HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Is Tuomo Ruutu available?

Old
07-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Zhamnov10

vCash: 500
Is Tuomo Ruutu available?

Jets fan here,I was just wondering if Tuomo Ruutu may be available you guys say you need help on d we have some extra guys this year that are no longer waiver exempt.Ruutu's contract seems a little high only because he is so injury prone i was just wondering if a trade around him and Mark Stuart may work for both teams?

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I would think he's very much available for the right offer.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Zhamnov10

Any idea at what is value may be? I would think it maybe a little down with big long contract and the fact that he is injury prone but I have not seen enough of him to know exactly what he is worth to you guys.maybe Mark Stuart and Patrice Cormier would be enough giving you some toughness both on D and at Forward and some cap relief.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Zhamnov10

I just read he has a no trade clause so probably no chance I moves for 2 more years

Old
07-03-2013, 10:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I forgot about the NTC. That would make any trade difficult.

In theory, I think a trade around Stuart and Ruutu would be pretty solid.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
TheBigKahuna

That NTC was one of two, that JR handed out, that are coming back now to bite him in the ass....Ruutu and Gleason both have them, and are both overpaid.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Francis10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
Any idea at what is value may be? I would think it maybe a little down with big long contract and the fact that he is injury prone but I have not seen enough of him to know exactly what he is worth to you guys.maybe Mark Stuart and Patrice Cormier would be enough giving you some toughness both on D and at Forward and some cap relief.
I would take that trade for Cormier and Stuart in a second. Stupid NTC.

Francis10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
sheriff bart

My issue with the NTC's that JR has given out is that when you are paying full value (the player not giving a home team discount), why is the NTC warranted? I'd have to think that Ruutu and Gleason are getting full dollar on their deals. If I'm the player, I'm asking for the NTC so I can control where I go, but JR doesn't have to give them away like candy. It is a bargaining chip that should be used to get player to sign for less, not full value.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Discipline Daddy
NHL All star Aucoin

The trade of Mark Stuart for Tuomo Ruutu is great value for the Canes. I love having Cormier added too - it'd be nice to get a potential NHL forward to replace his body, fully understanding we wouldn't get back a player of Ruutu's caliber today. I'd be willing to throw another piece to the Jets as well - perhaps a young forward like Boychuk (probably no value there), Brett Sutter, or Welsh or perhaps a young defenseman like Bellemore.

This would shore up our D nicely from what it seems, though I must be honest and say that I don't know Mark Stuart as a player very well.

Discipline Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
bleedgreen

i think if ruutu went to market this year hed probably make about what we are paying him, believe it or not. still overpaid of course. not sure about gleason, he wouldnt deserve it but with everyone needing d so bad hed probably make the same as well.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:32 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline Daddy View Post
This would shore up our D nicely from what it seems, though I must be honest and say that I don't know Mark Stuart as a player very well.
Stuart is not all that different from Gleason or Bryan Allen. No offense, but he takes care of the dirty work in his own end. Ideal bottom-pair guy who could stretch to the top 4 if called upon.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:20 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i think if ruutu went to market this year hed probably make about what we are paying him, believe it or not. still overpaid of course. not sure about gleason, he wouldnt deserve it but with everyone needing d so bad hed probably make the same as well.
I know you're the king of the rationalizers, but so what? If 29 other teams are willing to overpay a guy, does that make it a smart decision if *we* overpay him? I don't care if they'd make that on an open market. That doesn't make it a good deal. We could get a below market deal (see Jokinen, Jussi) and it's still a bad deal. It all comes down to the player. It's hard to pay the right player too much, and it's hard to pay the wrong player too little. (To paraphrase one of my heroes, Roger Ebert, who said "no good movie is too long, and no bad movie is too short." Brilliant.)

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:36 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 50
if healthy and raring to go ruutu may be a good forward for the canes yet. although his contract is high i wonder how much of an improvement jr would bring in that would be a considerably lower cap hit. i guess we'll see how ruutu does this season. i wonder if in the event that they wanted to move him if he would wave the ntc for the right deal.

rocky7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Kev, when Ruutu signed that deal, our top 6 forwards were:

--Eric Staal
--A 19 year old, recently concussed Jeff Skinner
--A declining Jussi Jokinen
--Tuomo Ruutu

I'm sure if JR knew that Tlusty would magically turn into a 1st liner, that Jordan Staal would literally force his way onto our team, that we would draft the next Nick Backstrom (the center) and that we would pick up Alex Semin in free agency, we would not have signed Ruutu.

