HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
I actually think we should've made a push for Seguin, but oh well. You can party in Edmonton, but it's not as crazy as out East I think and he'd get over it after maturing.

Mac T did good by clearing out Horcoff, but now the hard begins in actually bringing in players that can contribute and help the team. We've been able to clear "house" several times already.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:00 AM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I actually think we should've made a push for Seguin, but oh well. You can party in Edmonton, but it's not as crazy as out East I think and he'd get over it after maturing.

Mac T did good by clearing out Horcoff, but now the hard begins in actually bringing in players that can contribute and help the team. We've been able to clear "house" several times already.
Grabovski is a much better center and we could get him for horcoff money, several others as well. I don't get why Dallas made this deal, they are getting a very diminished talent.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:02 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
Grabovski is a much better center and we could get him for horcoff money, several others as well. I don't get why Dallas made this deal, they are getting a very diminished talent.
The difference is that Horcoff was had $4 million and $3 million left on his contract. Grabovski had four years of $5 million plus left on his contract. If Dallas wanted him, the could have picked up his contract from waivers for free... and they didn't.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:04 AM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
The difference is that Horcoff was had $4 million and $3 million left on his contract. Grabovski had four years of $5 million plus left on his contract. If Dallas wanted him, the could have picked up his contract from waivers for free... and they didn't.
I speaking of Grabovski as a Free agent now, I would have not taken that contract as well. What do you think he will get now as a free agent ?

Old
07-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Verdadero
Rookie User

[QUOTE=GreatKeith [/QUOTE]

We'll see tomorrow after they fail to replace Horcoff and sign a couple desperate over the hill guys & fringe players while owner pockets the cash. They go into the season at least $10 million under cap. No legit UFAs sign with Oilers. Name 1 in the last 20 years beside Souray and didn't that turn out swell

Verdadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:07 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
We'll see tomorrow after they fail to replace Horcoff and overpay a couple over the hill guys & fringe players while the owner pockets the cash. No legit UFAs sign with Oilers. Name 1 in the last 20 years beside Souray and didn't that turn out swell

Umm... Justin Schultz was probably one of the most significant UFA signings in the last few years. 30 teams were after him.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:09 AM
oilexport

Quote:
We'll see tomorrow after they fail to replace Horcoff and overpay a couple over the hill guys & fringe players while the owner pockets the cash. No legit UFAs sign with Oilers. Name 1 in the last 20 years beside Souray and didn't that turn out swell
you don't need a legit player to replace Horc, he became useless. Andropov would be better and cost less money.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:10 AM
Wretched Oil

Quote:
We'll see tomorrow after they fail to replace Horcoff and sign a couple desperate over the hill guys & fringe players while owner pockets the cash. They go into the season at least $10 million under cap. No legit UFAs sign with Oilers. Name 1 in the last 20 years beside Souray and didn't that turn out swell
Well I guess the odds are in their favour!

Wretched Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:10 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
I speaking of Grabovski as a Free agent now, I would have not taken that contract as well. What do you think he will get now as a free agent ?
It really relates to what role he's going to play. Is he a genuine second line centre? If so, is he better or worse than Bozak who is asking for near $5 million per year?

If the Oilers didn't sign gagner, then I could see the Oilers have interest in him as a 2nd line centre for Yakupov.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:15 AM
B A T M A N*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

We don't have an Eriksson to trade away though. They'd want one of the big 4, and I don't think it's worth it. Not to mention they also got Joe Morrow. So we'd have to give up Klefbom, Nurse, or Marincin.

B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:16 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Ditching Hofcoff for nothing is a huge WIN. Like MacT so far but tomorrow is a big day.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:19 AM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
It really relates to what role he's going to play. Is he a genuine second line centre? If so, is he better or worse than Bozak who is asking for near $5 million per year?

If the Oilers didn't sign gagner, then I could see the Oilers have interest in him as a 2nd line centre for Yakupov.
That thought has crossed my mind too ! Gagner is too soft and had a good year (contract year) but how many people on this site complained about his play for a few years now. Even this year, he sucked a lot of times. The problem with him is if he's not going 110%, he is bad.

Not to change the subject with Gagner (too late i guess) but this upcomming contract has me a little worried...

Old
07-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
You should check out some of the highlight reels and scouting reports that were posted here when he was acquired. He looks like a real gem just entering his prime, and one with a helluva toolbox. The history of players like him who came over to the NHL late in their career and flopped is long, so I think expectations are being held to reasonable levels, but he should make the team and I don't think many would be flabbergasted if he's playing in the Top 4 (and playing well) by Christmas.
Thanks. I missed when the Belov signing was announced and the thread discussing it quickly disappeared but has returned to front page now. Good to hear we've retained another D that could be seeing the lineup. I've looked through more of the info. Still the big question of how the player adapts to the NHL game.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
dyzfunctioned

Don't get why so many people are raging about missing out on Seguin. First of all, there's nothing to say definitively that we didn't try.

Secondly, if we're looking at a comparable return from our side (keeping in mind Boston wants to win now) it's pretty much...

Eberle <= Eriksson
Musil < Morrow
Pitlick <Frazer

So just going with direct comparables, we can say it would have been Eberle + Musil + Pitlick + 2nd or something, but problem is, Eriksson makes $4.25M and is more proven than Eberle, who makes $6M. Boston needs to cut cap. So we would have to send back another cheap player to make up the cap difference, someone like Paajarvi, and we would have to add to make up the current difference between Eberle and Eriksson, and that's even if we could get the cap to work out. More likely, we would have needed to give up a player like Yakupov, and then some.

How many people really wanted to give up something like...

Yakupov + Musil + Pitlick + 2014 1st
for
Seguin + Peverley

And I wouldn't be surprised if it would have cost us even more as the gap between Yakupov and Eriksson is huge right now.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Petro Points

MacT's performance so far = slow n steady but in the the right direction..

No bad move so far !

Got us the best Euro Dman available. Belov admitted he chose EDM over PIT and 3 other teams interested because MacT was over in Europe scouting him personally.

Got us the best coach available. Eakins looks like a coach who will command the best out of our players.

Got rid of Horc, Plante, Teubert, Belanger

Turned a 2nd rounder into 5 x 3rd\4th round picks.

Long ways to go but we have plenty of cap room and plenty of roster space available.. Keep it up MacT.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:31 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
GOT LARSEN, 6'0" 200lbs RHD 23 years old and a late pick , plus 5.5 M cap space.

in return hfor horcoff when both parties needed to go seperate ways to remain healthy.

WOW.
Cap space doesn't play hockey very well.

That said Horcoffs days were done in Edmonton. Its unfortunate but professional sports are an entertainment and players are affected by ignorant fan behaviours.

One has to wonder who is going to get the gears now... seeing as Gagner is sorry Horcoff is gone, one suspects Gagner is now thinking its going to be him. Good luck signing any players to a deal seeing as all they can expect to get from Edmonton is disdain.

Last edited by AM: 07-05-2013 at 11:36 AM.
AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
Cap space doesn't play hockey very well.

That said Horcoffs days were done in Edmonton. Its unfortunate but professional sports are an entertainment and players are affected by ignorant fan behaviours.

One has to wonder who is going to get the gears now... seeing as Gagner is sorry Horcoff is gone, one suspects Gagner is now thinking its going to be him. Good luck signing any players to a deal seeing as all they can expect to get from Edmonton is disdain.
you know what you do with cap space? You fill it up.

Is that a hard concept to grasp?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:44 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
you know what you do with cap space? You fill it up.

Is that a hard concept to grasp?
Have you actually been following this team for the past 20 years?

If its one thing that should e obvious to every fan is that, Yes, capspace is hard to fill.... with something useful.

I mean come on, fans were on Horcoff because of his contract, and his contract never stopped us from adding players.

Where's the sense in that?

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
Have you actually been following this team for the past 20 years?

If its one thing that should e obvious to every fan is that, Yes, capspace is hard to fill.... with something useful.

I mean come on, fans were on Horcoff because of his contract, and his contract never stopped us from adding players.

Where's the sense in that?
Yeah I've been aware of this team for the past 20 years, thanks for wanting to clear that up with me. Im glad we got that settled.

I'm sure there's an upgrade out there somewhere. Be it free agency or trades.

Off season just started. I'm a broken record; basically you guys are disliking the trade because it makes a hole that is not filled immediately.

Give it some ****ing time. Jesus.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Yeah I've been aware of this team for the past 20 years, thanks for wanting to clear that up with me. Im glad we got that settled.

I'm sure there's an upgrade out there somewhere. Be it free agency or trades.

Off season just started. I'm a broken record; basically you guys are disliking the trade because it makes a hole that is not filled immediately.

Give it some ****ing time. Jesus.
Some really intelligent moves by MacTavish today. Trading Horcoff to free up cap space and acquire a skilled, young right handed defenseman in Larsen is a coup imo. Adding Ference, Gordon, Labarbera, Joensuu without subtracting from the line up is fantastic. MacTavish does need to make one or two more deals to shore up the remainder of the roster some more, but today has been very successful in adding useful players from free agency. MacTavish has the rest of the summer to help some other teams with cap space issues move players.

Steering clear of most of the big name free agents makes sense, since they usually require significant over payments and long terms that often don't make a whole lot of sense. Still, I'd like to see MacArthur become an Oiler.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
as long as we dont go into "tard" mode tomorrow, the 'tar will be likely changed this weekend.

if offended i suggest those people dont look, or move to a country not practicing free speech, expression. I am not here to appease you.
you're being pretty ignorant to a guy who was just hoping you'd explain why you have an avatar that shows hatred to the oilers.
he didn't say you couldn't. maybe he too was just using his free speech.
geeze, pal.

anyway, so far so good for MacT. let's see how the gagner negotiation goes.
hopefully the free agent season has given them a better indication of his value.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:10 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

I have to admit... not making any major signings or trades by now is pretty bold on MacT's part.

Boyd Gordon is nice but it's not hugely significant. I wanted to see a top 6 forward or top 3 D, or even a 1B goalie by now.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
ca phe sua da
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 1000
wha, no raging on about how we missed out on Clarkson yet? Haha

srsly, I think the moves he's NOT making (i.e. not overpaying for anything) speak just as much as the moves he IS making

ca phe sua da is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Up the Irons

so far, the Ference signing, and perhaps Belov, makes the team better. all other signing today meerly fill the roster. the forward corp is not better than last year.... yet.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
so far, the Ference signing, and perhaps Belov, makes the team better. all other signing today meerly fill the roster. the forward corp is not better than last year.... yet.
addition by subtraction my friend... The main blocks are in place... just need fillers now..

Smid-Petry
Ference-Justin
Belov-Nick

seems balanced and solid enough... Klefbom kicking the tires is the icing on top.

Lots of open spots up front but nothing major... We got the core signed up..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote