HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The cost ($$) of youth hockey

Old
07-05-2013, 02:05 AM
AZPenguins

vCash: 500
My parents never would have been ale to afford for me to play hockey as a kid. I always played football. The teams had all the pads you needed, we were just responsible for cleats (some teams even had cleats kids could borrow) mouth guards and cups.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:31 AM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

My Dad and I talk about the cost of my little brother (11) playing hockey out here in the SJ area all the time. He is finally going to start doing travel this upcoming season. It is crazy money.

deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Crease

Mentioned this to my Dad the other day. He said that a year in junior cost as much as a semester at college.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I have a Cousin in Toronto, 3 boys, all of them were AAA, averaged $10K per kid per season including camp, 7 days in the summer, excluding his own & his wifes time, travel, driving all over the GTA... of course, he also sent the 3 of them to a private school, loaded & could afford it but still. One got a full scholarship to a Div 1 NCAA College, another after College playing semi-pro, the youngest in Jr. Insane money compared to what it was when he & I played in the late 60's on at the then same level. When I asked him if he hadnt lost his mind or what, he figured it was a good investment because first they just loved the game and it built character, and secondly, theyd get at least an education out of it and on a full ride scholarship and it looks like he was right after all.
Pretty sure if he just banked the money spent on hockey, the education money would be there. So the free ride scholarship was really paid years before.

Team sports are great for a kids development but they don't have to be expensive. Start young and play houseleague, if the kid truly is good people will help the kid along so money wouldn't be a factor.

It does amaze me that parents will travel all over the country to watch their kids play hockey. Could you imagine asking these same parents to support the kids education in the same manner? For example, there are three physics lectures this weekend in Ottawa, Saturday 7am & 7pm plus one Sunday at noon. If you do well in the test, there is another lecture 9pm Sunday night. Total cost should be around a thousand bucks.... Depending on how much you drink.

The following weekend there are math lectures in Montreal....

Last edited by Confucius: 07-05-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:53 AM
AngryBoss

My son's going to play travel hockey for the first time this year. That's $1200 for travel registration, plus $500 for regular registration.
After that, we're expected to pay $500 for 'swag'.
Then there's the gas, hotel, eating expenses for road trips.

We'll also probably be playing around 80 games this year. For a 7 year-old.

I'm none too happy about this, but my son is really excited about playing travel hockey.

We'll see how the season goes. I loathe the mentality of elitist teams and because my son's a goalie I know the pressure that will be placed on him.
I'm hoping that next year we'll be in house-league.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBoss View Post
My son's going to play travel hockey for the first time this year. That's $1200 for travel registration, plus $500 for regular registration.

I'm none too happy about this, but my son is really excited about playing travel hockey.

We'll see how the season goes. I loathe the mentality of elitist teams and because my son's a goalie I know the pressure that will be placed on him.
It should be a fun year. My experience taught me travel hockey is just as much about the party weekend parents enjoy.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
It should be a fun year. My experience taught me travel hockey is just as much about the party weekend parents enjoy.
And for the kids, it's all about the knee hockey in the hotel hallways.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:57 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Pretty sure if he just banked the money spent on hockey, the education money would be there. So the free ride scholarship was really paid years before.
This is why the economics of playing at an elite level don't add up. Unless you are some kind of Crosby-like phenom, you're better off saving the money and time and working your way to college the traditional way. At the end of the day you'll have more money in your pocket, more flexibility in where you can go to college, and you'll have become a more well-rounded person in the process.

I wonder what NHL execs think of this behind closed doors. It's one thing to make token, PR-based efforts at bringing hockey to urban youth and whatnot. But in terms of the actual grassroots health of the sport, this really ought to be sending up warning flags.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:41 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whipple View Post
Yeah, I'm sure he means field lacrosse. The vast majority of lax in the US is field.

The rich kid stigma has less to do about cost than it does with how the game has grown. At least in the South from my perspective having been a part of it playing growing up in Virginia, and then now as a coach in North Carolina. Typically it starts in the private schools. Thus the view that it is a rich kid sport. Then you'll see public club teams (not school affiliated) pop up, finally followed by being in the public schools. You even see it at the university level that it tends to be easier for private schools to add teams than public ones.

The cost is a factor, though I know our local program is doing what they can with things like equipment exchanges and rentals, and even scholarships to help kids with the cost of playing. US Lacrosse is a great national governing board for the sport offering a lot of incentives like grants and stick donations to new programs to help promote the game, as well.

I'm not sure if there is much help like that for youth hockey players. It would go a long way to help get kids interested and involved, especially at the younger levels.

Lacrosse is definitely one of the fastest growing sports in youth and at the college level. Heck I think the University of Denver got into the Lacrosse Championships, what a great step forward for a team out west did that.

I know Lacrosse here in Washington has exploded, when I played back in the mid-90s, we had maybe 10-12 schools in Washington that played, and 2 schools in pierce county, Now I think you have 40 or so boys high schools and 40-50 girls high schools that play. I Know they have petitioned the WIAA to allow lacrosse to be a state sanctioned sport, but I believe at this time it is still a club sport.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ya that was pretty much my rejoinder to him, that in fact he was paying for their College/University tuition when dropping $10K+ a year on each one one of them from like Pee Wee through Midget. Fortunate/lucky that they were offered Scholarships, didnt get hurt or derailed by "life stuff" as a lot of teenagers do, able to take advantage of it. Even with inflation being taken into account, going back 35-40 years, if you played in the then top designation of AA in the THL/MTHL (now GTHL of course) the Registration Fee was maybe $200, and you had to pay like $2 or whatever at the gate at Ted Reeve, Leaside or wherever. Equipment, top of the line, Tacks or Bauer Supremes, Gloves etc & a dozen sticks might set someone back $300. Goalie pads, blocker, trapper etc, maybe $700, top of the line & lasted several years. Skate & equipment exchanges held in Church basements, schools etc. You could in fact, goalie or forward do the whole thing for less than $100, and good stuff. Most neighbourhoods as well, from Scarborough to Etobicoke, hundreds of community rinks, free, shinny all day & night from December through March.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:51 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Saw a report that one out of every 11 lacrosse players get a scholarship compared to 1 out of every 45 football players and 1 out of every 52 baseball players.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Saw a report that one out of every 11 lacrosse players get a scholarship compared to 1 out of every 45 football players and 1 out of every 52 baseball players.
A very poor comparison for a lot of reasons.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Marotte Marauder

The OP's article had the figures a bit high from my experience. I paid around 35K for 13 years of my son's playing "career".

It was the equivalent of roughly one new car over that time frame, easy trade off for me.

I would not trade a minute of the time spent with my only son, nor the bond we developed around the game we both love. He came home from games/practices happy, tired from working hard and made life long friends with good kids of the same background.

Best "investment" I could have ever made!

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:04 PM
TCNorthstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
And this is exactly why I couldnt play growing up with a single-mother. To play in NJ it wouldve been close to $2k just for year 1, with equipment and insurance which was required at the time (dunno if it still is), PLUS travel costs.

I dont really think there is an easy fix for the problem, either. Hockey requires a lot of gear, a place to play (rinks arent abundant like basketball courts here) and time. Lots and lots of time.

Im 30 and it kills me that Ive never played on ice.
It's not too late to start!

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:34 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Tennis can be expensive. Coaching, clinics, camps. Mind you, your good enough, all sponsored.
I can vouch for this. I grew up playing junior tennis in the 70s in central Florida, and eventually quit by age 16, in large part because I kept drawing kids from all over the planet in the first round, who would arrive on this old school bus from something called the Nick Bollitieri Tennis Academy.

Out of nostalgia, I found his website recently to see what he charges these days and

(and like I tell my beer league teammates who "hate to lose", you haven't really experienced losing until you play a dual sport like tennis, where when you lose, it's just you - no shared blame, etc.)

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
It's not too late to start!
Wouldnt even know where to start. I get the basics of ice skating, but the last time I went for an open session (like 10 years ago) I damn near faceplanted trying to learn how to stop.

Then again, I was using rental skates that were likely dull, and probably werent a good fit tbh.

If anyone has any tips on how to get started at 30, by all means, Im listening.

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
I can vouch for this. I grew up playing junior tennis in the 70s in central Florida, and eventually quit by age 16, in large part because I kept drawing kids from all over the planet in the first round, who would arrive on this old school bus from something called the Nick Bollitieri Tennis Academy.

Out of nostalgia, I found his website recently to see what he charges these days and
Bought by International Management Group in 87: www.imgacademy.com and branched out into other sports, activities. But ya, Tennis. Bolliteri having Coached Boris Becker, Agassi, Monica Seles, the lot.... Very pricey indeed. IMG really got its start in Tennis & Golf, its player management division including Wayne Gretzky & others at various times.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Playing house league, my first year it would have cost me about 1000 dollars. That's mostly equipment since I didn't have any.

After that, between travel, a few sticks, extra tournaments it would have cost about 700 dollars.

The kid in the op must have went to some prestigious camps. The only camp I attended was only 200-300.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:48 PM
NorthernILHawksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
Thank god for minnesota high school hockey. $70 registration fee
Really wish more states had actual high school hockey. In Illinois, there's high school teams named after the school but not actually affiliated with it. Really feel like the state would produce more players if the Illinois High School Association sponsored the sport.

NorthernILHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:26 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBoss View Post

No chance. Once your kid plays a year of travel hockey with all the experiences and all the friends he is gonna make, he will quit hockey before "going back to house". Hell you might feel the same way to

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
And for the kids, it's all about the knee hockey in the hotel hallways.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernILHawksFan View Post
Really wish more states had actual high school hockey. In Illinois, there's high school teams named after the school but not actually affiliated with it. Really feel like the state would produce more players if the Illinois High School Association sponsored the sport.
Same in SoCal. My local rink tried to start up a league for the local high schools. The state wouldn't sanction it unless it was non-contact. I mean football is huge out here and its ok...hockey no chance...

So they just made the league and kids "play for their school" but get none of the benefits, ie cost/class credit.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:39 AM
tucker3434

Wow, never spent that much. My parents must have been cheap. I had a lot of second hand stuff, until I couldn't find it anymore. When I started trying to find size 14 skates is when it started getting expensive. Luckily, that was in the twilight of my hockey playing days.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:47 AM
joelef

Hockey In the Twin Cities was destroyed when it went from outdoor rinks at the local to park to the indoor super expensive sport it is today.

joelef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:58 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
Hockey In the Twin Cities was destroyed when it went from outdoor rinks at the local to park to the indoor super expensive sport it is today.
When did the transition happen?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
My future children will be great soccer players!

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Hampe
The Hampster

And that's why I grew up playing soccer. As much as my dad loved hockey, I'll never wonder why he didn't let me play. We weren't exactly rich...

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote