HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Darroll Powe, Arron Asham (7/5: Both Clear)

Old
07-04-2013, 08:27 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
I liked Asham and I think he should have even got PP time with his underrated shot but the truth is, they need guys with more skill and higher upside plus that little extra cap wiggle room.

Powe is an ok 13th forward but he seems to have lost any offense he once had with the Flyers.

Pyatt might play better under AV. We'll see. I still say trade him but he's most likely here to stay.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Leetch3

you want a forward to handle the heavy gooning. it hurts too much to lose a dman for 5-10 minutes at a time. early on he'll need to fight to prove himself but he'll need to learn to pick his spots too...beukeboom was great at that. he wouldn't fight often but then would annihilate a guy just as a reminder to people what he could do...

but that 'proving himself' phase is the biggest reason the rangers are concerned about making sure his knee is back to 100%. they know he is going to have to fight grown men in the nhl and don't want to risk him getting hurt if his knee isn't ready

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:30 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Maybe the thinking is while they won't have a true resident tough guy, Ulf with get the team to collectively be tougher and watch each others' backs.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:40 PM
M Gaz
Goalie Killer

vCash: 2946
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Maybe the thinking is while they won't have a true resident tough guy, Ulf with get the team to collectively be tougher and watch each others' backs.
I'm all for that, but I don't want Stepan and McDonagh fighting every game

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:33 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
I rather watch our own players crap the bed than dealing with old washed up free agent signings play terribly.

Boyle is an excellent fourth liner. Good third liner, in my opinion. He'll do the job well. Dorsett is excellent for energy and grit, same with Boyle.
I dunno that coud hurt prospect development in some cases. In the end I'd rather the team pulls in a guy who actually works rather than have our prospects crap up the joint. I'd love it if our prospects earn the spot though that's for sure!

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Lundsanity30

Dorsett and Boyle both belong on the 4th line imo, both should be 2.of the 6 bottom fixtures also Brass or Richards whichever plays worse in camp/pre season. Leaves 3 more spots open.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Inferno

vCash: 857
inconsequential.

want to play a more aggressive offensive game? Snails like Asham arent going to cut it.

Pyatt should be moved too imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I want to see McIlrath up this year. I think he'll handle himself just fine against anyone in the NHL right now. Let him learn by experiencing both the game and the rough stuff at the NHL level. Kids a beast!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:16 PM
The Mouth

Like Jim Gordon said about Barry Beck, Mcilrath is a "Destroyer Of Men." Asham came to play in the playoffs and I admire that but it is time to acquire another 4th line bum. Darrel Powe anybody with zero points deserves zero pay.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:08 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
inconsequential.

want to play a more aggressive offensive game? Snails like Asham arent going to cut it.

Agree 100%.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
What's the point of waiving them if they are not being bought out? They will still fully count on the cap for the off-season, if I'm not mistaken. The Rangers are probably just hoping someone claims them, right?

Last edited by Kane One: 07-05-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
What's the point of waiving them if they are not being bought out? They will still fully count on the cap for the off-season, if I'm not mistaken. The Rangers are probably just hoping someone claims them, right?
yeah it was to see if anyone would claim them

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:53 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
The Rangers yesterday placed Darroll Powe ($1.067 million cap hit) and Arron Asham ($1 million) on waivers. Unless claimed (extremely unlikely), this will have no impact on the club’s cap space for the summer. If they are sent to the AHL Wolf Pack at the start of the season, Powe’s cap charge will become $142,000 while Asham’s will be $75,000.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Powe and Asham will require waivers in October to be sent to the AHL if they are still part of the team at that point.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:57 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Stop coaching Pat,Zipay and Gross have no idea how the cap works. They cover a team in the biggest media market in the world and have no clue.

Quote:
Despite having little salary-cap maneuverability, the Rangers perhaps signaled they will try to make some depth moves once the free-agent market opens today by placing two forwards on waivers.

Arron Asham, 35, and Darroll Powe, 28, were put on regular waivers Thursday. If they clear by today at noon, the Rangers will be able to reassign them to Hartford (AHL).
- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/21....rVty43uN.dpuf

All one way contracts count in the summer cap and there is no AHL in July.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:00 AM
PMII
Shattendeuces

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Powe and Asham will require waivers in October to be sent to the AHL if they are still part of the team at that point.
Could see a team picking them up at that point when the rosters are set and teams have a better idea of what their payroll/cap for the upcoming season will be. Asham/Powe, while extremely mediocre, still can be effective in a certain role. They're just kind of redundant here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Stop coaching Pat,Zipay and Gross have no idea how the cap works. They cover a team in the biggest media market in the world and have no clue.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/21....rVty43uN.dpuf

All one way contracts count in the summer cap and there is no AHL in July.
Pretty pathetic that these people get paid to write this crap while most of the posters here could cover the team more accurately in their sleep (of course excluding Bob Richards).

07-05-2013, 05:11 AM
ncmike

@tawnos
While you say players need to earn there playing time, you have admit that it doesn't help a players development playing with 4th line players when they are clearly better than that.

ncmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:19 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
inconsequential.

Pyatt could be effective on the forth line. He also could be a utility forward to move to higher lines in case of injury. Finally he could be the 13th forward if both of our Swedes, Miller and maybe Kristo show to be good enough to play with the big club.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:22 AM
SupersonicMonkey*

Quote:
inconsequential.

Agree! Very happy to see Asham and Powe go. Cutting dead weight. Pyatt should go, too. Agree.

Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, Miller. Skill and speed in the bottom six.

Sign Moore for 1 year, move Boyle.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Pyatt could be effective on the forth line. He also could be a utility forward to move to higher lines in case of injury. Finally he could be the 13th forward if both of our Swedes, Miller and maybe Kristo show to be good enough to play with the big club.
That would be fine as long as he isn't blocking anyone from earning spots in the lineup.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:28 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Waivers begin 12 days before the start of the NHL season and end the day following the last game of the club's playing season. That is playing season waiver period. The cap goes up by 10% starting today at noon until the last day of training camp. Asham and Powe will count against the cap if they are not claimed on waivers at noon today. $70.73M summer cap. The Rangers can't shed their cap hits until October. $925,000. $75,000 cap hit for Asham. $141,667 cap hit for Powe. Rangers save $1.85M. The Rangers should be able to find teams for them.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
As some posters before have mentioned, cutting dead weight... Although I am sure Powe is good guy etc. bla bla bla, i hated every second he was on the ice, what a waste, blocking someone else from a roster spot.

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Crease

Darroll Powe made Blair Betts look like Wayne Gretzky.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:29 AM
NYR Viper

My guess? The Rangers have offers of AHL level players or dead weight coming back so they waived them hoping to clear the (2) contract spots, as opposed to bringing in (2) more contracts. If they go unclaimed, I am betting they are dealt for next to nothing.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Badko

An octopus on the ice in Detroit was more useful than Pyatt on the ice in New York.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
My guess? The Rangers have offers of AHL level players or dead weight coming back so they waived them hoping to clear the (2) contract spots, as opposed to bringing in (2) more contracts. If they go unclaimed, I am betting they are dealt for next to nothing.
If someone wants them they will be claimed, don't see that happening with Powe, rumors are floating around there seems to be some interest in Asham. When they both survive waivers they will be waived again to start the season and then be sent down to the Pack at that point. Doubt there will be any takers for these two in a trade during a summer as each time is trying to open up cap space, maybe they could be dealt at the start or during the season when injuries happen.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote