HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Devils 'very interested' in Ryane Clowe

Old
07-04-2013, 03:41 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I appreciate the responses! Thank you everyone. It seems to me Clowe would fit well on NJD, but I wonder why they just wouldn't reup Clarkson...
Clarkson seemingly wants to test the market and his rumored contract demands are outrageous (apparently seeking $6M per for 7 years).

His agent has also publicly blasted the Devils which some feel have alienated Lou and tarnished his standing with the team.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I suspect if Clowe is put with a dominant ES player like Elias, he'll be fine and could possibly replicate Clarkson's role, but I just question his lack of mobility to get shots on net at a high rate like Clarkson can.

He needs to be coddled with star players to be effective, something the Rangers couldn't supply.

Quote:
Over the past season and change, that part of his game has rarely shone through and he's been an utter liability at even-strength when not attached at the hip to Logan Couture. Even at his best, he never truly had the puck skills to drive play through the neutral zone or the hockey sense to trigger clean exits out of the defensive end, with superior linemates like Joe Pavelski and Couture routinely expected to mask his deficiencies.

Does that mean much? I'm not entirely sure. What we do know is that the three seasons before this one, Clowe managed a 54.6% Corsi percentage at even strength, but only 49.7% in 830 minutes away from Logan Couture, which holds with Derek's analysis that he doesn't drive the play on his own.
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...re-ryane-clowe

Rangers didn't have a Couture to mask his deficiencies as a player. The Devils have Elias, so I think he should adjust accordingly since every linemate Elias has been with is good at ES.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:43 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Adjust those stats and Clowe will be a great acquisition if he has 20 concussions.

Seriously, been thinking for a long time that Clowe would be a logical signing for NJD regardless if Clarkson departs. Could see him slotting in as a capable third cog crashing the net and picking up garbage on LW, while Kovalchuk wheels around firing from the outside. Between Clowe's physical play and Kovalchuk's speed, that would open up a ton of ice.

And look beyond the offensive numbers. When healthy, Clowe hits, often and with malice. As much as "replacing" Clarkson goals, NJD needs to add a guy to their top 9 who will help wear down the opponent. (Some say taking the body is overrated; those people would be wrong, even in today's kinder and gentler NHL).

However, Clowe's physical condition renders much of this speculation dicey, at best.
Clowe circa 2007-2008 hits. Clowe nowdays isn't the same player. Since making the Sharks's lineup, he had issues with bad habits; an unwillingness to stick to the quasi-power forward game that made him so valuable. He tries too often to play this perimeter game with a playmaking element. Problem is, as a perimeter player he is much less effective, and as a playmaker, there are simply better options. With his size, hands, and instincts, he should have gotten 30 goals once or twice.

Plus, he's below average defensively.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
RSeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I suspect if Clowe is put with a dominant ES player like Elias, he'll be fine and could possibly replicate Clarkson's role, but I just question his lack of mobility to get shots on net at a high rate like Clarkson can.

He needs to be coddled with star players to be effective, something the Rangers couldn't supply.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...re-ryane-clowe

Rangers didn't have a Couture to mask his deficiencies as a player. The Devils have Elias, so I think he should adjust accordingly since every linemate Elias has been with is good at ES.
Elias and Clowe are both LW'ers so I doubt they play together at even strength. I could see him being brought him to be the LW on a line with Kovalchuk or on the 3rd line LW spot with Henrique as his center.

RSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeen View Post
Elias and Clowe are both LW'ers so I doubt they play together at even strength. I could see him being brought him to be the LW on a line with Kovalchuk or on the 3rd line LW spot with Henrique as his center.
Elias is a center.

Or at least he's played center.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:50 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Elias is a center.
No.. he's a left wing and always has been.

He plays center occasionally when the situation calls for it (no other linemates play center/injuries).. but he's best at LW.

He even says so himself.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
No.. he's a left wing and always has been.

He plays center occasionally when the situation calls for it (no other linemates play center/injuries).. but he's best at LW.

He even says so himself.
Yeah, check the edited post.

I can't see how Clowe will work with Kovalchuk.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:54 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Yeah, check the edited post.

I can't see how Clowe will work with Kovalchuk.
Gotcha..

and no.. Clowe with Kovalchuk wouldn't work. I've always wanted the experiment to be done with Clarkson because the theory is putting a big body that can bang home rebounds in front of the net would be advantageous for Kovalchuk.. but just doesn't work in practicality.

Kovy needs line-mates like Henrique and Zajac that can get him the puck while still being a threat themselves to keep the puck and roof it home.

Assuming Clowe is healthy, would like him on the 3rd line anyways.. not top 6.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Gotcha..

and no.. Clowe with Kovalchuk wouldn't work. I've always wanted the experiment to be done with Clarkson because the theory is putting a big body that can bang home rebounds in front of the net would be advantageous for Kovalchuk.. but just doesn't work in practicality.

Kovy needs line-mates like Henrique and Zajac that can get him the puck while still being a threat themselves to keep the puck and roof it home.
Where do you envision Clowe in the Devils lineup? IMO, it would be best to put him with Elias somehow, but they both play LW as one poster said. Wouldn't it be logical if the Devils went after a RWer?

Old
07-04-2013, 07:58 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Where do you envision Clowe in the Devils lineup? IMO, it would be best to put him with Elias somehow, but they both play LW as one poster said. Wouldn't it be logical if the Devils went after a RWer?
Can Clowe not play RW? As I edited in, I'd ideally only want Clowe (if healthy) as a 3rd liner.

Our only real holes are at #1 center (bonafide #1 to push Zajac down to be a great 2C) and 2nd line RW.

So yea, more logical to go after a RW unless there's really no-one on the market that would fit in. I'd still think they're going after Clowe to replace Clarkie on the 3rd line.

Old
07-04-2013, 08:47 PM
HenriquesJawLine

I'd love this third line

Clowe- Loktionov- Zubrus

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Clowe circa 2007-2008 hits. Clowe nowdays isn't the same player. Since making the Sharks's lineup, he had issues with bad habits; an unwillingness to stick to the quasi-power forward game that made him so valuable. He tries too often to play this perimeter game with a playmaking element. Problem is, as a perimeter player he is much less effective, and as a playmaker, there are simply better options. With his size, hands, and instincts, he should have gotten 30 goals once or twice.

Plus, he's below average defensively.
I take your assessment about his hitting. I do know that he took the body early and often in his short time with NYR.

I have read same as you state above about his digression in SJ from power game to perimeter, so perhaps I'm being too optimistic (or, as you suggest, stuck in 2007-08).

As for his defensive deficiencies, I am onboard with that. Pipedream was a healthy, hitting Clowe and Kovalchuk supported by a solid two-way, defensively responsible pivot, e.g., Loktionov or Zajac.

Anyway, pure speculation on my part.

As an aside, the consistency of Clarkson's physical game tapered off in the last two seasons (relative to previous years) as his offensive output increased. Which is why I think that element needs to be found somewhere for NJD.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:08 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

If I didn't have any concerns about Clowe's injury issues, I would take him over Clarkson even with equal contracts.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriquesJawLine View Post
I'd love this third line

Clowe- Loktionov- Zubrus
NJ should get Handzus on there for the slowest line in the NHL.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
who cares when they never give up the puck?

anyways, I wouldnt mind Clowe as a third liner I guess, but I wouldnt be thrilled with it.

if its the only move Lou makes tomorrow I'll be even more upset with it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:20 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
who cares when they never give up the puck?

anyways, I wouldnt mind Clowe as a third liner I guess, but I wouldnt be thrilled with it.

if its the only move Lou makes tomorrow I'll be even more upset with it.
The Devils (forwards in particular) were soft to begin with. Clarkson leaves, getting a guy like Clowe is an absolute must.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Or a strong puck possession line with a young, and pretty fast C in Loktionov

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Beetlebum*

Quote:
Clarkson's been trending up the past 2, Clowe's game fell off a cliff with head injuries to boot.

Clowe is nothing without Couture or Pavelski on his line. Clarkson drives possession.
Clarkson drives possession? He is a black-hole once he gets the puck. I wish you and him the best in Toronto.

Clarkie is a good player, but he is not worth more than 4 million a year.

Beetlebum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

Quote:
Clowe suffered 3 concussions and had 3 goals last year. A goal for each concussion.
Oof three concussions in one season? That's unsettling.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:22 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
The Devils (forwards in particular) were soft to begin with. Clarkson leaves, getting a guy like Clowe is an absolute must.
What you aren't realizing is that for the Rangers, who need the size just as much as the Devils do, are passing on him even with a player like him filling a hole.

So the fact that the Rangers are taking a pass shows that he isn't healthy with the 2 concussions in the playoff and one earlier or that the rumors of him wanting a ridiculous long term deal are true so there are red flags everywhere.

If Clowe were healthy and the Rangers felt he could be effective like he used to be there is no way he reaches UFA...especially since he chose the Rangers last yr

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:25 PM
stocker

Clowe is going to the Bruins.

stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
What you aren't realizing is that for the Rangers, who need the size just as much as the Devils do, are passing on him even with a player like him filling a hole.

So the fact that the Rangers are taking a pass shows that he isn't healthy with the 2 concussions in the playoff and one earlier or that the rumors of him wanting a ridiculous long term deal are true so there are red flags everywhere.

If Clowe were healthy and the Rangers felt he could be effective like he used to be there is no way he reaches UFA...especially since he chose the Rangers last yr
this same logic could be applied to the Devils and Clarkson.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:29 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
I don't buy that he had three concussions in one year. He'd be a vegetable right now if that were true. I'm guessing he had the one in the playoffs, then returned too early and had a setback on the same concussion. Sharks fans keep saying there's no proof he was concussed while playing with them and I haven't read anything to substantiate the claim.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:41 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post

Rangers are in a little bit of a cap bind by not buying out Richards. They can easily afford to re-sign all their RFAs but they don't really have the room to spend on Clowe (3-4M). The Devils do.. though Clowe may still not be the answer to getting physical.

Not to mention his health issues.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:04 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I don't buy that he had three concussions in one year. He'd be a vegetable right now if that were true. I'm guessing he had the one in the playoffs, then returned too early and had a setback on the same concussion. Sharks fans keep saying there's no proof he was concussed while playing with them and I haven't read anything to substantiate the claim.
Yeah, he did have 3 last year. 2 with the Rangers. I think that this is the reason the Rangers are allowing him to walk. They will never admit it, of course.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote