HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
MrBigglesworth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You do know that it was Brownlee, who called the Acton hire and the retaining of Smith and Buchberger, three weeks BEFORE it was announced, right?
(Jason Gregor)

http://oilersnation.com/2013/6/9/kei...cting-the-dots

Throw it out the window?
Robin..? Is that you..?

lol @ "Brownlee called it". Never mind that MacT pretty much spelled it out in the Eakins introduction, saying 'I sure hope he keeps the assistants'? Yeah uh...stellar job he did decoding that. The guy is a wizard.

But whatever, doesn't matter. You respect Brownlee, good on 'ya. IMO he's our Garrioch. Agree to disagree. My point is- stop saying "by all accounts" if "all" = 1 persons opinion.

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That's fine, that aspect of gming he was 100 times better than MacT and from what I have heard from MacT re spilling the beans on who he wants to draft, who is not going to be on the team, that we need to upgrade tending, that he has dreams about who we should pick in the draft Tambo might not be alone with the head in the vacuum bit.
Tambo aside, I do agree with that 40's made in the USA propaganda "loose lips, sink ships". This is the problem of a rookie GM, and problems it will create. I think we all know by now the problem is KLowe and his nepotism.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Robin..? Is that you..?

lol @ "Brownlee called it". Never mind that MacT pretty much spelled it out in the Eakins introduction, saying 'I sure hope he keeps the assistants'? Yeah uh...stellar job he did decoding that. The guy is a wizard.

But whatever, doesn't matter. You respect Brownlee, good on 'ya. IMO he's our Garrioch. Agree to disagree. My point is- stop saying "by all accounts" if "all" = 1 persons opinion.
Did Mact say they were going to hire Acton? Because Brownlee did.

Seems like he either knows what is going on, or he is a really good guesser. Either way, he spelled it out, and he identified the reason why Buchberger has been along for the ride the whole time.

You are only embarrassing yourself here.

One last thing.........

Brownlee's article in question came out BEFORE Eakins was hired/announced as head coach of the Oilers and BEFORE Mact's comments hoping for Buchberger and Smith to be retained.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 07-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.
I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Did Mact say they were going to hire Acton? Because Brownlee did.

Seems like he either knows what is going on, or he is a really good guesser. Either way, he spelled it out, and he identified the reason why Buchberger has been along for the ride the whole time.

You are only embarrassing yourself here.
I'm embarrassing myself by pointing out that your criteria for Worlds Greatest Oilers Insider = repeating what our GM said in a press conference. Gotchya.

I won't get into Acton other than to say Brownlee wasn't the only guy to bring his name up. I could elaborate there but why bother. Once you get your 'point' countered you drop it completely and come back with a condescending remark.

I have no idea why you're stuck on Brownlee and why you care what I think of him. For the 3rd (4th? 5th?) time, I'm not interested in debating that with you. Go right ahead and respect the opinions of whomever you choose and don't feel the need to keep on trying to justify that with me, I'm not too concerned about who you like and dislike.

My issue, again for the 3rd (4th? 5th?) time, was your use of the term "by all accounts". You said it to try and make a weak argument stronger, and you got called on it. Not sure what else to say there other than; deal with it and move on.

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Have you heard of the upcoming 2013-14 season?

See how that works.

The club needs help in the lineup For next season.
And you don't think that teams will accept draft picks for next summers draft this summer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
We are about to pay Gagner 5M x long term... I would rather see that money go to Lecavalier and wouldnt mind a player like that here for the next 4 yrs..
obviously hindsight now but yeah if you could have traded Gagners rights for something good and then sign Lecavalier. He's still only a 4 or 5 season player, and probably not effective for half that contract.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Archaeologuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
The article is titled "MacT more PATIENT than advertised", not "better".
I dont know why it was represented as "Better" either

Archaeologuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
And you don't think that teams will accept draft picks for next summers draft this summer???
This years picks would have more currency due to immediacy of realized value, the Oiler could've pushed hard for a meaningful trade, have an earlier deal finalized, better idea of who is onboard for this year and the combined advantage of possibly attracting other free agents if its seen that this club is making meaningful deals and additions to improve its competitiveness and lineup for this season. As it is we haven't set the table real well for the free agent market.

We still have all questions and no answers this offseason.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 2400
MacT announcing that the dressing room has been a circus didn't exactly strengthen the value of the players he wants to move out.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:32 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
MacT announcing that the dressing room has been a circus didn't exactly strengthen the value of the players he wants to move out.
maybe he was trying to make them appeal to philly since they are all a bunch of clowns anyway

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:50 PM
gordonhught

Maybe the Oilers should have hired Jim Nill to be the GM.

gordonhught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Hmm, I wonder how much of a failure he is for dealing Horcoff.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:58 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonhught View Post
Maybe they should have at least interviewed him*. Or somebody else.

*Not that I endorse this thread, the current firing of MacT, or any from-the-hip criticism of him at this point.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

There you have it folks! Offseason is a success.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Lion

I've liked MacT as GM so far, there hasn't been a move I've disagreed with him on yet. Very very happy.

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoto86 View Post
I've liked MacT as GM so far, there hasn't been a move I've disagreed with him on yet. Very very happy.
The most recent move seems to be a good step forward.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
There you have it folks! Offseason is a success.
Just like how the off season was a failure after one day!

Old
07-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonhught View Post
Could you imagine if Nill came to our team and traded for a Horcoff contract?

We would flip. Attaboy MacT.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Just like how the off season was a failure after one day!
Is it looking like a success now? Just asking because of the timing of your post.

What is unloading horc really accomplished? Are we better now?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Is it looking like a success now? Just asking because of the timing of your post.

A crapton of capspace and a new captain?

Don't get me wrong, I've always said the C is just a letter, but a fresh face as the captain might help.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:03 AM
taunting canadian

Quote:

A lot of people have been arguing against premature judgement of the offseason performance based on only the first act. It doesn't really make sense to respond by asking them to also prematurely judge the offseason.

We've heard that we can pre-judge MacT's performance after the first week or so of his offseason, based on the preconception that he was going to be passive and inactive. We have a counterexample, that implies maybe he won't be, so judging this move based on the idea that there are no further followup moves is also senseless.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:12 AM
shogun99

Lets see, he signed one of the KHLs top Dmen, upgraded our coaching, didn't make any stupid trades at the draft and convinced someone to take Horcoff at full salary. Great job so far. Now lets see what free agent day brings.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

Did I say that? I don't believe I did.

What I did say, and I'll say it again (in bold this time so people won't miss it)

ITS TOO EARLY TO JUDGE HIS MOVES.

Unloading an overpaid terrible contract. Don't bother playing Devils Advocate again. I don't really need to explain why Horcoff being gone is an addition by subtraction. I really don't.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:16 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Lets see, he signed one of the KHLs top Dmen, upgraded our coaching, didn't make any stupid trades at the draft and convinced someone to take Horcoff at full salary. Great job so far. Now lets see what free agent day brings.
and apparently we got Larsen back from the stars? Can anyone confirm this?

k , according to Dreger we got Larsen and a 7th for Horcoff. No salary retained. No cap retained. Dallas apparently will need it all.

Larsen 6'0" RHD 23 yrs old

nhlnumbers.com already has him on our team. owed 1.15M this year, cap hit of 1.025, will be a RFA next july.

Last edited by oilinblood: 07-05-2013 at 12:22 AM.
oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:17 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Did I say that? I don't believe I did.

What I did say, and I'll say it again (in bold this time so people won't miss it)

ITS TOO EARLY TO JUDGE HIS MOVES.

Unloading an overpaid terrible contract. Don't bother playing Devils Advocate again. I don't really need to explain why Horcoff being gone is an addition by subtraction. I really don't.
But there you would be wrong. Horcoff performed what his coaches asked of him fairly well.

Trading Horcoff has made the Oilers worse.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Sethis

Quote:

You are persistent as hell in trying to put a negative spin on everything aren't you?

Yes, this trade is indicative of a clear, unsullied, pure success. If we are grading him on his moves up to this point and assuming that there will be more to come, his summer has been a success.

He has:
-Grabbed a highly sought after and highly regarded Head Coach to begin his own tenure as GM.
-Signed the KHL defenseman of the year to a cheap contract without giving up a single asset.
-Drafted Nurse, who at absolute WORST was the second best option, and had way less question marks then the alternative.
-Turned 1 pick into 5, and grabbed a couple quality Russian sleepers with two of those who have relationships with our young superstar.
-Turned a bloated contract attached to a valueless player into cap space without giving up any additional assets or taking on anything debilitating himself.

Those are all successes. We are in a better position now than we were when he started. You can make assumptions of what was possible for him to do other than these moves, but you have no idea what the actual options were so this is what you have to grade him on. Based on all those moves, I have confidence he will continue to make more good ones.

Don't bother turning it into an argument, you just made the ignore list.

edit: shogun99, apparently we're on the same page

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote