HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 04:52 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 4

Continue

Old
overlords
Hfboards

no u

Old
Gally11

lol i went to shower and got trolled... had a missed text saying pleks to philly for symmonds and talbot

Old
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Continue here

Old
Bask
Embellishing User

i'm mad about everything and nothing is ever right, and i'm going to post about it

rahhhhh

Old
07-05-2013, 04:53 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Ottawa's d are fairly solid but the still don't have any second line wingers unless you count Colin Greening and Clarke Macarthur second line winger. Not only that, Silverberg this past year was a borderline 2nd line player who will become a surefire 2nd line player and they also gave up a 1st and top prospect so they can't become good players for the Sens and they can't use those assets to get better players through trade. And they lost their captain and heart and soul of the organiation. Even if you put Michalek or Ryan on the 2nd line with Turris then you have one of the above mentioned on the first line. Toronto is pretty much the same team though they added a guy who has 1 30+ goal season, will have the spotlight on him for the amount of money he's making, and is more likely to be a Martin Lapointe 2.0 than anything else. They added Bolland for an insanely cheap price and I do like that deal though.

Detroit did add a couple of solid pieces and Alfy fits in with their east/west possession style but let's be honest, I don't see them any more or less scary than than they already were since they were pretty damn scary. Boston just lost two of their top 6, 3rd line center, #4 defenseman, and Jagr and replaced them so far with Eriksson who is phenomenal but I don't see being much more (if any) better than Horton. Florida has done nothing, and Tampa used the room they used on the Vinny buyout on Hudler/Leino 2.0.

We replaced a one dimensional player who didn't show up in the playoffs and who hated Montreal with a slightly more useful one dimensional player since he can actually pass for the same amount of money. And a goon which helps.

Not saying this gives MB a pass because he still has a ton of work to do but let's look at the big picture here guys. The other teams in our division got marginally better AT BEST and to do it came at a heavy price. And we're only on the first day.

Old
EveryDay

Try to get Kane or Stewart at least.....

Old
Rosso Scuderia

OT but what's going on in Buffalo? I don't recalled hearing them even once today on tv. I don't even think I can name more than 5 of their forwards.

Old
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
hell some people still think Kostitsyn and Guimauve have some fuel left in their tank

but to be honest I think Galchenyuk is better than all of those and Gallagher as some potential, you're about right on everything else though
Of course Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Subban and Patches are a better young-core than the previously mentioned core. We all know this. It's just that the arguments,and Bergevin's excuses sound identical to Gainey's and that bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
MB is way more up front about always being active, etc. Gainey was always revealing stuff long after it was too late. Not to mention MB understands the modern NHL way better and I believe we are much better off having him develop our pro scouting and front office than Gainey.

I will admit I hate the DD extension, but what I'm saying is he's been GM for one year, and he's already made mass improvements (with a long way to go). We're trying to guess his next move, but we just need to be a bit more patient before throwing him to the wolves.
Bergevin was as secretive as Gauthier today. I don't know where you get the notion that he's upfront... unless revealing his character fetish is something that took you by surprise.

People keep telling me he's been GM for one year and I shouldn't comment but that doesn't make sense - you assess a player, a coach, a gm as time goes on, in a continuous ever-evolving manner. As OneSharpMarble said, Bergevin looked like a genius with the Subban extension but then when he gave DD the extension and then Bouillon, the Subban deal looked reckless and unfair and arrogant. He didn't trust PK (Norris - 2013) but trusted Desharnais (who proceeded to suck, in case you don't recall).

So far he's been arrogant and full of excuses. Prices are too high? Too bad, make our team better or get bent, we're into winning, we're not in the excuses business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Comparing the likes of Galchenyuk to Chipchura now.
Because that's exactly what I was arguing. Sorry kid, you lost this one.

Old
sheed36

52 deals signed today for a total of $360M.. Thank god we lost half a season to control those rising player salaries..

Old
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Right, the Ducks want ANOTHER offensive D and no NHL ready RW to replace their 1st line RW.

Silfverberg was on pace for 17g/32pts in his rookie year and has good enough D to not be a liability+size. Noesen is another big scoring RW that was 21st overall pick 2 years ago.

Face it, Habs don't have young forward depth the Sens have. They only JUST started to stock up with McCaron/DLR/Collberg last 2 drafts after years of throwing away picks and young forwards for nothing.
Exactly. We might have that kind of depth in a 2 to 3 years if our prospects develop well. We're not there yet. That's what you get for trading your picks year after year (Tanguay, Moore, the Wiz...).

Old
07-05-2013, 04:54 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoned View Post
How is this contract going to be a burden exactly? Only 2 years. It's a really low risk move.
Agreed. Assuming his production is solid (doesn't have to be incredible):

-Replace Gio until Gio is healthy
-Bolster the PP
-Clutch scoring
-Mentoring our youngsters about the PP and big game scenarios
-Fully takes Gio's spot when Gio's contract is up.

Not the most ideal signing, but it's actually quite bearable.

Old
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
lol a few days back Kristo was worth a late 1st, now that hes traded hes unproven and not worth a thing, funny hf

anyway Ill take back what I said IF Bergevin makes a good trade to fix the problems but I dont think he will

Old
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
OT but what's going on in Buffalo? I don't recalled hearing them even once today on tv. I don't even think I can name more than 5 of their forwards.
Massive rebuilding effort post-Hurricane Ruff. They're probably waiting for the dust to settle and will then look to deal some of their stars.

Old
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Try to get Kane or Stewart at least.....
you want to bring Patrick Kane in Montreal? "best nightlife in Canada" Montreal?! he's going to die from alcohol poisonning within the first 2 years

Old
sharks9

Glad we didn't get involved in the ****** contracts handed out today.

Good job Bergevin!

Old
07-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Stephane Laporte
@laportestephane

J'écris et je réalise.

Montreal · blogues.cyberpresse.ca/laporte/

Stephane Laporte ‏@laportestephane 1h

Rumeur. Échange Montréal-Philadelphie. Coburn, Simmonds et Talbot pour Plekanec, Beaulieu et Moen.

Old
TT1

Quote:
you want to bring Patrick Kane in Montreal? "best nightlife in Canada" Montreal?! he's going to die from alcohol poisonning within the first 2 years
evander kane obviously

Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
evander

pretty sure the other kane is not on the table

Old
Captain Saku

You guys are talking about our top 6 but it's our defense that worries me, specially with Emelin out until January.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:56 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
Evander lol
(almost the same could be said about him tho )

Old
07-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
evander

pretty sure the other kane is not on the table
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
evander kane obviously
thank god

Old
07-05-2013, 04:57 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
You guys are talking about our top 6 but it's our defense that worries me, specially with Emelin out until January.
yea i really cant believe MB didnt sign a depth D like fistric
i guess theres still time tho, we still need a 4th line C.. unless we plan on using white for the entire season

Old
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Me too, but our system was exposed on both ends of the ice last year so we need bolstering in both directions.

Old
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Stephane Laporte
@laportestephane

J'écris et je réalise.

Montreal · blogues.cyberpresse.ca/laporte/

Stephane Laporte ‏@laportestephane 1h

Rumeur. Échange Montréal-Philadelphie. Coburn, Simmonds et Talbot pour Plekanec, Beaulieu et Moen.
This is SOOOOOOOO 2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 3

Closed Thread