HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards' future on the NYR

View Poll Results: Keep or Buyout?
Retain his services 16 12.21%
Exercise the buyout 115 87.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2013, 01:54 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
I know people don't want to hear this but in a full season Richards would have had a projected 61 points based on last years pace. That's a little short for a #1C but that's still very good.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:01 AM
JC704

vCash: 500
My problem with Richards is that even though the production didn't fall off a cliff, everything else he does on the ice just seems sub-par. His skating is solid, but he doesn't forecheck well enough, nor was he better than Stepan this season at setting up other players. He was below-average to bad at times on the PP and just looked one play behind when I watched him play.

The stuff about being "mentally weak" is a load of crap though. He won a Conn Smythe in Tampa and made Dallas an incredibly respectable team despite being in perpetual transition for the last 5-7 years or so. He's a tough guy and legitimately took his struggles last year to heart.

I just think in the end it's about putting the best team on the ice and I think Richards' 45-60 points this season combined with his overall play will pale in comparison to Stepan's emergence as this team's #1 and Brassard's potential. It's all about value and Stepan and Brassard, from what we've seen in a small sample size provide better value for this team moving forward.

JC704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Richards is still a quality top-6 center. Had we bought him out, we'd replace him with a worse player for similar money on a longer contract. That said, we should still buy him out next year because he will be 34 years old and by then hopefully Lindberg, Miller (if he's still a center) or possibly even St. Croix may develop into a quality top-9 center behind Step and Brass, who themselves need another year to prove they can be #1 and #2 centers.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Richards is still a quality top-6 center.
Totally disagree

Quote:
Had we bought him out, we'd replace him with a worse player for similar money on a longer contract.
Had we bought him out, we'd replace him with someone making at least $6.667 million per year for MORE than an eight year contract?

Difficult to put into words how bizarre this statement is...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:07 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Why you should be happy Brad Richards is a Ranger today

Here is why not buying out Brad Richards is a positive.

Point 1: Look at some of the idiocy going on today with money flying around, and we haven't even seen what Clarkson and Iginla will get. We have seen repeatedly that Sather writes checks like a drunken sailor on the 1st day of free agency. Because of the Richards contract, he's not able to do that.

Point 2: Without the ability to sign people to these insane deals, we will be forced to promote from within. We're constantly talking about spots for Chris Kreider and JT Miller and promoting Oscar Lindberg and Jesper Fast and Dylan McIlrath and the litany of kids we have in the system that don't get a shot to play. This forces us to give the kids an honest look, and see what we have, as opposed to continually bringing in the Taylor Pyatt's and Arron Asham's of the world. Because of the Richards contract, he's not able to do that.

Point 3: If Sather did cut bait on Richards into this weak free agent pool and make signings, we would have very little chance to rid ourselves of the contracts next year, when we have Callahan and Lundqvist, among a few others, needing new deals. If he went out there and used the Richards money on 2-3 guys the way Holmgren is using the Bryzgalov/Briere money, we would be strapped when we need the money the most. Because of the Richards contract, he's not able to do that.

Point 4: Richards could actually bounce back and have a good season this year, allowing Stepan to continue to mature into the 1C role, Brassard into the 2C role, and the idea that the 3rd center is Miller or one of the other kids when Richards is bought out next year. Having Richards here allows some semblance of patience when it comes to making sure the right prospects/young players are getting the right amount of play at the right time. Because of the Richards contract, he's not able to do that.

Thank you Brad Richards, for about 12 months, then you're out of here. But, today, thanks!

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain9nyr View Post
Thank you Brad Richards, for about 12 months, then you're out of here. But, today, thanks!
As long as he's not hurt...

I don't disagree with your other points though.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:15 PM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

Quote:
Here is why not buying out Brad Richards is a positive.

Point 1: Look at some of the idiocy going on today with money flying around, and we haven't even seen what Clarkson and Iginla will get. We have seen repeatedly that Sather writes checks like a drunken sailor on the 1st day of free agency. Because of the Richards contract, he's not able to do that.

Point 2: Without the ability to sign people to these insane deals, we will be forced to promote from within. We're constantly talking about spots for Chris Kreider and JT Miller and promoting Oscar Lindberg and Jesper Fast and Dylan McIlrath and the litany of kids we have in the system that don't get a shot to play. This forces us to give the kids an honest look, and see what we have, as opposed to continually bringing in the Taylor Pyatt's and Arron Asham's of the world. Because of the Richards contract, he's not able to do that.

Point 3: If Sather did cut bait on Richards into this weak free agent pool and make signings, we would have very little chance to rid ourselves of the contracts next year, when we have Callahan and Lundqvist, among a few others, needing new deals. If he went out there and used the Richards money on 2-3 guys the way Holmgren is using the Bryzgalov/Briere money, we would be strapped when we need the money the most. Because of the Richards contract, he's not able to do that.

Point 4: Richards could actually bounce back and have a good season this year, allowing Stepan to continue to mature into the 1C role, Brassard into the 2C role, and the idea that the 3rd center is Miller or one of the other kids when Richards is bought out next year. Having Richards here allows some semblance of patience when it comes to making sure the right prospects/young players are getting the right amount of play at the right time. Because of the Richards contract, he's not able to do that.

Thank you Brad Richards, for about 12 months, then you're out of here. But, today, thanks!All of these are assuming Sather is REALLY dumb and that Gorton or whoever have nothing to do with Free Agency.
I'm pretty positive Sather wouldn't have thrown money @ Clarkson or any other UFAs.

And you are forgetting one huge negative of keeping Richards, injury risk.

This is just blind Sather hatred.

KreidertheGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:20 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

I think keeping Richards this year is up there amongst the worst moves Sather has ever made. Even IF (IF IF IF) Richards miraculously can put up 60 points next year, it's terrible. Here's why:

-Richards has already won a cup/Conn Smythe, has already gotten paid, and already knows he'll be getting bought out next summer. What incentive does he have to compete? How many ****s can we expect this guy to give, who's achieved everything a hockey player could ever achieve in the NHL?

-We have a complete logjam at C. Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Boyle, Miller. So many of us are keen on letting this team contend with Stepan as our 1C. Fine.. in that case you buy out Richards, free up a ton of cap space to sign a talented winger which we desperately need after the Gaborik trade and you're left with Stepan, Brassard, Miller, Boyle up the middle. Could have then signed Briere/Horton or any of the other plethora of forwards that were in arguably the deepest UFA class in 10 years. What our top 6 will likely be going into the season:

Richards, Callahan, Nash, Hagelin, Stepan, Zuccarello/Kreider

what it could have been had we bought out Richards:

Horton/Briere, Callahan, Nash, Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarello/Kreider

The rest of the East is LOADING UP and we're standing pat doing nothing at all. See: Scuderi to PIT, Horton to CBJ, Alfie to DET. If I'm Hank, why would I resign here when the rest of the conference is loading up? Does this group really expect to win with what we've got? Our forward core outside of maybe 4 or 5 players is atrocious.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I know people don't want to hear this but in a full season Richards would have had a projected 61 points based on last years pace. That's a little short for a #1C but that's still very good.
We do all know that. There was a quality problem with his points, though, not a quantity one.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Richards picked up his game late in the season when it mattered. The last 20 or so games, he was by no means a dominant force, but he was setting up plays and getting points.

He's always been a streaky player. He hit a wall in the postseason, which is why the buyout business accelerated.

Bottom line -- cap or no cap -- the Rangers are a better team and a tougher matchup with Stepan-Brassard-Richards up the middle. It's AV's job to help him find his game again.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Pizza

Richards really surprised me this year with how bad he was. Also with how he handled it. More surprised with that if anything. That said, if there was one guy I would guess could bounce back from an awful season it would be Brad Richards. This will be interesting.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Richards really surprised me this year with how bad he was. Also with how he handled it. More surprised with that if anything. That said, if there was one guy I would guess could bounce back from an awful season it would be Brad Richards. This will be interesting.
I would pick 10 guys over him. Hundreds league wide.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:10 PM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Richards picked up his game late in the season when it mattered. The last 20 or so games, he was by no means a dominant force, but he was setting up plays and getting points.
He was decent, but definitely not worth $6.7m. We could've use that money to sign a UFA winger or make a trade for a young top 6 winger.

Quote:
He's always been a streaky player. He hit a wall in the postseason, which is why the buyout business accelerated.
He was disgusting in the playoffs. Sat in the press box for 2 elimination games.

Quote:
Bottom line -- cap or no cap -- the Rangers are a better team and a tougher matchup with Stepan-Brassard-Richards up the middle.
Debatable. I would rather have Lindberg as a 3C than Richards. His game translates to bottom 6 much more than BR. And the difference of salary between Lindberg and Richards could have gotten us a good LW to improve our offense.

Quote:
It's AV's job to help him find his game again.
I 100% guarantee BR won't find his game again unless AV spoon feeds him offensive minutes.(Not out of the question). BR's point total would have been atrocious if he didn't have that lucky streak at the end of the season against bottom feeders.

Tell me this isn't one of the most undeserved hat tricks you've ever seen:

KreidertheGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I would pick 10 guys over him. Hundreds league wide.
It's safe to assume that you are not a member of the Brad Richards fan club. ; ) We'll see Atoz.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
we dont need the cap room. cap will go up to 70 mil+.

we'll have plenty of space.
Thats not the point. Eventually we WILL need the cap room in the next 5 years of his contract....

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Vitto79

why is this a conversation? Richards is obviously gone on a buyout next yr. Only reason he's around is because they would had to overspend today on another option

They need to sign Lundqvist ,Callahan , Girardi so he's a goner next yr even if he gets 100 pts

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Rangers1135

Is he still gonna wear the "A"?

Rangers1135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:46 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC704 View Post
My problem with Richards is that even though the production didn't fall off a cliff, everything else he does on the ice just seems sub-par. His skating is solid, but he doesn't forecheck well enough, nor was he better than Stepan this season at setting up other players. He was below-average to bad at times on the PP and just looked one play behind when I watched him play.

The stuff about being "mentally weak" is a load of crap though. He won a Conn Smythe in Tampa and made Dallas an incredibly respectable team despite being in perpetual transition for the last 5-7 years or so. He's a tough guy and legitimately took his struggles last year to heart.

I just think in the end it's about putting the best team on the ice and I think Richards' 45-60 points this season combined with his overall play will pale in comparison to Stepan's emergence as this team's #1 and Brassard's potential. It's all about value and Stepan and Brassard, from what we've seen in a small sample size provide better value for this team moving forward.
Agreed. I've mentioned before that with Richards, the issue is not production. He will always find a way to put up points even if he is playing poorly. In addition to what you said, he also made a ton of turnovers and his decision-making was off. I don't think his skating was particularly good, but then again, that's never been a strength of his.

I'm assuming he'll show up to camp in better shape than he did this past year, so hopefully his skating will improve and he won't be huffing and puffing after every shift. But if he doesn't make smarter decisions with the puck, it's going to be very hard for him to "bounce back."

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:29 AM
free0717

If we would have bought out Brad, We could have had Ryder and Tom Gilbert. Ryder would pot 25-30 goals, and Gilbert is the RH Defenseman who is decent on the PP. And we still would have $$$ left over.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:21 AM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Richards is still a quality top-6 center.
True, he is one of the six best centers on the team.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
Tell me this isn't one of the most undeserved hat tricks you've ever seen:

It's not. It's the most undeserved hat trick I've ever seen.

Would anyone rather have had Mikhail Grabovski ‎ for half Richards money?

Old
07-06-2013, 05:00 PM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

The best part about that hat trick video is Joe laughing after it happens

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

I read somewhere, that a possible reason behind not buying Richards out is, to re-sign our RFA's with less cap space, basically forcing them to agree to cheaper deals. If Richards was bought out, they could all ask for the jackpot, during negotiations.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
I read somewhere, that a possible reason behind not buying Richards out is, to re-sign our RFA's with less cap space, basically forcing them to agree to cheaper deals. If Richards was bought out, they could all ask for the jackpot, during negotiations.
Ridiculous.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Ridiculous.
Kinda make sense. But i doubt that was the sole reason. Maybe a small factor.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote