HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you/do you think you will be happy with the Briere signing?

View Poll Results: Are you happy?
Yes 211 48.96%
No 220 51.04%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2013, 11:10 AM
calder candidate

vCash: 500
Regardless of Briere, Gionta is on is way out it is his last year of is contract. Biere contract is going to be a probleme because next year we still have to resign PK, Eller and Emelin who will all get raises also MB will have to make some decision about Markov and Diaz plus next year free agent crop should be a lot deeper then this year.

Briere raplace Gionta, we all want to get rid of Gionta and is Cap hit...
Briere replace Ryder, the only reason we got Ryder iss to get rid of Cole contract... and we let Ryder walk away...
Briere is at the end of is carrer is best years are behind him
Briere Familly is staying in Philly... Hello commitment

Briere as nothing to lose by coming here he is at the of is career, it great for is visibility, after career and public opinon + no one else offered anywhere near 4M$ for 2 years.
MB gain some pts since he could sign lecavalier or any other high profile UFA he can now say that he sign a quebecois which is good to please the fanfan and RDS (which can talk about anything but he habs) but it isn't a great hockey move in the long run and if Briere doesn't get a good start it would be a good move at all. I compare this to the Laraque signing... execpt Laraque was suppose to bring something that was missing in MTL, Briere is bring more of what we already have...

spare me the I wanted to play in Montreal PR bull... Also there no way Briere was our first option for MB he was like a last dish effort to salvage a stricking out with Lecavalier, Horton, Clarkson, and all the other that resign before the deadline... I think Briere will be better than Ryder and Gionta for Mtl but than again there 15 other player that would of been better for less $
I'm ok with Briere I just hate the contract...

calder candidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Poll needs a "No, but...." option for those of us that are OK with Briere, but not OK with the team getting smaller and smaller.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:23 AM
NotProkofievian

Man, that is a deep poll question.

"Are you happy?"

...well...I don't know!

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Habsfool

Like Legolas said in LOTR

Theyre Taking the hobbits to Montreal !!!
Moonnntreaalll montreallll

Habsfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Guy Caballero

Can you please add "meh" as an option

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfool View Post
Like Legolas said in LOTR

Moonnntreaalll montreallll

Now I have this image of Bergevin and Therrien in full orc gear, running away with DD, Gio and Briere under their arms!

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

It's a temporary patch and he'll wear out long before the playoffs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Darth Joker

So... any changed minds on this after what Clarkson and Clowe signed for?

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Can safely say no considering we have not addressed any of our needs.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
I initially disliked the signing (for much the same reasons that others have already mentioned), but I've since warmed to it.

Ryder was leaving. So we had two choices there:

1. Give his role to a prospect, and just hope the prospect is up to the task.

2. Sign a veteran to fill Ryder's role.

Given our current group of prospects, and given how two of them are already playing an important role on the Habs, I think that going for a veteran was the right approach.

Now, of the Top Six winger options out there, how many were willing to sign with the Habs for a sensible length/cap hit? We don't know for sure, of course, but going by some of the reports out there, it might not be many. I'd prefer Horton, but he reportedly wants to play in a warm climate market (so that rules out Montreal). I'd prefer Clarkson, but he reportedly wants insane money. I'd prefer Iginla, but Iginla probably isn't willing to sign here.

So... who else is left? Briere might have been the only real option out there. If so, I find it hard to blame MB for taking it.
Bouchard, who signed 1-year, 2M with islanders, would have been a much better option.

- cheaper, younger, shorter term, better fit (still smallish, but more effective defensively & better compliment @RW to pretty much any of our LW-C duos.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Bouchard, who signed 1-year, 2M with islanders, would have been a much better option.

- cheaper, younger, shorter term, better fit (still smallish, but more effective defensively & better compliment @RW to pretty much any of our LW-C duos.
Bouchard may be the softest player in the entire league. Briere goes to the dirty areas and plays with an edge (downright dirty at times).

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Bouchard may be the softest player in the entire league. Briere goes to the dirty areas and plays with an edge (downright dirty at times).
We already have 2 tiny players not scared to go to the "dirty" areas... Briere is redundant in that regard.

Bouchard may be a perimeter player, but if he gets back anywhere close to his pre-concussion level of play (healthy all season last year, bodes well for performance improvement this year with fully healthy offseason prep), he'll be far more effective than briere at 1/2 the price.

I can't imagine you're trying to argue that briere sans-flyers bodyguards, is going to make us "tougher" to play against, are you?

And if he's not bringing that element, Bouchard was clearly a superior option.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:50 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

If it means sapping away DD's icetime and providing us with GOALS--something DD tends to pass on, literally--I'm all for it. Although, I'm sure there will be many times I'll hate his lack of defense, but he'll provide skill and excitement.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Knowing that the UFA market gives out very inflated salaries, the only thing that really shocked me about clarkson was the length of term.

In Clowe's case, my god. He just committed a major robbery and got away with it.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I voted no, but im not upset or outraged. Its a minor move in the grand scheme of things, and we are a better team with briere on the roster than without (even if hes not the player i would have targetted. Anyway bergy isnt done yet hopefully)

Size does not win cups.
Of course it does.

People forget how big and strong our teams in the 1970s were... You don't have to be the biggest team to win (though it helps) but good luck winning if you're the smallest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Yes. Especially if DD gets moved for someone useful.
One has nothing to do with the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Voted no, expected to see like 95% no votes, was shocked to see only a 60/40 split. I can't understand how any Habs fan likes this signing at this point. It doesn't mean it couldn't still pan out, or that Bergevin couldn't have other tricks up his sleeve, but until all that actually happens, I just can't see how anybody likes this signing.
I don't understand it either. But people defended the Samsonov move, the Gomez one, the Kaberle one...

Outside this forum I think people realize that this was a horrible move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause the question is about the signing itself...not the overall summer. If it stays like that, a resounding no will be heard. But in Brière you add a guy who is great on the PP, who is a well known very good playoff performer, you add a guy who wants to proove that he still belongs and you add a guy who, while playing at home, will do everything he can to REALLY proove he does belong. You get a motivated, still very good, but declining, player. Again, if this team would all be 6'4'' and we'd be added Brière, we'd love the signing....so I go beyond that and STILL like the signing for what it is. Thing is...who in this UFA market, right now, was desperately willing to come here for the kind of combination of money and years we can afford?

Yes, Bergevin needs to address toughness and quality of D. Let's ask the question in September again and if nothing is done, you'll see that there will be no Yes left....
I don't think people will change at all. Maybe a few here and there...
Quote:
No. Has nothing to do with anything. Just because other teams were lemmings off a cliff doesn't mean that we had to follow. The only good thing about the move was that we're only saddled with him for two years.

And a NMC? Just a joke...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Voted no, expected to see like 95% no votes, was shocked to see only a 60/40 split. I can't understand how any Habs fan likes this signing at this point. It doesn't mean it couldn't still pan out, or that Bergevin couldn't have other tricks up his sleeve, but until all that actually happens, I just can't see how anybody likes this signing.
That's cause the novelty factor plays into this. Fans are still intrigued by what he may bring.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:35 PM
ForeverHabs97

I'm not so mad about the Briere signing, Renaud Lavoie from RDS mentionned 52 pts in 45 games or something... That's just what we need here in MTL!

ForeverHabs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:37 PM
couris

excellent signing. I think only on HFboards people arent happy.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Cedream

Voted yes cause im happy with the term of the contract

Cedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:41 PM
optimus2861

Honestly, no. This feels like a "we'd better go sign a Quebecois" move, mixed with a dash of "Oh crap we didn't get Vinnie! Who's plan B?" The guy's 35, he's a midget, and he's on the downside of his career. We weren't a strong contender without him in the lineup and his signing doesn't push us closer to becoming one.

I loathe "political" hockey moves, and this organization just can't stop itself from making them. I fear it's what will keep us perennially a step or two behind everyone else in the NHL.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Micheal Ryder is a better player in the same role, signed for the same amount of years for less money and is a way smaller aging risk.

Habs were better of with what they already had.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:43 PM
peate
Good grief!

Voted yes. Not overly excited but I guess it's a wait and see proposition. He could turn out to be a 20-25 goal production man which isn't bad. Then again, maybe not...but it's a good gamble.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I don't think he's the type of player that should have been targeted, so count me in the "not happy" category. Having said that, the novelty factor is always exciting.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:25 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yes. Easily. But for how long?
No, not easily, and probably not at all.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:50 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

He's going to get killed on our squad before the playoffs. I predict December. Just my .02

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote