HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabovski on waivers

Old
07-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
The problem though is he doesn't seem to like being told what his role is.
He didn't say a single word about it all season. He took it in stride and did what he could. He didn't speak up until he was essentially fired and from this Leafs fan, everything Grabo said is true.

I love the guy and I'm really upset to lose a guy that's nothing but pure heart and energy. Nashville is my "second" team so please make it happen.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

vCash: 500
Wasn't it yesterday Grabo was being traded for Horny?

It honestly wouldn't be the worst decision, and far from the worst made by Poile. He's a "motor". The type of player that initiates the pace. Decent player, can score 25-30 goals, but I think this organization should be looking higher.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:31 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Wasn't it yesterday Grabo was being traded for Horny?

It honestly wouldn't be the worst decision, and far from the worst made by Poile. He's a "motor". The type of player that initiates the pace. Decent player, can score 25-30 goals, but I think this organization should be looking higher.
higher than a 25-30 goal scorer? what the hell man, what is available thats "higher" than that?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
higher than a 25-30 goal scorer? what the hell man, what is available thats "higher" than that?
There's always the trade market, even if Poile doesn't acknowledge it. If Grabo gets less than 4.5, then you're getting incredible value.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

How many teams right now are going to be willing to trade away a 30+ goal scorer for what we have to offer (without stripping the core or creating new holes a 30+ goal scorer will not mask)? Preferably one not on the last year of their contract since it is going to take a decent package. We don't need a rental.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Another thing to keep in mind, he was Kessel's Center for the last couple of years ... we don't exactly have a Kessel on our roster.

I think I'd pass on him.
He didn't play with Kessel, but he did make his linemates a lot worse when he wasn't on.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:51 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

after reading the text of his interview where he ripped Caryle, I'll take him... that wasnt whining, that was passion... and he is going to be uber motivated to prove the Leafs were wrong to let him go.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:14 AM
PFL615

If he becomes a free agent we don't stand a chance. I would be safe in saying we did not claim him off of waivers..
Time to move on.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:18 AM
cleangene

Quote:
after reading the text of his interview where he ripped Caryle, I'll take him... that wasnt whining, that was passion... and he is going to be uber motivated to prove the Leafs were wrong to let him go.
THIS exactly. (btw, any hardware needs I have, there won't be a trip to pop up central.)

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:26 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
If he becomes a free agent we don't stand a chance. I would be safe in saying we did not claim him off of waivers..
Time to move on.
yeah... thats kinda the point.. we are #4 on the waiver list, so if we want him, we dont have to bid we just claim him...

he would probably get something like 5x5 or more on the open market.. but we can get him for 5.5x4 without worrying about being out bid

the more i think about it, if poile doesnt claim him, then he darn well better have someone else already locked up

Old
07-05-2013, 07:36 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
yeah... thats kinda the point.. we are #4 on the waiver list, so if we want him, we dont have to bid we just claim him...

he would probably get something like 5x5 or more on the open market.. but we can get him for 5.5x4 without worrying about being out bid

the more i think about it, if poile doesnt claim him, then he darn well better have someone else already locked up
Agreed.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Time to move on.
You really don't understand how waivers work, do you? Yesterday you were on the trade board asking if he was claimed yet and now you're here posting that you think it's safe to say we didn't claim him...

Waivers are not an instantaneous process like a trade. Teams place players on waivers at 12 noon EST each day and the player remains on waivers till 12 noon EST the following day at which point the NHL announces whether anyone has been awarded a player's waiver rights through a claim or whether that player has cleared waivers. It is all done through the league office and via an order of selection based upon the standings (Preds currently hold 4th waiver claim).

We will not know if any team put in a claim for Grabovski till 11 AM local time today. I doubt anyone did with that contract, but again we will not know until the league office announces it.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Grab is not a great fit, but I would be willing to take a chance. He is overpaid and if we have an internal cap, we might be making a mistake. If not, it's a shame we wasted so much space last year, doing it again would be a travesty.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:51 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Grab is not a great fit, but I would be willing to take a chance. He is overpaid and if we have an internal cap, we might be making a mistake. If not, it's a shame we wasted so much space last year, doing it again would be a travesty.
the problem is, everyone in the UFA market os going to be overpaid both dollars and even more importantly term.

