HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres re-sign Matt Ellis

Old
07-03-2013, 01:42 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

vCash: 500
i like the fact that McCormick will be back with the big club this year.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
Where did you see that? I doubt that very much. Even on a one way they'd still keep him in Roch, I would think.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
What makes you think that?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/dar...-thomas-vanek/

Quote:
Meanwhile, Regier said forward Cody McCormick, who was also sent to the AHL last season, will either be with the Sabres in 2013-14 or somewhere else in the NHL. He doesn’t think McCormick will clear waivers again. A trade is possible.
I think the comment about a trade is Hoppe's opinion not what Regier said but I'm not 100% sure.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

I think the comment about a trade is Hoppe's opinion not what Regier said but I'm not 100% sure.
I disagree with Regier. I think he clears waivers easily.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:07 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
I disagree with Regier. I think he clears waivers easily.
It's at least less likely than last season since he's only got one year left on his deal.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:28 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
It said it later in the article. Its interesting.

Edit OP article didn't note a trade ..what team would want him and for what?

Last edited by SundherDome: 07-03-2013 at 02:34 PM.
SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Sabres agree to terms with Ellis on two-year deal:
Quote:
Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier today announced that the team has agreed to terms with forward Matt Ellis on a two-year, two-way contract.

Ellis (6’0”, 212 lbs., 8/31/81), an eight-year NHL veteran, played in his fifth season with the Sabres in 2012-13. He appeared in six games with Buffalo before lacing up for the Rochester Americans (AHL), where he played in 32 games and tallied 12 points (7+5). Through his eight NHL seasons, Ellis has amassed 41 points (16+25) and 81 penalty minutes through 267 games.

A native of Welland, Ont., Ellis joined Buffalo on Oct. 1, 2008, when he was claimed off waivers from Los Angeles. He was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Detroit on May 10, 2002 after playing junior hockey with the St. Michael’s Majors.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

Kevin O wrote on it too:
Quote:
Don’t expect McCormick with the Amerks

Center (or winger) Cody McCormick has one year at $1 million remaining on his contract but Regier apparently doesn’t expect him to be with the organization.

He won’t have a roster spot in Buffalo and Regier believes someone will claim McCormick on waivers. His play in the playoff series against Toronto will probably make a team or two consider claiming him. The price is right and he could be a good fourth liner on a team that needs grit and toughness.

McCormick, 30, was sent to the Amerks on Feb. 21 and scored 6-5-11 in 25 games (plus 42 penalty minutes). He scored a goal and had 26 penalty minutes in the three playoff games.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:28 PM
La Cosa Nostra
TOMMY KARATE

It's a sad situation about Cody McCormick.He was one of my unheralded favorites on the team.I remember his debut for us against Boston in the playoffs and he definitely made a huge impact immediately, throwing huge checks constantly and got an assist iirc in his first game.The Bruins were legitimately shocked when Cody made his debut because up until then the Sabres were shying away from contact.Cody came in and started banging the body and the rest of the team followed suit.

He then had the one year where he had the 8 goal,20 point season and turned that into the 3 year deal.Many assumed after he signed the deal that he would solidify a spot on the bottom 2 lines and provide hits,strong defensive play and a few goals.I think he suffered a concussion that next season and he has never been the same since that.Regardless, he never should have got the 3/3.6 deal after just one semi productive season.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
It's a sad situation about Cody McCormick.He was one of my unheralded favorites on the team.I remember his debut for us against Boston in the playoffs and he definitely made a huge impact immediately, throwing huge checks constantly and got an assist iirc in his first game.The Bruins were legitimately shocked when Cody made his debut because up until then the Sabres were shying away from contact.Cody came in and started banging the body and the rest of the team followed suit.

He then had the one year where he had the 8 goal,20 point season and turned that into the 3 year deal.Many assumed after he signed the deal that he would solidify a spot on the bottom 2 lines and provide hits,strong defensive play and a few goals.I think he suffered a concussion that next season and he has never been the same since that.Regardless, he never should have got the 3/3.6 deal after just one semi productive season.
I thought he was going to be a staple on our 4th line for a few years, the way Mair was. His play definitely trailed off after that concussion.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I thought he was going to be a staple on our 4th line for a few years, the way Mair was. His play definitely trailed off after that concussion.
Same. He could skate, forecheck, he dropped the mitts.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:46 PM
dotcommunism

Per Capgeek, two year deal, two-way both years, 550k NHL salary, 300k minor league salary

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:36 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Per Capgeek, two year deal, two-way both years, 550k NHL salary, 300k minor league salary
Pretty good change for an AHL deal. Nice that Pegula allows it because past regimes wouldn't for Rochester. I hope they sign a Locke or St. Pierre for scoring and helping the kids. Ellis, a veteran scorer, a veteran defenseman (similar to Morrisson/Pardy), and a reclamation project would be 4 good vets for the farm to mix well with all the young guns.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
It's not uncommon for someone to get KO'ed and never return the same. Sadly...

I had high hopes for him, too. Well, not too high, but I thought he'd be a staple on the 4th line. He doesn't fight too much anymore, and he's not nearly as physical.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote