HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Gionta vs David Desharnais - Which one goes?

View Poll Results: Which one goes?
Brian Gionta 61 21.40%
David Desharnais 86 30.18%
Both will be dealt 46 16.14%
Neither, they will both stay Habs 92 32.28%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2013, 09:29 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Bergevin isn't stupid enough to trade Eller. (Unless he gets another big C )

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Price My Man Crush

vCash: 500
Well, OP asked two questions. The first one is: which one will be easier to trade?

To be honest, that's a tough question.

1. Gionta showed this year (again) that he can score some goals. He is still IMO a guy who can score between 20 and 25 goals if he stays healthy during a full season.

2. Our captain is a good player defensively, I even think this part of his game is underrated. Him and Plekanec have done a pretty good job the last few seasons. I'm not a big "Gio" fan but eh, I can still give him credit.

3. He is injured. Torn biceps tendon in his left arm if I remember correctly. When will he comes back? Who knows...but there's something I know: it might be difficult to trade an injured player. But, it happened with Theodore if I'm not mistaken and probably some other players. Furthermore and we need to not forget this thing, he earns $5M/year. He is indeed a little bit overpaid but this isn't too awful for the salary cap.

4. He's the captain of the Montreal Canadiens, the most prestigious hockey team in the world. He has leadership, he has a lot of experience and has already won the Stanley Cup. He's a hard worker and a great model for youngsters.

5. Desharnais showed good things in 2011-2012 with Cole & Pacioretty. He has a great vision and he is a good playmaker even if god knows people here hate him. He had 60 points in 81 games with these two guys. This year was not so great for him compared to the previous one. But still, he was on pace for 48 points and 17 goals, one more than the 2011-2012 season. He's a guy who is always going to get seasons of 50-60 points.

6. Le p'tit gars d'chez nous is not as good as Plekanec or Eller on defense AND faceoffs. He really needs to work on these parts of his game. Desharnais can bring you in the playoffs but can he get you through it? Don't think so. Can't say the guy doesn't work hard, though.

7. The contract he signed will kick in next year and his average is only $3,5M. It's not THAT bad. The only thing I dislike about this contract is the lenght of it. It might scare some GM.

So, which one do you THINK will be gone?

Gionta next year when he will be an UFA. It's gonna be difficult to trade him and get a good return. Desharnais? Depends on how he plays next year. He could be deal next year at the trade deadline.

Last edited by Price My Man Crush: 07-05-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:05 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

just what this board needs: another gionta/desharnais bashing thread

gionta will finish his contract and leave. that's what i always thought but now that we signed danny b, who the **** knows. watch him sign an extension this season just to **** with you guys

desharnais will rebound and shut half of you *****es up - or not, and gets traded next season or the one after. boohoo he only got 28 points (~48 over 82) last year. cry me a fleuve ostie

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
just what this board needs: another gionta/desharnais bashing thread

gionta will finish his contract and leave. that's what i always thought but now that we signed danny b, who the **** knows. watch him sign an extension this season just to **** with you guys

desharnais will rebound and shut half of you *****es up - or not, and gets traded next season or the one after. boohoo he only got 28 points (~48 over 82) last year. cry me a fleuve ostie
For some people around here, it has nothing to do with DD himself, but rather the makeup of the team. We need to get bigger. And if we're gonna do that sooner than later, DD will have to get traded soon.

Even better if he can up his stats before we trade him.

Gallagher > Brière > Gionta > DD

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Undertakerqc

This move makes it clear to me that Plekanec will get traded to get a bigger forward. I dont think we can get much for Dd, but he will be traded has well and i wouldnt be surprised if we sign a 4th line center.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Stripper

If Desharnais gets traded... it'll be next summer... or the one after .. but not now..

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Trade Desharnais? F***k yeah!

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Ginu

At least 55% of people believe Desharnais will be dealt. That's good enough for me

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:50 PM
BeliveauFan4ever

Gallagher > Brière > Gionta > DD

add Thomas...

...then...Ribeiro!

...toss in Grabo!!!

later...Tinordi for Krug!!!

...acquire Liles!!!

(I need a beer... even though I had a point: things could be worse. Not to be interpreted as THEY WILL)

BeliveauFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Toro

I understand the hate for DD but really guys, give him a break. He worked his ass off to get to the NHL has a really good season then has a poor lockout shortened season. He will bounce back, he is still young and should have his best years still.

To shed a small fry from this team i think it has to be the one that is not a part of the future and that is Gionta.

But in the end i believe we start the season with all the smurfs and trade gionta at the deadline if we are in the trade a pending UFA mode.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The idea of going into the season with DD, Briere and Eller as our centers absolutely horrifies me. I get Plekanec has value and if a great deal comes he's not untouchable, but I can't see good things coming out of having one of DD or Briere cope with top 6 forwards, and expecting Eller to play consistent against the Crosbys and Girouxs of the league.
That's a fair point, which is why we should try to trade Plekanec for a solid 3rd line defensive center and a pick. Problem solved.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:11 AM
NLHabsFan

I voted neither because I don't want to get my hopes up. Wouldn't be against getting rid of both to improve the team. But I don't expect it.

NLHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:15 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
You sure? Because we all said the same thing when the Briere rumour came out..

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I got it.

Tomas Plekanec to Nashville for Paul Gaustad and a 1st round pick in 2014.

They need an offensive center, we need a 3rd line heavy who can win faceoffs and take on the other team's best lines.

All get on the line wth MB, one sec...

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:18 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
That's a fair point, which is why we should try to trade Plekanec for a solid 3rd line defensive center and a pick. Problem solved.
yeah, totally

edit: im being sarcastic

Old
07-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

At this point you only trade Plekanec if you're giving up on the season before it starts.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:28 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
At this point you only trade Plekanec if you're giving up on the season before it starts.
You only trade Plekanec if we're clearly getting the better player in return. Or at least a top end prospect/young player that could be a star.

NLHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:28 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
There is no teams that want one of them.
This.

What on earth was Bergevin thinking when he offered 2 years to an injury prone midget who can't play defense?

Still I can't believe so many people here think some team will take DD off our hands. Get real and just admit both of them suck and are physically weak. I'd still try to feed him to Feaster though.

Last edited by CN_paladin: 07-05-2013 at 12:35 AM.
CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:30 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
After this questionable signing with DD and Gionta being untradeable, I am not sure about Bergevin being smart anymore.

Last edited by overlords: 07-05-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Stay away from that topic, please.
CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Miller Time

i'm inclined to think neither will get dealt/moved before the start of the season.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Habs13

Ain't nobody wants either one.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Plekanec is one of the most (if not the most) complete player we have on this team, if we trade him we are taking three steps back. Id love for MB to trade DD by some miracle but sadly I think we start the season with both DD and Gionta.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:49 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i'm inclined to think neither will get dealt/moved before the start of the season.
inclined? bet your house on it

Old
07-05-2013, 12:54 AM
25get

DD was just signed by MB so he is a nono.
Gionta has NMC so he stays.

Only one I see is Daniel Briere.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:54 AM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
Plekanec is one of the most (if not the most) complete player we have on this team, if we trade him we are taking three steps back. Id love for MB to trade DD by some miracle but sadly I think we start the season with both DD and Gionta.
it would obviously depend on who we'd get in return, plekanec isnt getting any younger and i dont think we'll be contenders anytime soon.. even if we end up getting some excellent prospects + a pick back that wouldnt be half as bad(from a long term perspective). ideally i would want someone like ryan or stewart back

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote