HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you/do you think you will be happy with the Briere signing?

View Poll Results: Are you happy?
Yes 211 48.96%
No 220 51.04%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2013, 05:48 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by warsawyak View Post
A big NO! Yes, I'm from the 'size wins cup', 'getting bigger' camp.
so edgy

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:49 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
I voted no, but im not upset or outraged. Its a minor move in the grand scheme of things, and we are a better team with briere on the roster than without (even if hes not the player i would have targetted. Anyway bergy isnt done yet hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warsawyak View Post
A big NO! Yes, I'm from the 'size wins cup', 'getting bigger' camp.
Size does not win cups.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Voted yes. We didn't lose any asset by acquiring him and his 2 years contract will not block us in any ways from re-signing players like Subban long-term. In fact, it will let us move some resources for other assets that will help us more. It's not like if we traded McDonagh to get him. I prefer to have an extra card up our sleeve, even if it's a weak one. He'll also fill a gap next year when we probably won't re-sign Gionta and that we might lack leadership in the locker room.

Again, 2 years is just the perfect length; worst case it's going to be a failed experience with no setback. Plus, I don't see ourselves getting some better player through free agency. Also, this is a stretch, but I really hope he could help Leblanc bounce back.
I voted yes. Thanks for saving me some typing Spree.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:03 AM
NelloMello

Difficult to say for now. If we keep Gionta, Desharnais, Plek...than yes. We're simply too small and goes completely against the grain to what Bergevin has been preaching all year about adding size, grit character etc...now, if he plans to trade either one of the players I've mentioned to add size than yes I'm happy. For now, I'm on the fence. Free agent frenzy starts at noon so we'll see what else is added (if any) to the roster.
Is Scuderi (LA Kings) a free agent? He would definitely be one player I'd go after. Other than that, I do not see anyone else.

NelloMello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:07 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Voted yes. We didn't lose any asset by acquiring him and his 2 years contract will not block us in any ways from re-signing players like Subban long-term. In fact, it will let us move some resources for other assets that will help us more. It's not like if we traded McDonagh to get him. I prefer to have an extra card up our sleeve, even if it's a weak one. He'll also fill a gap next year when we probably won't re-sign Gionta and that we might lack leadership in the locker room.

Again, 2 years is just the perfect length; worst case it's going to be a failed experience with no setback. Plus, I don't see ourselves getting some better player through free agency. Also, this is a stretch, but I really hope he could help Leblanc bounce back.
couldn't be said any better than that

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Dagistitsyn

Yes. Especially if DD gets moved for someone useful.

Dagistitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Go Habs Go

I don't have anything against briere but the fact that the team went after him and lecavalier is worrisome to me. Perhaps its a coincidence but I hope they're not just going after these guys because of their names. I don't like the idea that they're trying to please the fans at the expense of team improvement. This smells like Molsons doing. Whatever moves we do should be to improve the team, not sell jerseys.

Kinda like how the leafs brought Clark back at all cost.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Yes, I think it will work out for him here

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:43 AM
yianik

Im not thrilled about this signing to say the least. If we were bigger in general I wouldn't mind it as much, though that he is 35 and his production has declined is concerning regardless of size. However, given his puck skills he should really be able to help the power play. I mean with PK and Markov back there we have a deadly attack from the blue line, but we were really lacking in somebody being able to create plays and pressure from the half-boards, Briere should be able to do that. Give Briere room and he will head to the net and shoot, pressure him and he has the skill and composure to pass the puck to the player who now has some space or an open shooting lane.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
...Size does not win cups.
But having no size doesnt even get you in the series. We'll be the fastest bestest most dangerous team in the league that didnt even qualify to get in the post season.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

A big no for now, but DD being traded would help.

I'm definitely hoping the "no" changes to "yes" soon.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:53 AM
fredflag

We need to wait until the start of the season to see if it's a good or a bad signing.
If we remove some smurf in our lineup and beef up the wing, it could end up being a good one.
If we get stuck with DD, Gionta, Briere and Gally in our top 6 forward, we are in trouble.

The problem is that Briere do not fill any need right now. Perhaps he will before the start of the season.
Adn who know, perhaps he will have a kick ass season and we will all eat crows...

fredflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:47 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Yes. We gave up nothing and got a playoff beast.

Simple as that.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Coldplay
Courage

No, but that doesn't mean it won't becomes yes if he produces. Just doesn't feel like a good fit at this point, but MB may not be done.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:06 AM
TennisMenace

I voted no, but if we get rid of DD and Gionta I would then vote yes.

As you can see, I do not want 4 smurfs on our top 2 lines.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Voted no, expected to see like 95% no votes, was shocked to see only a 60/40 split. I can't understand how any Habs fan likes this signing at this point. It doesn't mean it couldn't still pan out, or that Bergevin couldn't have other tricks up his sleeve, but until all that actually happens, I just can't see how anybody likes this signing.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Meh minimal risk. Always fun to gamble on struggling talent with something to prove. Were we worse off than yesterday? Don't think so. So can't complain much
- are we worse off the yesterday?

I think it fair to call it a "we'll see". Briere, playing as he was last year & with concussion issue could just as easily prove a major disappointment at a 4M$ cap hit as he could "bounce back"

But beyond that neutral reality, what does it say of the psyche of a fan base/organization reduced to asking
"are we WORSE than yesterday"

Instead of

"are we BETTER than yesterday"

the question you posed is more indicative of the problem than whatever the answer may be.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:20 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Voted no, expected to see like 95% no votes, was shocked to see only a 60/40 split. I can't understand how any Habs fan likes this signing at this point. It doesn't mean it couldn't still pan out, or that Bergevin couldn't have other tricks up his sleeve, but until all that actually happens, I just can't see how anybody likes this signing.
I'm not surprised. Pretty much the fans on all teams will be equally divided in one of the following three categories:
1. accept all moves by GM and hope GM knows best
2. skeptic on all GM moves and think they know more than GM
3. open minded, take case by case scenario

Thus, you pretty much are going to have 33% of the guys here voting yes as a minimum. If they got 40%, that means 7% of the category 3 guys voted yes but 26% voted no.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Andy

Quote:
Well articulated and sums up my view on this issue. As it stands right now...the move doesn't inspiring confidence. Until other moves occur (if they occur at all), this is just baffling.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Darth Joker

I initially disliked the signing (for much the same reasons that others have already mentioned), but I've since warmed to it.

Ryder was leaving. So we had two choices there:

1. Give his role to a prospect, and just hope the prospect is up to the task.

2. Sign a veteran to fill Ryder's role.

Given our current group of prospects, and given how two of them are already playing an important role on the Habs, I think that going for a veteran was the right approach.

Now, of the Top Six winger options out there, how many were willing to sign with the Habs for a sensible length/cap hit? We don't know for sure, of course, but going by some of the reports out there, it might not be many. I'd prefer Horton, but he reportedly wants to play in a warm climate market (so that rules out Montreal). I'd prefer Clarkson, but he reportedly wants insane money. I'd prefer Iginla, but Iginla probably isn't willing to sign here.

So... who else is left? Briere might have been the only real option out there. If so, I find it hard to blame MB for taking it.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
'Cause the question is about the signing itself...not the overall summer. If it stays like that, a resounding no will be heard. But in Brière you add a guy who is great on the PP, who is a well known very good playoff performer, you add a guy who wants to proove that he still belongs and you add a guy who, while playing at home, will do everything he can to REALLY proove he does belong. You get a motivated, still very good, but declining, player. Again, if this team would all be 6'4'' and we'd be added Brière, we'd love the signing....so I go beyond that and STILL like the signing for what it is. Thing is...who in this UFA market, right now, was desperately willing to come here for the kind of combination of money and years we can afford?

Yes, Bergevin needs to address toughness and quality of D. Let's ask the question in September again and if nothing is done, you'll see that there will be no Yes left....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
As of now, I'd say no.

This signing by itself just doesn't make sense. Other moves could be made, of course. But I have my doubts about that as well. Like, we're gonna trade Eller for a D.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

No I'm not happy and I'd like to be proven wrong, but that would mean I'd have to see his retarded fist pump.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
btallett

obviously he isn't the big body we needed but he brings alot to the table. He's going to try really hard here in montreal and its going to be exciting to see him score throughout the season. Moving DD would just be the cherry on the cake.

btallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:45 AM
lou

More roster moves need to be made before this becomes a decent signing IMO.

lou is offline   Reply With Quote