HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy/2013 Offseason Thread: Part VII: OMGZZZ SATHER DO SOMETHING

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 03:57 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Most important part of that Brooks article

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers
****in' A. Staal is such an important part of the defense, it's been awhile since we've seen him play so I feel like we take him for granted. The Rangers' fully healthy blueline is probably the best in the NHL.

Mac-G
Staal-DZ
Moore-Stral
Falk

Not sure where the whole "Rangers need depth on D" is coming from. Just re-sign Eminger and the depth will be perfect.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-05-2013, 05:10 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Most important part of that Brooks article

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers
Hopefully Brooks is right and we can bring Dominic Moore back cheap.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Del Zotto is a disaster on the right side.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:11 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I'm fine with Moore coming back. Probably like a one year $950,000 deal is my guess.

I'd still like to add one more DMan like Blum or even resign Emminger. AV is a calmer presence than Torts and probably isn't as much a jerk for having extra players who aren't playing stay up with the big club. Plus, it allows more comfort and time for McLIrath and Noreau to develop and play big minutes in the AHL.

This offseason is going to be similar to 2010 when the Rangers only signed Biron, Boogard (RIP), Frolov, and invited Feds to camp. They also traded for Emminger.

Aka, don't expect fireworks, just subtle depth moves.

Still, Slats and Gordon might have a trick or two, or something they didn't leak to Brooks up their sleeve.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:16 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'd hope they sign both Blum and Eminger. 82 game season, the more quality depth, the better.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:19 AM
darko

Definitely bring back Emmy. Nothing wrong with him as a bottom pairing D-man when injuries strike and they will. It's a long season.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Having a healthy Staal and a developing McIlrath gives the Rangers more depth. Gordie Clark did an interview with Jim Cerny yesterday. You can tell that McIlrath has had a good week. He needs to have a good summer of training. Come to camp in September to fight for a job. Even if goes to the AHL and plays the first half down there and play a ton of minutes(which looks like the Rangers plan),he can still be a factor during the 2nd half of the season or fill in with any injuries.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sticker shock

Quote:
The Red Wings' primary need is a second-line center. Florida's Stephen Weiss, 30, has been their main focus for weeks. But, they may not be willing to meet his contract demands, expected to be at least five years and more than $5 million per season.

Washington's Mike Ribeiro is seeking a similar deal. That's more than the Red Wings would be willing to give a 33-year-old.
Quote:
This free agent class is void of bona fide superstars. The closest would be Boston right wing Nathan Horton. But, his reported asking price of six years at $6 million a season, coupled with injury concerns (concussion, shoulder), make him a risky acquisition.

New Jersey right wing David Clarkson has a nice combination of scoring ability and toughness, but he is seeking a seven-year deal worth between $5 million and $6 million per season. The Red Wings aren't getting into a bidding war for him.

The club has not made any headway in talks with Valtteri Filppula because the enigmatic forward wants a seven-year pact in excess of $5 million per season. He is generating a lot of interest. Tampa Bay and Columbus are possible landing spots.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....to_shallo.html

Horton to Columbus. Their doctors checked out his shoulder when Horton visited Columbus on Wednesday. It looks like the Columbus TV play by play guy Jeff Rimer helped facilitate the Horton to Columbus move. Rimer used to work for the Panthers when Horton played there. Rimer and JD are best friends. They did a syndicated radio show together in the 1990's.

Quote:
Told #CBJ doctors looked at Horton's injured shoulder while he was here. If he signs, safe bet he'd have surgery done at Cleveland Clinic.
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...10547815489536

Horton suffered 2 concussions in 8-9 months. June 2011. January/February 2012. Needs shoulder surgery. $36M for him.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:09 AM
beastly115

Giroux signs for 8.2m? Weird how the cap drops but salaries seem to be getting higher...

Old
07-05-2013, 07:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

What about Devin Setoguchi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
With the Wild aquiring El Nino... now it's being said that Setoguchi is all but gone from the Wild...

Gergely Foglar ‏@0JlovedNicole 16m

@Russostrib Niederreiter want to play in the NHL not AHL. Seto's days are numbered

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 16m

@0JlovedNicole agree w ya
Del Zotto + Boyle for Setoguchi + 2014 2nd

Cap hits are close.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Zuccarello - Brassard - Setoguchi
Hagelin - Richards - Callahan

Pretty solid top 9.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
****in' A. Staal is such an important part of the defense, it's been awhile since we've seen him play so I feel like we take him for granted. The Rangers' fully healthy blueline is probably the best in the NHL.

Mac-G
Staal-DZ
Moore-Stral
Falk

Not sure where the whole "Rangers need depth on D" is coming from. Just re-sign Eminger and the depth will be perfect.
And maybe DMcI gets his cup of coffee. I thought DZ is a LHD?

07-05-2013, 07:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
And maybe DMcI gets his cup of coffee. I thought DZ is a LHD?
He is and he's bad on the right side.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrush View Post

Cap hits are close.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash

Pretty solid top 9.
MDZ alone is worth more than that return. Besides, I'm not interested in seeing Setoguchi in a Ranger uniform. I'll take a flier on Mueller, or let the likes of Miller, Kristo, Fast and Hrivik vie for the opportunity to temporarily replace Hagelin and Callahan to start the season. If the Rangers are dealing MDZ, I want more than Setoguchi.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:26 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Brooks says Rangers have talked with Dom Moore about being 4th line center.
That signing would make a TON of sense. Great PKer. Great on face-offs. Tons of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You can't have too many centers. Not all can be moved to the wing without suffering, but many can make the move.
Agreed.

Quote:

Cap hits are close.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash

Pretty solid top 9.
That's an awful deal. Seto would not return MDZ. IF they move Del Zotto, I want a very good, young forward. Brett Connolly +. Alex Burmistrov +.

Quote:
He is and he's bad on the right side.
Exactly. I believe Moore has played on the right side a bit in his career, he may be the candidate to move over. Still seems like a bad idea IF they can move MDZ for a high return, do it. Sign Scuderi to pair with Moore.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:30 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 3m
Plenty of talk the New Jersey Devils are the leading contenders to sign Ryane Clowe. He wants to be in the East. #NHL
That would be pleasant to play him 8? times a year....

Old
07-05-2013, 07:34 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
MDZ alone is worth more than that return. Besides, I'm not interested in seeing Setoguchi in a Ranger uniform. I'll take a flier on Mueller, or let the likes of Miller, Kristo, Fast and Hrivik vie for the opportunity to temporarily replace Hagelin and Callahan to start the season. If the Rangers are dealing MDZ, I want more than Setoguchi.
Just thinking of ways they can improve their top six. With Asham and Powe on waivers I have new-found confidence that the bottom six will work itself out with youth and a cheap signing like Dominic Moore.

I'm concerned about the top six. We could really use another winger.

I feel Setoguchi is a solid player, capable of 20 or so goals on a good team. With playmakers like Brassard and Zuccarello, his production could be very good. And he isn't small, which is a plus. Assuming the rumors are true and he's on the block.

Mueller interests me, too. He would be a low-risk sign. Same as Blum (for defense depth).

Old
07-05-2013, 07:35 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Not ideal.

07-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Giroux signs for 8.2m? Weird how the cap drops but salaries seem to be getting higher...
The economy is worthless but the NHL has developed really well. Now the economy is looking slightly better and things in the league are looking great. The product is OK. The biggest franchises are doing awesome.

The cap will go right back up in a hurry and then some.

Next summer, depending On maybe a few deadline deals, more or less 30 TEAMS will have 6-10m of cap space.

How many teams are rebuilding right now? Calgary and ??? 29 teams looking to get better and win the cup! With 10m of capspace each.

Hence why I definitely would have squeezed in Lecavalier if possible under our cap. Hence why teams are going after players this summer to the extent possible, because from now on 5.5-6+m per is what a Bozak or a Fillpula or a Hudler or a Leino will cost. And you will probably be competing with a handful of teams for each player. The (i) contenders (ii) in the big markets will be the only ones who can get players because besides dollars they are more attractive.

Philly isn't stupid. Or maybe they are, but not like brain dead. They want to be a good team this season. If Philadelphia is a good team:

A) Their players will score alot of pts and have alot of value on the open market; which gives them flexibility; and

B) They will be attractive for UFAs and will get more players; which gives them more flexibility.

If they don't get Streit and Lecavalier: a) they miss the POs again this season, b) quite possible Schenns, Couts and co have very mediocre stats, c) many of their players loose their glare and loose value, d) they aren't as attractive and have to overpay UFAs, e) they can't make trades as easy when a bunh of guys like Schenns, Voracek, Couts, Read and co have had mediocre seasons back to back.

Appearances certainly matters!

It will be extremely hard to get players!

Not doing anything is far from always a good option! (where are we without signing Gabby, BR and trading for Nash? Answer: good enough to not get any high draft picks, not nearly good enough to go anywhere...)

Last edited by Ola: 07-05-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
With his recent concussion issues, could be a lot less than 8 times lol.

Clowe is a very risky signing for anyone.

Old
GAGLine

Quote:
How many of those will he miss with an injury?

Old
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Do you feel Clowe will still be an effective player with his recent spur of concussions? Personally, I think he's going to get paid purely on his reputation and not what he can realistically provide for an NHL club now.

Edit: Jeez, we piled on Viper quite quickly there. Sorry man.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:38 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The economy is worthless but the NHL has developed really well. Now the economy is looking slightly better and things in the league are looking great. The product is OK. The biggest franchises are doing awesome.

The cap will go right back up in a hurry and then some.

Next summer, depending a few deadline deals, more or less 30 TEAMS will have 6-10m of cap space.

How many teams are rebuilding this now? Calgary and ??? 29 teams looking to get better and win the cup! With 10m of capspace each.

Hence why I definitely would have squeezed in Lecavalier if possible under our cap. Hence why teams are going after players this summer to the extent possible, because from now on 5.5-6+m per is what a Bozak or a Fillpula or a Hudler or a Leino will cost. And you will probably be competing with a handful of teams for each player. The (i) contenders in (ii) the big markets will be the only ones who can get players because besides dollars they are more attractive.

Philly isn't stupid. Or maybe they are, but not like brain dead. They want to be a good team this season. If Philadelphia is a good team:
A) Their players will score alot of pts and have alot of value on the open market; which gives them flexibility; and

B) They will be attractive for UFAs and will get more players.

If they don't get Streit and Lecavalier: a) they miss the POs again this season, b) quite possible Schenns, Couts and co have very mediocre stats, c) many of their players loose their glare and loose value, d) they aren't as attractive and have to overpay UFAs, e) they can't make trades as easy when a bunh of guys like Schenns, Voracek, Couts, Read and co have had mediocre seasons back to back.

Appearances certainly matters!

It will be extremely hard to get players!

Not doing anything is far from ways a good option! (where are we without signing Gabby, BR and trading for Nash? Answer: good enough to not get any high draft picks, not nearly good enough to go anywhere...)
Also if the league expands by two (which is likely) that's more revenue.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Also if the league expands by two (which is likely) that's more revenue.
And less players to go around. More diluted talent, UFAs get overpaid even more. Cap will go up even more though, first few years of an expansion team are generally good for revenue right? (Besides the obvious expansion fee they have to pay)

Old
07-05-2013, 07:41 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Do you feel Clowe will still be an effective player with his recent spur of concussions? Personally, I think he's going to get paid purely on his reputation and not what he can realistically provide for an NHL club now.

Edit: Jeez, we piled on Viper quite quickly there. Sorry man.

No worries. I do think he will be an effective player again. The issue for me is not the amount he will get, but the length of the contract. I think he can be effective for another 3~4 years. I am talking ~40 points + 150 PIM's which to me is very hard to find. The issue becomes the years after that.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I hope we deal Boyle and bring Dominic Moore back.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/re...service=mobile

If he is ready, I hope he gets to heal a little in a Rangers uniform where his NHL career started.

Closed Thread