HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Visor Debate '04

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 05:27 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

vCash: 500
I can't believe that we're having a debate over their effectiveness. If there is some shortcoming in the design, fine, let the league promote research on an improved design, but personally, I haven't heard of visors cracking. These things are designed to stop pucks (I personally have worn one which stopped a slapshot aimed right at my face.), and as you may know, kinetic energy is a function of the square of velocity, so I don't see a player, moving at 1/5 the speed of a slapshot, breaking one. Besides, even if by some freak event, one of them cracked, this still does not change the argument, because on average, statistically speaking, players will always be safer with than without facial protection.

While it may be true that only a small percentage of players have career ending or diminishing injuries, then if all of you can live with this small percentage, fine: let 'em do what they want. But if some of you actually prefer to see the best players in the world continue to play, all of them, then I say the league should mandate some protection.

Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 01-07-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old
01-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Steve L*

I just read that Roenick will not wear a visor even after being knocked out by a puck and nearly losing and eye, thats the mentality I find hard to understand.

When Justin Williams broke into the team he took off his visor, Clarke saw him without one and was told to put it back on. While I dont like Clarke its good to see an old school player coming out and saying players should wear them and they should be manditory. It really surprises me coming from Bobboy as I would have thought hed think players are being soft for wearing a visor.

On the other hand Cherry was talking about a young Canadian player and he said he hoped he didnt wear a visor when he broke into the NHL which is stupid, just stupid.

Old
01-08-2004, 10:25 PM
ShyCheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I just read that Roenick will not wear a visor even after being knocked out by a puck and nearly losing and eye, thats the mentality I find hard to understand.
I remember Brian Burrard saying the same thing right after his accedent. And then it actually looked like he'd never play again...now look who's wearing one? I think it's a macho thing. Does anyone actually think that a pro football or lacross player is less brave/strong/fearless because they cover their faces? absolutely not. yet in hockey culture missing teeth and missing eyes are preferable to looking like a pansey to other players. Stupid. Shy.

Closed Thread