HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Emery has signed a 1-yr deal for $1.65m. Will wear #29. (updates in post #1)

Old
07-05-2013, 07:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
Mason should at least get the chance to show what he can do this year so signing Emery to a long term deal (5 years???) at $3.5m or whatever seems entirely counterproductive.
Emery on a 5 year deal at 3.5m per?

You're planning on giving him starter money?

3.5m on a 2 year deal is fine to grab one of the better, if not the only legitimately low-risk 1Bs on the market (well lower-risk).

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:01 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
crawford = average goalie

emery = back up to crawford

both just won a cup bc chicago is the best team in the league

neither are that great

if were going to go with two average goalies for our tandem, might as well get someone cheaper than emery

i still say take the risk on thomas, but who knows what happens at this point

im excited for tomorrow i know that
This. Plus it was so far a one year illusion, they both looked like clowns last playoffs. But you keep on giving huge contracts to goalies who managed to not **** up behind a great team. It's bound to work some time.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:06 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
If I remember correctly, his hip was going through necrosis and basically the tissue was dying.

If nobody saw it coming through his entire life, you can't expect the Flyers' medical staff to rush in and go, "Well we better run Emery through some tests to see if his hips are literally dying of this rare disease that pretty much nobody has."
He had avascular necrosis in his femur head. After an injury cuts off the blood supply necrosis sets in within a week typically. This wasn't something he had his whole life or something the Flyers physicians could have seen or rather foreseen when they signed him. The injury occurred a little while before diagnosis.

I did a little research and it seems 15,000 cases of this are reported ever year (specifically in the femur head). It is a more common occurrence in the jaw but my main point is it really isn't that rare. I mean maybe relative to heart disease and so on yeah but not to necrotising fasciitis for example. Regardless the Flyers couldn't have known when they signed him that he would have complications.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 07-05-2013 at 08:12 AM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Curufinwe

Must be slow on the Pens board if they are coming in here to post in Emery threads.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:10 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
He had avascular necrosis in his femur head. After an injury cuts off the blood supply necrosis sets in within a week typically. This wasn't something he had his whole life or something the Flyers physicians could have seen or rather foreseen when they signed him. The injury occurred a little while before diagnosis.
That's exactly the point. I would've loved keeping Emery long-term based on his play that year. He wasn't the locker-room disaster he was reported to be, and he came on a relatively cheap contract. He could've been our goalie long-term if not for that freak degenerative necrosis (I thought it was at his hip though, and I thought it was a genetic issue). We might've even won a cup with him.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:15 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
That's exactly the point. I would've loved keeping Emery long-term based on his play that year. He wasn't the locker-room disaster he was reported to be, and he came on a relatively cheap contract. He could've been our goalie long-term if not for that freak degenerative necrosis (I thought it was at his hip though, and I thought it was a genetic issue). We might've even won a cup with him.
It was his femur head, which with the acetabulum (part of pelvis) forms the hip joint.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:17 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Emery on a 5 year deal at 3.5m per?

You're planning on giving him starter money?

3.5m on a 2 year deal is fine to grab one of the better, if not the only legitimately low-risk 1Bs on the market (well lower-risk).
Just taking the numbers from other posts. Emery on a 2 year deal would be ok, though 3.5 I'd rather lessen (but then I guess you always want a guy for less).

For that I'd rather try Khudobin but what I was trying to say that any long term deal seems like a bad deal as there are no long term guarenteed no.1 out there.

If you get Khudobin on a 2 year, $3.5m (which is a massive overpayment considering what he has been paid) I really don't see that both he and Mason tank playing 1A and 1B anymore than I could see Emery doing so. If one does well and the other not you have your no.1 and re-sign him letting the other backup until their deal expires / trade them.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:25 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
This. Plus it was so far a one year illusion, they both looked like clowns last playoffs. But you keep on giving huge contracts to goalies who managed to not **** up behind a great team. It's bound to work some time.
They all can't be Marc-Andre Fleury's.....

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:26 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Gagne - Richards - Carter
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Asham
Laperriere - Betts - Powe

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Krajicek - Parent

Leighton
Boucher

vs.

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Laughton - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
(Emery)

Offense: It's close, but I might go 2010 because Briere's postseasons are now a thing of the past. Couturier can't keep up with our big three from 2010 even if Lecavalier probably can. Hartnell and Giroux are the only returners, and Laughton trumps Asham. That means Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, and Read have to make up for Leino, vanRiemsdyk, Gagne, and Carter as well as make up for the difference offensively between Couturier and playoff Briere. Meanwhile Timonen and Streit are awesome, but offensively they're not quite Pronger and Timonen from 2010.

Defense: Again it's close, but I probably go 2010. This might be closer than the offense though. From the forwards, Hall is basically Betts. Couturier is basically Richards. Briere and Giroux are lesser defensively than Lecavalier and 2013 Giroux which is a nice plus for the defensive unit. On top of that, Gustafsson - Grossmann is miles, lightyears, eons, and universes better than Krajicek - Parent. Even so, you lose Pronger, and 2013 Timonen is not 2010 Timonen.

Goaltending: This is an easy win for 2013 if we sign Emery. Both goalies are decently better than their counterparts.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:35 AM
duffy9748

Quote:

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Krajicek - Parent

Leighton
Boucher

vs.

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
(Emery)

Offense: It's close, but I might go 2010 because Briere's postseasons are now a thing of the past. Couturier can't keep up with our big three from 2010 even if Lecavalier probably can. Hartnell and Giroux are the only returners, and Laughton trumps Asham. That means Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, and Read have to make up for Leino, vanRiemsdyk, Gagne, and Carter as well as make up for the difference offensively between Couturier and playoff Briere. Meanwhile Timonen and Streit are awesome, but offensively they're not quite Pronger and Timonen from 2010.

Defense: Again it's close, but I probably go 2010. This might be closer than the offense though. From the forwards, Hall is basically Betts. Couturier is basically Richards. Briere and Giroux are lesser defensively than Lecavalier and 2013 Giroux which is a nice plus for the defensive unit. On top of that, Gustafsson - Grossmann is miles, lightyears, eons, and universes better than Krajicek - Parent. Even so, you lose Pronger, and 2013 Timonen is not 2010 Timonen.

Goaltending: This is an easy win for 2013 if we sign Emery. Both goalies are decently better than their counterparts.
He did a better job of shutting down Malkin as a 19 year old then Carter or Richards ever did.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:37 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
He did a better job of shutting down Malkin as a 19 year old then Carter or Richards ever did.
Yeah, but offensively Richards + Playoff Briere + 2010 Giroux is better than 2013 Giroux + Lecavalier + Couturier and Coots is the man who brings down our offensive comparison to the 2010 team.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
You wanted a long-term goalie who was only putting up a .905 save percentage before he got hurt?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:50 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
You wanted a long-term goalie who was only putting up a .905 save percentage before he got hurt?
What goalie would you trade for and what assets are you willing to give up?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:51 AM
dats81

Quote:

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Krajicek - Parent

Leighton
Boucher

vs.

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
(Emery)

Goaltending:This is an easy win for 2013 if we sign Emery. Both goalies are decently better than their counterparts.
But Parent was considered our shut-down defenseman of the future ... easily the next Adam Foote in the making And Krajcek was brought in as an addtional puck mover but he **** the bed just like brutal Gervais.
All these old memories make we wanna puke instantly...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
What goalie would you trade for and what assets are you willing to give up?
I've said a few times I'd trade for Halak. Blues aren't going to want much salary back, if any. That's right down our alley.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:57 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
But Parent was considered our shut-down defenseman of the future ... easily the next Adam Foote in the making And Krajcek was brought in as an addtional puck mover but he **** the bed just like brutal Gervais.
All these old memories make we wanna puke instantly...
Parent was until his freaking back lost it.

Parent was looking to be a Schenn-esque defenseman until he had all those back problems.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:15 AM
3Fs

I have a 12pm doctors appointment, so I will miss the noon FA frenzy =(

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Just to be clear, I won't be stark-raving mad if we sign Emery to a reasonable contract. Just would be 'meh' to me as he's no more than my 5th choice considering trade options, and I think there would be more potential that 4 months into the season we're trying to trade for a goaltender anyways. Would rather just do it now.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:33 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Just to be clear, I won't be stark-raving mad if we sign Emery to a reasonable contract. Just would be 'meh' to me as he's no more than my 5th choice considering trade options, and I think there would be more potential that 4 months into the season we're trying to trade for a goaltender anyways. Would rather just do it now.
thnak you for clearing that up. now we can all go back to living our lives knowing what GJK's opinion on signing Emery is

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Krajicek - Parent

Leighton
Boucher

vs.

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
(Emery)

ill just say this. Leighton had some nice stats that year and in the postseason. I think it will be a far stretch to see mason or emery put up those type of numbers.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
thnak you for clearing that up. now we can all go back to living our lives knowing what GJK's opinion on signing Emery is
I would have had to have done it eventually when someone else called me out for complaining too much. Might as well just do it now and get it out of the way so more time can be spent laughing at the Leafs when they essentially trading Clarkson for Grabovski

Old
07-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Parent was until his freaking back lost it.

Parent was looking to be a Schenn-esque defenseman until he had all those back problems.
The moment Parent put on a flyers uniform it was so obvious he was not an NHLer. Lilja out performed him in his time here. We traded for the wrong nashville defenseman.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:44 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The moment Parent put on a flyers uniform it was so obvious he was not an NHLer. Lilja out performed him in his time here. We traded for the wrong nashville defenseman.
You obviously didn't watch Parent when he first suited up for the Flyers.......

Old
07-05-2013, 09:46 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
I would have had to have done it eventually when someone else called me out for complaining too much. Might as well just do it now and get it out of the way so more time can be spent laughing at the Leafs when they essentially trading Clarkson for Grabovski
APpreciate your other post GKJ to understand where you were coming from. Some of us are actually having conversations on the topic and not trying to be jackasses.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:48 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkj1985x View Post
That guy is molded from the hottest garbage on this planet.

Just plain awful....if he hit on something (and he's been trying for a LONG time) then he should immediately go buy some powerball tickets.
Rich Smith ‏@ALLsportsINTEL 1h
BREAKING NHL UPDATE - Source reports the Detroit Red Wings have a deal in place with long time Senators star Daniel Alfredsson.

He was the first to post Alfie to Detroit. Had that before anyone this morning. Seems like he knows some stuff.