HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

C. Giroux: 8-year contract extension (ESPN: $66.2m, $8.275m AAV, NMC) upds in post #1

Old
07-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Exactly. Give him all the soft minutes and let him rack up pts for the love of god. Take him off the PK rightnow.
This is the reason I'm glad they signed Vinny. He can help take pressure off of G by being that 2nd line center pivot that can give him support. He can also mentor him on being the star player and trying to live up to a big contract. Lacavalier has been there and done that. Schenn couldn't do that.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
potsiev2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Every comment you've made so far has made you look like a fan of another team who created an account to troll the Flyers boards. Or maybe you just have no idea what you're talking about?
the HF boards have some of the dumbest sports fans in the world making posts... what do you expect?

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Insulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
people will complain about any move the Flyers make
I expected it from fans of other teams, I was referring to the Flyers fans who thought he should have took less.

Insulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:48 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulin View Post
I expected it from fans of other teams, I was referring to the Flyers fans who thought he should have took less.
my point exactly

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:48 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerTime View Post
Well I just did,Does not change the fact he is over payed. If he wants that kind of money he better get over 100 points per season or he is a failure. Just like Bryz he could not live up to his contract and it was a failure, if we were paying 3 million not so bad.
what do you think he should've taken? let me hear your contract

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
This is the reason I'm glad they signed Vinny. He can help take pressure off of G by being that 2nd line center pivot that can give him support. He can also mentor him on being the star player and trying to live up to a big contract. Lacavalier has been there and done that. Schenn couldn't do that.

I want no part of Vinny explaining to Giroux how to live up to a big contract.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Well I just did,Does not change the fact he is over payed. If he wants that kind of money he better get over 100 points per season or he is a failure. Just like Bryz he could not live up to his contract and it was a failure, if we were paying 3 million not so bad.
Name the players in the league that have around the same cap hit or total contract money.

Now name the players that score 100 points per season. In fact, name 1 player that scores 100 points per season.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:41 PM
3Fs

LOL going to be a lot of jacked fans out there disappointed that CG will not be OS next year =)

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:46 PM
hockeyfreak7

The outcry over this just goes to show how uninformed people are. Giroux's AAV is cheaper than the first 8 years of Kovalchuks's deal, Parise's deal, etc. the only difference is that we can't massage the numbers to get the cap hit down.

Anyone calling Giroux overpayed needs to be checked into a mental institute because he's not even close to being overpayed relative to his peers. The only difference is the cap hit, and there's nothing we can do about that now. Get over it. We have a franchise player who we have locked up for eight years. Celebrate it. Jesus.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:50 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

It's a big number to live up to, and I hope he does (and I won't be surprised when he surpasses it).

It's in the neighbourhood I figured it would be - here's hoping he's still around when the NMC kicks in.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Jtown

apparently carchidi tweeted that homer said the deal is not complete yet.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I'm ok with this. Not thrilled, but ok. This is what franchise players get under the new CBA.

I heard the other day that some GMs are expecting the cap to be at close to 80 million in 3 years. If that's true then this is basically the equivalent to when Richards and Carter signed their deals. Roughly 10% of your cap for your franchise player.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
I want no part of Vinny explaining to Giroux how to live up to a big contract.
Why? You can help people out whether the expierence is negative or positive.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:29 AM
BillDineen

I really hope he lives up to this contract. Fair value I guess, but certainly not "great".

At this price, they should have waited until next summer to sign him, it would not have been higher.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:35 AM
WeekendAtBernies

I see both sides of this debate.

On one hand, it's damn near impossible to try and nickel and dime your best/franchise player and captain after you just went out and overspent massively on Streit. If I were Giroux and Homer came to me asking for a discount because he needs to sign Schenn and Couturier too, I'd point at his luxury signings of Streit and Lecavalier and laugh. Asking G to take $$ out of his own pocket to help the team's cap situation when you had plenty of caproom both now and going forward just a week or so ago isn't fair at all. Ultimately, if there are some cap casualties, it will be Homer's fault, not Giroux's.

On the other hand... I think 8.3 is entirely too much for Giroux given the way he played last year and the fact that he's only really had one excellent year. He's a great player, but at this point we have no idea where Giroux is going to settle in points-wise per season. Is he going to be a 75-80 point guy, or a 90+ point guy? That makes a difference. Is he ever going to score 30 goals? That also makes a difference, since goals are more valuable than assists. When Malkin and Crosby got paid, they had several years to look at to justify their salaries. Ditto Getz and Perry. Even young Steven Stamkos had several years to look at to justify his contract. Claude Giroux has ONE, and it's a career year where he still didn't eclipse 30 goals. That's scary to me. We're essentially paying for potential, but there's no upside for us. If Giroux scores 90-95 pts per year, we get our money's worth, but get no excess value. If he scores anything less, we're getting less than what we paid for. That's a whole lot of downside risk for such a meager upside.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:02 AM
Ilya Bryzastor

Don't hate this deal , just wish we could have signed him for 7.5 , that 750k can be useful down the line. But anyway glad we got this done.

Ilya Bryzastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Jtown

The canucks are the standard for excellence when it comes to cap hits.

You look at their roster and their players routinely take less than market value.

The importance of having your best player take a less than market value deal is important because it sets the culture for the team. If you want to be in a winning environment you have to sacrifice for the good of the team. Salary is no exception.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:26 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
The canucks are the standard for excellence when it comes to cap hits.

You look at their roster and their players routinely take less than market value.

The importance of having your best player take a less than market value deal is important because it sets the culture for the team. If you want to be in a winning environment you have to sacrifice for the good of the team. Salary is no exception.
Cough cough... David Booth, Ballard.

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:36 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

I like this deal (understatement) but I was really looking forward to G signing all those crippling offer sheets next year.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Wait, what?
Jake was aboslutely horrible for a few weeks in the beginning of the season, just like he was for Prague in KHL before that (and got also injured at the end of his KHL stint)

Last edited by kudymen: 07-05-2013 at 05:43 AM.
kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
what do you think he should've taken? let me hear your contract
8 years at 7.3 is what I think he is worth, but I would not cry too much at 7.75

Legion of Gloom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

With how the Flyers have handled there last 5 long term contracts, no wonder Roo didn't take any real discount.

This can be a risky contract, but it is the price we need to pay to keep top tier talent.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:49 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Cough cough... David Booth, Ballard.
Don't forget Luongo.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:53 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
8 years at 7.3 is what I think he is worth, but I would not cry too much at 7.75
I really thought the high end was going to be 7.5... but as others have said the cap should rise by a good amount next year so I don't think this will end up being too bad.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
No complaints here. Obviously you'd like to see your best player and captain locked up to a bargain contract, but that is pretty unrealistic. $8.275 right is around where I figured he'd get. I don't think it is an overpayment, but to those who do: would you rather have not re-signed him and are you really going to complain about the fact that your best player and captain is overpaid by what, $750k? $1 million? Who cares?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Name the players in the league that have around the same cap hit or total contract money.

Now name the players that score 100 points per season. In fact, name 1 player that scores 100 points per season.
Crosby, Malkin, Lindros as a Flyer all have over a 100 point average per season.

You want to be paid like the big boys you better deliver

I will be happy if he has a 100 point average over 5 years and a Cup, anything less is not living up to the contract.

Legion of Gloom is online now   Reply With Quote