HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 23/10/06 Buffalo @ Montreal 7PM EST RDS

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2006, 08:53 PM
  #651
Rhett4
Where my coach at?
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I don't know what the feed you guys got was but on VS they zoomed in on Briere's hand at the bench and it was shaking and swollen.
And I've had that happen to me (okay, it was a broomball game, but still ; p), and I can tell you...it hurts like hell.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 08:53 PM
  #652
lennywebster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
that's it DENIS! .. ça on n'appelle ça un HOOK

lennywebster is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
  #653
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
This Buffalo team is something special.
I wouldn't go that far.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a very good team, possibly the class of the East right now, I just don't think they're a "special" team. As Briere himself said, they really shouldn't be 9-0. Think Ottawa last season, that's how good I think they are -- an excellent team, a threat for the President's Cup, but not a legendary team -- you have to decide whether that's "special" enough for you or not.

They are opportunistic as all get-out tho, something I wish the Habs could copy (fat chance). Otherwise... I do not see the vast separation in ability between the Sabres and the Habs, I really don't.

I think the Habs are actually very close to being on the same level, but something's missing. Something that makes a big difference, and I don't think it's in terms of players. Call it a combination of confidence and cohesion. I think the Habs could get there this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
But it's a long season, and the Habs are so far proving to be a solid team in every respect.
Yes indeed. The frustrating thing about the two games against Buffalo is that the Habs have outplayed the Sabres for quite a few stretches...

But then that's the Sabres' game, really: turn the puck over, rush down, score. It's how they beat Ottawa last playoffs.

And the Habs? Never-say-die. I think Lats earned himself some brownie points, especially with that crushing of Tallinder. Who said he wouldn't be able to hit the Sabres?

MathMan is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:00 PM
  #654
ohheyimmark
Registered User
 
ohheyimmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
I don't want to troll, but to say that Briere faked on that slash is kind of stupid to say. It looked like it hurt like hell and he couldn't hold his damn hand straight on the bench.

But I have to hand it to you guys, I've watched two full Habs games thus far (one live at our home opener and this game) and you guys have a dangerous team that could put a nice little winning streak together yourselves. It's gonna be a long season, and I'm gonna predict here you guys finish ahead of Ottawa this year.

Good game, and next time, tell Nnnnnma to keep his mouth shut

ohheyimmark is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:04 PM
  #655
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 21,257
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
GTFO NOOB
Yeah, I'm a noob, LOLZ ROFLBBQ!!!12one and everything else. Stop crying and get back to Counterstrike.

To the rest of the fans with class: your team is clearly good and it's a long season. That was great hockey!

Clock is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:06 PM
  #656
SarahCrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: St. Albert, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
thanks alot wonderful habs... you just handed over a really easy win to Buffalo. i wish Niinamaa woulda been right on his 'guarantee'...

SarahCrash is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
  #657
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew190 View Post
Yeah, I'm a noob, LOLZ ROFLBBQ!!!12one and everything else. Stop crying and get back to Counterstrike.

To the rest of the fans with class: your team is clearly good and it's a long season. That was great hockey!
The two Sabres-Habs games have been very entertaining. Hockey the way it was meant to be. Now, if only the good guys would win...

Turbo is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
  #658
lennywebster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew190 View Post
Yeah, I'm a noob, LOLZ ROFLBBQ!!!12one and everything else. Stop crying and get back to Counterstrike.

To the rest of the fans with class: your team is clearly good and it's a long season. That was great hockey!
pwned

lennywebster is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
  #659
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wouldn't go that far.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a very good team, possibly the class of the East right now, I just don't think they're a "special" team. As Briere himself said, they really shouldn't be 9-0. Think Ottawa last season, that's how good I think they are -- an excellent team, a threat for the President's Cup, but not a legendary team -- you have to decide whether that's "special" enough for you or not.

They are opportunistic as all get-out tho, something I wish the Habs could copy (fat chance). Otherwise... I do not see the vast separation in ability between the Sabres and the Habs, I really don't.

I think the Habs are actually very close to being on the same level, but something's missing. Something that makes a big difference, and I don't think it's in terms of players. Call it a combination of confidence and cohesion. I think the Habs could get there this season.
I'm in the cohort of those that suggest that the Sabres still haven't proven much yet, despite their 9-0 start. Sabres fans, please don't take that the wrong way. You guys have much to be proud about, and you will definitely be a contender this year, regardless of what happens in the next month. However, we must still remember that this is the first month. Teams haven't faced adversity at this point, and several teams in the past have had similar success at the start of the season, which really amounted to nothing in the end. In 93/94, the Leafs started the season 10-0-0, made it to the Conference Finals that year, only to bow out to the Canucks. Even last year, our club started the season on a torrid pace, while the Sabres were awful (I still remember the 10-4 pasting to the Sens), and look how things turned out.

I'm not suggesting for a second that the Sabres are not a quality team, because obviously they are, but in a time like this, it is important to maintain some perspective. I see that most people have, but sometimes people get a little too excited on October 23, when there is still 89% of the season left to be played.

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:08 PM
  #660
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21pro View Post
thanks alot wonderful habs... you just handed over a really easy win to Buffalo. i wish Niinamaa woulda been right on his 'guarantee'...
Speaking of fans with class...

Turbo is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:11 PM
  #661
SarahCrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: St. Albert, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Speaking of fans with class...
well- they did give Buffalo another notch in their belt, didn't they? this woulda been a HUGE win for the habs and by the way Buffalo played tonight, it woulda been possible.

SarahCrash is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
  #662
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wouldn't go that far.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a very good team, possibly the class of the East right now, I just don't think they're a "special" team. As Briere himself said, they really shouldn't be 9-0. Think Ottawa last season, that's how good I think they are -- an excellent team, a threat for the President's Cup, but not a legendary team -- you have to decide whether that's "special" enough for you or not.

They are opportunistic as all get-out tho, something I wish the Habs could copy (fat chance). Otherwise... I do not see the vast separation in ability between the Sabres and the Habs, I really don't.

I think the Habs are actually very close to being on the same level, but something's missing. Something that makes a big difference, and I don't think it's in terms of players. Call it a combination of confidence and cohesion. I think the Habs could get there this season.
Well, I would be an idiot if I proclaimed this edition of the Sabres to be legendary. But I think they're a cut above every EC team right now, as a continuation from last season. It's not like they've come out of nowhere. They were really, really, good last year in the second half, and you can't help but wonder whether they got cheated by losing their top 4 D in the Conference finals.

I totally agree with the underline. It's an almost-there, waiting-for-an-intangible.

Souffle is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
  #663
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll
 
flyingpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pay the troll toll
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I'm in the cohort of those that suggest that the Sabres still haven't proven much yet, despite their 9-0 start. Sabres fans, please don't take that the wrong way. You guys have much to be proud about, and you will definitely be a contender this year, regardless of what happens in the next month. However, we must still remember that this is the first month. Teams haven't faced adversity at this point, and several teams in the past have had similar success at the start of the season, which really amounted to nothing in the end. In 93/94, the Leafs started the season 10-0-0, made it to the Conference Finals that year, only to bow out to the Canucks. Even last year, our club started the season on a torrid pace, while the Sabres were awful (I still remember the 10-4 pasting to the Sens), and look how things turned out.

I'm not suggesting for a second that the Sabres are not a quality team, because obviously they are, but in a time like this, it is important to maintain some perspective. I see that most people have, but sometimes people get a little too excited on October 23, when there is still 89% of the season left to be played.
Sabres fan who agrees with you. Good start...lots more to play.

The thing that hurt your guys the most was the softie by Huet. Played well ratcheted up the pressure in the third. At least Briere didnt talk teh refs out of penalties tonight

flyingpig is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
  #664
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
I saw the game and I agree with some that say Samsonov was playing a good game, I dont understand why he was benched in the third, he was the best on his line... Im a huge Plekanec fan and I must say Ive been desapointed tonight... He will bounce back but he has to find some chimestry with his linemates..

I think the first goal has shaken our confidence.. Brutal softie that Huet should have stopped... We were playing extremmely well but the second goal simply killed us, bad unlucky turnover by Markov and perfect shot by Drury.. We started strong but after the second goal the energy and confidence quite went down... Bad second period, good third.. We faced the best team in the league and a simple little mistake can kill you against a such hockey machine... Im proud of our team in the whole, pretty good effort and nice try to get back in the game in the third..

I think the game would have been different if Huet hadnt let this softie in... One thing sure we can compete with the best team in the league, I just hope to have better goaltending next time and a bit more lucky rebounds..

Edit: Higgins stellar!!! By far our best player once again tonight! Koivu and Ryder played ok.

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
  #665
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,226
vCash: 500
In regards to tonight's game, I thought that Latendresse's physical play would re-energize the team and the crowd in the 3rd period (granted, I missed the second period, so I"m not too sure what happened during it).

Latendresse threw a couple of big hits just before Johnson's goal, and I thought that we would take the momentum and run with it. Lindy Ruff is a very astute coach though, and he completely sensed that and took the timeout.

I watched the first and the third periods tonight, and thought that we played fairly well. Higgins is an outstanding talent, and I'm extremely excited to see him with Koivu over a full season. It just seems to me that he has qualities in a winger that this team sorely lacked during the Zednik era. Watching Higgins play on the top line makes me realize how mediocre we were at times, 3-4 years ago.

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:17 PM
  #666
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21pro View Post
well- they did give Buffalo another notch in their belt, didn't they? this woulda been a HUGE win for the habs and by the way Buffalo played tonight, it woulda been possible.
Are you a Habs or Sabres fan? The way you wrote, my first reaction was you were a Sabres troll... if you're a Habs fan my apologies! In my defense, it's not apparent on your sig or avatar we've been inundated with all these taunting Sabres' fans tonight.

Anyway, I don't think Niinimaa's words had much to do with the outcome... it was one of those nights against a very talented team that will make you pay for any mistake.

Turbo is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:22 PM
  #667
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
The last 2 games imo have been Lats strongest and I hope he continues on this path. I wish he was given a slightly more offensive role but I don't think we have a spot for him to do that at the moment... I'd like if Carbs had the guts to bench Kovalev who decided not to play again tonight....

Shabutie is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
  #668
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I've seen a few of Dallas' game via center ice and Ribs is pretty much playing as he used to with more speed, only now he's getting the recognition for it. I'm convinced that this will be his most productive season.
Did we have not that new improved faster Ribeiro with the habs during training camp. A respectable second-line center on top of that.

I said it when it happened: BAD TRADE ! Streit is already better than Niinimaa.

As for Samsonov: GAINEY's WORST UFA SIGNING.

With Ribs and without Samsonov in the line-up, Perezhogin would play on a second line and Pleks on the third, where he belongs.


Last edited by habitue*: 10-23-2006 at 09:33 PM.
habitue* is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:26 PM
  #669
Darkseeker
Registered User
 
Darkseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Darkseeker Send a message via MSN to Darkseeker
Anybody that sais this years Sabres are the best team in NHL history needs to lay off the crack.

The 70's Canadiens, the 80's Islanders and Oilers would all mop the floor with this team. Back then there was alot more talent per team and these teams still dominated.

The Sabres aren't even CLOSE to these dynasties.

Darkseeker is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:28 PM
  #670
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
There's positives from that game tho. The Habs didn't give up, and were only truly outclassed in a panic stretch after Drury's goal. In the middle of last year, they would have collapsed long before.

And Latendresse is definitely getting there.

MathMan is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:30 PM
  #671
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
In regards to tonight's game, I thought that Latendresse's physical play would re-energize the team and the crowd in the 3rd period (granted, I missed the second period, so I"m not too sure what happened during it).

Latendresse threw a couple of big hits just before Johnson's goal, and I thought that we would take the momentum and run with it. Lindy Ruff is a very astute coach though, and he completely sensed that and took the timeout.

I watched the first and the third periods tonight, and thought that we played fairly well. Higgins is an outstanding talent, and I'm extremely excited to see him with Koivu over a full season. It just seems to me that he has qualities in a winger that this team sorely lacked during the Zednik era. Watching Higgins play on the top line makes me realize how mediocre we were at times, 3-4 years ago.
Higgins is explosive and is not afraid to go right to the net. He creates scoring chances and can finish. Zednik was never the same after the McLaren hit.

LesHabsRock is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:31 PM
  #672
DieHardHabs
Registered User
 
DieHardHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
The last 2 games imo have been Lats strongest and I hope he continues on this path. I wish he was given a slightly more offensive role but I don't think we have a spot for him to do that at the moment... I'd like if Carbs had the guts to bench Kovalev who decided not to play again tonight....
i thought kovalev played okay tonite... not the best in the first couple periods...but i found in the third he made up for it! he was playing agressive... a lil too agressive at times..and when he plays like that he tends to get some penalties but at least he looked like he was trying out there, member he doesnt like to lose ...and i think he did some good things, battles along the boards, great speed cutting to the net ect..

DieHardHabs is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:35 PM
  #673
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I saw the game and I agree with some that say Samsonov was playing a good game, I dont understand why he was benched in the third, he was the best on his line... Im a huge Plekanec fan and I must say Ive been desapointed tonight... He will bounce back but he has to find some chimestry with his linemates..

I think the first goal has shaken our confidence.. Brutal softie that Huet should have stopped... We were playing extremmely well but the second goal simply killed us, bad unlucky turnover by Markov and perfect shot by Drury.. We started strong but after the second goal the energy and confidence quite went down... Bad second period, good third.. We faced the best team in the league and a simple little mistake can kill you against a such hockey machine... Im proud of our team in the whole, pretty good effort and nice try to get back in the game in the third..

I think the game would have been different if Huet hadnt let this softie in... One thing sure we can compete with the best team in the league, I just hope to have better goaltending next time and a bit more lucky rebounds..

Edit: Higgins stellar!!! By far our best player once again tonight! Koivu and Ryder played ok.

I watched Plekanec do nothing good again tonight and thought about your summer predictions.. this guy's place is on the third line, at this point I'd even try Grabovsky instaed of him on the second line, and I'm not a Grabovsky fan.

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:36 PM
  #674
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseeker View Post
Anybody that sais this years Sabres are the best team in NHL history needs to lay off the crack.

The 70's Canadiens, the 80's Islanders and Oilers would all mop the floor with this team. Back then there was alot more talent per team and these teams still dominated.

The Sabres aren't even CLOSE to these dynasties.
Who has said that? Because that is honestly funny as hell if people are actually saying that.

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
10-23-2006, 09:39 PM
  #675
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
GTFO NOOB
Not to be an *******, but didn't you say you'd leave HFboards forever if we lost tonight?

Habsfan18 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.