HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ray Emery has signed a 1-yr deal for $1.65m. Will wear #29. (updates in post #1)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2013, 10:38 PM
  #51
Fresh34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Emery has to be the best option right now

Thomas is 39 and just took a year off

Nabby, I never liked anyway and is also old. And this team doesn't need another Russian headcase.

Halak will cost a good bit and he's not even that good

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:57 PM
  #52
onlylordsvsmorebp
grossmansmash
 
onlylordsvsmorebp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
also i really wish we got chicago goalie coach stephane waite in package deal-now THAT would be an upgrade.

onlylordsvsmorebp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:45 PM
  #53
3Fs
Registered User
 
3Fs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp View Post
also i really wish we got chicago goalie coach stephane waite in package deal-now THAT would be an upgrade.
Spot on

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:58 PM
  #54
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,710
vCash: 500
I love a good retread!

Nothing like reliving past mistakes over and over and over again.

It's a shame we had to settle for Lecavalier and couldn't coax Forsberg or Lindros out of retirement.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:12 AM
  #55
Fresh34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I love a good retread!

Nothing like reliving past mistakes over and over and over again.

It's a shame we had to settle for Lecavalier and couldn't coax Forsberg or Lindros out of retirement.
Talk about a miserable fan

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:36 AM
  #56
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I love a good retread!

Nothing like reliving past mistakes over and over and over again.

It's a shame we had to settle for Lecavalier and couldn't coax Forsberg or Lindros out of retirement.
How was Emery a mistake? He played well, but got hurt. If he stays healthy, we probably win the cup that year.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:21 AM
  #57
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,381
vCash: 500
I hope we sign razor. I dread us signing a guy like Nabokov or Ellis.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:56 AM
  #58
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
How was Emery a mistake? He played well, but got hurt. If he stays healthy, we probably win the cup that year.
"If". That's an interesting word, because it means that everything after it didn't actually come true.

I never said signing Emery the first time was a bad idea, but it did turn out to be a mistake and it did cost us dearly. I guess you can't blame the franchise for the signing, but I'm mystified as to how our team physicians didn't happen to notice a hip in such horrendous shape when giving Emery his physical...

Anyway, my point was that this is yet another retread (the Flyers' way: bringing back former players) and it's bringing back a guy who wasn't all that great for us the first time (due to injury) and a guy who is totally unproven as an NHL starter (post surgery) or even as a guy in a strict timeshare.

Ray Emery has played 65 games TOTAL in the last 3 years and you think it's a good idea to sign him with the intention of potentially being our starter?!? What could possibly go wrong there? His hip hasn't been tested at all over the grind of true starter's workload. Heck, he hasn't even been tested YET in a true 50-50 timeshare where he plays 40+ games in a season. But who am I kidding, I'm sure this gamble will work out fabulously... just like all the other moves we've made involving goalies for the past 15 years.

On top of the injury issues and the fact that his hip is totally untested in a 50-50 timeshare, let alone a starter's workload, there's the fact that his stats aren't really that great. Sure he's a feel good story, but his save percentages are less than those of Corey Crawford over the last 2 years: The same Corey Crawford who NOBODY considers to be an elite starter, the same Crawford who Hawks fans wanted benched several times this season and even in these playoffs.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:07 AM
  #59
sg12lw
Registered User
 
sg12lw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
crawford = average goalie

emery = back up to crawford

both just won a cup bc chicago is the best team in the league

neither are that great

if were going to go with two average goalies for our tandem, might as well get someone cheaper than emery

i still say take the risk on thomas, but who knows what happens at this point

im excited for tomorrow i know that

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:37 AM
  #60
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 500
Anyone who wants Thomas probably hates Obama, and was endeared to him with the whole fiasco. To you Canadian flyers fans who want Thomas: how often do you ride unicorns?

This guy is OLD, and he ain't Marty.. DO NOT WANT. I want to win games

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:03 AM
  #61
tsquad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
"If". That's an interesting word, because it means that everything after it didn't actually come true.

I never said signing Emery the first time was a bad idea, but it did turn out to be a mistake and it did cost us dearly. I guess you can't blame the franchise for the signing, but I'm mystified as to how our team physicians didn't happen to notice a hip in such horrendous shape when giving Emery his physical...

Anyway, my point was that this is yet another retread (the Flyers' way: bringing back former players) and it's bringing back a guy who wasn't all that great for us the first time (due to injury) and a guy who is totally unproven as an NHL starter (post surgery) or even as a guy in a strict timeshare.

Ray Emery has played 65 games TOTAL in the last 3 years and you think it's a good idea to sign him with the intention of potentially being our starter?!? What could possibly go wrong there? His hip hasn't been tested at all over the grind of true starter's workload. Heck, he hasn't even been tested YET in a true 50-50 timeshare where he plays 40+ games in a season. But who am I kidding, I'm sure this gamble will work out fabulously... just like all the other moves we've made involving goalies for the past 15 years.

On top of the injury issues and the fact that his hip is totally untested in a 50-50 timeshare, let alone a starter's workload, there's the fact that his stats aren't really that great. Sure he's a feel good story, but his save percentages are less than those of Corey Crawford over the last 2 years: The same Corey Crawford who NOBODY considers to be an elite starter, the same Crawford who Hawks fans wanted benched several times this season and even in these playoffs.
Who do you suggest instead?

tsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:07 AM
  #62
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 500
Just like having to place "Flyers are not in cap hell" at the top of every one of our new player acquisition threads, we need to place " EMERY NOT EXPECTED TO BE STARTER AND PLAY 60 GAMES" at the top of his thread if he's signed. In big bold colorful letters with Christmas lights flashing all around it. My god. You would think with all the info this site provides, people would actually read and learn something before spewing their garbage. Even on our own page!!! LMAO

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:22 AM
  #63
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Yeah, regardless of what happens, I think Mason is the 1A and whoever we get is 1B.

Some people seem to think that if we sign Thomas or Emery, or trade for Halak, that we're going to be riding them for 60+ games. Nothing could be further from the truth.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:41 AM
  #64
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,617
vCash: 6115
Looking forward to see how much Holmgren out-bid himself. Still think the best avenue is via trade.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:44 AM
  #65
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Looking forward to see how much Holmgren out-bid himself. Still think the best avenue is via trade.
Unless you're trading Meszaros or futures for Halak or something, our team becomes worse if you make a trade.

I would not be willing to give up roster players outside of Meszaros for basically anything that doesn't upgrade our team now. I don't consider a 1B goaltender a worthy upgrade compared to what we could get on the FA market.

Sure, it's not on the same scale as the Couturier for Yandle vs. mid-round pick for Streit deal, but the principle is the same.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:47 AM
  #66
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder
 
NitHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Looking forward to see how much Holmgren out-bid himself. Still think the best avenue is via trade.
Meh....Miller would be for 1 year and would cost an asset. Halak isn't markedly better then Emery and costs an asset. Schneider and Bernier were the guys worth trading for.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:47 AM
  #67
JustJim
Registered User
 
JustJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paignton,UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Ill take him with open arms
Me too! Definitely more than Thomas!!

JustJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:48 AM
  #68
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,617
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Unless you're trading Meszaros or futures for Halak or something, our team becomes worse if you make a trade.

I would not be willing to give up roster players outside of Meszaros for basically anything that doesn't upgrade our team now. I don't consider a 1B goaltender a worthy upgrade compared to what we could get on the FA market.

Sure, it's not on the same scale as the Couturier for Yandle vs. mid-round pick for Streit deal, but the principle is the same.
Meszaros and/or futures is about what I'm looking for. Especially since Couturier for Yandle is asinine. Halak wouldn't be a 1B, because Mason isn't any kind of 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Meh....Miller would be for 1 year and would cost an asset. Halak isn't markedly better then Emery and costs an asset. Schneider and Bernier were the guys worth trading for.
Halak? Yes he is. Injury risk is roughly the same, and he has better numbers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:51 AM
  #69
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Meszaros and/or futures is about what I'm looking for. Especially since Couturier for Yandle is asinine. Halak wouldn't be a 1B, because Mason isn't any kind of 1.
Mason will come with a "1" designation in some way, shape, or form this season. That's just something people will have to live with around here.

That said, he's better than Leighton, and if the transitive property means anything to the people around here, he's also better than Bryzgalov.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:51 AM
  #70
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Unless I'm totally off on the contract he will get, I think emery is definitely the best move of at least the UFA goalies.

Nabakov is awful. I'll puke if we get him. Thomas might be too much of a question mark and/or distraction.

It's possible there is a better trade option out there (Halak), but it's tough to say without knowing the asking price.

I hope homer has learned a thing or two about fixing the goalie position after all of his stumbles. It's very unlikely that you will get a top 10 goalie on a reasonable contract from the UFA market. It's also really hard to trade for an established one. His strategy should be to obtain as many Mason-type guys as possible. Guys that are cheap to obtain but still have a lot of upside. Same thing for the UFA market.

I still wish they would have made a play for Bernier. He seemed like the perfect guy to target at a reasonable price

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:53 AM
  #71
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I still wish they would have made a play for Bernier. He seemed like the perfect guy to target at a reasonable price
A top 10 pick is outside the bounds of "reasonable price" for any goalie. Bernier is no exception.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:54 AM
  #72
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
"If". That's an interesting word, because it means that everything after it didn't actually come true.

I never said signing Emery the first time was a bad idea, but it did turn out to be a mistake and it did cost us dearly. I guess you can't blame the franchise for the signing, but I'm mystified as to how our team physicians didn't happen to notice a hip in such horrendous shape when giving Emery his physical...


Anyway, my point was that this is yet another retread (the Flyers' way: bringing back former players) and it's bringing back a guy who wasn't all that great for us the first time (due to injury) and a guy who is totally unproven as an NHL starter (post surgery) or even as a guy in a strict timeshare.

Ray Emery has played 65 games TOTAL in the last 3 years and you think it's a good idea to sign him with the intention of potentially being our starter?!? What could possibly go wrong there? His hip hasn't been tested at all over the grind of true starter's workload. Heck, he hasn't even been tested YET in a true 50-50 timeshare where he plays 40+ games in a season. But who am I kidding, I'm sure this gamble will work out fabulously... just like all the other moves we've made involving goalies for the past 15 years.

On top of the injury issues and the fact that his hip is totally untested in a 50-50 timeshare, let alone a starter's workload, there's the fact that his stats aren't really that great. Sure he's a feel good story, but his save percentages are less than those of Corey Crawford over the last 2 years: The same Corey Crawford who NOBODY considers to be an elite starter, the same Crawford who Hawks fans wanted benched several times this season and even in these playoffs.
How do you know his hip was in bad shape when he signed the first time? Seems you're just making assumptions, so if you're wrong in your assumption the signing wasn't a mistake.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:55 AM
  #73
JoeFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Yeah, regardless of what happens, I think Mason is the 1A and whoever we get is 1B.

Some people seem to think that if we sign Thomas or Emery, or trade for Halak, that we're going to be riding them for 60+ games. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Mason should at least get the chance to show what he can do this year so signing Emery to a long term deal (5 years???) at $3.5m or whatever seems entirely counterproductive. If Mason turns out to be able to keep putting up the good performances then he becomes no.1, we offer him a new deal and Emery as backup is costing us far too much for far too long.

Not only that but Mason's numbers for us, without credible defence (in only 7 games admittedly), were better than Emery's (in 21) for the best team in the league. Neither played enough games to to warrent faith as the next no.1 but that's why Mason got a pay cut and a one year deal... Paying Emery more than double for a considerable amount of years is baffling.

Personally I take Thomas on a short deal, then Khudobin (who has always been good but, again, not enough games to justify no.1) on a similar short deal (overpay if you must) , after that take whatever's left and go with Mason as your no.1.

Essentially, I think whoever comes in has to be on a short deal, otherwise we're just getting ready to shoot ourselves in the foot...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:57 AM
  #74
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
If I remember correctly, his hip was going through necrosis and basically the tissue was dying.

If nobody saw it coming through his entire life, you can't expect the Flyers' medical staff to rush in and go, "Well we better run Emery through some tests to see if his hips are literally dying of this rare disease that pretty much nobody has."

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:57 AM
  #75
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,969
vCash: 500
As long as it's only a 2 (maybe 3) year deal with a reasonable cap hit ~$2.5m, I really don't know how you could be upset with signing Emery. What other options are out there? Thomas? I like Thomas, but if he wants more than a year, no way. Dipietro? Khabiboulin? Theodore? Nabokov? You could make an argument for Khudobin, but you really have no idea what you're going to get with him.

I swear to god, there are some miserable fans on here that will complain about any move we make unless it guarentees us a cup, and since no move does that, you'll ***** about everything this team does all the time.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.