But you can't look at that "core of talent", circa 2012, and tell me we should have let Ruutu walk.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Kev, when Ruutu signed that deal, our top 6 forwards were:

--Eric Staal
--A 19 year old, recently concussed Jeff Skinner
--A declining Jussi Jokinen
--Tuomo Ruutu

I'm sure if JR knew that Tlusty would magically turn into a 1st liner, that Jordan Staal would literally force his way onto our team, that we would draft the next Nick Backstrom (the center) and that we would pick up Alex Semin in free agency, we would not have signed Ruutu.

But you can't look at that "core of talent", circa 2012, and tell me we should have let Ruutu walk.
Especially after just watching Erik Cole walk and be a star (for a year) in Montreal.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:14 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I believe both of these NTC kick out in the final year of their deal so we will be able to deal the expiring contract. Seems like JR did learn something from previous mistakes despite the constant irrational blasting on these board. The dude has offered up plenty of things to hammer on but I'm not surer either of these deals qualify. They were market rate deals and he gave them security during the early years to keep them off the market... But he still maintained the right to deal them as rentals. Sounds like how most deals are done in the real world, both sides getting a piece they wanted.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:35 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Especially after just watching Erik Cole walk and be a star (for a year) in Montreal.
But he's still a Star....for now.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:35 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Sure he can. Remember, the draft? JR should have known that Seth Jones was going to drop to 4th so he could have traded up as soon as he lost the lottery.

Gleason's NTC expires after this season (July 1st, 2014 probably) but Ruutu's looks like it's for the whole contract.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:55 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
That line of reasoning would make sense if Ruutu was some dominant first line player whose absence alone would have plunged the top six into darkness. All that signing Ruutu did was ensure that we had a slightly less terrible top six. That isn't worth 4.75M/yr for four years with a NTC. I'm sure he could have gotten that on the open market, but that isn't a good reason to sign him. If Ruutu is your third best forward then you aren't going to be winning a lot of hockey games, so signing Ruutu to a bloated contract based on the reasoning that he's your third best forward is only going to restrict your ability to acquire/retain better players in the future. That money could be much better spent on raises for Tlusty and Faulk, or on a top 4 defenseman, but instead we're paying a premium price for below average 2nd line winger for the next three years.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

IIRC when Ruutu was signed, Tlusty looked like he may not even be qualified, let alone due a raise. Faulk was in the midst of his rookie season and no one knew he was going to be this good this quickly. If don't sign Ruutu then you need to replace him in the top 6 and you're probably not doing that for much cheaper than he signed for, if at all. Isn't that the offseason where Leino signed for a crazy amount? Complain all you want about the NTC, but I don't think simply not signing Ruutu was an option.

EDIT: I'm mixing up my offseasons with Tlusty, but you get the point. Who knew he'd break out like this?

Last edited by What the Faulk: 07-04-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old
07-04-2013, 09:46 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I know you're the king of the rationalizers, but so what? If 29 other teams are willing to overpay a guy, does that make it a smart decision if *we* overpay him? I don't care if they'd make that on an open market. That doesn't make it a good deal. We could get a below market deal (see Jokinen, Jussi) and it's still a bad deal. It all comes down to the player. It's hard to pay the right player too much, and it's hard to pay the wrong player too little. (To paraphrase one of my heroes, Roger Ebert, who said "no good movie is too long, and no bad movie is too short." Brilliant.)
I don't think they're good deals either. I would've traded them both at the deadline, I know you're the king of d nozzles lately, but so what? I was just noting how these deals have become market prices.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:51 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Gleason's NTC expires after this season (July 1st, 2014 probably) but Ruutu's looks like it's for the whole contract.
Correcting the Ruutu bit, Capgeek just lists it as "NMC" which I assumed meant it was for the entire length of the contract, but after digging a bit it is for only the first 3 years. So he would be able to be traded July 1, 2015.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Chan790

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Correcting the Ruutu bit, Capgeek just lists it as "NMC" which I assumed meant it was for the entire length of the contract, but after digging a bit it is for only the first 3 years. So he would be able to be traded July 1, 2015.
If it meant the opportunity to play in the top-6 elsewhere versus primarily a situational and 3rd-line role in Carolina I'd be surprised if he wouldn't waive his NMC. He's got to know at this point that he's probably not in the team's medium-or-long-term plans playing on the top 2 lines.

Chan790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:22 PM
snakepliskin

ruutu is going to be a big part of our impending cupp run!

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Jussijuice

If the Canes could trade Ruutu for a pick, prospect, or cheap young D I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Would have to be soon though so the Canes could capitalize on this FA market. I see lots of extremely cheap 1-2 year deals as players wait for the Cap to go up.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote