HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Why Do You Like Peter Forsberg...

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 05:48 PM
djavan

vCash: 500
Why Do You Like Peter Forsberg...

I'm assuming here that since this is an Avs board a good majority of us checking in are Avs fans and certainly happy to have number 21 on our squad...

Anyway for me it is his no holes barred style of play...

He rarely takes a shift off and in this day and age of guys doing that (can anyone say #68 in DC) it is a pleasure when he is in the lineup and on the ice for the next shift...

Obviously he takes a beating (the injuries throughout his career) but he also dishes it out...

I've noticed that since he's back from the latest injury he's shooting the puck a lot more and I think that is good...

He plays with reckless abandon, BUT also has an elite skill level that makes that more impressive...

A few years back at the All Star game in Tampa I met him and spoke with him a bit... I was surprised to see that he was not a hulking Lindros or Bertuzzi type... He has more of a basketball players build...

He is one player who is worth the price of admission....

What do you like about #21

Old
01-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Ender

Send a message via AIM to Ender Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
Quote:
Originally Posted by djavan
Anyway for me it is his no holes barred style of play...

He rarely takes a shift off and in this day and age of guys doing that (can anyone say #68 in DC) it is a pleasure when he is in the lineup and on the ice for the next shift...

Same here, I love how he will take an hit and still be driveing toward his destination, he takes it, and he will dish it.

I also like his hair

Old
01-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
cuz he dominates like no other.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:54 PM
DarioinDenver

When he just skates and doesn't mix things up is when I think Forsberg is at his best. Specifically I find his vision of the ice, mind boggling. Couple that with his creativity in passing the puck and you've got just a world class talent. He sells it all by subtle head fakes and no look passes to boot.

On the other hand, when Peter gets chippy, he's at his worst.

Old
01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
IceBagadonuts

Forsberg

He's just The Whole Package.

When he's on the ice, I defy any knowledgeable fan to try to NOT watch him 90% of the time. That's because his STYLE and TALENT inevitably make things happen.

Proof: he has the highest regular season PPG average (1.28) of any current Colorado player. Sakic is close... at 1.22 (but, with a tip of the hat to SuperJoe, his 1.22 PPG is over 15 1/2 seasons with the franchise, compared to 9 1/2 seasons by Forsberg).

I recall a RMtNews or DPost article last year that pointed out that the Avs win about 75% of their games when Peter scores (goal OR assist).

Peter's downside is, as already mentioned, his "availability". His injury history, going back to '94-95 in Quebec, says he's out for about 30% of the team's games. Regrettably, it doesn't look like he'll ever approach Sakic's longevity, either.

The NHL has its Super-Stars, but none of 'em also elevates their team-mates play better than Peter Forsberg.

Old
01-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver

On the other hand, when Peter gets chippy, he's at his worst.

not really. when he's hitting he plays good. its when he takes his mouthguard out of his mouth and puts it ni the glove and then starts yapping at the ref. thats his worst.

he wants the attention cuz it opens up his mates. im sure you've seen him inniteate hits with the puck.

Old
01-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBagadonuts
He's just The Whole Package.

When he's on the ice, I defy any knowledgeable fan to try to NOT watch him 90% of the time. That's because his STYLE and TALENT inevitably make things happen.

Proof: he has the highest regular season PPG average (1.28) of any current Colorado player. Sakic is close... at 1.22 (but, with a tip of the hat to SuperJoe, his 1.22 PPG is over 15 1/2 seasons with the franchise, compared to 9 1/2 seasons by Forsberg).

I recall a RMtNews or DPost article last year that pointed out that the Avs win about 75% of their games when Peter scores (goal OR assist).

Peter's downside is, as already mentioned, his "availability". His injury history, going back to '94-95 in Quebec, says he's out for about 30% of the team's games. Regrettably, it doesn't look like he'll ever approach Sakic's longevity, either.

The NHL has its Super-Stars, but none of 'em also elevates their team-mates play better than Peter Forsberg.

we continued the avs record when peter scored a goal last year on the board here but it got lost after teh season. it was at i think 72-6-10 when he scores since 1998

Old
01-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Forsberg21

His humility would be another thing I love about the guy. He never praises his own play.

I love his intensity as a player, his vision on the ice, his physical play, his determination to win, his no-fear attitude, his ability to make those around him better players, his mind-boggling puckhandling ability, etc.....the list goes on and on.

He's not perfect, since his intensity often leads him into losing his cool whenever he gets roughed up. He has to stay in the play instead of yapping at the refs when he feels that they may have missed a call.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:29 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
not really. when he's hitting he plays good. its when he takes his mouthguard out of his mouth and puts it ni the glove and then starts yapping at the ref. thats his worst.

he wants the attention cuz it opens up his mates. im sure you've seen him inniteate hits with the puck.
No really it is. Hitting and skating are different from getting 'chippy'. When he gets tied up behind the play with the whole wrestling thing, he's not always the innocent victim and could easily skate away. It's times like this when an AHL calibure talent like Avery can completely throw Forsberg off his game to the point he's useless.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Oh...when I first clicked on this topic I thought you meant Worrell.

But Peter? Geez, the guy has all the ability and he does what it takes to win. His fire and passion are something to behold. Even though he shouldn't have taken that ill-advised penalty near the end of the 3-2 loss against the Nucks, it was still hilarious to see Foppa lose it and deck Cloutier where it counted most. He bucks the stereotype that all skilled European players play a soft game.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
No really it is. Hitting and skating are different from getting 'chippy'. When he gets tied up behind the play with the whole wrestling thing, he's not always the innocent victim and could easily skate away. It's times like this when an AHL calibure talent like Avery can completely throw Forsberg off his game to the point he's useless.

oh ok your talking about the wreslting stuff.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
I'll throw in another reason, since most of you guys covered it. My favorite atribute is his no quit attitude, specifically his third and fourth efforts to keep the play alive. No other player battles as well as he does, and he will give fourth, fifth, and sixth efforts until he either gets the puck, or he is completely out of the play and needs a change. That's when I cheer for him the most, when his battles pay off in a goal, like the PP game winner against Vancouver, where you could see he was not going to lose the battle to the puck, as he knocked the defensman off the puck, and skated behind the net, and laid a beautiful pass on the tape of Hejduk. His ability to combine a rugged warrior style, with sheer artistic beauty is why Peter Forsberg is my favorite player.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:09 AM
El_Loco_Avs

he has a nice ass...

what?
stop looking at me!!!

Old
01-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs
he has a nice ass...

what?
stop looking at me!!!

Old
01-07-2004, 02:38 AM
El_Loco_Avs

the means I was kidding you know...

no really...

seriously..

Old
01-07-2004, 04:50 AM
RoyIsALegend*

I like Peter Forsberg because he's the best ******* player on the face of the Earth.

Old
01-09-2004, 02:28 AM
El_Loco_Avs

which leaves one question... who's the best player on the ass of the world?

Closed Thread