I think weather of a city has little effect on whether or not players sign in your city. $$ talks.
Except in the potential case of Briere, with us offering the most and still getting turned down. And for what it's worth, I don't think this would exactly be the first time we've offered more money to a player and got turned down. I would bet Poile throws around more money than we think he does.

As far as the weather thing...when I personally think of a "warm climate" I think of a place that is mild and temperate for the entire year. Yeah, Southern California and Arizona get a little cool here and there in the winter, but the cities that I think of in that context are much warmer, much more often than Nashville is. But, some people may think differently. As far as how much that has to do with a player's potential playing city, I think players with a family might care a little more about it. They have a wife and kids that have to live in that city even when the player is on the road, and they have a say in it.

Drake744 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:51 AM
  #908
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
Thirdman just trolled the s.h...out of the tor/nsh thread.
Horny for Grabo..
People are going back and forth about value....yada yada.

Thirdman... Looks like he can be had for free...closed....haha

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:02 PM
  #909
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,984
vCash: 500
Preds have #4 waiver priority right? I would LOL if they managed to get both Grabo and Briere. Irony would be SK would pay for half of Grabosky salary

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:04 PM
  #910
RCola88
Registered User
 
RCola88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 758
vCash: 459
Poile better claim Grabo. Seriously if he doesn't I will be very disappointed no reason not to, and we won't have a chance if he gets to free agency.

RCola88 is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
  #911
ChesterCopperpot1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
There is NO reason why GMDP shouldn't put in a claim for Grabo. His contract isn't all that bad and he would probably be our top line center. It makes far too much sense which means...GMDP won't do it.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:06 PM
  #912
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Thirdman just trolled the s.h...out of the tor/nsh thread.
Horny for Grabo..
People are going back and forth about value....yada yada.

Thirdman... Looks like he can be had for free...closed....haha
I get to have a little fun every now and then

TMI is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
  #913
ChesterCopperpot1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Except in the potential case of Briere, with us offering the most and still getting turned down. And for what it's worth, I don't think this would exactly be the first time we've offered more money to a player and got turned down. I would bet Poile throws around more money than we think he does.

As far as the weather thing...when I personally think of a "warm climate" I think of a place that is mild and temperate for the entire year. Yeah, Southern California and Arizona get a little cool here and there in the winter, but the cities that I think of in that context are much warmer, much more often than Nashville is. But, some people may think differently. As far as how much that has to do with a player's potential playing city, I think players with a family might care a little more about it. They have a wife and kids that have to live in that city even when the player is on the road, and they have a say in it.
Have you ever been to San Diego? That place rarely seems temperatures north of 80 degrees or south of 60 degrees.

I wouldn't classify it as a warm climate(I think San Diego's climate is awesome TBH). IMO, you can't classify yourself as a warm climate if you walk outside in the summer and don't immediately start sweating at least once.

When I lived in Vegas(BTW, it gets in the 40s pretty regularly during the winter months in Vegas) my girlfriend and I made a weekend trip to San Diego to escape the heat and the difference was 35 degrees as it was 110 in Vegas and 75 in San Diego. But by your logic, San Diego is warm and Vegas isn't because it gets cold in Vegas during the winter and it doesn't in San Diego.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:25 PM
  #914
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Have you ever been to San Diego? That place rarely seems temperatures north of 80 degrees or south of 60 degrees.

I wouldn't classify it as a warm climate(I think San Diego's climate is awesome TBH). IMO, you can't classify yourself as a warm climate if you walk outside in the summer and don't immediately start sweating at least once.

When I lived in Vegas(BTW, it gets in the 40s pretty regularly during the winter months in Vegas) my girlfriend and I made a weekend trip to San Diego to escape the heat and the difference was 35 degrees as it was 110 in Vegas and 75 in San Diego. But by your logic, San Diego is warm and Vegas isn't because it gets cold in Vegas during the winter and it doesn't in San Diego.
How awesome would it be to be a meterologist in San Diego? You could basically pencil in high of 75 low of 65 and sunny 315 days a year.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
  #915
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I get to have a little fun every now and then
It was one retarded thread anyway. Much like any Leafs thread.

Byrddog is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:28 PM
  #916
ChesterCopperpot1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
How awesome would it be to be a meterologist in San Diego? You could basically pencil in high of 75 low of 65 and sunny 315 days a year.
You'd be right about 75% of the time too.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:28 PM
  #917
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Have you ever been to San Diego? That place rarely seems temperatures north of 80 degrees or south of 60 degrees.

I wouldn't classify it as a warm climate(I think San Diego's climate is awesome TBH). IMO, you can't classify yourself as a warm climate if you walk outside in the summer and don't immediately start sweating at least once.

When I lived in Vegas(BTW, it gets in the 40s pretty regularly during the winter months in Vegas) my girlfriend and I made a weekend trip to San Diego to escape the heat and the difference was 35 degrees as it was 110 in Vegas and 75 in San Diego. But by your logic, San Diego is warm and Vegas isn't because it gets cold in Vegas during the winter and it doesn't in San Diego.
Yes, I used to live in San Diego haha. I'm also looking to get back in a year or so. Once you get away from the coast, it gets into the 80s and 90s frequently. The general toungue-in-cheek rule of thumb is for every mile inland you go, you add one degree to the temperature. I used to go to school in El Cajon which is about 20 miles east of the coast. High 90s to low 100s is common out there. But it's obviously very dry. "Warm" is a general word I'm using. When I think of NHL cities like LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa I'm thinking of the generally warm and dry climates during the fall/winter/spring, when the player and his family would be living there. If I put myself in one of those above cities (Vegas included) on any typical day throughout hockey season, the odds are it's going to be warmer than it would be in Nashville on any given day. In Nashville, we tend to get excited if it's 70 in January, and when it does, a storm is usually coming the next day. We have our bits and pieces of consistent comfortable weather in the winter, but it's always seemed pretty rare to me.

Drake744 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:36 PM
  #918
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,830
vCash: 50
Leafs buying out Grabovski.

find that hilarious given some of the ridiculous trade requests the TO posters were making..

you want Wilson? Klein?

no thanks we will just try to get him for... NOTHING thank you

edit: and the rumor monger who shall not be named says we are now in on horton, especially if briere doesn't sign with us


Last edited by PredsV82: 07-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.
PredsV82 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
  #919
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
No reason to let him clear if he is wanted. From a little research the guy is a warrior and was misused in Toronto. Also getting married tomorrow..Lol talk about a wedding crasher...
If Poile wants him he better claim him. I doubt we would win a battle with all the teams that will be in on him.
Completely misused. In fact I'd go so far as to say Carlyle was an utter moron in his use of Grabo.

Grabo would be a great fit for the Preds.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:40 PM
  #920
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Leafs buying out Grabovski.

find that hilarious given some of the ridiculous trade requests the TO posters were making..

you want Wilson? Klein?

no thanks we will just try to get him for... NOTHING thank you
This is a brutal move by Nonis. This is Grabo's lowest career year offensively, and we was given nearly a minute less in PP time than last year, and was playing 15 minutes a game on the third line.

This is an awful use of a compliance buyout by Nonis. Had he kept him for a year, he'd have reestablished his value no problem.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:43 PM
  #921
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,959
vCash: 500
I think Nonis is looking at the cap lowering, looking at Kadri having such an impressive year, comfortable with Bozak and realizes that he only has the compliance buy outs this year. He has to clear space to make moves. Grabo was just the odd man out. He may have reestablished his value after next season, but if he didn't... well... suddenly Nonis is looking like a fool. It's a gamble for sure, either way.

TMI is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:54 PM
  #922
Firestorm
Registered User
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada Eh?
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
This is the only waiver pick up that would make sense for us.

Firestorm is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:57 PM
  #923
Mercalius
Registered User
 
Mercalius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
I really, really hope we claim Grabovski. Would be a big win IMO even if he's a tad overpaid.

Mercalius is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:58 PM
  #924
Mercalius
Registered User
 
Mercalius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
From Twitter:

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin 13m
Daniel Brière says no decision has been made on a contract but it could come later today.
Retweeted by JoshuaCooper

Mercalius is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 01:04 PM
  #925
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think Nonis is looking at the cap lowering, looking at Kadri having such an impressive year, comfortable with Bozak and realizes that he only has the compliance buy outs this year. He has to clear space to make moves. Grabo was just the odd man out. He may have reestablished his value after next season, but if he didn't... well... suddenly Nonis is looking like a fool. It's a gamble for sure, either way.
If he's comfortable with Bozak, he's already a fool. Plus he still has the option of the compliance buyout for next year.

theIceWookie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.