HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

2013 Off-Season Armchair GM Thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 06:36 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Outlaw View Post
I just get this terrible feeling that we will all be let down tomorrow. In all reality, I don't expect the Sharks to do much of anything. I don't see what DW is trying to do here at all.
You'll be the only one let down cause you have ridiculous expectations. I'm expecting an overpaid depth player like Burish and that is all.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:38 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
I just get this terrible feeling that we will all be let down tomorrow. In all reality, I don't expect the Sharks to do much of anything. I don't see what DW is trying to do here at all.
DW does not like UFAs, he does not have the cap space, won't trade prospects/assets that we don't have and there are no signs of a moderate to major deal forthcoming. So you and all other HFers should just resign your selves to this fact and enjoy the other GMs action as they try and remake their teams while lessening their ca burdens. I think their are some players that may not get NHL offers.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Well I don't like it. This team hasn't gotten any better IMO and doesn't look to be getting any better either. Have fun betting your chips on players like Hertl/Wingels/Torres/Kennedy etc cause I wont do it. Our defense is significantly worse without Burns and we are still thin of top 6 talent. This team has taken nothing but losses this offseason except for extending Couture.

19 88 12 44 39 8 48
Old
07-04-2013, 06:52 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Well I don't like it. This team hasn't gotten any better IMO and doesn't look to be getting any better either. Have fun betting your chips on players like Hertl/Wingels/Torres/Kennedy etc cause I wont do it. Our defense is significantly worse without Burns and we are still thin of top 6 talent. This team has taken nothing but losses this offseason except for extending Couture.
I agree with all you say, i just don't think DW will do anything else except some depth players that are cheap. Lets hope Hertl is ready to produce at the NHL level..

Old
07-04-2013, 06:55 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyExit View Post
I agree about Hannan. I was skeptical when he was acquired and ate crow when he played admirably. It was cool having him back. But the Sharks lost and it's done now. We know what we're getting from him. In the long term it would be better to have Irwin, Braun, and Demers all receiving minutes instead of Demers being benched. No one wants to see the same old song and dance of a declining veteran D being played every night over a more capable player. I won't do Hannan the disgrace of lumping him into the Wallin/White category but the point still stands.
Defensively, Hannan isn't that bad unless trying to defend speed (eg Chicago. But, the tendency to go with stay at home with limited puck skills will further limit the offense. That type of choice says they are comfortable being in the bottom third of the league for scoring (which is nuts IMO). They need fixes and the two biggest are going with 3 scoring lines followed closely by a system modification to encourage defenders to participate offensively and getting defenders who can do so. Every time they get a defender with limited offensive skills, it hurts the overall offense. It's a bad mindset for the team.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Hannan hasn't even signed yet so until he does i'm not worried.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:03 PM
YoungSinatra
Bradley Stuart

vCash: 273
Yeah, Demers over Hannan please.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:04 PM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Defensively, Hannan isn't that bad unless trying to defend speed (eg Chicago. But, the tendency to go with stay at home with limited puck skills will further limit the offense. That type of choice says they are comfortable being in the bottom third of the league for scoring (which is nuts IMO). They need fixes and the two biggest are going with 3 scoring lines followed closely by a system modification to encourage defenders to participate offensively and getting defenders who can do so. Every time they get a defender with limited offensive skills, it hurts the overall offense. It's a bad mindset for the team.
Well said on both points. I'd be all for 3 scoring lines (which it looks like they are going for) as well as an emphasis on D men who can play well offensively. Every time you have a guy like Murray, Wallin, etc in the offensive zone you know they won't do much beyond treating the puck like a grenade. The more guys you have like that, the more non factors there are for the opposing team to not worry about.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Irbes Mask

Quote:
This your first FA with the Sharks? If DW resigns Kennedy, Stalock and Hanners tomorrow I'd be surprised. He views the whole FA period as beginning tomorrow and going through the start of the season.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:17 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyExit View Post
Well said on both points. I'd be all for 3 scoring lines (which it looks like they are going for) as well as an emphasis on D men who can play well offensively. Every time you have a guy like Murray, Wallin, etc in the offensive zone you know they won't do much beyond treating the puck like a grenade. The more guys you have like that, the more non factors there are for the opposing team to not worry about.
Without a Norris caliber dman, you need to go to a high scoring approach if you want the silver thingy. Same if you don't have a Vezina caliber goalie. If you want to go the defensive route, you need both. If you look at the scoring by dmen and lower line players in Chicago's lineup, you get an idea of what that means. The Sharks aren't even close but it would be easier to make the adjustments to go the offensive route rather than try and obtain a Norris caliber guy (Suter, Chara, Weber, Keith, Karlsson, Subban). Teams aren't going to hand over Norris types.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Rickety Cricket

I'm fine with DW not going out and spending money on July 1st. Those buyouts we've seen this year, guess when a lot of those contracts were signed.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:20 PM
WantonAbandon

And the Nillisian Madness continues. Apparently he has acquired Horcoff for multiple assets. Well the Dallas owners did say they were willing to spend money. One thing I will admit is Dallas is much deeper down the middle now which should improve them dramatically (they were pathetic before), but at what cost? AT WHAT COST!!!???!!! Although I still think they are lacking a true second C or perhaps that is Seguin and they are lacking a true 1st C

Old
07-04-2013, 07:26 PM
SJSharks42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
You'll be the only one let down cause you have ridiculous expectations. I'm expecting an overpaid depth player like Burish and that is all.
Which sucks because we don't even need more depth forwards. Shepp/Wingels/Pavs/Kennedy/Burish/Desi/Torres make up a good bottom 6 and 13th forward. DW obviously knows we need a top six winger. It's all we need. Seems like it's going to have to be through trade though. And with Hertl coming in it seems like Pavs may be the one to dangle. Sigh. This offseason feels so stagnant.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:27 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks42 View Post
Which sucks because we don't even need more depth forwards. Shepp/Wingels/Pavs/Kennedy/Burish/Desi/Torres make up a good bottom 6 and 13th forward. DW obviously knows we need a top six winger. It's all we need. Seems like it's going to have to be through trade though. And with Hertl coming in it seems like Pavs may be the one to dangle. Sigh. This offseason feels so stagnant.
Take a look at Boston's and Chicago's bottom sixes

Old
07-04-2013, 07:31 PM
SJSharks42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Take a look at Boston's and Chicago's bottom sixes
Yeah but there's no way we're going to get that this offseason. What we have is good. But we need another top six player hands down.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:36 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Torres and Kennedy are two legit good third line wingers. Put them with Pavelski and they're a stellar 3rd line. Sheppard is a good 4th liner, and Desy is sufficient. Frankly, we just need one 2nd liner and I'm happy.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:40 PM
SJSharks42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Torres and Kennedy are two legit good third line wingers. Put them with Pavelski and they're a stellar 3rd line. Sheppard is a good 4th liner, and Desy is sufficient. Frankly, we just need one 2nd liner and I'm happy.
Exactly. Honestly we need someone else to play with Jumbo. I felt like his talent was somewhat wasted this past season. He needs legit top six forwards to play with. Not Galiardi. Not Burns(even though Burns was good he isn't a forward). Jumbo needs legit linemates.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Exactly. Honestly we need someone else to play with Jumbo. I felt like his talent was somewhat wasted this past season. He needs legit top six forwards to play with. Not Galiardi. Not Burns(even though Burns was good he isn't a forward). Jumbo needs legit linemates.
The way Burns played at forward, point production, etc., is what you want from a first line wing. JT is not the #1 center anymore 5on5; the stats back that. His talent wasn't wasted; he proved that he wasn't #1 during the mid-season slump. If you use Hertl on the left of JT/Burns, you should have a perfect F1 (Burns), F2 (JT), F3 Hertl setup. It's a question as to whether Hertl can play to 2nd line level. Don't hand out labels for history, observe the current level of play.

Marleau (F1)/Couture (F3)/Grabo (F2)
Torres (F1)/Pavs (F2)/Kennedy (F3)

Spares:
Wingels F1
Sheppard F2
Burish F3 (ugh!)
Desi F2

Old
07-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree that we need to put JT with two legit top-6 players. That being said he is the most likely C to carry lesser players and make them look better than they really are.

Also, its a lot harder to find two legit top-6 players when we cannot even find one ..

07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
hockfan1991

Quote:
The way Burns played at forward, point production, etc., is what you want from a first line wing. JT is not the #1 center anymore 5on5; the stats back that. His talent wasn't wasted; he proved that he wasn't #1 during the mid-season slump. If you use Hertl on the left of JT/Burns, you should have a perfect F1 (Burns), F2 (JT), F3 Hertl setup. It's a question as to whether Hertl can play to 2nd line level. Don't hand out labels for history, observe the current level of play.

Marleau (F1)/Couture (F3)/Grabo (F2)
Torres (F1)/Pavs (F2)/Kennedy (F3)

Spares:
Wingels F1
Sheppard F2
Burish F3 (ugh!)
Desi F2
Sj easy do you think grabo. is our best bet? If we had a healthy havlat I would be happy with that roster. I do feel that we need 1 more top 6 forward. I really don't want wingels or Kennedy in top 6. Also with burns and hertl both rws Who moves to the left side. And whoever it is will they be efficient enough to play the left side? Comfortable?

Old
07-04-2013, 08:59 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan1991 View Post
Sj easy do you think grabo. is our best bet? If we had a healthy havlat I would be happy with that roster. I do feel that we need 1 more top 6 forward. I really don't want wingels or Kennedy in top 6.
I want them to get an F2 with speed to replace Havlat. Grabo and Flipper are probably the two best available. Elias was better than both but that was obviously going to be NJ. IMO, Havlat won't be back until January at the earliest and could very well miss all of next season. Both of them are pretty much perfect fits on paper.

The Sharks are stacked to the gills at F3 and F1; they need F2s. One of the best ways to increase offense is to balance between F1, F2 and F3. Overloading any one style is a recipe for disappointment meaning lack of scoring. Balance is the best way to optimize. They also need the balance in speed.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:15 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I want them to get an F2 with speed to replace Havlat. Grabo and Flipper are probably the two best available. Elias was better than both but that was obviously going to be NJ. IMO, Havlat won't be back until January at the earliest and could very well miss all of next season. Both of them are pretty much perfect fits on paper.

The Sharks are stacked to the gills at F3 and F1; they need F2s. One of the best ways to increase offense is to balance between F1, F2 and F3. Overloading any one style is a recipe for disappointment meaning lack of scoring. Balance is the best way to optimize. They also need the balance in speed.
Grabo is probably going to Boston

Old
07-04-2013, 09:22 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Grabo is probably going to Boston
Ack!
Grabo > Peverly
Eriksson>Horton

They'll still miss Seguin a little, but they are close to this year's team.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Hatrick Marleau
#Gutless

Really, we don't need to do much tomorrow. We just need to sign Stalock, a 7th Dman, and a top 6 forward. Then we will be set.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:36 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

There's no reason for Alfie to leave Ottawa, I don't trust that he will.

Closed Thread