HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Fire Poile

Old
07-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Woah, you guys can be pretty irrational sometimes. While he hasn't gotten any huge names so far, free agency only being three and a half hours old, he's definitely improved our depth. And Stalberg was one of the bigger free agent forwards our there.

With Jones and these signings we definitely have a better group then last year, even without the injuries, not to mention our young forwards coming up.

I still trust that he knows what he's doing, these are all predators moves, and like it or not we are the Nashville Predators.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Stranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Except when the team had the top PP and was 8th in overall scoring. Injuries had a lot to do with last year's scoring woes.
But again, that team didn't have the game breaker up front and we were shutdown again in the playoffs. We relied on a PP for scoring and those get shutdown in the playoffs. And that team had Erat, Kostitsyn and Suter. All gone from our roster.

We can throw that figure out all day but we still didn't make it to the conference finals or finals.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:41 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
But again, that team didn't have the game breaker up front and we were shutdown again in the playoffs. We relied on a PP for scoring and those get shutdown in the playoffs.

We can throw that figure out all day but we still didn't make it to the conference finals or finals.
Pittsburgh got swept with how many game breakers?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Pittsburgh got swept with how many game breakers?
If that is your logic then I don't even know what to say. You can do the research yourself on the forwards the Stanley Cup winners have had since the season long lockout years ago. And yes, one of those includes the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:48 PM
iKiwi

lets see what happens on the ice before saying anything

iKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:49 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I don't think you need gamebreakers in the playoffs on offense. You can do just as well with a hot goalie and shutdown defense.

I actually like the Stalberg and Cullen signings but he should've just stopped there. If some other team was willing to give Hendricks and Nystrom 4 year deals, especially at $1.85 and 2.5 AAV, good for them those are just not the kind of signings the Preds should be making. Especially this early in free agency.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

What Poile did today was stupid and reckless. To be saddled with that much money with essentially 4th liners... wtf

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
PFL615

The panel on TSN called the Preds a winner on todays signings. I agree with them. Are bottom guys are now better than ever. Stalberg will be am upgrade over SK.
I don't think we are done.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
If that is your logic then I don't even know what to say. You can do the research yourself on the forwards the Stanley Cup winners have had since the season long lockout years ago. And yes, one of those includes the Pittsburgh Penguins.
You're the one who equated game breakers to success with a definitive,almost guarantee conveyed. Not my fault that a team with multiple game breakers got swept this year by a team without them. Teams win Cups with star scorers and committee scoring.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Stranger

Quote:
You're the one who equated game breakers to success with a definitive,almost guarantee conveyed. Not my fault that a team with multiple game breakers got swept this year by a team without them. Teams win Cups with star scorers and committee scoring.
Show me where I said having gamebreakers guaranteed success.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Said they have addressed "all of our needs"

I dunno what to think about this. I would assume this means guys like Spals and Smith get traded for picks or prospects.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:09 PM
GeauxPreds

So now that I've calmed down a bit from the instant gut reaction of "what the hell is going on" I'm starting to feel better about this. We basically overpaid a bit to shore up our depth for the season(while adding grit and size) so that we don't have a season like last season. And thanks for the fact that we cleared out Sergie and Hal Gill it won't eat into our available cap space incase we trade for a big contract. I would still like to see a legitimate top 6 fwd come to the preds in a trade but today wasn't all negatives for me.

GeauxPreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Woah, you guys can be pretty irrational sometimes.
I'm a lurker on this board, and that's the way I feel about most of the posters, especially the old-timers. A little too-much freakout for my tastes.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
I figured it out! Poile built a machine that can combine two forwards into one. He went out and got 4 bottom 6 forwards and plans to run then through the machine to create two top 6 forwards. See, poile knows exactly what be is doing!

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Hockeyfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Woah, you guys can be pretty irrational sometimes. While he hasn't gotten any huge names so far, free agency only being three and a half hours old, he's definitely improved our depth. And Stalberg was one of the bigger free agent forwards our there.

With Jones and these signings we definitely have a better group then last year, even without the injuries, not to mention our young forwards coming up.

I still trust that he knows what he's doing, these are all predators moves, and like it or not we are the Nashville Predators.
The Predators just gave three of these new forward free agents 4 year deals. If I am one of the young forwards coming up I say to myself, "Where is there any room for me in Nashville anytime soon"?

Hockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:59 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
And we haven't addressed that we were the lowest scoring team in the league last year. And that was with Erat and Kostitsyn.

The thing for me is that I don't feel like our bottom players were the main issue last year. I'll stand by what I think the team has needed for years: A game changer up front. We've tried the even scoring approach before. It hasn't worked.

I don't feel like a small market team like us should be spending that kind of money on bottom line players when the real team need is to address our scoring. Stalberg is a nice 3rd line, maybe 2nd line player. He's a good signing, but isn't the answer here.

Obviously the season isn't starting tomorrow, but you just have to wonder what is going on. Hendricks and Nystrom make 0 sense.
Actually I read that Cullen would've been our top scoring forward last year. And there's a stat somewhere showing how Stalberg has scored more goals than a bunch of other younger big names getting paid twice as much. I'll trust Poile over internet posters. Stalberg didn't break top 6 in Chicago but look at their top 6! He'll get a chance to flourish here.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:00 PM
vandyfan84

I'm all for firing Poile.

He is not a salesman. And in this league, we've seen it's more than just paying more than your competition. You have to sell these guys your franchise and that is something Poile has earned a big fat F in.

vandyfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:05 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Actually I read that Cullen would've been our top scoring forward last year. And there's a stat somewhere showing how Stalberg has scored more goals than a bunch of other younger big names getting paid twice as much. I'll trust Poile over internet posters. Stalberg didn't break top 6 in Chicago but look at their top 6! He'll get a chance to flourish here.
Stalberg is also younger and does not have a injury prone history. Stalberg is going to be a nice nice playet in Nashville.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Holtbyisms
L-O-S-E LOSELOSELOSE

We'll trade you McPhee for him.

Holtbyisms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:41 PM
PredsFanFromla

Poile must have been drunk when making all these deals today

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
Poile must have been drunk when making all these deals today
You always overpay in free agency.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Flgatorguy87

Holy Overreaction batman! The sky is falling!

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Legionnaire11

On paper, it looks pretty bad... But this team on ice might end up getting back to "Predators" hockey circa 98-04, except with more talent (Wilson, Forsberg, Weber, Josi, Rinne).

It may end up being exactly the right mix and bring back the "Hardest working team in hockey". It could also totally bomb and McDavid is headed for Nashville in 2014. We won't know for several months.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:14 PM
PFL615

People must not be looking around at other contracts if they are up in arms about the Preds.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
The panel on TSN called the Preds a winner on todays signings. I agree with them. Are bottom guys are now better than ever. Stalberg will be am upgrade over SK.
I don't think we are done.
What did they say on TSN?

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote