HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What is the consensus on Coburn here if he is not traded?

Old
07-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Giroux It
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I have to disagree with you. For what he is, I think Grossmann is the better defenseman. He is cheaper, blocks a ton more shots, is plenty physical, and isn't any worse than Coburn in his own end. He also has a better shot than Coburn. Every single night, I know what we are getting from Grossmann. I can't say the same thing with Coburn.

Coburn is pretty much a giant enigma. The failure of him to turn into a #1 hasn't helped. He's sooooo inconsistent. One night he plays like 6'5. The next he plays like he is 5'5. His shot for his size is pretty weak. He can't play the point on the PP. The only thing Coburn really has over Grossmann is that he is a little better skater and he is capable of carrying the puck up the ice on the rush. I wouldn't confuse him with someone who excels at that though.

He's a good player, but I think Schenn and Grossmann make him expendable, and thats why his name is coming up.
I will agree that Grossmann blocks more shots, but I disagree that he isn't worse than Coburn in our end. I would rather take the randomness of Coburn than putting a player like Grossmann, who is bottom pairing Dman at BEST. I understand why people like him, but he isn't good enough to make up for the mistakes that he does make. Coburn is gifted enough to make up for a bad play. He can throw his weight around, sure he takes dumb penalties. I think losing Coburn is a bigger blow than most would realize. You will really see some of the weaknesses of the bottom pair if they have play more minutes.

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Damaged Goods

Bounce-back time.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:35 PM
captainpaxil

Coburn isn't an offensive d and when he struggles its cuz hes trying to move the puck. im expectin a really good year out of Coburn. though I do honestly think there has to be a scapegoat in philly and soburnt is the new bundy

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:13 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I have to disagree with you. For what he is, I think Grossmann is the better defenseman. He is cheaper, blocks a ton more shots, is plenty physical, and isn't any worse than Coburn in his own end. He also has a better shot than Coburn. Every single night, I know what we are getting from Grossmann. I can't say the same thing with Coburn.

Coburn is pretty much a giant enigma. The failure of him to turn into a #1 hasn't helped. He's sooooo inconsistent. One night he plays like 6'5. The next he plays like he is 5'5. His shot for his size is pretty weak. He can't play the point on the PP. The only thing Coburn really has over Grossmann is that he is a little better skater and he is capable of carrying the puck up the ice on the rush. I wouldn't confuse him with someone who excels at that though.

He's a good player, but I think Schenn and Grossmann make him expendable, and thats why his name is coming up.
I agree with this assesment.
Coburn is not physical, a big detriment for a defensive defenseman.
To keep Coburn instead of upgrading the defense
is to waste cap space when we need it to improve this defense.
Coburn does not improve the defense, he dooms it to mediocrity.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
But he uses his size effectively, a big bonus for a defensive defenseman.
And he has great positioning, a big bonus for a defensive defenseman.
And he's an incredible skater, a big bonus for a defensive defenseman.

Coburn is an above average defenseman.

You build strong teams with multiple above average skaters.

You doom them to mediocrity when you throw all of your depth away for one big player who can't play for everyone at once.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:40 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I'd just add to the second line of your post that Coburn is not physical enough. It is inaccurate to say that he is not physical.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:48 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Another positive for Coburn is that he always there to defend his team mates.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Solefool

I like Coburn. I just expect someone with a 4.5 cap hit to provide more consistency. At the end of the day, he just needs to get moved.

Solefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
JGalt

I have always thought that trading Coburn would be a huge mistake.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
The one thing that is interesting about this rumor is what has been released and what is in the dark. There were a plethora of rumors saying Paajarvi was part of the deal, but Homer didn't want that(Dreger said it has to be a better player). Then a leak about the Flyers wanted 3 second rounders(56+57+2014 2nd rounder)+ something on top of that. Now the latest leak is Coburn is just part of a major deal being discussed between the two teams.

People think I am being overly optimistic(and sometimes I do get carried away, but who doesnt), but I want Eberle. If you pair his name with the Dreger rumor, Eberle is literally the only forward that makes sense from our POV. They don't have a forward other than him that will peak our interest(NO to Hemsky and Horcoff.)(also I mean they are willing to move, Hall, RNH, Yak are off limits most likely) Coburn plays 22-23 mins a night and solid PK. Shoot, Edmonton might even want to give him a try on the PP. I understand HF posters think Coburn, since he doesn't put up 40 points, don't think he is valuable. People have to understand you don't trade a top 4 defender of the caliber of Coburn for just nothing, Homer's asking price is high as the sky right now it seems.

Also Bob Mac was on TSN radio and said other teams are also calling the Flyers asking about him. If Homer is determined to deal with Edmonton, that helps raise the price. If Coburn is in high demand, the price will only continue to rise. Hopefully Homer is patient and waits out all the crappy offer until a team gets serious. I think that will come during the weekend or even early next week, when teams miss out on FA's and other deals.

To add to this as well, Edmonton is going hard after Clarkson, they really want some jam in there top 6. Hartnell was rumored a long time ago to be on the move there, but the deal fell apart. Maybe something is really brewing between the two teams, I hope so.
I agree with this. I don't want the Flyers to trade Coburn because I believe the team needs defensive depth, and depleting it is not going to help our situation once injuries hit - and they will hit. However, if the team is going to get rid of him, they should wait until the FA frenzy period is over so that teams may be willing to give up more. I think you are right with Edmonton though - they have tons of oung talent to part with and may be willing to do so.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:27 PM
JGalt

Just who the **** is going to play Coburn's minutes if you trade him away? And when Kimmo retires? Mez? Old man Streit is gonna pick up his defensive assignments? I swear some people are out to lunch on this one. IF you package Coburn to bring in a #1 that's one thing, but a winger? Picks? That would be a disaster.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:55 PM
flyersgal

I'm not sure why people think Coburn is expendable. Yes, he can be inconsistent, but overall, he's a very good defender. Besides, who would we replace him with? Kimmo is about to retire, Streit is aging, Mez can't stay healthy and will most likely be gone soon as well. Despite his flaws, Coburn eats up a lot of minutes for us. We need d depth for when injuries occur, and trading Coburn depletes that depth.

flyersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
If we are getting eberle in a deal then we are giving up Couturier.

I really don't want eberle. I can't stress that enough.

But if we do get him id do eberle 1st 2014 for coburn and couturier.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
Just who the **** is going to play Coburn's minutes if you trade him away? And when Kimmo retires? Mez? Old man Streit is gonna pick up his defensive assignments? I swear some people are out to lunch on this one. IF you package Coburn to bring in a #1 that's one thing, but a winger? Picks? That would be a disaster.
It make no sense unless we are signing Scuderi to take Coburn's tough defensive minutes.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:29 PM
mja
Negative Creep

In the right situation, he's a very useful player. He'll likely always be inconsistent, it's doubtful that he ever regains his early promise on offense, and he may always have to be paired with a better defenseman. That said, he has rare physical tools, can eat up a ton of minutes, and has the ability to be a monster on the blueline at times, particularly in the playoffs, as we all know. 4.5 is about market rate for him, as insane as that may sound. Just don't expect too much from him and appreciate what you do get from him.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Mota

Coburn is frustrating because he really should be the guy stepping up and being the leader of our defense. That being said, he still is a hell of a player...there is a reason teams want him.

I wont be that disappointed if our top 6 is Timonen, Schenn, Streit, Coburn, Gust, and Grossmann. I think there is a lot of balance there and if they can play better team defense, they will be fine. Maybe sign Blum with the anticipation of injuries.

I still think they should try to get Pietrangelo, but if they can't it won't be the worst thing in the world.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I really get frustrated at all the stupid mistakes and breakdowns he has.

I'm indifferent if he gets traded or not. I'm alright if he stays, and I'm alright if he traded, FOR A GOOD RETURN, though.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
If you honestly look at the free agent market and other available names, Coburn pretty much is the best of the crop. Edler is the only one who is better, but I don't really think Vancouver is shopping him.
His NTC went into effect Monday.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:43 PM
FlyingPhilly

Coburn's inconsistency is maddening. With his skillset he should be a great #2 at least, if not a #1 d-man, but he isn't. If a good trade for Coburn came along I hope the Flyers pull the trigger.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:46 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
To add to this as well, Edmonton is going hard after Clarkson, they really want some jam in there top 6. Hartnell was rumored a long time ago to be on the move there, but the deal fell apart. Maybe something is really brewing between the two teams, I hope so.
Man, if Hartnell gets traded for a good package I would be ecstatic. Sadly, I think the time Hartsy could have gotten a good return has come and passed.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:03 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Grossman and Simmonds were my two favorite players last season. Just not a Coburn fan...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:57 PM
SgtJoseph

I think Coburn having taken a few pucks to the face a few year back has made him a little gun shy at times......When he is in playoff mode though he is a different player and seems to hit much more etc...Fantastic skater, good size, etc. Hopefully he will come out flying this year to make a statement, he is certainly in his prime now.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Wud

I think he has a tendency to coast through the regular season.... But I absolutely love him in the playoffs, and that's been awhile

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 0
it would be great if he stops making turnovers every 2 sec

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Teezax

I personally wouldn't move him. Too many question marks on D right now and losing him would put us in serious trouble. Now getting rid of Mesz however, where do I sign?

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote