HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Sacco to be hired as assistant

Old
07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
as an Avalanche fan, I will say that Sacco does have one feather in his hat: he has done quite well at cultivating young talent. The under-25 prospects-to-players on Colorado's rosters of the past few years all performed quite well under Sacco's tenure, including but not limited to Duchene, O'Reilly, Stewart, Shattenkirk, Wilson, Mueller, Jones, Yip, Gagliardi, Landeskog, Elliott, Barrie, McGinn. His other numerous faults aside, he will likely do well with Buffalo's young players.
Development might be the entire reason he's here.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
littletonhockeycoach

This probably comes across as more combative than I really mean it to be but I watched this coach and the Avs franchise slide downhill for 4 seasons up front and personal. I think the young player development label attached to Sacco is a myth and I have examples but I won't bore people with this history.

I'm all for moving forward to see what Rolston can get out of Sacco. I just caution that the Sabres can't afford any more screw ups.

It's a matter of opinion. Mine versus the world.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
I just caution that the Sabres can't afford any more screw ups.
Or else what exactly?

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:29 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
This probably comes across as more combative than I really mean it to be but I watched this coach and the Avs franchise slide downhill for 4 seasons up front and personal. I think the young player development label attached to Sacco is a myth and I have examples but I won't bore people with this history.

I'm all for moving forward to see what Rolston can get out of Sacco. I just caution that the Sabres can't afford any more screw ups.

It's a matter of opinion. Mine versus the world.
So it's nothing to do with the fact that there was unreliable goaltending and the defense was shot to ****. Sacco is not head coach quality, there is no doubt about that, his choices as mentioned were odd at best on occasion but his here to develop players, something he has decent experience doing.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:45 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Or else what exactly?
I have entirely selfish motives....... or else I'll kick the bucket before ever seeing the Sabres win a cup.

Small steps are OK as long as they are steps forward. I don't think this one is.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:06 AM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
So it's nothing to do with the fact that there was unreliable goaltending and the defense was shot to ****. Sacco is not head coach quality, there is no doubt about that, his choices as mentioned were odd at best on occasion but his here to develop players, something he has decent experience doing.
They had quality goaltending. his name was Anderson. Sacco played games with Craigs starts and said things in the press about his game.

I think Varlamov played well in spite of his stats. Most times he would make highlight save after safe only to be overwhelmed at the end. HE ended up burning out. Giguere was a more than adequate backup. So the Avs had goaltending. It wasn't used well.

What they didn't have was a defensive scheme that matched the style of play in their Division (hence the poor Divisional record) and lacked any visible commitment to the forwards playing defense. (Until Jiggy exploded.)

Quincy didn't look so bad on D once he moved to Detroit. Plus there was Sacco's predisposition for giving Hunwick quality minutes when he didn't deserve them. Sacco's decisions on when to play Zanon were horrendous. Funny, both are gone now.

Just who did he develop? Stastny's regressed. Johnson? Hardly. Jones went south. Landeskog caught everyone by surprise year one and injury aside, was not as effective last season. Duchene's improvement is the result of training with Crosby and committing to a complete, training, nutrition and mental discipline regime change. I can go on.

Yeah, I put most of this on the coach and I admittedly don't have much regard for Sacco. All he brings to the Sabres in my opinion is the experience of being in the NHL for the past 4 years. Something that Rolston doesn't have and I'm not convinced that he needs.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:46 AM
redtiger22
Farewell #12

As well as being a Canes fan I also watched a lot of Avs games. Sacco is terrible at managing the game. Maybe he is better suited to be an assistant. Wish you guys nothing but good luck with him.

redtiger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by booser22 View Post
As well as being a Canes fan I also watched a lot of Avs games. Sacco is terrible at managing the game. Maybe he is better suited to be an assistant. Wish you guys nothing but good luck with him.
Treat Sekera well, he was my favorite defenseman on the team.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:34 PM
redtiger22
Farewell #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Treat Sekera well, he was my favorite defenseman on the team.
Oh we will. His ability is something I appreciate and the team def needs him.

redtiger22 is offline   Reply With Quote