HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Cullen and Viktor Stalberg to NSH

Old
07-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Cullen is not a 4th line center and for only 2 years this deal isn't that bad. Obviously Poile missed out on Briere and Ribero but wanted to bring in a center with some skill still. Cullen is still good for 50 points or so if he plays a full year.

So no it's not the top line player that we wanted but Fisher,Leggy,Cullen are three solid 40-50 point producers. Line up will be balanced but still no top line player like we were hoping.
Why not Roy or even Grabo? Instead we got the back from the future edition of legwand and fisher.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
INDhockeyfan

Cullen was a 2nd line center when he was younger. He can play wing as well. He played with Fisher for a short time in Ottawa a few years ago on the same line as a wing. He's old but he can be a top 6 player.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:58 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Why not Roy or even Grabo? Instead we got the back from the future edition of legwand and fisher.
Well nobody claimed Grabo so obviously his contract is considered an albatross by everybody in the league and maybe neither one wanted to come here.

I don't have the answers. The moves today are odd I agree with that. But ultimately I think we will have a better forward group next year so I'll wait till I see the results until I throw Poile under the bus.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
utkpred

Quote:
Poile: Stalberg will be given chance to realize full offensive potential.
Meet our newest member of the first line... jesus

utkpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:21 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Cullen is a really good two way center. He's a better fit for the 3rd line on the top teams in the league, but is a 2nd line center on mid tier teams, and is also decent as a winger as well.

On the Wild he was the clear cut #2 center.

He's one of the best shootout players in the league, scoring in the shootout over 40% of the time. He had 11 shootout goals this past season alone.

He's got great speed and is really good along the boards. He's an ok passer and has a decent shot. He's an elite defender and thus great on the pk. He's also very good in the faceoff circle.

The Wild wanted him back, but simply didn't have the space capwise for him since they couldn't buyout heatley's last year due to his late season injury.

Also saw this on twitter...

Michael Russo retweeted

Cullen says Ryan Suter told him some good things about Nashville this season

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:44 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I'm totally fine with this move. We are gonna roll balanced lines. Back to Preds hockey.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:37 PM
vopatsdad
Rookie User

Suter: The gift that keeps on giving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post

Also saw this on twitter...

Michael Russo retweeted

Cullen says Ryan Suter told him some good things about Nashville this season
Really don't need anymore of Suter's help.

vopatsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:51 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Well nobody claimed Grabo so obviously his contract is considered an albatross by everybody in the league and maybe neither one wanted to come here.

I don't have the answers. The moves today are odd I agree with that. But ultimately I think we will have a better forward group next year so I'll wait till I see the results until I throw Poile under the bus.
I'm thinking no one claimed him so they can try to get that number down a bit. He will be getting paid some by Toronto, so he could be more receptive of taking a smaller AAV now.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Sedin
HFBoards Sponsor

Nashville made quite a splash on opening day, I'd say.

Sedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:12 AM
snakepliskin

you guys are selling cullen short! He is rock solid consistent and can play wing too if we were not so deep at center i would have loved to have him back in Carolina--you are fortunate to have him--he spent a lot of time on staals wing when we won the cupp!

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:17 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post
you guys are selling cullen short! He is rock solid consistent and can play wing too if we were not so deep at center i would have loved to have him back in Carolina--you are fortunate to have him--he spent a lot of time on staals wing when we won the cupp!
thats good to hear... and btw... awesome screen name!

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:23 AM
57special

vCash: 50
I would say that Cullen is a better than Ok passer. Just ask Devin Setoguchi.

He is one of those players who is more valuable than his stats. I know the Wild wanted to keep him, but couldn't because of Cap considerations. In any event, the contract is only for two years. Hardly a disaster. In any other off season he would've had a three year deal.

I thought he was the Wild's third best forward (after Parise and Koivu) last year, though that might be damning him with faint praise.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Teppo

Cullen skates like a 26 year old. He has not lost a step.

Teppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm liking what I am hearing about Cullen's conditioning. I'm not comparing him to Jagr as a player, but Jagr is a testament to how staying in very good shape, training hard and taking care of your body can allow you to be an effective player well into your 30s or even 40s. Lidstrom is another example, as well as Gelinas. Those guys all trained incredibly hard, and it showed on the ice (even if they don't all have the same abilities).

Last edited by TMI: 07-07-2013 at 05:16 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm liking what I am hearing about Cullen's conditioning. I'm not comparing him to Jagr as a player, but Jagr is a testament to how staying in very good shaping, training hard and taking care of your body can allow you to be an effective player well into your 30s or even 40s. Lidstrom is another example, as well as Gelinas. Those guys all trained incredibly hard, and it showed on the ice (even if they don't all have the same abilities).
It's also about their leadership skills. Gelinas saved Tootoo's career and had an impact on many others in terms of taking care of your body, eating right, giving your body the needed rest, working out to keep in shape, etc. it was why Gelinas was immediately offered the player development position, why he excelled there, and why he's now in the NHL behind the bench.

Matt Cullen was brought in to add a veteran presence to the young club. He'll have the attention of the room.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Infinite Jest

Yeah, I know it isn't "sexy", but the Preds added a ton of heart and character this offseason. In Nystrom and Hendricks they got two guys that will give everything they have every second they're on the ice. They're going to forecheck relentlessly, hit everything that moves and stand up for their teamates. Cullen is a very hard worker that adds a veteran presence and leadership.

I'm excited to see a return to "Preds" hockey after the complete lack of puck possesion, physicality and forecheck that we have seen the past two seasons.

Edit: Not to mention we basically completely fixed our shootout ineptitude with the addition of Cullen and Hendricks,

Last edited by Infinite Jest: 07-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:44 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Im good with winning a bunch of one goal games if we go back to the hard working team that punished visitors on regular basis. Im good with these additions.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:20 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
Im good with winning a bunch of one goal games if we go back to the hard working team that punished visitors on regular basis. Im good with these additions.
Same here.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote