HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something I would not like to see all year..

Old
10-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Something I would not like to see all year..

.. Sheldon Souray acting like he's the only player on the ice on PP. He used his shot way too much, sometimes you feel like players dont want to pass the puck back to the point because they know Souray will blast one again instead of moving the puck to create good chances for the forwards.

anyone feels the same way?

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Mike8

I thought Souray was moving the puck more as the Sabres were clogging up his shooting lane.

I did think that the major adjustment that needed to be made tonight that was seemingly never addressed was that the Sabre forwards continued pressuring the point and clogging the shooting lane, yet Montreal defensemen insisted on shooting anyway, for the most part.

Further, Montreal forwards kept putting the puck back to the point when the Sabre forwards were already playing it high.

This game would've been a good time for Samsonov, Kovalev, and Ryder to start walking off the sideboards into the high-slot, either to get a good scoring chance or to dish the puck back to the point after drawing the Sabre wingers towards them.

Either way, the adjustment was never made, no changes were made to the offensive game-plan to exploit the gap between Sabre wingers and their defenseman/center who collapse around the crease...

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I thought Souray was moving the puck more as the Sabres were clogging up his shooting lane.

I did think that the major adjustment that needed to be made tonight that was seemingly never addressed was that the Sabre forwards continued pressuring the point and clogging the shooting lane, yet Montreal defensemen insisted on shooting anyway, for the most part.

Further, Montreal forwards kept putting the puck back to the point when the Sabre forwards were already playing it high.

This game would've been a good time for Samsonov, Kovalev, and Ryder to start walking off the sideboards into the high-slot, either to get a good scoring chance or to dish the puck back to the point after drawing the Sabre wingers towards them.

Either way, the adjustment was never made, no changes were made to the offensive game-plan to exploit the gap between Sabre wingers and their defenseman/center who collapse around the crease...
Couldn't say better.

Old
10-23-2006, 10:42 PM
LesHabsRock

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=303959

Show your support please. The Habs need you. I'm in a Rah! Rah! Rah! kinda mood.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=303959

Show your support please. The Habs need you. I'm in a Rah! Rah! Rah! kinda mood.
God...thread spamming LOL
Give it a rest man.
It's only a game.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Shabutie

I'd rather Souray shoot the puck than Kovalev waste 40 seconds of pp time just dangling and giving it away.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:51 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

I honestly don't agree with you. He was obviously frusturated out there tonight. He was hungry and felt he had to take it into his own hands. It happens. No worries.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:24 PM
marvelousmotion

What are you talking about ?! He has one of the best slapshots in the league, if not, the best. You're only hating because he did not score tonight, your comment about how he used it too much is totally false. Anyways, if it wasn't for his shot from the point on the PP, our powerplay would be horrible. He alone accounts for half of all of our PP goals so far this season. If you want to blame players, pick the right ones.

Quote:
^ Real talk.

Our forwards need to do more and be a lot more creative on the PP. They are not dangerous at all without Souray's shot from the point. Buffalo noticed that.. they just kept pressuring the point and they killed our powerplays easily.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Squeaky

Sheldon Souray is currently leading the league in powerplay points, tied with Hossa at 8. Whatever Souray has been doing this year, I want him to do more of it, not less.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetc...Name=ppScoring

Actually, I bet they didn't update the stats after tonight, so Souray might not be in the lead anymore, but I think I made my point.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:39 PM
znk

I thought he didnt shoot enough today. A few times instead of onetiming the puck he looked up and it gave time for the other team to block the shooting lane. To bad his shot hit the horizontal bar just before the Sabres scored shorthanded.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1 View Post
What are you talking about ?! He has one of the best slapshots in the league, if not, the best. You're only hating because he did not score tonight, your comment about how he used it too much is totally false. Anyways, if it wasn't for his shot from the point on the PP, our powerplay would be horrible. He alone accounts for half of all of our PP goals so far this season. If you want to blame players, pick the right ones.

^ Real talk.

Our forwards need to do more and be a lot more creative on the PP. They are not dangerous at all without Souray's shot from the point. Buffalo noticed that.. they just kept pressuring the point and they killed our powerplays easily.
Have I ever said that he was bad on the PP or anything? Said he used his shot too much, and didn't use his teamates enough. Souray's a big part of our PP, specially when his game isin't predictible (or well countred) like it was tonight.

As for pressuring the point because Souray is the only threat.. hum, I think what Mike8 implyed was that the PP strategy should have been modified because of Buffalo's effectivness in clogging the shoting lane and in pressuring the point... thus, the puck should have been played deeper in the zone in order to create chances in the slot or to free the players on the point.

Old
10-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Sheldon Souray is currently leading the league in powerplay points, tied with Hossa at 8. Whatever Souray has been doing this year, I want him to do more of it, not less.

Actually, I bet they didn't update the stats after tonight, so Souray might not be in the lead anymore, but I think I made my point.
Souray could have helped the PP by always having a man on him, giving more space for the 4 other guys.. that would have been more usefull than blocked shots.

Old
10-24-2006, 12:02 AM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
the puck should have been played deeper in the zone in order to create chances in the slot or to free the players on the point.
That's why our forwards are not very dangerous.. So far, we are lacking creativity deep down the zone, there is not enough puck movements and exchanges between our forwards. They are always passing the puck back to the point.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:03 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post

lol exactly

People here are so blind. Yes this game he didn't get a lot done because Buffalo is a great team. But if you tell Souray pass more, when he gets a good opurtunity you want him to pass in those times? Let him play his game, to critisize him when he is the best player or tied for, in the nhl on the PP, I think he should keep doing what he is doing, if only after ONE GAME, it didn't work

Damn fans here over blow one game against a really good oponent.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
lol exactly

People here are so blind. Yes this game he didn't get a lot done because Buffalo is a great team. But if you tell Souray pass more, when he gets a good opurtunity you want him to pass in those times? Let him play his game, to critisize him when he is the best player or tied for, in the nhl on the PP, I think he should keep doing what he is doing, if only after ONE GAME, it didn't work

Damn fans here over blow one game against a really good oponent.
brrrrrrrrrrrrr... this is getting frustrating.

I'm watching the last 2 minutes of the game... one great chance; Markov to Kovy nice shot with Koivu to blind Miller (Kovy is free because Drudry is on Souray).. 5 seconds later Souray gets the puck Drurdy is still on his back, he has no space at all shoots the puck wide.. 10 seconds later Souray has the puck has at least two Habs wide open, shoots the puck through sticks, deflection.. wide...

This is what I mean... you're 6 vs 4, do not shoot unless you can take a good one.

Old
10-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
.. Sheldon Souray acting like he's the only player on the ice on PP. He used his shot way too much, sometimes you feel like players dont want to pass the puck back to the point because they know Souray will blast one again instead of moving the puck to create good chances for the forwards.

If shekldon has a shooting lane, thats what he should do... shoot the damn puck

thats why he is on the PP... and if the teams let him shoot, he will make you pay.

If he shoots when the shooting lanes are blocked, then thats a different story. There's no way anybody can complain about sheldon's success on the PP sor far

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:29 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:

I'm watching the last 2 minutes of the game... one great chance; Markov to Kovy nice shot with Koivu to blind Miller (Kovy is free because Drudry is on Souray).. 5 seconds later Souray gets the puck Drurdy is still on his back, he has no space at all shoots the puck wide.. 10 seconds later Souray has the puck has at least two Habs wide open, shoots the puck through sticks, deflection.. wide...

This is what I mean... you're 6 vs 4, do not shoot unless you can take a good one.
In 2 weeks, I will see a post by you "why doesn't Souray shoot more"

typical

Old
10-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
In 2 weeks, I will see a post by you "why doesn't Souray shoot more"

typical
random comment.

Old
10-24-2006, 01:17 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
random comment.
the guy is a shooter, you seem to play hockey since your avatar is a city team. If you have a great shot and your passing skills are marginal what do you think he wants to do? You can critisize him all you want, but in the end he will probably shoot a whole lot more, because he has a great shot.

Old
10-24-2006, 01:25 AM
White Snake*

Quote:

This is the stupidest comment I have heard all year. Be ashamed of yourself. Obviously you are a souray hater and should be made a fool of. If anything it is the other players looking to set him up. There were a few times Souray was not even open and Markov tried to set him up for one even thought Souray was not positioned. Souray will shot when given the chance to do so be if anything the coaches know of his power that hey are the ones trying to make it happen and why not. He is a lethal weapon(player of the week) and should be used. Also other teams know of this and are trying to mark him accordingly. Souray made a great pass to koivu on Sat to set up Ryder's goal.

IF you are a Souray hater out there and still dont know how much he contributes to this team then smack yourself. ITs probably fans like you that chased Turgoen out of town and I spit on you.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:33 AM
White Snake*

Hey Slick Nick;

You are starting to piss me off. Smarten up fool. Are you a leafs fan or something because if I was a leafs fan the first player I would attack would be SOuray. Not because he is bad but because he scares th crap outta opponents. Miller was stunned after he blasted one off the crossbar.

Also SOuray was excellent in his own zone tonight. Everyone lets make a big deal out of it because the next tiem Souray makes a mistake tha haters will talk about it for months. Markov cost us a goal tonight but I dont hear everyone whinning about it.

And from now on anyone critizing Souray will have to speak to me!!!!!! ITs about time someone with common sense steps up to the plate.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:40 AM
Kirk Muller*

Slick Nick is just jealous that Markov doesn't have 5 PP goals like Souray.

But seriously, he's right that Souray didn't have a great PP game. However, that's because he didn't get good shots on net and because he shot a couple wide, not because he didn't try to pass it.

Souray is not good with the puck. He fumbles around with it, makes awkward passes, and if god forbid he loses it, then it's over, the PK man is on a breakaway and Sheldon might as well head back to the bench because we all know he won't catch up. The last thing we need is for Souray to start being fancy and trying to pass to Koivu.

Souray has basically one weapon and his teammates need to use him better to get more one-timers. In order to get a one-timer, you need a slow pass straight to your shooting side. There have been too many wasted opportunities where players pass it to his other side or too quickly. 4 of his 5 goals have come off one-timers. If his teammates can get it to him more effectively, he could score 25.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Squeaky

Quote:

Uh....point shots on the PP are desgined to get a deflection. That's the whole point. It can deflect in (making it a muuuuuuuch harder save) or give up a juicy rebound. That's why we want traffic in front. For a guy like Souray, even being able to see the net is not necessary. All he needs to do is get his slapper off headed on-goal, shoot it hard and keep it fairly low.

Earlier in the thread you said "Souray could have helped the PP by always having a man on him, giving more space for the 4 other guys" So you basically blamed him for not being covered? No D is always covered on the PP, that's really not how a penalty-kill works. PK units tend to shy away from man to man coverage, or shadowing a certain player, because they're shorthanded.

Are you sure you don't just have some bias against Souray? I have to admit, that's the impression I've been getting so far.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post

Couldn't agree more. I mentioned this to my bro while watching the game.

The Sabres knew that to try and shut down Montreal's hot PP, they needed to focus on Souray, much like teams do against McCabe in Toronto. They did this by keeping a forward high in the zone. The way Montreal shouldof responded, is by creating the chances down low. On a team with playmakers like Kovalev, Samsonov and Koivu, this shouldn't of been a problem. Would of been a great time for Kovy to use his fake pass, step between the circles and let one fly move that he does so well.....or to clog the front of the net and have Saku come out of the corner and put one on net...or to have Markov pinch in from the other point to create a big time man advantage on the one side or the rink...or...

In Souray's defence mind you, I remember hearing that Carbo told Souray he wanted him shooting the puck more on the PP, so I don't think Souray was being selfish by shooting, I think he was just following orders. I would imagine the others were alos following Carbo's orders, by trying to make plays that freed up Souray for a shot.

Finally, credit should be given to the Sabres penalty killers who looked like they were two leagues above the PK'ers we faced when playing Colorado.

10-24-2006, 10:34 AM
oop007*

Quote:

I was at the game last night. When Sheldon wasted a couple of attempts trying, he quickly stopped doing it. I actually watched him thinking "DON'T SHOOT! They block everything!" and he didn't most of the time. Markov actually did it more then Souray I'm pretty sure.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote