HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2013, 11:29 PM
  #976
xlnc66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parch View Post
The Oilers being a little too generous with contracts is a big reason why they've been in trouble for so long. I'm having the same worries with Gagner.
That's the one thing i have to give Mike Gillis credit for. He's always able to get the players to sign/resign at a discount, whether it be the Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, etc.

xlnc66 is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 11:33 PM
  #977
MetaOil1993
Registered User
 
MetaOil1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
That's the one thing i have to give Mike Gillis credit for. He's always able to get the players to sign/resign at a discount, whether it be the Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, etc.
I don't give him credit for Hamhuis since he only wanted to sign in Vancouver anyway iicr.

MetaOil1993 is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 07:13 AM
  #978
Lewy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
I have people telling me Gagner signed last night. Is this the tooth?

Lewy is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 08:18 AM
  #979
Slatsmsg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 556
vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I have people telling me Gagner signed last night. Is this the tooth?
Haven't heard this yet but am really happy if its true. Our center position is weak, we need t start adding to this roster and Gags needs to be here. As for the number, at this pt, I don't really care.

Slatsmsg is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
  #980
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I have people telling me Gagner signed last night. Is this the tooth?
Apparently Feaster is working out an offer sheet with Gagner's agent. Apparently anywhere between an 18-20 piece bucket over 4 years, front-loaded with a NTC, NMC, choice of ten sides, and a gravy kickback.

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
07-03-2013, 08:43 AM
  #981
Lewy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Apparently Feaster is working out an offer sheet with Gagner's agent. Apparently anywhere between an 18-20 piece bucket over 4 years, front-loaded with a NTC, NMC, choice of ten sides, and a gravy kickback.
Ken king gave feaster a "gravy" contract??

Lewy is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 08:46 AM
  #982
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,625
vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
Oilers could always upgrade at 2C and throw Gags on the LW. Might be nice to have faceoff capable guys on one line.

Hall RNH Ebs
Gags (Insert Center Here) Yak
Morrow Antro Brown
Smyth Lapierre Gagne

Would be nice if we could make it fit under the cap, maybe possible if Nurse makes it out of camp.
and who do you suggest the oilers get, and how?
also not sure how the oilers get all the players you've added to their roster, even if they do want them.

Gord is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 08:49 AM
  #983
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
I don't blame gags for wanting a no trade. If my name came up every time at trade deadlines, i would too.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 08:51 AM
  #984
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,312
vCash: 7000
NTC's and NMC's are to keep people from being traded TO Edmonton, not being traded from Edmonton.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
  #985
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,646
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
NTC's and NMC's are to keep people from being traded TO Edmonton, not being traded from Edmonton.
Very much this.

Gagner demanding a NMC isn't about him wanting to stay in Edmonton, it's about him not wanting to get shipped to a cap floor team when we finally find a suitable replacement for him.

If this contract makes Gagner in anyway untradeable (Horcoff style), I want no part of it.

worraps is online now  
Old
07-03-2013, 09:11 AM
  #986
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
I'll **** a brick if Gagner gets a no trade clause.
Then put that brick in a paper bag on MacTs porch and lite the **** up.

SS's transformation to Horcoff Jr is almost complete!

nabob is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 10:04 AM
  #987
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,895
vCash: 500
I want Gagner to sign here, I would under no circumstance offer a NTC, NMC. This is MacT's chance as a new gm to institute a team rule, known to all that the team will never include those clauses as long as he is the gm. Waive another 250,000 or so in front of his nose instead.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
  #988
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,698
vCash: 157
sign and trade?

BoldNewLettuce is online now  
Old
07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
  #989
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
I like Gagner, but I don't know if he's the right #2 C for this team right now.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
  #990
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I don't blame gags for wanting a no trade. If my name came up every time at trade deadlines, i would too.
I don't blame him for asking for one either. But if he wants one then he should take at least 500K off his asking price.

I am all for keeping Gagner, but not on a 4+ year deal at 4.75 with a full NTC. That kind of contract would handcuff the Oilers badly.

s7ark is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  #991
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,974
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I don't blame him for asking for one either. But if he wants one then he should take at least 500K off his asking price.

I am all for keeping Gagner, but not on a 4+ year deal at 4.75 with a full NTC. That kind of contract would handcuff the Oilers badly.
4mill with a NTC consisting of 10 teams he WON'T go to is quite fair IMO. This 4/5/6/10 teams willing to be traded to thing is ******** and a good way to ruin any trade value.

T-Funk is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  #992
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,080
vCash: 500
I wonder if mact is dragging his heels on this because of the free agency period? If Mact can get someone like Filpula, then gagner can be moved for a defenceman.

If gagner is signed with a ntc, that can't happen. Gagner might be our best trading chip to get a dman but he has to be replaced first.

Mr Sakich is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:15 AM
  #993
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,292
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I wonder if mact is dragging his heels on this because of the free agency period? If Mact can get someone like Filpula, then gagner can be moved for a defenceman.

If gagner is signed with a ntc, that can't happen. Gagner might be our best trading chip to get a dman but he has to be replaced first.
It's not the worst idea to just bide your time. There's no immediate hurry to sign Gagner. They already qualified him.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:26 AM
  #994
NeutralZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I like Gagner, but I don't know if he's the right #2 C for this team right now.
Problem is we don't have "the right" player for 1/2 of the positions on this team: #2LW, #2C, #3C, #3RW, #4LW, #4C, #4RW, #1d, #2d, #2g,

Any players we get back for Gagner are probably easier to acquire than the right #2c to replace him. No team is ever going to be perfect.

NeutralZone is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 02:55 PM
  #995
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,522
vCash: 500
So Bozak signs today 5 years @ 4.2m per heading into UFA...

Would like to get Gagner locked up around that number.

SephF is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 03:02 PM
  #996
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,625
vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
So Bozak signs today 5 years @ 4.2m per heading into UFA...

Would like to get Gagner locked up around that number.
I'd be totally cool with that.

Gord is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 03:23 PM
  #997
Verdadero
Rookie User
 
Verdadero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
If I'm Gagner then I simply accept the Oilers qualifying offer and go UFA next summer. Only lose a relatively small amount of cash next season, avoids the bad blood associated with arb, and he can pick the situation that suits him best. Very appealing player as a UFA given his age and he can decide his own future.

Verdadero is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 04:03 PM
  #998
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
If I'm Gagner then I simply accept the Oilers qualifying offer and go UFA next summer. Only lose a relatively small amount of cash next season, avoids the bad blood associated with arb, and he can pick the situation that suits him best. Very appealing player as a UFA given his age and he can decide his own future.
Exactly.
Look what kind of deals are being handed out. Gagner would be a Free Agent Frenzy Golden Goose. The kid could be looking at 8x6mil next summer.. and he would still only be 31 at the end of it.

Oiy


Last edited by dem: 07-05-2013 at 04:09 PM.
dem is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 04:41 PM
  #999
OnTheBrink
Registered User
 
OnTheBrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Exactly.
Look what kind of deals are being handed out. Gagner would be a Free Agent Frenzy Golden Goose. The kid could be looking at 8x6mil next summer.. and he would still only be 31 at the end of it.

Oiy
Exactly so Mac T better get him locked up to a deal like Bozak's. At least to protect our assets Gagner is still very tradeable at approx. 4.25M/yr

OnTheBrink is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 04:43 PM
  #1000
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
Exactly so Mac T better get him locked up to a deal like Bozak's. At least to protect our assets Gagner is still very tradeable at approx. 4.25M/yr

I'd agree. I was in the "jesus christ don't overpay Sam Gagner" camp... but we are going to lose him for nothing if he goes to market.

Its absolutely insane out there.

dem is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.