*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 05:40 PM
dansk55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StungbySting View Post
Anyone else hearing Terry Doran as intern GM?
See my earlier message. I guess if we want to relive past mistakes.... this would be one of them...of course it means they haven't drawn the candidates....Sarnia is kinda messy situation ...

Old
06-14-2013, 07:45 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by StungbySting View Post
Anyone else hearing Terry Doran as intern GM?
Not hearing anything on GM, but Letowski will be named Head Coach

Old
06-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Ward Cornell

well the name plates on the head says that Trevor Letkowski is the new head coach!

Old
06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
well the name plates on the head says that Trevor Letkowski is the new head coach!
I just noticed the CHOK announcement. Why not add Patrick Desrochiers as goaltending coach instead of whoever they got...

Old
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
I just noticed the CHOK announcement. Why not add Patrick Desrochiers as goaltending coach instead of whoever they got...
Am pleased with coaching selection. The lads like and respect Trevor so this is a good move. Still waiting on GM am not sure I like the committee idea. Glavin's name should at least be in the mix. Agree with any other goaltending coach, Desrochiers would be an upgrade as would Burgess or McKichan.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:29 PM
lazyboy

Usually I would rip on a team for hiring a coach before a GM but in this case I do believe they got things right. Trevor's time has come and he's well respected by his players. Judging by some of his quotes it looks like it will be an up tempo style of play which I would welcome. I will come back and refer to this post in what could be a trying year for this team. As for a GM I suspect we may see a familiar face when all things are said and done. Whoever it is will have a tough task since yahoo reported the Sting only have 1 2nd rounder in the next 4 drafts - although that could be rectified with some of our experienced dman being moved. Either way, good on the Sting for this hire.

Old
06-15-2013, 04:01 AM
johnnydrum

Hiya guys! How are you all in Sarnia.
Any idea when mini camp is?
I am very keen to hear how Korostolev looks?

Old
06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
dansk55

looks like everyone is making changes...Whalers restacking the deck... anything impending in Sting land.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:59 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Hiya guys! How are you all in Sarnia.
Any idea when mini camp is?
I am very keen to hear how Korostolev looks?
Korostelev has been in Russia since mid April. He should be dynamite paired with Goldoblin in Sarnia. He had a chance to be a Top 5 pick, if he didnt break his wrist. He somewhat plateaued after his injury from my perspective and then u could see him rising again. He will be excellent.

Sarnia will also love Noah Bushnell, I think he will be a fan favourite in short time.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:24 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Sarnia Sting drafted 5'8" Russian forward Vladislav Kodola with the 27th pick in the 2013 CHL Import Draft.

Let's see if they struck gold again via the import draft.

More info on Kodola here

Old
07-03-2013, 07:15 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Sarnia Sting drafted 5'8" Russian forward Vladislav Kodola with the 27th pick in the 2013 CHL Import Draft.

Let's see if they struck gold again via the import draft.

More info on Kodola here
So now what happens to Nemecek,Do they just release him,trade him or does he just go home??

Old
07-03-2013, 07:20 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
So now what happens to Nemecek,Do they just release him,trade him or does he just go home??
Says in the link: Released by the Sting and drafted by Saskatoon at #49.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Am pleased with coaching selection. The lads like and respect Trevor so this is a good move. Still waiting on GM am not sure I like the committee idea. Glavin's name should at least be in the mix. Agree with any other goaltending coach, Desrochiers would be an upgrade as would Burgess or McKichan.
I attended several goalie camps with Desrochiers and he would be a great pick. All around good guy...Mckickan in the other hand, well you might as well have Bill Dark from London. Both have taken too many pucks to the head (in Mckickans case it was Tony Twists elbow).

Hey, I dont mean this to sound like buzzards circling overhead but if Sarnia is less than competitive this year, who do you see them moving as part of a rebuild?

Old
07-04-2013, 07:04 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I attended several goalie camps with Desrochiers and he would be a great pick. All around good guy...Mckickan in the other hand, well you might as well have Bill Dark from London. Both have taken too many pucks to the head (in Mckickans case it was Tony Twists elbow).

Hey, I dont mean this to sound like buzzards circling overhead but if Sarnia is less than competitive this year, who do you see them moving as part of a rebuild?
This is rebuild 10.0. I am sure if they are selling, and the braintrust wants to sell, Dunnick will be available, along with Nikandropov, and chapman and even Tony D. '
Should be an interesting year at best... No matter of the russian connections, i think we'e going to see another high midget pick... and if trevor can handle the room... he was Jock's good cop... let's see when the shoe is reversed and the pressure is on...
Oh ya, congrats to Nemechek... Sure you'll love Saskatoon.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:30 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
This is rebuild 10.0. I am sure if they are selling, and the braintrust wants to sell, Dunnick will be available, along with Nikandropov, and chapman and even Tony D. '
Should be an interesting year at best... No matter of the russian connections, i think we'e going to see another high midget pick... and if trevor can handle the room... he was Jock's good cop... let's see when the shoe is reversed and the pressure is on...
Oh ya, congrats to Nemechek... Sure you'll love Saskatoon.
Duininck would be the only guy available IMO with you list. Nikandrov is too important to the team off the ice. With having 3 russians on the team next year he will be the best person to help translate if needed. Chapman, unless he has improved his skating, he would still be a 5/6 Dman on the Sting and one of their top Penalty Killers. He wont be a big enough improvement on the top teams that they would want him. Tony D, is going to be the cornerstone of the Sting Defence for the next 3 seasons. With JB gone and Trevor now the coach, he will be much better. Though there would be a big return on him, I just don't see him being traded now unless it is a deal the Sting can't refuse.

IMO the movable players are Basso, Dipaolo, Moore, Latta, and maybe Duininck.

Last edited by BoxerMax: 07-04-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old
07-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Duininck would be the only guy available IMO with you list. Nikandrov is too important to the team off the ice. With having 3 russians on the team next year he will be the best person to help translate if needed. Chapman, unless he has improved his skating, he would still be a 5/6 Dman on the Sting and one of their top Penalty Killers. He wont be a big enough improvement on the top teams that they would want him. Tony D, is going to be the cornerstone of the Sting Defence for the next 3 seasons. With JB gone and Trevor now the coach, he will be much better. Though there would be a big return on him, I just don't see him being traded now unless it is a deal the Sting can't refuse.

Thanks. I as a fan would be interested in Basso and Latta. Hope to see the Sting turn it around!

Old
07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
dansk55

Quote:

Is Nikandrov's role a translator? Lotta pressure to put on a kid. Not sure Diapolo will make it, and how many OAs are we allowed... Basso will probably be gone too. Is Latta returning? I think we might be in line for Curtis Crombeen. Whalers have too many OAs and not sure he fits their plans. Will he play here?

Old
07-04-2013, 07:30 PM
massey

Quote:

I cant agree about Tony D.Now with JB gone,he will have to smarten up or he will be traded.JB was the one that allowed him to do his THING.The rest of the players will not tolerate another season like last year.Guaranteed.Chapman doesnt get enough credit if you have him at 5/6.IMO he will be top 4 because of penality kill and blocked shots.I am afraid Duininck could be gone unless there is somebody hungry for Basso.Most trades will have to be with the east as most teams will be rebuilding in the west.If the price is right I would agree anything could happen.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:44 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
I cant agree about Tony D.Now with JB gone,he will have to smarten up or he will be traded.JB was the one that allowed him to do his THING.The rest of the players will not tolerate another season like last year.Guaranteed.Chapman doesnt get enough credit if you have him at 5/6.IMO he will be top 4 because of penality kill and blocked shots.I am afraid Duininck could be gone unless there is somebody hungry for Basso.Most trades will have to be with the east as most teams will be rebuilding in the west.If the price is right I would agree anything could happen.
@Massey, I'm a huge fan of Chapman. But on a team with a good Blueline, not a great Blueline, he would be a 5/6 Dman and play PK. He is too slow and clumsy at times but has more heart and compete level than 95% of the league.

I could be wrong about Tony D, but my understanding was he did not like JB one bit. If I am wrong, then I would agree that he would probably be traded this year.

@dansk55 That would be great to finally get Crombeen here for his last year, but it would be hard with having to move 2 other OA's to open a spot for him. I do think that Basso will be moved before the start of the season. He should bring a good return. That would leave Duininck, Taki and Latta to start the season as OA's

Old
07-05-2013, 05:28 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
@Massey, I'm a huge fan of Chapman. But on a team with a good Blueline, not a great Blueline, he would be a 5/6 Dman and play PK. He is too slow and clumsy at times but has more heart and compete level than 95% of the league.

I could be wrong about Tony D, but my understanding was he did not like JB one bit. If I am wrong, then I would agree that he would probably be traded this year.

@dansk55 That would be great to finally get Crombeen here for his last year, but it would be hard with having to move 2 other OA's to open a spot for him. I do think that Basso will be moved before the start of the season. He should bring a good return. That would leave Duininck, Taki and Latta to start the season as OA's
Chapman, was the only defenseman on Sarnia capable of handling the big Whalers in the playoffs on a consistent basis in the slot. You need a guy like that. His skating and puck skills are improving, they're not an asset, but you can see he's putting in the effort, I think the debate of him being 2nd/3rd pairing is because he's a true 4-5 D in this league. Strong D he's a #5, weaker D he's a #4. He's also a PK guy so unless there's a good deal on the table I can't see him going anywhere.

Craig Duininck is definitely captain material. I wouldn't be surprised if Sarnia keep him regardless of what the plan is, because this team will be young and he'll be an important voice. Even rebuilding teams need those older guys to play a positive influence for the younger guys. Craig can play big minutes and help this team on and off the ice. So while he may be moved, don't be surprised if the team wants to keep him around at very least until the deadline.

Sarnia's blueline will likely have Connor Schlichting 16 year old 6'2" D. He improved leaps and bounds this year in Minor Midget, I really like his on ice play, but I've heard a few concerns which I won't elaborate on that prevented him from being as high as a potential late first rounder. I hope he works out because he already has great size and plays a very intelligent positional game. He will just need to be patient developing up through this blueline.

I can also see the team keeping Nikandrov and playing him top six. The kid blocks shots, does what it takes to win every night and consistently plays against the opposing team's top line, and plays with a ton of heart. He's not a big offensive guy, but for what he brings he doesn't need to put up huge numbers. I was personally surprised an NHL team didn't use atleast a 6th or a 7th on him. He would be a low risk pick that would be a true bottom six, team player, playing penalty kill, etc. I'm sure he gets a camp invite and I hope he keeps working hard. I also think he needs to stay because he and Goldobin have outstanding chemistry on the ice, again that is just my opinion.

I know the concern is this team is going to enter a full rebuild but I think they have several pieces to make them exciting. Goldobin is a potential top 10 pick in the NHL. Nikita Korestelev has a pro level shot right now today, so it's going to be interesting watching him play at this level. Brett Hargrave started to show flashes of the player he could be, so I think he could surprise. He still possess a lot of upside. Then you can look at guys like Jordan Addesi who hits everything that moves and leaves it all on the ice every game. Renaud who appears to have developed a bit of a nasty edge making him more effective in the second half. Then there's Noah Bushnell who was the Matt Martin of Ontario Minor Midget. I know how much fans here loved Martin, and I'm telling you Noah Bushnell plays the exact same game. Mean, physical, drops the gloves (even in Minor Midget) and has a good shot. Give him time and you guys will love him. Then there's Davis Brown. He also had flashes. he's not afraid of anything, skates fast and he has a laser of a release, he's a guy who could surprise. All of these guys are going to have one more year of development so I hope fans don't sell this team too short too fast. They may not be contenders but you're going to get to see a lot of young players develop.

By my count there's 6 potential NHL picks on this team for 2014. Nikolai Goldobin and Anthony DeAngelo are sure fire picks, Brett Hargrave, Jordan Addesi, Alexandre Renaud and Tyler Hore are all 6'2"-6'4" and could potentially still be growing. They all have a very real chance at being selected depending on how this season goes. I would love to see this team land Josh Jacobs (who plays in the USHL, they drafted in him 2012) he is another legitimate top 60 NHL pick which would push them to 7. Also some of their draft picks from 2012 could add to this team. First one that comes to mind is Centre Patrick White. He showed both some really good offensive flashes and the ability to take care of his own zone, so he could come in and contribute (and would be a 2014 eligible).

I'm also glad that when the coaching position became available, Trevor was given the opportunity. You talk to people in and out of hockey, players, coaches, agents, scouts, I have never heard one person say a bad word about Trevor Letowski. He's the guy that multiple former players of his, off the record have told me that everyone would go through a wall for him without hesitation. I remember when he filled in as coach a few years ago he made a rebuilding team competitive every night. I think this was a great decision by the organization, and I think he will get the very most out of this team.

I come on here very little, and comment even less but I thought it would be a good time to inject a little optimism about the future. No matter what I do, or where I go, Sarnia is my hometown, I was still in elementary school when the Sting came to Sarnia, so it's a part of my youth, and I'd like to see this organization reach it's potential. I've seen some of these kids before they played for Sarnia, or who have yet to play for Sarnia, and I think there's plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the future. I also hope when they fill the General Manager position they find someone who won't try to do too much too fast, build this team up with youth and improves it through the draft. This is a good year in the Western Conference to be young and building up, because it will be tough for any team not named the London Knights teams to make a serious run out of the West this year.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:59 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
Chapman, was the only defenseman on Sarnia capable of handling the big Whalers in the playoffs on a consistent basis in the slot. You need a guy like that. His skating and puck skills are improving, they're not an asset, but you can see he's putting in the effort, I think the debate of him being 2nd/3rd pairing is because he's a true 4-5 D in this league. Strong D he's a #5, weaker D he's a #4. He's also a PK guy so unless there's a good deal on the table I can't see him going anywhere.

Craig Duininck is definitely captain material. I wouldn't be surprised if Sarnia keep him regardless of what the plan is, because this team will be young and he'll be an important voice. Even rebuilding teams need those older guys to play a positive influence for the younger guys. Craig can play big minutes and help this team on and off the ice. So while he may be moved, don't be surprised if the team wants to keep him around at very least until the deadline.

Sarnia's blueline will likely have Connor Schlichting 16 year old 6'2" D. He improved leaps and bounds this year in Minor Midget, I really like his on ice play, but I've heard a few concerns which I won't elaborate on that prevented him from being as high as a potential late first rounder. I hope he works out because he already has great size and plays a very intelligent positional game. He will just need to be patient developing up through this blueline.

I can also see the team keeping Nikandrov and playing him top six. The kid blocks shots, does what it takes to win every night and consistently plays against the opposing team's top line, and plays with a ton of heart. He's not a big offensive guy, but for what he brings he doesn't need to put up huge numbers. I was personally surprised an NHL team didn't use atleast a 6th or a 7th on him. He would be a low risk pick that would be a true bottom six, team player, playing penalty kill, etc. I'm sure he gets a camp invite and I hope he keeps working hard. I also think he needs to stay because he and Goldobin have outstanding chemistry on the ice, again that is just my opinion.

I know the concern is this team is going to enter a full rebuild but I think they have several pieces to make them exciting. Goldobin is a potential top 10 pick in the NHL. Nikita Korestelev has a pro level shot right now today, so it's going to be interesting watching him play at this level. Brett Hargrave started to show flashes of the player he could be, so I think he could surprise. He still possess a lot of upside. Then you can look at guys like Jordan Addesi who hits everything that moves and leaves it all on the ice every game. Renaud who appears to have developed a bit of a nasty edge making him more effective in the second half. Then there's Noah Bushnell who was the Matt Martin of Ontario Minor Midget. I know how much fans here loved Martin, and I'm telling you Noah Bushnell plays the exact same game. Mean, physical, drops the gloves (even in Minor Midget) and has a good shot. Give him time and you guys will love him. Then there's Davis Brown. He also had flashes. he's not afraid of anything, skates fast and he has a laser of a release, he's a guy who could surprise. All of these guys are going to have one more year of development so I hope fans don't sell this team too short too fast. They may not be contenders but you're going to get to see a lot of young players develop.

By my count there's 6 potential NHL picks on this team for 2014. Nikolai Goldobin and Anthony DeAngelo are sure fire picks, Brett Hargrave, Jordan Addesi, Alexandre Renaud and Tyler Hore are all 6'2"-6'4" and could potentially still be growing. They all have a very real chance at being selected depending on how this season goes. I would love to see this team land Josh Jacobs (who plays in the USHL, they drafted in him 2012) he is another legitimate top 60 NHL pick which would push them to 7. Also some of their draft picks from 2012 could add to this team. First one that comes to mind is Centre Patrick White. He showed both some really good offensive flashes and the ability to take care of his own zone, so he could come in and contribute (and would be a 2014 eligible).

I'm also glad that when the coaching position became available, Trevor was given the opportunity. You talk to people in and out of hockey, players, coaches, agents, scouts, I have never heard one person say a bad word about Trevor Letowski. He's the guy that multiple former players of his, off the record have told me that everyone would go through a wall for him without hesitation. I remember when he filled in as coach a few years ago he made a rebuilding team competitive every night. I think this was a great decision by the organization, and I think he will get the very most out of this team.

I come on here very little, and comment even less but I thought it would be a good time to inject a little optimism about the future. No matter what I do, or where I go, Sarnia is my hometown, I was still in elementary school when the Sting came to Sarnia, so it's a part of my youth, and I'd like to see this organization reach it's potential. I've seen some of these kids before they played for Sarnia, or who have yet to play for Sarnia, and I think there's plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the future. I also hope when they fill the General Manager position they find someone who won't try to do too much too fast, build this team up with youth and improves it through the draft. This is a good year in the Western Conference to be young and building up, because it will be tough for any team not named the London Knights teams to make a serious run out of the West this year.
Ryan, great post.

That is all I have to say about that.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Ryan, great post.

That is all I have to say about that.
Lots of 411. thanks.
I do not see Goblin as a top 10 pick. I'll buy you a beer if he is. he will be drafted but show me something this year about your work ethic.
As for a couple of other guys and NHL draft, i've watched better players than Renaud, Addessi and Hore not get drafted...i.e. Dunnick, Sarault and Basso minus his flaws. If heart would earn being drafted Dundas and Chapman would have been surefire picks.
Hope i'm wrong cuz it is cheap entertainment for now.

Not sure of the depth of the eligible draft pool, but Hargrave and Tony D will get drafted. Hargrave probably late 2nd or 3rd round cuz of size.
As for goaltending. Barrick is #1 for now. Not sure of the options or the competition he faces but right now holds #1 by default.
nikadrapov is injury prone but has the skills, and according to other posers, he has the linguistic skills to be a Stinger.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:31 PM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Hello all the great people in Sarnia!
Hope you are all well
What an intriguing summer.
I know the Sting have lost a lot of firepower, but I am excited to see how Nikolay Goldobin plays in year 2, after being one of the best surprises last season.
Did he play much with Daniel Nikandrov?
I gather that the latter was more of a 2 way player?

Nikita Korestelev is another player I am very keen to learn about, having read in his OHL draft bio, that the kid has a truly wicked shot.
Has he skated in Sarnia yet? Has anyone saw him?
What are we speculating in year 1?

Then there`s the kid Anthony DeAngelo,who seems to have been there ages, and produced a bagfull of helpers last year, and gosh the team has some big "rigs" on the Roster...

Old
07-08-2013, 09:07 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Hello all the great people in Sarnia!
Hope you are all well
What an intriguing summer.
I know the Sting have lost a lot of firepower, but I am excited to see how Nikolay Goldobin plays in year 2, after being one of the best surprises last season.
Did he play much with Daniel Nikandrov?
I gather that the latter was more of a 2 way player?

Nikita Korestelev is another player I am very keen to learn about, having read in his OHL draft bio, that the kid has a truly wicked shot.
Has he skated in Sarnia yet? Has anyone saw him?
What are we speculating in year 1?

Then there`s the kid Anthony DeAngelo,who seems to have been there ages, and produced a bagfull of helpers last year, and gosh the team has some big "rigs" on the Roster...
Goldobin was a hell of a find for the Sting (thanks Larionov) so hopefully Kodola can produce half as much as Nicolay did.

Nikandrov was used in a secondary scoring role but wasn't part of the six or so that the coaching staff turned too. He was certainly an important part of defensive situations but I expect Letowski to provide him with more offensive minutes.

I was able to watch Nikita Korostelev several times in Toronto this season and he certainly was a great value pick at 9th overall for Sarnia. He possesses a VERY good shooting arsenal and his one-on-one skills are fyb as well, as he owns good hands. He played parts of the year injured so his production was somewhat inconsistent but he does have the potential to become a great pick for Sarnia. The biggest plus with Korostelev is that he is ready to play big minutes and on a young Sarnia team, he should soak up lots of offensive time.

DeAngelo has been and always will be fun (and nerve racking, at times) to watch. It will be interesting to see how he plays with Letowski at the helm. He should be competing for one of the top scoring defensemen in the OHL.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:23 PM
CameronNeely08
Seabass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
DeAngelo has been and always will be fun (and nerve racking, at times) to watch. It will be interesting to see how he plays with Letowski at the helm. He should be competing for one of the top scoring defensemen in the OHL.
I find him very frustrating to watch. He has a ton of skill, but too often he tries to make it the Tony D Show. I think he'll fit much better under Letowski's system though, sounds more suited for his style. He's gonna be a winner though, he's got crazy skill and can play lights out.

Closed Thread