HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2 yrs 1 way @ $600,000 for Joey Crabb with Florida.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
Because Howden played in Juniors another year and played in the AHL.

So we care about Howden's development but throwing Barkov to the wolves is fine? Wow.
Barkov has alway played above his age group. Howden hasn't.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:37 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I understand they are a different tier of prospects.

But can you really justify throwing Barkov to the wolves like this when we literally watched it ruin a ton of our prospects over the last decade?

I'm not saying break the bank, but bring in someone to lighten the load.

At this point we are bloody handing Barkov a roster spot instead of making him earn it. Since when has this bored been ok with someone just being handed a job?

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Erick

Quote:

But can you really justify throwing Barkov to the wolves like this when we literally watched it ruin a ton of our prospects over the last decade?

At this point we are bloody handing Barkov a roster spot instead of making him earn it. Since when has this bored been ok with someone just being handed a job?
I've never believed in the theory that prospects become busts because they were rushed. I've always said that Olesz sucked because he sucks. Not everyone is the same. Huberdeau looked just fine last year despite being a teenager.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Wasn't Huberdeau basically handed a job as well?

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ShootIt

Quote:

We are all assuming he'll be handed a spot.
Matthias and Goc are locks.
Maybe Winnie the pooh will be the 4th line center.
That means there will be Shore, Bjugstad and Barkov competing for the other open spot.

So, if he beats those guys out, then he should play right away.
Honestly, Huberdeau could(should) of played his draft year.
Gudbranson could of played his first season, but contract issues(?)

To start, he'll probably get 3rd line minutes with Matthias and Goc taking the "top 2" minutes.
Hell, he could even play in SA if he is so-so.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I have no doubt that the best for Howden is starting in San Antonio. It's crucial that our kids find their scoring touch. He cannot go 18 games without scoring a single point.

Let Shore, Bjugstad, Howden, Trocheck, Petro, etc. play down in SA and make a run at the playoffs down there.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:45 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Don't spend it all in once place Joey...

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Wasn't Huberdeau basically handed a job as well?
Huberdeau was sent back to juniors his first year....

Old
07-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Tallon said that was only because he wasn't big enough yet. Barkov is above average NHL size already. Plus he's already been playing with men for years.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Erick

Quote:
That had nothing to do with his skill level. It was due to lack of size, which isn't a problem with Barkov. I hope Barkov is a lock to make the team because the team would be much worse without him.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:42 PM
SufferingCatFan

Is it too early to start our annual " time to tank" thread?

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:44 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Is it too early to start our annual " time to tank" thread?
I want to say yes for sure, but I'm trying to be an optimist. Let's see how we are say in December. I'm getting the same feeling about this season before I did in 2011, so we'll see...

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I want to say yes for sure, but I'm trying to be an optimist. Let's see how we are say in December. I'm getting the same feeling about this season before I did in 2011, so we'll see...
Really? I don't have that right now. I knew we wouldn't try hard to sign anyone but we do look thin, especially down the middle. Obviously this will change over time but right now, it's not too pretty.

Before the 2011 season I had a strong feeling something good was about to happen, that was lightning in a bottle. If everyone stays healthy, then maybe. But that's a HUGE if.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:52 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Really? I don't have that right now. I knew we wouldn't try hard to sign anyone but we do look thin, especially down the middle. Obviously this will change over time but right now, it's not too pretty.

Before the 2011 season I had a strong feeling something good was about to happen, that was lightning in a bottle. If everyone stays healthy, then maybe. But that's a HUGE if.
Oh, I thought we'd finish around 9th-12th in 2011 before it started, which IF everyone stays healthy I think we'll end up now. Due to last season's injury woes, I'll find it absolutely shocking if we don't have the same issue again. But yeah, now in a much tougher division I'm predicting realistically 13th-dead last. 2011 did teach me that you never know what could happen though.

Old
07-05-2013, 02:03 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
With our new additions, we have "filled" our roster with 23 players ending up around $15 million under the cap.

On offense, we have one young first line winger in Huberdeau, a couple of 2nd liners, and a bunch of vet 3rd and 4th liners and new NHLers. We have no established 1c or 2C center. Bottom-line is that scoring will be a problem.

On defense, we lack a true no.1, but have 3 of a top 4, an aging Jovo as our no. 5 and a couple of AHLers to put in front of a talented, but inconsistent rookie goalie, in Markstrom backed up by a fading Clemmer.

On paper, this is the worst team in the NHL, bare none. It is pretty much the same team that lost almost all of its games the last third of the season and finished with the worst record in the League.

What is the reason for optimism?

Old
07-05-2013, 02:10 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
With our new additions, we have "filled" our roster with 23 players ending up around $15 million under the cap.

On offense, we have one young first line winger in Huberdeau, a couple of 2nd liners, and a bunch of vet 3rd and 4th liners and new NHLers. We have no established 1c or 2C center. Bottom-line is that scoring will be a problem.

On defense, we lack a true no.1, but have 3 of a top 4, an aging Jovo as our no. 5 and a couple of AHLers to put in front of a talented, but inconsistent rookie goalie, in Markstrom backed up by a fading Clemmer.

On paper, this is the worst team in the NHL, bare none. It is pretty much the same team that lost almost all of its games the last third of the season and finished with the worst record in the League.

I really don't have any optimism for this year. Just trying to keep the hope that they'll surprise me and at least be decent. I do have optimism for two to three years down the line IF the prospects all turn out like they should. It's going to be a very depressing year I'm sure, but I've learned to just keep hoping for a great future.

Old
07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
I really don't have any optimism for this year. Just trying to keep the hope that they'll surprise me and at least be decent. I do have optimism for two to three years down the line IF the prospects all turn out like they should. It's going to be a very depressing year I'm sure, but I've learned to just keep hoping for a great future.
This is on the Official Seal of Florida Panthers Fans

Old
07-05-2013, 02:20 PM
ShootIt

Quote:

Not much.

I'll find a way to coax myself that this year could be the year our young guys like Kulikov, Gudbranson, Markstrom, Matthias and among others finally come close to their potential.
Hell, maybe Barkov can become a Calder finalist.

And I'll win the powerball.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:20 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
Quote:

I know I can only mention one team but we're not better than Calgary on paper? Come on man.

Other mentionable teams: Winnipeg, Dallas and Colorado.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:10 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
I know I can only mention one team but we're not better than Calgary on paper? Come on man.

Other mentionable teams: Winnipeg, Dallas and Colorado.
Point well taken, regarding Winnipeg or Calgary as our possible competition for worst. I still believe that we have them beat in terms of lack of talent, but that still suggests that our best course is to go into full tank mode from the get go. When your best case is a top 5 pick at the beginning of the season, you might as will go hard for the no. 1 pick. We need not wait until the TDL trade Flash, Steeg, Goc et al, we can increase our chances by trading them before January...

Old
07-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Joey Crabb ummm okay

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Joey Crabb ummm okay
He's for the 4th line. It's a smart 4th line signing, better than a grinder with no hands.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He's for the 4th line. It's a smart 4th line signing, better than a grinder with no hands.
Yep, I like the signing. He'll be good down there and that line obviously needed help.

07-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Um well from his time on the leafs, I can tell u that he will definitely "put out" for you, and maybe chip in a goal here or there. Definitely not the worst signing of the day though.

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:32 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Stupid move. This takes a spot away from someone like Howden.

Yaaaaah lets ignore out glaring need at center and sign someone who we have about 15 other options on the roster already for.

Not a fan of this move at all. Pointless.
Have you seen him play?

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote