HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you/do you think you will be happy with the Briere signing?

View Poll Results: Are you happy?
Yes 211 48.96%
No 220 51.04%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2013, 10:42 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 50
Are you/do you think you will be happy with the Briere signing?

Simple yes or no question for you guys...not really looking for a debate here you guys can keep that in the Briere thread so this doesn't get locked because i want to see enough votes here, please and thank you!

Edit: to clear up confusion 'do you think you will be happy' doesn't necessarily relate to Briere's future play...I also meant it meaning, if you think DD or Gio are on their way out based on Briere's signing then will you be happy?

Last edited by ottawa: 07-05-2013 at 05:27 AM.
ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
beaverBFP

vCash: 500
I answered the question ''Do you think you will be happy with the Briere signing? I voted yes, i don't think MB is done dealing. I have a feeling that he will make more moves... hopefully.

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
TYLENOL

No because he doesn't fill a need.

TYLENOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:48 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 50
Voted no also, I think his ice time could go to players like Eller/Gallagher/Galchenyuk. I think our main focus should have been a top 4D and a 3rd line grinder

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:52 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

is Briere better than DD?

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:53 PM
SpreeEndaz

Voted yes. We didn't lose any asset by acquiring him and his 2 years contract will not block us in any ways from re-signing players like Subban long-term. In fact, it will let us move some resources for other assets that will help us more. It's not like if we traded McDonagh to get him. I prefer to have an extra card up our sleeve, even if it's a weak one. He'll also fill a gap next year when we probably won't re-sign Gionta and that we might lack leadership in the locker room.

Again, 2 years is just the perfect length; worst case it's going to be a failed experience with no setback. Plus, I don't see ourselves getting some better player through free agency. Also, this is a stretch, but I really hope he could help Leblanc bounce back.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
is Briere better than DD?
Yes. Easily. But for how long?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:56 PM
sandysan

Not happy now, skeptical I will change my mind. We are out of the big Ufa's and to get bigger by trade we will likely have to move assets we should keep.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:57 PM
habs717
Rookie User

First time poster, frequent reader,

I will say yes, but unless Marc Bergevin does something trade wise, I cannot fathom him going into the 2013-2014 season with this lineup offensively, one of the smaller forwards have got to go, and we all know gallagher isn't going anywhere.

habs717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Cupmonger

Well, Briere does bring a scoring touch. He has some age on him, but I don't think that will slow him much. I don't expect him to put numbers like he did in his prime though. He'll help on the PP. And he's a playoff performer. The contract length is good and the value is decent.

Only real problems are his size, we have too many centers and let's hope he isn't too banged up by age and injuries.

If we manage to give him bigger wingers, everything should be fine. But we must get rid of DD and/or Gionta. We already needed wingers, so makeing some room with one or both of these two should help. Gionta might be tough to move with his NTC (and I'm hearing he's still recovering from surgery?).

It addresses a need. But we still need to fix the size/grit issue.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:10 PM
schumway2

The only thing that bothers me, is why did we trade Cole to get rid of his salary and turn around and give it to Briere? The net outcome is 500k savings for the next two years and Connor Crisp. I think I prefer Cole.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:10 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

surprised to see so many yes to be honest. guess the crying divas aren't as numerous as i expected - or some people have a funny sense of numore

voted no because:
1: **** him
2: don't need him
3: **** him
4: injury prone
5: **** him
6: **** him

but really, there's not that many other player to be gotten without some serious overpayment (say hello to clarkson and clowe) which GMMB is rightfully staying away from. and we don't really have any assets to go and trade for them so he status quo'ing the team and im fine with that for now. were not contenders now and no move would make us one, so blergh... it's stopgap.

it's a reasonable contract for a very short term so im not gonna go and ****ing cry about it, but im generally not happy with it, mostly because i think he's a b****. if he's still in one piece by the time the playoffs come around, im sure i'll be happy then

tl;dr big ****ing whoop, it's sunny, is 35 frickin' degrees, no smog anywhere; can't bring me down bros

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
The only thing that bothers me, is why did we trade Cole to get rid of his salary and turn around and give it to Briere? The net outcome is 500k savings for the next two years and Connor Crisp. I think I prefer Cole.
Cole played like **** all season. He had no more drive and it showed on ice. He barely backchecked and did little on the forecheck. With all the talk he was having of retiring during the lockout, it was showing in the season even though he said he didn't mean it anymore. He was actually wondering whether to play or not.

Briere actually does want to play.

While I do agree with every ranting on how this doesn't fix our size issues. I have to say that Briere will most likely be producing numbers we want, or at least for his contract. If anything, this guy's a work horse and doesn't give up.

This is all coming from a guy who hated Briere since he started in Buffalo. Tbh I still don't like him, but I respect his skills and what he can bring to the team.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:18 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs717 View Post
First time poster, frequent reader,

I will say yes, but unless Marc Bergevin does something trade wise, I cannot fathom him going into the 2013-2014 season with this lineup offensively, one of the smaller forwards have got to go, and we all know gallagher isn't going anywhere.
One? We should be subtracting from what we had last year, taking one out would leave it as status quo.

Btw welcome

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:22 PM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
No because he doesn't fill a need.
Yes it does, he replaces Ryder (or DD or Gionta, we will see). But he definitely replaces someone. Offensive depth is a huge part of what made this team good in the early season. He will provide this.

Bergevin doesn't get a player if it doesn't fill a need. Bergevin is smart, and evaluates the needs better than you.

If he gets 20 goals and 50 points this will be a good sign. By the way, Briere is clutch in the playoffs. Check out his stats.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:26 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Yes it does, he replaces Ryder. Offensive depth is a huge part of what made this team good in the early season. He will provide this.

Bergevin doesn't get a player if it doesn't fill a need. Bergevin is smart, and evaluates the needs better than you.
We're actually replacing Cole not Ryder, Ryder was just a guy used for the year to get rid of Cole who went downhill after the lockout, but ideal MB should be replace 2012 Erik Cole, a 6'2 wing who can score 25-30 goals and gives you 200 hits...

Old
07-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Yozzy

I love Briere, love this signing. Hoping Gio or DD are moved within a year or two, but I am a huge fan of MB right now.

Yozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:28 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Voted yes because this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Voted yes. We didn't lose any asset by acquiring him and his 2 years contract will not block us in any ways from re-signing players like Subban long-term. In fact, it will let us move some resources for other assets that will help us more. It's not like if we traded McDonagh to get him. I prefer to have an extra card up our sleeve, even if it's a weak one. He'll also fill a gap next year when we probably won't re-sign Gionta and that we might lack leadership in the locker room.

Again, 2 years is just the perfect length; worst case it's going to be a failed experience with no setback. Plus, I don't see ourselves getting some better player through free agency. Also, this is a stretch, but I really hope he could help Leblanc bounce back.

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Yozzy

Also,

Patches Briere Bourque

Nasty line. Love it.

Yozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozzy View Post
Also,

Patches Briere Bourque

Nasty line. Love it.
Briere Desharnais Gionta

Beat that!

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Yes 100% imo. Of course he is a small player, but we didn't lose anything for him, and he still has the ability to get solid points in this league. I expect 45-65 pts from him next year.

Edit: Plus he is a proven playoff performer with a ppg int he playoffs over his career. What we need imo.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:35 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
Briere Desharnais Gionta

Beat that!
With Bouillon Diaz on the backend..

Old
07-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Physical Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozzy View Post
I love Briere, love this signing. Hoping Gio or DD are moved within a year or two, but I am a huge fan of MB right now.

I believe the only player that has value right now is Plekanec. So unless we trade him for someone with size and scoring, i have trouble understanding How this makes us better next year.

Physical Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Miller Time

no

as a stand alone move, taking the risk on Briere for 4M$/per & 2 years isn't such a terrible thing.

in the context of our roster & team needs, the move makes little sense and unnecessarily ties up too much cap space on a player that is unlikely to have a significant impact for us.

would have preferred keeping Kristo (who i suspect is much closer to regular NHL role than Thomas is), signing a much cheaper reclamation/depth top-9 player, and keeping the cap room for a targeting a more significant piece.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Toro

No.....

I have no idea why he made this signing. I would not have given up our 4 mil cap space for another small forward.

I realize the players we targeted may be too expensive or whatever but i would have opted for us to stand pat and build from within and add at the trade deadline or during the season.

Hopefully Briere can bounce back and have a productive season but im not holding my breath.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote