HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top D Prospect?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2004, 03:17 PM
  #1
GlueleG
Registered User
 
GlueleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brooklin, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Top D Prospect?

Would this be Korovkin? How much does this excite us? He has put up some pretty good numbers this season in the WHL.... but what is his upside at this stage in his young career?

GlueleG is offline  
Old
01-05-2004, 04:22 PM
  #2
Grant Dovey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Grant Dovey Send a message via AIM to Grant Dovey Send a message via MSN to Grant Dovey Send a message via Yahoo to Grant Dovey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueleG
Would this be Korovkin? How much does this excite us? He has put up some pretty good numbers this season in the WHL.... but what is his upside at this stage in his young career?
Korovkin is an interesting prospect. He came over from Russia and played for the Kamloops Blazers (WHL) This year he was released due to Kamloops exceeding the limit of Europeans on a team (2) and more than (3) 20+ year olds. If he wasn't picked up in the WHL which he was he would have been out of business for awhile. Personally I like him and he might be the best defensive prospects we have not playing for Titans, Phantoms, and Flyers. But in the long run I doubt he will get much playing time in the NHL. The Flyers still haven't signed him.

Grant

Grant Dovey is offline  
Old
01-05-2004, 04:31 PM
  #3
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Korovkin is kinda like Woywitka but not as polished and he has an edge to him. I read that he is between 205 & 210lbs so he has put some considerable size on over the last year. I don't think that Korovkin will be a top 2 or 3 defencemen but he can definitely be a quality #4, #5 starter in the rotation.


Korovkin is a very good prospect and could be our best but I would say that either Rosario Ruggeri or Randy Jones are our best right now. Jones is excelling at the AHL level right now.

FlyersGuy69 is offline  
Old
01-05-2004, 06:59 PM
  #4
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,474
vCash: 500
what we lack though, is a physical defenseman, hopefully we could adress that during th enext draft

RoDu is offline  
Old
01-06-2004, 03:01 AM
  #5
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
what we lack though, is a physical defenseman, hopefully we could adress that during th enext draft
Do you not consider Vandy in that mold?
I have not seen him play, but the notes on Korokovin say he plays physical - again never seen him though.

Rex88 is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 07:32 AM
  #6
fan mao rong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: port royal , pa
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
D who have not yet been on FLYERS, I say it's Randy Jones. As to the unsigned Korovkin is similar to most of the others and the signed players, but a right-handed shot so I say they sign him this off-season which is the season they have to to retain his rights. But as to the best D or a better prospect a player often overlooked is Joey Mormina of Colgate University. I say there is potential for some physicality there. You heard it here first. Definitely impressive looking player.

fan mao rong is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 01:25 PM
  #7
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,474
vCash: 500
I don't see Vandy as that kind of player, i've only seen him a few times on TV, I still don't think he'll be more than a #6, but hopefully i'm wrong\
i always thought of him a s a goon with skill
we need a guy like Phaneuf who the opposituion fears

RoDu is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 03:58 AM
  #8
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
Do you not consider Vandy in that mold?
I have not seen him play, but the notes on Korokovin say he plays physical - again never seen him though.
The problem with relying on Vandy as a physical D man is that he is not big enough to move big power forwards out of the crease.

Larry44 is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 08:04 AM
  #9
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44
The problem with relying on Vandy as a physical D man is that he is not big enough to move big power forwards out of the crease.
On the Phantoms page he is 6 feet one inch and 218, so he has the size, may not be super strong but has the frame to add muscle at his age. He does need work in front of the net but is good on the boards/corners.

Rex88 is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 08:33 AM
  #10
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
On the Phantoms page he is 6 feet one inch and 218, so he has the size, may not be super strong but has the frame to add muscle at his age. He does need work in front of the net but is good on the boards/corners.
You can't really rely on Vandy to be a "force" back there, to take out big power fowards. However, what he is good at is being a huge pain to play against. He is the only player on our blueline that will continually crosscheck, slash, and punch anyone who gets in front of the net, and of course is the only one willing to fight for his team.

paxtang is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 08:42 AM
  #11
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
You can't really rely on Vandy to be a "force" back there, to take out big power fowards. However, what he is good at is being a huge pain to play against. He is the only player on our blueline that will continually crosscheck, slash, and punch anyone who gets in front of the net, and of course is the only one willing to fight for his team.
He does not have to be a force, just do exactly what you are saying and limit turnovers. He makes a good first pass already also.

Rex88 is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 03:43 AM
  #12
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
I think Vandy can be a very good Cairns type dman.

blah is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.