HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best stick for around $100

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2013, 12:04 PM
  #26
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokedBee View Post
I am going to be switching to a Int stick to try the lower (appropriate) flex for me so the $60 price tag and good things I've read about it seems like a good fit.

Any idea what the Sakic curve is called?
Easton = Hall
Bauer = P92
Warrior = Kopitar
CCM = Nugent-Hopkins
Reebok = Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Is there anywhere that lists sticks by their weight? I'm in the same boat in terms of how much money I can spend, and the weight of the stick really matters to me but I haven't found a place that lets you easily sort sticks based off of that criteria.
Total Hockey and Ice Warehouse list the weights of some sticks, but you'd have to dig through and find it all. How light are you trying to go?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:22 PM
  #27
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Easton = Hall
Bauer = P92
Warrior = Kopitar
CCM = Nugent-Hopkins
Reebok = Crosby
Also Easton is going away from names, so P3 is the curve number which may be all you see on the RSII and upcoming sticks.

Also, Warrior is changing again and its going to be the Henrique on the new Covert lineup in the fall.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:24 PM
  #28
SpokedBee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
I was asking if anyone knew what the Sakic/Hall/Draper/etc curve equivalent is for Montreal.

SpokedBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:56 PM
  #29
SpokedBee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
I ended up getting a widow from HockeyMonkey for $110 after shipping. They have a 20% off everything code:Love20 going now FYI. I'll post my results moving from Sr. to Int after I use it.

SpokedBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:10 PM
  #30
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,298
vCash: 500
weight can be deceptive as one stick that's a little heavier than another may feel lighter due to better balance. imo, the mako m2 II has the best balance among the 100 options.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
  #31
Pajicz
Registered User
 
Pajicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country:
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Is it just me, or have the lower end sticks improved during the last couple years?

Previously I always had to buy clearance high-end sticks, but now those cheaper models feel pretty good too. Especially the weight isn't such a problem anymore.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
  #32
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Total Hockey and Ice Warehouse list the weights of some sticks, but you'd have to dig through and find it all. How light are you trying to go?
Yeah, I was hoping there was a list somewhere but I guess not. As light as I can get for as little money as possible honestly. I have an Easton EQ10 right now and I really just don't like it (I bought it because I had no choice with the limited funds at the time when my stick broke). I'm the only lefty on my team or I wouldn't have had to waste my money on it, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
weight can be deceptive as one stick that's a little heavier than another may feel lighter due to better balance. imo, the mako m2 II has the best balance among the 100 options.
What about the Stealth 65S II?

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:16 AM
  #33
wingnutks
Registered User
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
Would I be better off with a $60-$70 clearance composite or a shearwood 5030? Are composites in that price range equal or better than wood?

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  #34
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Yeah, I was hoping there was a list somewhere but I guess not. As light as I can get for as little money as possible honestly. I have an Easton EQ10 right now and I really just don't like it (I bought it because I had no choice with the limited funds at the time when my stick broke). I'm the only lefty on my team or I wouldn't have had to waste my money on it, haha.



What about the Stealth 65S II?
Also an excellent stick. You can find the 65S original (red) on clearance as well. The Mako M2 II stood out to me among the newer sticks. Incredibly well balanced. I actually think that entire lineup (M1 II to Mako II) is among the best I've seen in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Is it just me, or have the lower end sticks improved during the last couple years?

Previously I always had to buy clearance high-end sticks, but now those cheaper models feel pretty good too. Especially the weight isn't such a problem anymore.
It absolutely has. The $100 pricepoint is a hotly contested pricepoint, with everyone making good stuff and letting their tech trickle down more and more. I'm thinking that soon, $150 will be the new 'hot' pricepoint. Right where clearance high end sticks, mid-high sticks and prostocks are priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Would I be better off with a $60-$70 clearance composite or a shearwood 5030? Are composites in that price range equal or better than wood?
If you can get the composite in your preferred curve and flex, then go for it. Check out Jarick's stick thread for more info.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:56 AM
  #35
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Also an excellent stick. You can find the 65S original (red) on clearance as well. The Mako M2 II stood out to me among the newer sticks. Incredibly well balanced. I actually think that entire lineup (M1 II to Mako II) is among the best I've seen in years.
I just placed an order for the 65S II because there was free shipping on it versus the original I found, which gave me a $10 price difference.

Will let you know how it goes Trying the Cammalleri curve for the first time.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:43 PM
  #36
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,682
vCash: 500
I love my matte finish Bauer one60.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:58 AM
  #37
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I just placed an order for the 65S II because there was free shipping on it versus the original I found, which gave me a $10 price difference.

Will let you know how it goes Trying the Cammalleri curve for the first time.
Cool man, please do. I use that curve on 1/3 of my sticks, it will take more follow through and direction in order to pick your shots. Definitely take the time to adjust. Love the curve for passing though.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
  #38
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Cool man, please do. I use that curve on 1/3 of my sticks, it will take more follow through and direction in order to pick your shots. Definitely take the time to adjust. Love the curve for passing though.
Tried it last Sunday for the first and only time so far, but I really enjoyed it. Felt like I was able to control some bouncing pucks a bit better and liked the way it felt for the most part. Just need some getting used to, but so far it was really enjoyable and I can't wait for my game this week.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:27 AM
  #39
sanityplease
Registered User
 
sanityplease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 756
vCash: 50
Just got a two-pack deal of 65s II's for $119 @ SC.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
  #40
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,525
vCash: 500
Feel free to start a Review thread of the Easton Stealth II series if you'd like!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
  #41
stocky
Registered User
 
stocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: B-ville
Country: United States
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
I recently bought a nexus 600. I like it a lot so far

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:29 PM
  #42
ATLhockey437
Registered User
 
ATLhockey437's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
I recently bought a nexus 600. I like it a lot so far
came here to post this, very light for a $100 stick

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:25 PM
  #43
holden57
Registered User
 
holden57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,114
vCash: 500
I got my TPS R6 Response for 60 bucks. 470 grams, and not a bad stick at all. My buddy bought an R8 for 100 after he saw mine.

holden57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:51 AM
  #44
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,998
vCash: 226
Sherwood sticks are priced the best. An N8 is a solid stick for around $100.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:45 AM
  #45
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
easton s7 intermediate was a rad 70 bucks for me.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:29 AM
  #46
jazzykat
Registered User
 
jazzykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Winnwell GX-8s were $55 a few weeks ago at a giant online store.

It is light 490 grams and I like it.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:53 PM
  #47
markisonfire
Registered User
 
markisonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Clearance stuff. Seriously. Ignore my signature for a second.

http://discounthockey.com/sticks/com...ck-senior.html

The original Easton Mako is only $149.99, minus 10% if you register, and free shipping. That's $135 out the door for a stick that cost $250 a year ago.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.