Im thinking in the UFA market bidding war Grabo commands 5 mil for 5-6 years.

we can have him for 4 years at a 5.5 mil cap hit and actual cash of $21 mil over those 4 years.

as far as internal cap, if Poile talked to Lecavalier and Horton we obviously have money to spend.

like I said, we MUST have someone for the top 6... so if Poile didnt claim Grabo, e better make sure we are getting some legit top 6 forward today

Old
07-05-2013, 07:58 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm not drinking scotch but straight shots of vodka. I make the waiver claim for Grabo knowing the contract will be buffered by the fact the salary cap will dramatically rise with the increase in outdoor games and dumping SK and Gill will take care most of my cap for Grabo.

I cut my vodka with cranberry juice to cut the acid in my stomach and look to the FA market and compare the cost with the trade market. I kick the tires on Vanek and compare with the trade market on comparable wings.

If all else fails switch to Tequillia, call Wilson to tell him to start practicing his faceoffs, hope Beck doesn't suck and hope 1-0 wins games and fans

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:48 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
You really don't understand how waivers work, do you? Yesterday you were on the trade board asking if he was claimed yet and now you're here posting that you think it's safe to say we didn't claim him...

Waivers are not an instantaneous process like a trade. Teams place players on waivers at 12 noon EST each day and the player remains on waivers till 12 noon EST the following day at which point the NHL announces whether anyone has been awarded a player's waiver rights through a claim or whether that player has cleared waivers. It is all done through the league office and via an order of selection based upon the standings (Preds currently hold 4th waiver claim).

We will not know if any team put in a claim for Grabovski till 11 AM local time today. I doubt anyone did with that contract, but again we will not know until the league office announces it.
Thank you for clearing that up i was not 100% sure if waivers worked the same way with buyout waivers. I figured i would try to get an answer since i was not the only goon asking on the boards and especially twitter.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve simmons @simmonssteve via Twitter
At trade deadline 2012, Nashville offered a 1st rd pick for Grabovski. Preds then traded for Gaustad instead. Maybe Nash still likes Grabo.
Just saw this tweet from one of the Toronto reporters. I hope this means that Poile did put claim in. I know this was last year but if he was willing to trade a 1st, then he may be willing to pick him up now.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Just saw this tweet from one of the Toronto reporters. I hope this means that Poile did put claim in. I know this was last year but if he was willing to trade a 1st, then he may be willing to pick him up now.
I really hope this isn't true. Poile thought Goose and Grabo were worth the same value?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
I really hope this isn't true. Poile thought Goose and Grabo were worth the same value?
I think it was he was more desperate to get someone in and that was what the price was.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I think it was he was more desperate to get someone in and that was what the price was.
I think your spot on. Grabs contract is inflated. He could well be worth it in the right situation. We all know that the Leafs got everything out of the guy.

Today is the most important day of the summer for this team. 20 minutes is the start.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I wonder how often we offer more money to a UFA but he still signs elsewhere anyway

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Buffalo Preds

Quote:
the problem is, everyone in the UFA market os going to be overpaid both dollars and even more importantly term.
Look, some will get paid more relative to production that other non-UFA players already under contract, because of economics.

I'm not trying to argue with you in particular, because what you actually say seems to show an understanding that sometimes you have to pay more than you would prefer.

But the idea that players in the UFA market are "overpaid" in any sense OTHER than they are overpaid relative to what Poile would prefer is just a misunderstand of the labor market.

Worse, it's an excuse for inaction. Either we pay the market rate (or even a premium, unfortunately, because lord knows these overgrown boys can't live in a low-tax non-traditional market like Nashville without a bump), OR we don't get the best players possible, and have to hope the scraps work out.

I just wish the term "overpaid" could be banned today. It's a cop-out.

Last edited by Buffalo Preds: 07-05-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Buffalo Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Buffalo Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I think your spot on. Grabs contract is inflated. He could well be worth it in the right situation. We all know that the Leafs got everything out of the guy.

Today is the most important day of the summer for this team. 20 minutes is the start.
Grabo's Leafs contract is a premium that puts him in a Preds sweater. It's that or take our chances in the UFA market, which has crushed us, for arguable reasons.

Buffalo Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Overpaid may be a cop out, but unwise spending isn't. I also have a hard time believing a player like Joel Ward wasn't overpaid with his contract. The market isn't infallible.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

He cleared.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote