HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2013, 08:00 PM
  #426
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,160
vCash: 500
At the Riverhounds game.

td_ice is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 08:42 PM
  #427
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 65,706
vCash: 2563
How is the new stadium?

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:06 PM
  #428
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,160
vCash: 500
Very nice. Awesome setup right along the river, and the city view in front of you as you watch the action. Nice jumbotron showing the play if you need to view it. I like it. Will definitely attend again.

Edit: and I had a Paul Child sighting,so that was cool.

EDIT2: USL games are shown online....uslnation.com


Last edited by td_ice: 07-05-2013 at 12:05 AM.
td_ice is online now  
Old
07-05-2013, 04:49 AM
  #429
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 500
Nice! I remember Stan Terlecki in early days of Spirit franchise. He was dominating in the league.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:56 AM
  #430
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Nice! I remember Stan Terlecki in early days of Spirit franchise. He was dominating in the league.
Terlecki was a boss.

td_ice is online now  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:03 AM
  #431
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Very nice. Awesome setup right along the river, and the city view in front of you as you watch the action. Nice jumbotron showing the play if you need to view it. I like it. Will definitely attend again.

Edit: and I had a Paul Child sighting,so that was cool.

EDIT2: USL games are shown online....uslnation.com
Nice. He taught a soccer clinic that I went to circa 1988 (or abouts). Good to hear that he is still around and active.

UnrealMachine is online now  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:11 PM
  #432
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Nice. He taught a soccer clinic that I went to circa 1988 (or abouts). Good to hear that he is still around and active.
Ahhh....very cool.

td_ice is online now  
Old
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
  #433
Penguins23
Le Magnifique
 
Penguins23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton,NewBrunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,156
vCash: 50
Speaking of soccer in Pittsburgh, do you think MLS will work if they come to town?

__________________
.
Penguins23 is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 06:02 PM
  #434
Bennett Brauer
Registered User
 
Bennett Brauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
Speaking of soccer in Pittsburgh, do you think MLS will work if they come to town?
I don't think so, I mean there are people in Pittsburgh who like Soccer, but I don't think there's enough to support an MLS team. However I think an NBA team would work here.

Bennett Brauer is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 06:04 PM
  #435
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 65,706
vCash: 2563
The MLS would be an abject failure in Pittsburgh. The yinzers refuse to try new things and the sport just has too far to grow with the rest of the population as it stands.


That and the MLS requires soccer-specific stadiums for new teams...that new stadium isn't expandable to the ~15,000 or so seats that would be required. That's a bigger issue than the fan base right now...hopefully getting an actual soccer stadium will help grow the sport in the region.


And the NBA would be an even worse disaster, but at least the arena is there.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 12:05 AM
  #436
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
Has to suck being a Browns fan.

Quote:
Scott E. Entsminger, 55, of Mansfield, Ohio, died on July 4 at his home. In his obituary in the Columbus Dispatch, Entsminger, a lifelong Browns fan, requested "six Cleveland Browns pallbearers so the Browns can let him down one last time."
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...l-team-giving/

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 12:14 AM
  #437
Iggy Smalls
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Quote:
Entsminger's obituary also said he "wrote a song each year and sent it to the Cleveland Browns as well as offering other advice on how to run the team."


This guy was awesome.

Iggy Smalls is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 12:17 AM
  #438
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,633
vCash: 50
this thread is about the Christopher Walken movie, right?



Last edited by Crafton: 07-09-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Crafton is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 12:21 AM
  #439
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
this thread is about the Christopher Walken movie, right?



Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
  #440
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,548
vCash: 500
Ever since the Penguins got swept out of the Eastern Conference Finals I've been wondering - why do Penguins fans and Steelers fans act so differently after disappointments?

Take Penguins fans for example - after getting swept out Penguins fans demanded huge changes. They wanted Bylsma and Fleury out (some even wanted Shero gone) and some fans even questioned if Mario really valued winning. There was a sense that despite the fact the Penguins got further in the playoffs than 26 other teams, this was a deeply flawed team that needed a shake-up.

Steeler fans on the other hand seem to be scared to death of change. After a disappointing 8-8 season, Steeler fans seem to think it was all because of breaks and bounces. They think that the Steelers front office and ownership is always right and should never be questioned. If you do question it, you'll likely be called a Ravens fan, a Browns fan, an Arians lover, or you'll get homophobic slurs thrown in your face. Never you mind the Haley offense was no better than the Haley offense, Art Rooney II likes it so he's right!

I realize not all Penguins fans are Steelers fans and visa versa, but still, how can a fanbase react so differently after disappointments from their sports teams?

Shockmaster is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 12:20 PM
  #441
Bennett Brauer
Registered User
 
Bennett Brauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,336
vCash: 500
The NFL has been quiet leading up to training camp, teams have cap space and there are serviceable players on the FA market still but teams aren't adding.

This has been one of the quietest NFL offseasons.

Bennett Brauer is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 01:06 PM
  #442
Smoke
Time is the flaw
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Ever since the Penguins got swept out of the Eastern Conference Finals I've been wondering - why do Penguins fans and Steelers fans act so differently after disappointments?

Take Penguins fans for example - after getting swept out Penguins fans demanded huge changes. They wanted Bylsma and Fleury out (some even wanted Shero gone) and some fans even questioned if Mario really valued winning. There was a sense that despite the fact the Penguins got further in the playoffs than 26 other teams, this was a deeply flawed team that needed a shake-up.

Steeler fans on the other hand seem to be scared to death of change. After a disappointing 8-8 season, Steeler fans seem to think it was all because of breaks and bounces. They think that the Steelers front office and ownership is always right and should never be questioned. If you do question it, you'll likely be called a Ravens fan, a Browns fan, an Arians lover, or you'll get homophobic slurs thrown in your face. Never you mind the Haley offense was no better than the Haley offense, Art Rooney II likes it so he's right!

I realize not all Penguins fans are Steelers fans and visa versa, but still, how can a fanbase react so differently after disappointments from their sports teams?
Maintaining the course and not making large, knee jerk reactions has been a part of the Steelers organization long before I was born. Most yinzers are comfortable with the team staying put and it has worked for them over the years.

Smoke is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 01:26 PM
  #443
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 65,706
vCash: 2563
The Steelers were pretty unlucky last year, but it's just the way the organization is and has the fans programmed to believe. The Steelers have run on a system of stability since 1969 and they've won more Super Bowls than anyone else partially because of that. When you've only had 3 coaches in 44 years it's pretty hard to cry out for a coaching change every year.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 03:14 PM
  #444
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Maintaining the course and not making large, knee jerk reactions has been a part of the Steelers organization long before I was born. Most yinzers are comfortable with the team staying put and it has worked for them over the years.
Those are good points, but at what point do you say "that was then, this is now"? It's one thing to not knee-jerk, but it's another thing to let errors persist, and it's another thing to hold onto something for too long. Take Chuck Noll for example. He won four super bowls with the Steelers and is considered one of the greatest football coaches of all time. But looking back and considering how bad the Steelers were in the 80's, I think they held onto Noll for longer than they should have. The same might soon be said about Dick LeBeau. #1 defense in yards allowed, but otherwise not very intimidating nor does it make big plays. It's just a "tackle the catch" defense.

You can talk about all the glory in the past, but when you consider the bad drafting over the past few years and the unexplainable stubbornness the Steelers show over how NFL football is played today, you really have to wonder if the game has finally passed them by.

Shockmaster is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 06:04 PM
  #445
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 65,706
vCash: 2563
That seems to happen every 5 or 6 years and then the league shifts and we're back to being on the cutting edge. Remember when we were the only team in the league still using the barbaric 3-4?

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 06:27 PM
  #446
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
That seems to happen every 5 or 6 years and then the league shifts and we're back to being on the cutting edge. Remember when we were the only team in the league still using the barbaric 3-4?
The thing is it doesn't look like the NFL is anywhere close to shifting back to what yinzers want it to be. They want running and defense and do not view the QB position favorably.

So should the Steelers adapt to the modern NFL and worry about any potential "shifts" if/when they do happen, or waste the remaining years of Ben's career hoping the NFL shifts back to what it was in the early 70's?

Shockmaster is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 06:30 PM
  #447
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
The thing is it doesn't look like the NFL is anywhere close to shifting back to what yinzers want it to be. They want running and defense and do not view the QB position favorably.

So should the Steelers adapt to the modern NFL and worry about any potential "shifts" if/when they do happen, or waste the remaining years of Ben's career hoping the NFL shifts back to what it was in the early 70's?
ya, if only this team knew how to succeed with Ben at the helm. Damn guy is going to be remembered as a bum who couldn't win anything but those two worthless superbowls with another appearance because his team was stuck in the 70s.

we're doing fine. The Steelers have been to 3 of the last 8 superbowls and won 2 of them. The league has not passed us by just yet.


Last edited by Ogrezilla: 07-13-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 06:39 PM
  #448
Smoke
Time is the flaw
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
ya, if only this team knew how to succeed with Ben at the helm. Damn guy is going to be remembered as a bum who couldn't win anything but those two worthless superbowls with another appearance because his team was stuck in the 70s.

we're doing fine. The Steelers have been to 3 of the last 8 superbowls and won 2 of them.
Yes, but they have not won a Superbowl since '09


Smoke is offline  
Old
07-13-2013, 06:48 PM
  #449
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Yes, but they have not won a Superbowl since '09

yes, a different world back then. Our Running backs and defense ruled the day back in those days. Super Bowl XLIII was the very definition of grind it out smashmouth steelers football. It was a classic gain a lead and run out the clock game, right? Back before the league passed us by.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-13-2013, 07:14 PM
  #450
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
yes, a different world back then. Our Running backs and defense ruled the day back in those days. Super Bowl XLIII was the very definition of grind it out smashmouth steelers football. It was a classic gain a lead and run out the clock game, right? Back before the league passed us by.
Actually, that's what the Steelers tried to do in that game in the second half before Ben's game-winning drive.

You know what else didn't happen before 2009? Art II wasn't trying to dictate the offense. Since then it's gone to crap. Last year's offense was a joke. It literally looked like the Steelers thought time of possession was more important than points.

You seem to imply I'm trying to take away what the Steelers have accomplished during Ben's career. I'm not, but I am pointing out that in the last few seasons they've been going in the wrong direction, specifically a direction that is very outdated.

Defensively, they have not drafted too well aside from Cortez Allen since 2009. They've given some of their older players bad contracts that have given the Steelers cap problems. They used to have guys "next in line" so to speak, but we haven't seen that for some time, hence having to keep the older players around longer. It probably doesn't help that rookies are benched for their first two or three seasons trying to learn a "complex" defense when rookies on other teams have made impacts right away.

Shockmaster is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.