HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darroll Powe, Arron Asham (7/5: Both Clear)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2013, 03:09 PM
  #76
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Playing a line of 25-26 year olds, is not nearly the same thing as a line of 20 year olds. So no. It's not the same thing at all.

But either way, how can Miller prove he is a good player in the NHL when he doesn't get to play because everyone wants a 33 year old goon to play instead of him?

Chicago will run with young guys and there players develop faster, no doubt about it
That line was a culmination of development. None of those players were rookies. Admit it, you don't really get this.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:10 PM
  #77
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
asham never did what he was brought into do.. he barely fought.. i think haley will be a regular player with asham soon to be gone..

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:11 PM
  #78
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Exactly. There is nothing inherently better about a 20 year old rookie than a 22 year old rookie.

We have a good crop of young forwards on the cusp right now. Chicago's were ready last year. Next year, Chicago won't have them and we will. Does that mean that our system is automatically better? Ridiculous thought.
What?

Miller and Kreider are the same age as the guys Chicago is playing. So your point is irrelevant.

Chicago is playing their young guys because they need to.

Rangers aren't playing their young guys because they would prefer 33 year old goons who score 2 goals a season

And they have this irrational fear of injecting any sort of youth into the bottom 6. Look at the bottom 6s they have had in recent years.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:12 PM
  #79
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
That line was a culmination of development. None of those players were rookies. Admit it, you don't really get this.
That's exactly my point, none of them were rookies.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:18 PM
  #80
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
What?

Miller and Kreider are the same age as the guys Chicago is playing. So your point is irrelevant.

Chicago is playing their young guys because they need to.

Rangers aren't playing their young guys because they would prefer 33 year old goons who score 2 goals a season
Age doesn't determine whether or not a player is ready. Again, just a ridiculous idea.

Miller played most of last season higher on the depth chart than any goon. All he really did was prove he wasnt ready, so I have no idea what you're talking about regarding goons. At this point, you're just trolling, I guess.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:18 PM
  #81
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
That's exactly my point, none of them were rookies.
Kruger wasn't a rookie

Anyway, how often do you see a team throw out that many youngsters on one line? It's gotta be a lot easier for them with Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp in front of them.

Dubisnky, Anisimov and Callahan had in front of them Gaborik. Christensen? Prospal? The load was significantly heavier.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:19 PM
  #82
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Age doesn't determine whether or not a player is ready. Again, just a ridiculous idea.

Miller played most of last season higher on the depth chart than any goon. All he really did was prove he wasnt ready, so I have no idea what you're talking about regarding goons. At this point, you're just trolling, I guess.
Like I said, an irrational fear to play any sort of youth in the bottom 6.

Either they are ready for top 6 or they don't play. Only 28+ year old players are allowed in the bottom 6

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:21 PM
  #83
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Like I said, an irrational fear to play any sort of youth in the bottom 6.

Either they are ready for top 6 or they don't play. Only 28+ year old players are allowed in the bottom 6
Huh?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:21 PM
  #84
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Kruger wasn't a rookie

Anyway, how often do you see a team throw out that many youngsters on one line? It's gotta be a lot easier for them with Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp.

Dubisnky, Anisimov and Callahan had in front of them Gaborik. Christensen? Prospal? The load was significantly heavier.
I'm not asking for all of them. But would one or two rookies in the bottom 6 kill them?

Do we have to go through another season with Rupps, and Powe's, and Ashams?

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:21 PM
  #85
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Huh?
Who was the youngest player in the bottom 6 last year? How about the year before?

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:22 PM
  #86
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I'm not asking for all of them. But would one or two rookies in the bottom 6 kill them?

Do we have to go through another season with Rupps, and Powe's, and Ashams?
I don't mind them playing in the bottom 6... As long as it's not fourth line minutes. If they played 10-13 minutes a night, I'm fine with that.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:22 PM
  #87
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Like I said, an irrational fear to play any sort of youth in the bottom 6.

Either they are ready for top 6 or they don't play. Only 28+ year old players are allowed in the bottom 6
Miller played in the bottom-6 for his entire NHL stint. So did Hagelin until he earned a higher spot. So did Callahan when he broke with the team. Your own version of history doesn't really fly when you're talking to people who know better.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:23 PM
  #88
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Who was the youngest player in the bottom 6 last year? How about the year before?
I see your point, but who was ready to play at the NHL level night in and night out?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:25 PM
  #89
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Who was the youngest player in the bottom 6 last year? How about the year before?
JT Miller and Chris Kreider.

We all know how that turned out.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:26 PM
  #90
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Miller played in the bottom-6 for his entire NHL stint. So did Hagelin until he earned a higher spot. So did Callahan when he broke with the team. Your own version of history doesn't really fly when you're talking to people who know better.
Then he got sent down and replaced by a 28 year old Powe who they just waived because he was terrible.

They have a total fear of playing young players in the bottom 6. Let them make their mistakes, let them learn.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:30 PM
  #91
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
JT Miller and Chris Kreider.

We all know how that turned out.
Yep. They didn't play enough. Then got sent down so we got to enjoy Powe's goal scoring.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:31 PM
  #92
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Yep. They didn't play enough. Then got sent down so we got to enjoy Powe's goal scoring.
I don't think either were that much better than Powe TBH. It was much more logical to have them develop in the AHL with ice time than struggle in the NHL with no ice time.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:31 PM
  #93
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Then he got sent down and replaced by a 28 year old Powe who they just waived because he was terrible.

They have a total fear of playing young players in the bottom 6. Let them make their mistakes, let them learn.
Because Powe is better at that role than Miller. Miller can play big minutes and iron out some of the wrinkles in his game down at Hartford instead of having to do so in the NHL - which can slow down his growth. I'm not saying he's not going to need to learn at the NHL level. There'll be bumps in the road, but that's just the way things go. Don't rush a player because there's players his age that can play at the NHL level on a regular basis. Every single player is different.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:32 PM
  #94
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Who was the youngest player in the bottom 6 last year? How about the year before?
Well, I guess Zuccarello, Brassard, Hagelin, Miller and Kreider all played games on our 3rd line. Mashinter and Ferriero played a couple of games on our 3rd and 4th line. Anisimov and Dubinsky also played 3rd line minutes for most of their early career.

I think it's a misconception to think only goons and older guys are allowed to play on the 3rd and 4th line with the Rangers. However, I do agree our prospects take a bit longer compared to other teams prospects to make a name for themselves. Is that really an issue? I don't think so. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we are missing a real generational talent among our forwards, or a top-C, top-W. We have Nash, Richards, Stepan, Callahan, Hagelin, Zuccarello, Brassard... All good guys, but not of the level Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, Crosby, Malkin or a great young prospect like Landeskog, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Seguin, RNH.

Maybe that puts a bit more pressure on our 3rd line to produce. When you have a top-line of Hossa, Toews and Kane, it's easier to fit in on the 3rd line because there's less pressure, but I don't think it's really an issue. Players need to be ready, and when they are, they will show it. Hagelin is the most recent example of that

__________________
There are two types of people in this world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data;
Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:34 PM
  #95
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
So the consensus is that the rangers top 6 is so bad they can't really play guys who make mistakes in the bottom 6

Instead we have to play Asham, Rupp, Powe, Haley, whoever else.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:42 PM
  #96
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
So the consensus is that the rangers top 6 is so bad they can't really play guys who make mistakes in the bottom 6

Instead we have to play Asham, Rupp, Powe, Haley, whoever else.
Maybe we have less top talent which results in more pressure on the 3rd line. Maybe that's why guys like JT Miller struggle. It could very well be the case that he would do better on the Chicago 3rd line, but it's no excuse. Hagelin started on the 3rd line and was so electrifying that he became a regular. That's what JT Miller should do. Play like an NHL forward. Show the coach he has no reason to send you down. When he does, he will be in the Rangers team all season. A guy can play like Gretzky in the NCAA or AHL, but struggle at NHL level. That's because the game as a whole is completely different. It takes more than just skills and talent alone. I feel JT Miller looked a bit lazy at times. Not saying he is, but he needs to be more active.

The way Miller played (after his 2 good games) was worse than Asham. I still think it was stupid to burn a year of his ELC. They should have sent him down after 5 games.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:44 PM
  #97
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,553
vCash: 500
so Asham will get picked up on waivers by CLB then sign as a UFA in WSH. just so he can play on every team in the division

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:50 PM
  #98
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post

The way Miller played (after his 2 good games) was worse than Asham. I still think it was stupid to burn a year of his ELC. They should have sent him down after 5 games.
Didn't Miller also hurt his wrist which ultimately ended his season? Maybe that's why he got sent back down. I don't remember when he got hurt

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:00 PM
  #99
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Thought Asham was fine. But don't mind that spot going to Haley.

Good riddance to Powe.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  #100
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Thought Asham was fine. But don't mind that spot going to Haley.

Good riddance to Powe.
agree. I wont mind if Asham is back but Powe is useless.. rather see Lindberg Miller or someone else take his spot..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.