HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
But there you would be wrong. Horcoff performed what his coaches asked of him fairly well.

Trading Horcoff has made the Oilers worse.
Congrats, you are one of two people who think that.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
But there you would be wrong. Horcoff performed what his coaches asked of him fairly well.

Trading Horcoff has made the Oilers worse.
GOT LARSEN, 6'0" 200lbs RHD 23 years old and a late pick , plus 5.5 M cap space.

in return hfor horcoff when both parties needed to go seperate ways to remain healthy.

WOW.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rosemount289

Have to agree.........!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
You are persistent as hell in trying to put a negative spin on everything aren't you?

Yes, this trade is indicative of a clear, unsullied, pure success. If we are grading him on his moves up to this point and assuming that there will be more to come, his summer has been a success.

He has:
-Grabbed a highly sought after and highly regarded Head Coach to begin his own tenure as GM.
-Signed the KHL defenseman of the year to a cheap contract without giving up a single asset.
-Drafted Nurse, who at absolute WORST was the second best option, and had way less question marks then the alternative.
-Turned 1 pick into 5, and grabbed a couple quality Russian sleepers with two of those who have relationships with our young superstar.
-Turned a bloated contract attached to a valueless player into cap space without giving up any additional assets or taking on anything debilitating himself.

Those are all successes. We are in a better position now than we were when he started. You can make assumptions of what was possible for him to do other than these moves, but you have no idea what the actual options were so this is what you have to grade him on. Based on all those moves, I have confidence he will continue to make more good ones.

Don't bother turning it into an argument, you just made the ignore list.

edit: shogun99, apparently we're on the same page

Have to say that Mac T has done more in four months than Tambellini did in four years and the week is not over........!!!

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:25 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
OMG we have to give Mac-T some serious points today for getting Dallas to eat his contract!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:28 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Is it looking like a success now? Just asking because of the timing of your post.

What is unloading horc really accomplished? Are we better now?
considering we didnt retain any cap... thus wwe have 5.5 to play with

AND

WE GOT A NHL RHD in Larsen.

Yup

Better now.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 50
Put me in the MacT did well today camp.

Moved a boat anchor contract without taking on any salary.

Brought in an NHL ready dman with a reasonable contract.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
considering we didnt retain any cap... thus wwe have 5.5 to play with

AND

WE GOT A NHL RHD in Larsen.

Yup

Better now.
Good enough to dispose of that horrible avatar? Did you lose a bet?

Most Oiler fans would find that offensive.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Verdadero
Rookie User

Getting rid of Horcoff for cap space is only good if you can actually use that cap space to fill his slot with a better player. Get ready to be disappointed as nobody with the character or ability that the Oilers want is going to sign with a team led by Lowe/Howson/MacTavish. Only UFA options will be overpays (Souray), over the hill (Belanger and Bulin) or damaged good (Eager). Just traded captain and best veteran center for nothing, got nothing but more picks at the draft when they needed real NHL players, and alienated a decent starting goalie. Quite the week for the rookie GM whose motto seems to be "talk big and carry a twig".

Verdadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:04 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
Getting rid of Horcoff for cap space is only good if you can actually use that cap space to fill his slot with a better player. Get ready to be disappointed as nobody with the character or ability that the Oilers want is going to sign with a team led by Lowe/Howson/MacTavish. Only UFA options will be overpays (Souray), over the hill (Belanger and Bulin) or damaged good (Eager). Just traded captain and best veteran center for nothing, got nothing but more picks at the draft when they needed real NHL players, and alienated a decent starting goalie. Quite the week for the rookie GM whose motto seems to be "talk big and carry a twig".

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Lets see, he signed one of the KHLs top Dmen, upgraded our coaching, didn't make any stupid trades at the draft and convinced someone to take Horcoff at full salary. Great job so far. Now lets see what free agent day brings.
I missed this one tbh. Which player?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:10 AM
xlnc66

Quote:
I missed this one tbh. Which player?
Belov

xlnc66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Belov
Thanks

I had no idea he was ranked highly in KHL. Not much I've seen on this here. Some threads flip through so fast its easy to miss them though.

Where would you say he projects in our D lineup

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:37 AM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Thanks

I had no idea he was ranked highly in KHL. Not much I've seen on this here. Some threads flip through so fast its easy to miss them though.

He'll probably start out on the third pairing, on the left behind Smid and NSchultz although he can supposedly play both sides. He could quickly move up to the second pairing or down to the press box, depending on how well he adjusts to the North American game.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:46 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Thanks

You should check out some of the highlight reels and scouting reports that were posted here when he was acquired. He looks like a real gem just entering his prime, and one with a helluva toolbox. The history of players like him who came over to the NHL late in their career and flopped is long, so I think expectations are being held to reasonable levels, but he should make the team and I don't think many would be flabbergasted if he's playing in the Top 4 (and playing well) by Christmas.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I am the Liquor

Kudos to Mact for shedding the Horcoff contract and moving him along and opening the door for the youth to take over leadership of the team.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Didn't he say something like "we're not at a point where we can afford to move Horcoff and not get something substantial in return". ... Anyway, is a bottom pairing d-man and a 7th round pick "substantial"?

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Didn't he say something like "we're not at a point where we can afford to move Horcoff and not get something substantial in return". ... Anyway, is a bottom pairing d-man and a 7th round pick "substantial"?
At the time he was not at that point.
Today he was at that point.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:22 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I dont recall him saying that about Horcoff or Hemsky. He was talking about the "core" guys when he said the return had to be "substantial". He only said it was time to move Horcoff and Hemsky along. They were tired/worn out from all the losing and they deserved a chance to move on to another team.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Today definitely has MacT trending up - I hope tomorrow we get to see a bigger picture

We need a Dman- a few wingers and two centers... it's a lot. Hopefully we prey on cap strapped teams and acquire some veterans

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:34 AM
oilinblood

It would be insane to think of getting "substantial return" for a 5.5M cap hit 3/4 C who plays soft.

no offence to Horc but any sane person, even excluding the fact the cap is dropping, knows this is as good as it gets for that return.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:40 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Good enough to dispose of that horrible avatar? Did you lose a bet?

Most Oiler fans would find that offensive.
as long as we dont go into "tard" mode tomorrow, the 'tar will be likely changed this weekend.

if offended i suggest those people dont look, or move to a country not practicing free speech, expression. I am not here to appease you.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont recall him saying that about Horcoff or Hemsky. He was talking about the "core" guys when he said the return had to be "substantial". He only said it was time to move Horcoff and Hemsky along. They were tired/worn out from all the losing and they deserved a chance to move on to another team.
I couldn't exactly remember the context, but clearly moving one of the young guys would require a substantial return; and more than Boston got for Sequin. How pissed would we be if we traded Hall for Erikson and spare parts.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:46 AM
oilexport

never in 5.5 million years did I think that we could get anything for Horc, he is a marginal 3rd line center with a bigger type contract. Our Team got worse today because we have nothing at Center but we should be able to get a better one with less money very easily.

Horc has very diminished play. He is useless. Our Team needed a new Captain.

Mac-T....G.M. of the year, he is winning me over...so far

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:47 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
I couldn't exactly remember the context, but clearly moving one of the young guys would require a substantial return; and more than Boston got for Sequin. How pissed would we be if we traded Hall for Erikson and spare parts.
big difference between trying to build around the 21 year old star and trying to have the star support a veteran team with a demanding coach.

Good trade for the B's. The Oilers are in an entire different world of need. Morrow was a nice piece as well. Chia is doing a great job in Boston.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:52 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Pissed, but Hall is not Seguin. Just felt the need to respond in the off-chance you were suggesting that Eriksson was not substantial.

That guy is great. Seriously, seriously great. The difference between him and any of our players right now is not substantial. The reason we need to hang on to our Halls and Eberles and RNHs is for what we hope they will be. We need some trifectas to come in.

Boston is in a completely different situation. They didn't get much of a devalued return on Seguin - pretty much at any time in Seguin's NHL career, if he could be flipped for Eriksson (esp. Eriksson on *that* contract), it would be at worse an even trade. Eriksson is not a player that's going to make or break your franchise - like a Toews - but he's absolutely a player that's going to put it over the top, like a Hossa.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote