HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I'm guessing we didn't qualify Brennan since Toronto just signed him??
Fax machine wasn't working

Old
07-05-2013, 04:17 PM
utkpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
OT, but Bryan Murray sounds like a silly old man in this Alfredsson press conference.
It's pretty sad, they act like losing Alfredsson and adding Ryan is a bad thing. Damn conference feels like a funeral.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Jubal

Suter talked Cullen into Nashville. He told him a lot of great things about the city and organization. Cullen is apparently more excited now than he has ever been in his career.

Weber called Nystrom after he was signed.

Fisher drove Hendricks around Nashville on Wednesday.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Apparently Suter talked Cullen into Nashville. Suter apparently told him a lot of great things about the city and organization. Cullen is apparently more excited now than he has ever been in his career.

Cool.

I guess.

If our offense was nearing the worst in the NHL, and we, by our GM's words "replaced Erat." What have we really replaced?

These aren't terrible players, most are actually quite good at what they do (with Stalberg being the lone "potential" player that we signed), and some of the deals are reasonable (stalberg/cullen). But the collective 4 signings, managment quotes, and direction this franchise generally takes in regards to forwards is baffling to me.

07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Suter talked Cullen into Nashville. He told him a lot of great things about the city and organization. Cullen is apparently more excited now than he has ever been in his career.

love to hear this.... thanks...

fire poile... still lmao

Old
07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Oh my god Suter ****ed us twice. Once with leading Poile on and once convincing Cullen to come to Nashville, allowing David Poile to overpay another redundant piece.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:25 PM
utkpred

Old
07-05-2013, 04:29 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Decent lineup... It's just too expensive. I guess Cullen and VS are expected to step up

Old
07-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Cool.

I guess.

If our offense was nearing the worst in the NHL, and we, by our GM's words "replaced Erat." What have we really replaced?

These aren't terrible players, and some of the deals are very good. But the collective 4 signings, managment quotes, and direction this franchise generally takes in regards to forwards is baffling to me.
That's the biggest thing, and I say this fully knowing that Forsberg could be that guy one day. However, Cullen is barely a replacement for Erat, and right now - Forsberg can't be counted on to significantly upgrade the team. So we're basically at a wash in that area.

All offseason, we were led to believe we'd add someone dynamic to our front lines, as we were struggling to score goals consistently even with Erat on the roster. Initially, we looked at the draft to provide an answer (though it would've still taken time, being in this situation would've been easier to swallow with a FF9/Mac/Drouin/Barkov combo waiting in the wings).

When that didn't happen (and I love the pick) and we got Jones, we all naturally assumed we'd make a big splash in FA. Poile even said as much. Well, we made a splash, but not in the way we were expecting. If Cullen is basically a wash from Erat, that really leaves us with Stalberg as our big new acquisition. I like Stalberg, a lot, but better names, that could have helped us more, were certainly out there.

Are we a better team today than we were yesterday? Absolutely, but this offseason was framed from our own expectations and FO quotes as adding a new, dynamic weapon to the team (in addition to Forsberg) that we hadn't seen in ages. As of now, that hasn't happened, so naturally everyone is feeling a bit disheartened. Maybe we are working on a trade to acquire a legit guy, maybe we aren't. We'll still win games next year and likely be way better than we were this last season, but just the way this whole offseason has gone down has, to this point, felt like a tad of a bummer. We start next season with one of the best defensive prospects in a generation and a replenished bottom line of players that will add size, speed, and grit to our team - but almost everyone here was expecting, or at least hoping, that a 30+ goal scorer or at least 60+ point player would be suiting up to start the season. If it was a draftee, we of course would've been willing to wait a bit, but it seems like the FO was more interested in returning to the status quo rather than adding a truly unique element to our roster.

I'm hoping they're not done, and in all likelihood they aren't, but if you would've told me yesterday we'd be spending 36 million dollars on the first day of free agency - I would've expected to feel a lot more optimistic than I currently do.

Last edited by Mercalius: 07-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old
07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Our center ice position has a lot more depth, but it is still significantly inferior to most teams down the middle. Our wingers are inexperienced and unproductive.

If anything, this offseason has added clear roles to our lineup. Hendricks-Gaustad-Nystrom will be tenacious, hard-hitting, face-off winning, and defensive oriented. The offensive talent on that line is pretty minuscle, but it should be counted on to ice anywhere from 10-15 minutes as a ridiculously over-priced 4th line/specialty line. (7.85 million for our fourth line, ridiculous).

Our transition game should be better. Our fourth line is more like a 3b shut down line. Hopefully we get healthy and Colin Wilson becomes a star with Stalberg becoming a legitimate top 6 consistent forward.

Otherwise, we are dead in the water. Again.

Lot's of ifs that are unnecessary.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Free Agent Day Traditions:

1.) Disappointment
2.) Me heading to a Happy Hour to deal with #1

Old
07-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Hockeyfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Poile ****ed up money and term wise with the exception of Stalberg

I'm not happy
I agree with you on this.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Not amazing, not terrible. We needed some top end offensive talent, but as we learned last year, we also needed more depth. Stalberg will be great here I think; the others have improved our depth. I don't think we're winning the Cup next year, but I think we're a playoff team.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Hockeyfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So Poile is doing the HF Boards approach. Spend a ton of money a quantity as opposed to spending the same amount of money on quality. We are overpaying for 4th liners. Stalberg's deal was actually decent comparatively. To pay Cullen, Hendricks and Nystrom this sort of money is insane. Why not take that money and overpay for a true top 6 player. I don't think anyone here would've cried or been pissed if we had spent $5-6 million on Ribiero, Weiss, Grabovski, Roy or any one of the true top 6 talents out there. To spend this sort of money on fringe NHL players is absurd. Maybe he wants to get fired and honestly, if I'm an owner, especially Bret Wilson, I'd be making a phone call firing this guy. So replace guys with the same guys but at a higher rate. Yeah, that makes sense.
I agree with you here also. Might as well let some of the younger guys coming up play and get experience. Would definitely be cheaper and would have left money for a better top 6 player for us to get.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:48 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Not amazing, not terrible. We needed some top end offensive talent, but as we learned last year, we also needed more depth. Stalberg will be great here I think; the others have improved our depth. I don't think we're winning the Cup next year, but I think we're a playoff team.
Agreed. I think it was a satisfactory day at best but I don't understand why some people are crying or getting extremely mad. We'll see if DP was right or wrong soon enough but we haven't seen what team will be on the ice in game one yet. There are some pieces that will still be moved methinks. And, barring injuries, I also think we are a playoff team.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:50 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Free Agent Day Traditions:

1.) Disappointment
2.) Me heading to a Happy Hour to deal with #1
can i retweet this?

Old
07-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Agreed. I think it was a satisfactory day at best but I don't understand why some people are crying or getting extremely mad. We'll see if DP was right or wrong soon enough but we haven't seen what team will be on the ice in game one yet. There are some pieces that will still be moved methinks. And, barring injuries, I also think we are a playoff team.
Agreed. I think we're getting back to the scrappy/"ugly" style of hockey a bit, but also think we have a pretty solid shot at the playoffs. Also agree that I don't believe we are done yet this off-season.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We essentially took a 4 year gamble to do the same thing we already are doing. I think that is why there is frustration.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:52 PM
utkpred

We are getting zero love on the NHL network.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't know, we're now a tougher team to play against for sure. We just need Beck, Bourque and Forsberg to keep improving.

And to me Cullen/Stalberg are better than SK/Erat.

We're faster, and tougher now.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:54 PM
weeze

Not saying Grabovski is/was the answer to all our problems BUT he would be the Top 6 we have been needing! And would have had at a better $$ than some we picked up today.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:56 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Agreed. I think we're getting back to the scrappy/"ugly" style of hockey a bit, but also think we have a pretty solid shot at the playoffs. Also agree that I don't believe we are done yet this off-season.
If we are going in this direction, and we probably are, I'd rather watch Tootoo and Big Ern.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
It's the internet; rationality is not welcome here.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
Not saying Grabovski is/was the answer to all our problems BUT he would be the Top 6 we have been needing! And would have had at a better $$ than some we picked up today.
Has he even signe yet? Or is he not a fa?

Old
07-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Has he even signe yet? Or is he not a fa?
He's getting married today. Contract talks are probably low on his priority list, relatively speaking.

Closed Thread