HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Question about Pierre Turgeon

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
  #1
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,393
vCash: 50
Question about Pierre Turgeon

OK as we all know the Cardinals are in Los Angeles and playing Albert Pujols for the first time. I guess I am in the very minute minority in that I still root for Pujols to do well. I would prefer to see the Cards win a game while Pujols contributes for the Angels, etc.

When people get mad at me for that, I compare it to Pierre Turgeon leaving the Blues (Turgeon was my all time favorite player). I would root for the Blues to win against Dallas, but I was hoping Turgeon would still play well.

I wasn't surprised when Albert left, but my question is how big a surprise was it when Turgeon left here? I was only 9 years old and the business side of hockey was so far over my head back then and the only thing I knew was my heart was broken because my favorite player was gone.

Was it a forgone conclusion that #77 wasn't coming back? Or it was a big surprise?

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
  #2
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
OK as we all know the Cardinals are in Los Angeles and playing Albert Pujols for the first time. I guess I am in the very minute minority in that I still root for Pujols to do well. I would prefer to see the Cards win a game while Pujols contributes for the Angels, etc.

When people get mad at me for that, I compare it to Pierre Turgeon leaving the Blues (Turgeon was my all time favorite player). I would root for the Blues to win against Dallas, but I was hoping Turgeon would still play well.

I wasn't surprised when Albert left, but my question is how big a surprise was it when Turgeon left here? I was only 9 years old and the business side of hockey was so far over my head back then and the only thing I knew was my heart was broken because my favorite player was gone.

Was it a forgone conclusion that #77 wasn't coming back? Or it was a big surprise?
It's been a long time so I will just tell you what I remember.

We traded for Weight thus leading to them not resigning Turgeon.

I at the time of the trade was hoping we would be running Weight and Turgeon. If I remember correctly ownership didn't even offer Turgeon a contract. Turgeon wanted to stay in St Louis but management did not want him to return after getting Weight in the trade.

I personally was really disappointed we did not bring Turgeon back.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  #3
bluesman11
Robert Johnson
 
bluesman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 749
vCash: 1111
I'm old enough to remember and I realize this opinion won't be popular with all here, but it was believed for all his talent he didn't play with a lot of heart in big games. He did show flashes but he just wasn't very consistent.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
  #4
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
I'm old enough to remember and I realize this opinion won't be popular with all here, but it was believed for all his talent he didn't play with a lot of heart in big games. He did show flashes but he just wasn't very consistent.
Turgeon played with a lot of heart in the playoffs for us. He was our most consistent forward on the team. He turned Scott Young into a 40 goal scorer.

The lack of heart bs was because he didn't leave the bench during the brawl for team Canada that false label followed him his career.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:55 PM
  #5
bluesman11
Robert Johnson
 
bluesman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 749
vCash: 1111
Sorry I don't agree, did have some good games and he also disappeared in some, I'll trust what you think are my lying eyes.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
  #6
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,562
vCash: 500
I think the Turgeon as "Tin Man" crap was way overblown because fans needed a scapegoat. It was repeated enough that it became true for a lot of people. But I don't think that was why he was allowed to leave. I recall the Blues just wanting to spend their money elsewhere and yea, it wasn't a surprise that they let him go. When he didn't continue being a point-per-game player for Dallas, almost everyone felt like Blues management made a smart move.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:55 PM
  #7
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Pierre Turgeon was an excellent player. Outside of Pavel Demitra and Scott Young, he really had no one to pass to. He basically created something out of nothing, which meant Pronger and MacInnis were his best options to pass to. I liked Pierre and didn't want to see him go. If you look at Doug Weight, then you can see it isn't like he did much more than Pierre. He had a legitimate scorer in Tkachuk to pass to as well. Pierre is slighted in my opinion. Put him in his prime on this team, and he's a 100+ point guy. We would have our #1 center and playmaker. He was one slick passer.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:19 PM
  #8
Vladys Gumption
Registered User
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,662
vCash: 500
He also left much on much different terms than Albert. And he didn't act like a prima dona on the way out the door.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:33 PM
  #9
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Pierre Turgeon was an excellent player. Outside of Pavel Demitra and Scott Young, he really had no one to pass to. He basically created something out of nothing, which meant Pronger and MacInnis were his best options to pass to. I liked Pierre and didn't want to see him go. If you look at Doug Weight, then you can see it isn't like he did much more than Pierre. He had a legitimate scorer in Tkachuk to pass to as well. Pierre is slighted in my opinion. Put him in his prime on this team, and he's a 100+ point guy. We would have our #1 center and playmaker. He was one slick passer.
I really think he is one of the best centers we have had in franchise History. I have him behind Oates for centers I actually watched play for the Blues.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:58 PM
  #10
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Oh definitely. No doubt that Bernie Federko was the best. Remember his first game. Garry Unger has to be up there as well. Best center tandem in Blues history. Federko, Dunlop, Zuke, and Patey

He is in my top 3 centers in Blues history definitely. If Oates wasn't such a butthead, then he probably would be in my top 3. Turgeon could create on his own though. Something both Federko and Unger could do.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:23 PM
  #11
Twister18
Registered User
 
Twister18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pocahontas, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Oh definitely. No doubt that Bernie Federko was the best. Remember his first game. Garry Unger has to be up there as well. Best center tandem in Blues history. Federko, Dunlop, Zuke, and Patey

He is in my top 3 centers in Blues history definitely. If Oates wasn't such a butthead, then he probably would be in my top 3. Turgeon could create on his own though. Something both Federko and Unger could do.
Wasn't Brian Sutter a C?

Twister18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:07 PM
  #12
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 2357
Pierre didn't hold press conferences stating "It's not about the money." and leave for the money. Simple as that and he was one of my favorite Blues going up. If we had prime Turgeon right now, we would win a cup.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:52 PM
  #13
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister18 View Post
Wasn't Brian Sutter a C?
Sutter was a winger... Federko was the center.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:09 PM
  #14
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Federko made everyone a 20 goal scorer. Sutter the perpetual 3rd line scrappy player. a perennial 30-40 goal scorer. We was just a wizard with the puck. Bernie too would make this team a cup winner.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:03 AM
  #15
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
They traded for Weight and chose not to sign Turgeon, which seemed idiotic until he immediately fell off the cliff after heading to Dallas. That said, I loved Turgeon. The dude scored an OT Game 7 series winning goal against Phoenix in a scoreless sudden death game. One of my favorite all time Blues memories. The guy was quality with us. He more than did his fair share of the lifting toward winning the Cup when he was here. It was other guys who didn't carry the Blues. Pierre was fine.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.