HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tough being a Habs fan outside Quebec

Old
10-24-2006, 01:36 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

vCash: 500
I use to watch the habs games in French. My teacher at the time said watching French TV would help my French speaking too. Now that I've been out of French school I watch it mostly in English but if French is all thats available I watch and understand it.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Habitants

all i have to say is DAMN CBC and the stupid maple leafs!

even when the habs are on CBC, i dont get to watch, becasue they are only on in QC! i should get the choice! last year i had digital cable, and it was 7$ a month extra to get the french package that included RDS. i did not mind that. now i dont have digital cable, so i have found "alternative" methods of watching the habs games. i still find it bad that CBC is a maple leafs whor3.

i dont mind watching in french, as i am completely bilingual, but i still prefer to watch when the game is on TSN, i dont like the french announcers that much.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:46 PM
24cups1team

Send a message via MSN to 24cups1team
in a weird way its good that i dont get all 82 games cause if i did, with my hectic school life i'd be pretty screwwed for marks

24cups1team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:48 PM
oop007*

Dude. Do what all my friends @ McGill/Concordia do, watch it while doing your hw, look up at goals etc. Better then nothing, gets the homework done.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:51 PM
24cups1team

Send a message via MSN to 24cups1team
Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Dude. Do what all my friends @ McGill/Concordia do, watch it while doing your hw, look up at goals etc. Better then nothing, gets the homework done.
i cant do that...i have to watch the play all the time....

24cups1team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:53 PM
oop007*

Well come on man. It's your life vs a game. You can have a little of both, or you can sit bored and do HW with no hockey at all, know what I mean? Try to compromise. I know what you mean though, it's hard to look down. I personally probably would be the same way hahaha, but try it out.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 02:05 PM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
I dont care what broadcast i watch cuz usually i tune out the announcers, but try being a habs fan in central pennsylvania, ive been asked on more than once occasion what my jersey/hat/shirt means...

MassiveHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
the announcers cant annoy me when im watching RDS like they do when i watch in english. im sure they would if i understood them. if they constantly do brag up all the quebec born players playing for either team, to me that is just as bad as harry neal or bob cole.

the bigger problem to me is rds's availibility. i had to buy an expressvu reciever cause of starchoice not having it. i liked starchoices service better overall than expressvu. rain kills the reception in expressvu, it doesnt matter if its mid august or mid february.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Drive425

I agree, it's tough being a Habs fan in Toronto. I just can't keep my mouth shut when I'm watching a Leafs/Habs game at Don Cherry's or Shoeless Joe's. Just walking into a bar with a Habs jersy on those nights can get you into a fight sometimes. I'm happy to oblige though.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 03:01 PM
HabstuckinTO

This thread got me thinking, since I already have Bell Expressvu. I just signed up for RDS, and a few more French language throw-ins, for $5 per month. The French broadcasts don't bother me a bit, having watched/listened to many growing up in northern Ontario. On the rare occasions that I have the choice between a Saturday night game in English and one in French, it's always French for me. Bob Cole and Harry Neale are too brutal for words. Having said that, Cassie Campbell? I don't think so...

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 03:03 PM
HABSMANIA21*

I moved to Oshawa from Thunder Bay and got the digital box with rds and the french package. wow. Every reg season and playoff game used to be saturdays on src and whatever tsn or sportsnet might show.

I wonder how many people have rds outside quebec and maybe if lots do it will become a channel they put on regular cable or cable that doesnt inviolve digital.
viewership can decide these things.

If you have any thoughts on this subject maybe you could share them?

HABSMANIA21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
the announcers cant annoy me when im watching RDS like they do when i watch in english. im sure they would if i understood them. if they constantly do brag up all the quebec born players playing for either team, to me that is just as bad as harry neal or bob cole.

the bigger problem to me is rds's availibility. i had to buy an expressvu reciever cause of starchoice not having it. i liked starchoices service better overall than expressvu. rain kills the reception in expressvu, it doesnt matter if its mid august or mid february.
I used to have Starchoice and RDS is available. Channel 750. RIS was 749. RIS was a different package than RDS tho, because I didn't have the news.

Whenever a game is shown on both english and french, I stick to the french. Why should I go watch it in english when they can't be bothered to show me more than a handful of games a year. Besides, Bob Cole, Harry Neale, Greg Millen, Glen Healy and Pierre Maguire really annoy me. Cole and Neale for obvious homer reasons, plus Neale annoys me more with his phylosophies that he throws in all the time and when he says Sundin took a shot at 43' feet away. Millen and Healy don't like the Habs, and really show it. Millen just looks like a racist to me also. Not wanting to play in Quebec when he was traded there. And Maguire just comes off as a bitter loud mouth know-it-all with an ax to grind. Pedneault still annoys me in french, especially when he gets it in his head that he doesn't like a player (Zednick last year, every play that didn't work was his fault). But at least on the french channel, I can watch all 82 games. This way I don't have to worry about which channel to watch, just when the next game is.

Last edited by Mad Habber: 10-24-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 03:13 PM
snowrunner*

tell me about it...I am a hab fan in Oil Country....they just laugh at the Habs out here....the fans here think we were lucky to have won two cups in the last 26 years since the Oilers have been around....in some ways I guess we were, we have really sucked for the past 10 years....thats what drives me crazy, I used to love it when the Oilers were struggling during the 90's when money was everything, but now that everyone is on a level playing field, Here comes the Oilers again!!!

snowrunner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
I used to have Starchoice and RDS is available. Channel 750. RIS was 749. RIS was a different package than RDS tho, because I didn't have the news.
is that the oval starchoice dish? i had the circular one and they told me to get the elliptical one to get rds. getting a new expressvu was cheaper so i did that. is rds available on the round starchoices dishes now?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote